Re: Who would you have as head coach? 

Post#21 » by Dnt hate » Thu Mar 5, 2020 7:36 am

Have to keep Brett till offseason depending on outcome, lock this thread please
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#22 » by the_process » Thu Mar 5, 2020 9:07 am

kio80 wrote:Honestly, I am not a pro Brett guy but I am against firing him and getting a new coach.
Why? Cause I do not trust Elton Brand, does anyone honestly trust that he will bring in someone competent to replace BB? After the mess he’s done with this franchise....
I can assure you that we are going to be much worse if we are to fire Brett. That’s why it astonishes me every time when idiots are screaming to fire Brett Brown, you gonna regret, Elton is gonna get someone much much worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brett has lost the locker room. And depending on how the playoffs go it may not be Brand making the call anyway. Have to get a new voice in here.
the_process
RealGM

Post#23 » by the_process » Thu Mar 5, 2020 9:07 am

Dnt hate wrote:Have to keep Brett till offseason depending on outcome, lock this thread please

We're talking about next season.
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#24 » by kio80 » Thu Mar 5, 2020 9:27 am

the_process wrote:
kio80 wrote:Honestly, I am not a pro Brett guy but I am against firing him and getting a new coach.
Why? Cause I do not trust Elton Brand, does anyone honestly trust that he will bring in someone competent to replace BB? After the mess he’s done with this franchise....
I can assure you that we are going to be much worse if we are to fire Brett. That’s why it astonishes me every time when idiots are screaming to fire Brett Brown, you gonna regret, Elton is gonna get someone much much worse.

Brett has lost the locker room. And depending on how the playoffs go it may not be Brand making the call anyway. Have to get a new voice in here.

Here’s the other thing, so many has been saying that Brett has lost the locker room, has anyone been in the locker room to witness Brett losing it? Where’s all these rumors coming from?
Stop making it sound like an episode of gossip girl

the_process
RealGM

Post#25 » by the_process » Thu Mar 5, 2020 10:03 am

kio80 wrote:
the_process wrote:

Here’s the other thing, so many has been saying that Brett has lost the locker room, has anyone been in the locker room to witness Brett losing it? Where’s all these rumors coming from?

Simmons not shooting after a public appeal.

GRob complaining he doesn't know his role.

Burke and KOQ both passive aggressively through family tweeting for more PT.

Horford complaining about his role, then publicly saying they had internal issues they were dealing with.

Doesn't seem like a guy who has the locker room under control, does it?
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#26 » by youngcrev » Thu Mar 5, 2020 12:38 pm

the_process wrote:
kio80 wrote:
the_process wrote:

Horford complaining about his role, then publicly saying they had internal issues they were dealing with.

Not good things, but I wouldn't really say he's lost the locker room based on that. Trey isn't even here anymore (and didn't get picked up by anyone... So I guess the entire NBA is full idiots according to some around here). GRIII's comments came like 2 days after he finally arrived from his cross country wagon trip.

I think guys are just frustrated because things aren't going as expected.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,898

Post#27 » by mjkvol » Thu Mar 5, 2020 1:34 pm

Dnt hate wrote:Have to keep Brett till offseason depending on outcome, lock this thread please

It's a thread in a forum designed for fans to exchange opinions. Relax.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by mjkvol » Thu Mar 5, 2020 1:38 pm

the_process wrote:
kio80 wrote:
the_process wrote:

I'll go with all of those except the first one, which was an asinine thing for Brown to say in one of his typical diarrhea of the mouth media sessions. If I'm Simmons, I'm going to Brown and saying "listen, if you want to talk to me about your expectations, then do it to me, not to the whole f***king world". Brown justifiably looked like a fool when Simmons didn't 'comply'.
the_process
RealGM

Post#29 » by the_process » Thu Mar 5, 2020 7:35 pm

mjkvol wrote:
the_process wrote:
kio80 wrote:

I'll go with all of those except the first one, which was an asinine thing for Brown to say in one of his typical diarrhea of the mouth media sessions. If I'm Simmons, I'm going to Brown and saying "listen, if you want to talk to me about your expectations, then do it to me, not to the whole f***king world". Brown justifiably looked like a fool when Simmons didn't 'comply'.

Except that there's no way that behind closed doors, Brown and Embiid and probably other guys too have told Ben he needs to shoot, and still he won't. So Brett went public out of desperation because dude isn't listening.

While I agree there's a lot of frustration that things are not going as well as expected, that's exactly the time when we see if the ship is really sturdy.

Also I left out the Embiid stuff because he feeds on emotion and likes to troll, and so his stuff can't be taken fully seriously.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by mjkvol » Thu Mar 5, 2020 9:29 pm

the_process wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
the_process wrote:

Except that there's no way that behind closed doors, Brown and Embiid and probably other guys too have told Ben he needs to shoot, and still he won't. So Brett went public out of desperation because dude isn't listening.

