Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,799

Re: Deandre Ayton news and highlights 

Post#1881 » by Saberestar » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:59 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Rodman was an special player, I was a fan.

But he did not play too many years because he was a rookie when he was 25 years old. He started playing really late, that is why he could play well until he was 36/37.

That season that you mentioned with him rebounding over 14 per game was a diaaster and he was cut or sanctioned by the Mavs. He did not play too many games. His career was over at that point.

Ayton can have a longer and even better career. I like that he looks pretty durable and he did not add too many weight in his first couple of seasons in the league.

I posted this Stat on the general forum some time ago, but I still believe it's one of the most craziest achievements I've ever seen:

Dennis Rodman had the most total rebounds in the 1992-1993 season despite missing 25% of the season (he only played 60 games). Of the number 2,3 & 4 in total rebounds (Shaq, Dikembe, Hakeem), Shaq played 81 games, whereas Dikembe and Hakeem played the full 82 games.

And oh yeah, Rodman was 31 years old at the time and came off the bench 5 games that season as well.

Rodman absolutely owned the boards in an era of some of the most dominating big men of all time.

Rodman studied rebounding the way every other player studies shooting mechanics, ball handling, playmaking, defense. He learned how players - especially his teammates - tended to miss shots, so he can move to where the ball would bounce while it was still on its way to the basket. He also had next-level energy: as Phil Jackson said, he was the best athlete he ever coached, because he played as hard in the last minute of the game as he did in the first.

The man hunted rebounds the way Iverson hunted buckets. Would love to see another player in this league with that kind of unreasonable passion for the glass.

I would say that Reggie Evans was a bit like that.

He was an amazing rebounder, but did not have the success that Rodman had during his career.

It is gonna be interesting to see how many rebounds per game will average Ayton in his prime. Seriously, he probably will get over 15 at some point, he is that good at rebounding.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1882 » by Saberestar » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:38 pm

Lindsey. Lindsey. Lindsey.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,365

Post#1883 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 1, 2020 2:08 am

Saberestar wrote:

That was good. I liked his answer about the 3 pt shooting between maybe 23:20-24:30.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1884 » by Saberestar » Wed Mar 4, 2020 5:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#1885 » by MathiasPW » Wed Mar 4, 2020 6:04 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

That was good. I liked his answer about the 3 pt shooting between maybe 23:20-24:30.

I, on the other hand, have the impression he is disconnected from basketball reality, when he says "if you are not stopping me down low, I'm not going out there" or "people are guarding me cause they don't want to be the first team that DA hits the shot".

This is a mental creation. Nobody guards him on the top of the key. Nor are they having trouble keeping him out of the paint and forcing midrange shots.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1886 » by bwgood77 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 6:09 pm

MathiasPW wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

I, on the other hand, have the impression he is disconnected from basketball reality, when he says "if you are not stopping me down low, I'm not going out there" or "people are guarding me cause they don't want to be the first team that DA hits the shot".

This is a mental creation. Nobody guards him on the top of the key. Nor are they having trouble keeping him out of the paint and forcing midrange shots.

He's scored a lot of baskets in the paint. Almost half his shots are inside 3 ft.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#1887 » by MathiasPW » Wed Mar 4, 2020 10:00 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

He's scored a lot of baskets in the paint. Almost half his shots are inside 3 ft.
And 40% of these (100 out of 250 shots) were alley oops or tip ins, so not exactly shots he's creating.

The truth is probably somewhere in between.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1888 » by bwgood77 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 10:05 pm

MathiasPW wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:

And 40% of these (100 out of 250 shots) were alley oops or tip ins, so not exactly shots he's creating.

The truth is probably somewhere in between.

Although I think in the last few weeks he has taken it to the rim far more than he was prior to that. Near the beginning of his season he was taking far too many mid range shots. He was actually also much better from short-mid range and the rim last year too. Not sure if that was rust or just more defensive attention or what.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1889 » by Saberestar » Wed Mar 4, 2020 10:58 pm

Ayton underwent an MRI on Wednesday after suffering a left ankle injury.

I think that we are not gonna see him on the court for a couple of weeks, hopefully he can be back soon enough to close the season on high note.

I am happy with his production and the overall improvement that he has shown in his short second season, but in this last game against the Raptors he was overplayed by Siakam and Anunoby.