While I agree there's a lot of frustration that things are not going as well as expected, that's exactly the time when we see if the ship is really sturdy.

Also I left out the Embiid stuff because he feeds on emotion and likes to troll, and so his stuff can't be taken fully seriously.

We'll just have to disagree on that. Brown talks too damned much to the media about everything, and I'd rather him shut his pie hole every now and then and just get the lob done. I thought it was an ill advised showing up of a player he needs on his side if he plans to continue here beyond this year. If he can't get through to players without blabbing to the media, then he has no business coaching a team at this level.
the_process
RealGM

Post#31 » by the_process » Thu Mar 5, 2020 10:23 pm

mjkvol wrote:
the_process wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

We'll just have to disagree on that. Brown talks too damned much to the media about everything, and I'd rather him shut his pie hole every now and then and just get the job done. I thought it was an ill advised showing up of a player he needs on his side if he plans to continue here beyond this year. If he can't get through to players without blabbing to the media, then he has no business coaching a team at this level.

This was my point about Brett losing the room. The other players have seen that Ben isn't listening, so why should they?
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by mjkvol » Thu Mar 5, 2020 11:51 pm

the_process wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
the_process wrote:

We'll just have to disagree on that. Brown talks too damned much to the media about everything, and I'd rather him shut his pie hole every now and then and just get the job done. I thought it was an ill advised showing up of a player he needs on his side if he plans to continue here beyond this year. If he can't get through to players without blabbing to the media, then he has no business coaching a team at this level.

This was my point about Brett losing the room. The other players have seen that Ben isn't listening, so why should they?

Then schiitcan him and move on. Going through the media not only makes it clear in the locker room that Ben isn't listening, but advertises it to the world.
Stanners
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#33 » by Stanners » Fri Mar 6, 2020 11:37 am

sixers4real wrote:Bring back Sam and let him decide

I would be completely fine with this.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#34 » by GoSixersBro » Fri Mar 6, 2020 4:49 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:TY LUE...a young, CHAMPIONSHIP winning coach who knows the East inside out and has coached star players too. Oh, and right now he's learning even more knowledge alongside Doc at the Clippers...there's no better guy and If folks try to use Lebron as an excuse then Jackson, Ker, Riley etc are also trash going by that logic because they all won titles with world class players.

Come on man. Phil Jackson, Steve Kerr, and Pat Riley weren't excluded from timeout huddles in front of the world to see. LeBron was LeCoach for that 2016 title.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#35 » by TTP » Fri Mar 6, 2020 6:33 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:TY LUE...a young, CHAMPIONSHIP winning coach who knows the East inside out and has coached star players too. Oh, and right now he's learning even more knowledge alongside Doc at the Clippers...there's no better guy and If folks try to use Lebron as an excuse then Jackson, Ker, Riley etc are also trash going by that logic because they all won titles with world class players.

What specifically makes Ty Lue a good coach to you? Good coaches might win championships, but winning a championship is not sufficient to being a good coach.

Steve Kerr took over a team that won 51 games the year before and won 67 games by implementing a system that revolutionized the game on both ends for the rest of the NBA. He was smart enough to play one of his team's best players off the bench. He unlocked his players' talents with a heavy emphasis on pace and 3 point shooting to an extent that had never been seen before. On defense, he emphasized a heavy switching scheme and ran a lot of small ball lineups. The rest of the league took note and pretty much every team has copied that blueprint.

Steve Kerr is a great coach because he was adaptable and progressive - not simply because he won a championship.

As far as your argument for Lue, it seems to hinge a lot on the fact that he won a championship and that's not enough for me because it doesn't indicate his ability to succeed in a less fortunate situation. He wouldn't be coming into the same conditions here where he has one of the greatest players of all time and could let him do his thing. It's also just pretty damning that the Cavs got rid of Lue just six games after LeBron left.

I'm not sure what "knowing the East inside out" means when it's been like a year and a half since Lue has coached in the East and the league changes rapidly. The competitive landscape in the East is nothing like it was when Lue was coaching. Our team has gone through like 3 different iterations since then. The Raptors, Celtics, and Heat are completely different teams. Jason Kidd was coaching the Bucks during Lue's last full season in Cleveland, and the Bucks played completely differently then.

Point to me some specifics about what Ty Lue did well and how that could translate to success here. What does he do better than Brown and other coaches?
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
sixerguy
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#36 » by sixerguy » Fri Mar 6, 2020 7:38 pm

Brown would be hired almost immediately by another team if the Sixers were to let him go. He's a culture guy, a great interview, head is in the right place basketball wise. But he seems he's a longterm strategist (that's management material) rather than tactician, who is able to think and make quick game adjustments;

I'd prefer to keep him, rather promote him to GM and then fire Elton Brand who hasn't and doesn't display any management qualities besides being a yes man and able to spend money like Billy King. That's unless we can get Morey as GM.