It's true that they are a really good players and the Raptors are well coached, but I have a bad taste in my mouth after watching Ayton struggling all game long against smaller defenders around him.

This summer he needs to focus his training on his ball handling and face up game. It's a much needed skill to take the next step in his career IMO.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,149

Post#1890 » by Slim Charless » Thu Mar 5, 2020 6:04 am

Saberestar wrote:Ayton underwent an MRI on Wednesday after suffering a left ankle injury.

I think that we are not gonna see him on the court for a couple of weeks, hopefully he can be back soon enough to close the season on high note.

I am happy with his production and the overall improvement that he has shown in his short second season, but in this last game against the Raptors he was overplayed by Siakam and Anunoby.

It's true that they are a really good players and the Raptors are well coached, but I have a bad taste in my mouth after watching Ayton struggling all game long against smaller defenders around him.

This summer he needs to focus his training on his ball handling and face up game. It's a much needed skill to take the next step in his career IMO.

He's had multiple ankle injures this season I'm starting to wonder if it's those Pumas that he wears. I know they're paying him but if those shotty shoes are messing with him they might need to do something.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#1891 » by Fo-Real » Thu Mar 5, 2020 8:02 am

Slim Charless wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Ayton underwent an MRI on Wednesday after suffering a left ankle injury.

He's had multiple ankle injures this season I'm starting to wonder if it's those Pumas that he wears. I know they're paying him but if those shotty shoes are messing with him they might need to do something.

Og Anunoby DOVE into his goddamn lower leg and ankle!!! I dont think a different pair of shoes helps that.
handsome salary
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,095

Post#1892 » by handsome salary » Thu Mar 5, 2020 2:57 pm

Year 1 overshadowed completely by Luka. Team has second worst season ever.
Year 2 suspended first 25 games, injured many more.

Can't wait to see Year 3.
LV-Suns
Analyst
And1: 1,902

Post#1893 » by LV-Suns » Thu Mar 5, 2020 6:52 pm

This is the 3rd or 4th time he has gotten injured since he came back from suspension, right? This is a serious concern.
I Dont wanna be here
Mjee
Starter
And1: 2,160

Post#1894 » by Mjee » Thu Mar 5, 2020 7:37 pm

LV-Suns wrote:This is the 3rd or 4th time he has gotten injured since he came back from suspension, right? This is a serious concern.

It is a HUGGEEEEEEE concern....

1. Those pumas he wears are complete trash.....
He will get hurt consistently keeps wearing those

It just a complete bummer that he can not stay healthy and the season he has had. Sure hes improved but he lacks that (dare I say) "IT" factor. I was totally on board with drafting him but I can't help but ponder what this franchise would look like with either Trae or Luka ....

Drafting Ayton at #1 has been a disappointment..... hopefully he comes back next year and kills it
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1895 » by Saberestar » Thu Mar 5, 2020 8:07 pm

Read on Twitter
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#1896 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Mar 6, 2020 12:52 am

LV-Suns wrote:This is the 3rd or 4th time he has gotten injured since he came back from suspension, right? This is a serious concern.

I'm not worried. Ankle injuries aren't that unusual for young bigs. It's not a broken foot, or even plantar. It's not knees. He doesn't seem frail to me. Just got bit a couple times this season.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#1897 » by ATTL » Sat Mar 7, 2020 3:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

He was listed as doubtful for the game while Cam was listed as out.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,392

Post#1898 » by SunsRback4Good » Sun Mar 8, 2020 11:21 am

I can see a long career and less injuries and missed games from Ayton..he's no Greg Oden but with all said and done I can see Embiid missing more games in his career than Ayton.
SuperSunsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,364

Post#1899 » by SuperSunsFan » Sun Mar 8, 2020 4:24 pm

he has to get rid of those puma shoes, they will shorten his career like Fila shortened Grant Hill's, Bagley is another endorsing Puma he also has trouble staying healthy
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,392

Post#1900 » by SunsRback4Good » Sun Mar 8, 2020 5:37 pm

SuperSunsFan wrote:he has to get rid of those puma shoes, they will shorten his career like Fila shortened Grant Hill's, Bagley is another endorsing Puma he also has trouble staying healthy

I wear nice fila shoes but if what you are saying is true about Grant Hill I will throw them in the garbage cause an injury will ruin my 2-3 times per week playing career..

Thanks for the info you stay safe.

Return to Phoenix Suns