For coach I don't have a clue.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#37 » by PhillyPhilly » Fri Mar 6, 2020 7:50 pm

TTP wrote:

What specifically makes Ty Lue a good coach to you? Good coaches might win championships, but winning a championship is not sufficient to being a good coach.

Steve Kerr took over a team that won 51 games the year before and won 67 games by implementing a system that revolutionized the game on both ends for the rest of the NBA. He was smart enough to play one of his team's best players off the bench. He unlocked his players' talents with a heavy emphasis on pace and 3 point shooting to an extent that had never been seen before. On defense, he emphasized a heavy switching scheme and ran a lot of small ball lineups. The rest of the league took note and pretty much every team has copied that blueprint.

Steve Kerr is a great coach because he was adaptable and progressive - not simply because he won a championship.

As far as your argument for Lue, it seems to hinge a lot on the fact that he won a championship and that's not enough for me because it doesn't indicate his ability to succeed in a less fortunate situation. He wouldn't be coming into the same conditions here where he has one of the greatest players of all time and could let him do his thing. It's also just pretty damning that the Cavs got rid of Lue just six games after LeBron left.

I'm not sure what "knowing the East inside out" means when it's been like a year and a half since Lue has coached in the East and the league changes rapidly. The competitive landscape in the East is nothing like it was when Lue was coaching. Our team has gone through like 3 different iterations since then. The Raptors, Celtics, and Heat are completely different teams. Jason Kidd was coaching the Bucks during Lue's last full season in Cleveland, and the Bucks played completely differently then.

Point to me some specifics about what Ty Lue did well and how that could translate to success here. What does he do better than Brown and other coaches?

All Kerr did was copy what he learned playing under Jackson and used it at Golden State. MARC JACKSON did all the hard work and he merely finished the job. Now all the stars have gone what has Kerr done? Same thing with Eric In Miami...he had stars and won championships but what has he done since then? Ty Lue went to three or four finals and had to deal with emotional guys like Lebron and Kyrie...had to deal with the roster changing every five minutes and an owner who sacked his gm etc. The team he last took to the finals were NOT as talented as our Sixers, Toronto or Boston and yet they still made it through.

Can you name a better candidate?
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#38 » by TTP » Fri Mar 6, 2020 8:03 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
TTP wrote:

All Kerr did was copy what he learned playing under Jackson and used it at Golden State. MARC JACKSON did all the hard work and he merely finished the job. Now all the stars have gone what has Kerr done? Same thing with Eric In Miami...he had stars and won championships but what has he done since then? Ty Lue went to three or four finals and had to deal with emotional guys like Lebron and Kyrie...had to deal with the roster changing every five minutes and an owner who sacked his gm etc. The team he last took to the finals were NOT as talented as our Sixers, Toronto or Boston and yet they still made it through.

Can you name a better candidate?

Yikes at the bolded. I don't think it's possible for us to have an intelligent debate if you believe that.

I asked if you could provide me with some specifics about what Ty Lue did well and how that could translate here, because that's literally the only question that matters when deciding on a new coach, but you don't seem to be able to do that. I mean, Brett Brown's arguably best trait is that he's great at managing player morale, so Ty Lue is just going to come in here and do it better?
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,801

Post#39 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 6, 2020 8:23 pm

It's kinda like you need to have stars to win championships. However, if you have stars and you don't win championships, then it's probably the coach's fault. Ergo there needs to be some serious consideration that Brett is the problem with this that currently has 2 stars just like Mark Jackson was with the GSW when he had multiple stars and couldn't get past the second round, much less winning a championship.
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 717

Post#40 » by AI_Efficiency » Fri Mar 6, 2020 8:37 pm

Negrodamus wrote:It's kinda like you need to have stars to win championships. However, if you have stars and you don't win championships, then it's probably the coach's fault. Ergo there needs to be some serious consideration that Brett is the problem with this that currently has 2 stars just like Mark Jackson was with the GSW when he had multiple stars and couldn't get past the second round, much less winning a championship.

I'm probably okay with moving on from Brown depending on who would replace him, but I also think it is unfortunate we have not got to see Embiid and Simmons start along side three shooters similar to when they played with JJ, Saric, and Roco. Brett was essentially forced to attempt a lineup with 3 below average three point shooters (Embiid, Horford, Josh Richardson (shooting a ghastly 32.5% from 3 btw)) a non-shooter in Simmons and Tobias who is finally up to around 37%. Its pretty wild. Just not really sure how someone can succeed with that type of terrible shooting in our modern game.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers