mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,847

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#121 » by mjkvol » Fri Mar 6, 2020 10:23 pm

TTP wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
TTP wrote:
That stretch sucked but we had to fill 3 rotation spots last night...who were you expecting Brett to play? My only quibble was playing Pelle over KOQ, but he was likely just trying to get the guy minutes since we were up a bunch and he's barely played the last month. He pulled Pelle after a disastrous 2.5 minutes and didn't play him the rest of the game.

Neto had a good game overall and it seems like Brett's decision to play him was justified. If you're complaining after we won by 17 in a game we were 5.5 point underdogs, you're just a hater.

First, please stop with the "hater" idiocy. Who's complaining? If we can't have discussions here other than waving pom-poms, then what the f***k is the point of a forum designed for fan interaction?

To address your point, I understand rotations, but I also understand that you don't slam on the brakes when you're about to run the other team out of the building with a TO and mass substitutions. That move essentially lengthened the game.

Neto was fine, but he doesn't belong on an NBA roster that isn't a lottery team.

You need help identifying complaining? I agree though that we should stop with the hater idiocy.

The forum is for discussion, but a lot of people use it to whine incessantly, and unfortunately, the latter is drowning out intelligent discourse.

Neto's fine as a third PG on a min-deal on a playoff team.

I agree about the incessant whiners, but that's likely what they're about in everyday life.

I'm just not a believer in Brown as a coach on a team at this level. He's perfect for the Process type teams he started with here, to get kids to buy in and overachieve. He'd be a perfect G-League coach. I believe he would be an asset in a front office. I just think he is in way over his head with a team looking to compete for an NBA championship.

And I'll agree that Neto is fine as a third PG as long as he never sees the floor other than garbage time. I get that the team is shorthanded, but it still irks me that he cut Burke, a kid who can actually play a little, to keep this guy.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#122 » by TTP » Fri Mar 6, 2020 10:57 pm

mjkvol wrote:
TTP wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
First, please stop with the "hater" idiocy. Who's complaining? If we can't have discussions here other than waving pom-poms, then what the f***k is the point of a forum designed for fan interaction?

To address your point, I understand rotations, but I also understand that you don't slam on the brakes when you're about to run the other team out of the building with a TO and mass substitutions. That move essentially lengthened the game.

Neto was fine, but he doesn't belong on an NBA roster that isn't a lottery team.

You need help identifying complaining? I agree though that we should stop with the hater idiocy.

The forum is for discussion, but a lot of people use it to whine incessantly, and unfortunately, the latter is drowning out intelligent discourse.

I agree about the incessant whiners, but that's likely what they're about in everyday life.

I'm just not a believer in Brown as a coach on a team at this level. He's perfect for the Process type teams he started with here, to get kids to buy in and overachieve. He'd be a perfect G-League coach. I believe he would be an asset in a front office. I just think he is in way over his head with a team looking to compete for an NBA championship.

And I'll agree that Neto is fine as a third PG as long as he never sees the floor other than garbage time. I get that the team is shorthanded, but it still irks me that he cut Burke, a kid who can actually play a little, to keep this guy.

I thought Trey Burke performed fine here, but it says something that not a single team in the NBA has picked him up in the month since he's been waived. He's also played for four teams in the last four years (all terrible teams other than us). Keep in mind that we signed him to a min-deal late in free agency as well, so he had no interest over the summer either. It's possible he's been deemed by the league to be more trouble than he's worth. Given that not a single playoff team is interested in him, I'm not going to hold it against Brett or our front office.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#123 » by mjkvol » Fri Mar 6, 2020 11:28 pm

TTP wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
TTP wrote:

I thought Trey Burke performed fine here, but it says something that not a single team in the NBA has picked him up in the month since he's been waived. He's also played for four teams in the last four years (all terrible teams other than us). Keep in mind that we signed him to a min-deal late in free agency as well, so he had no interest over the summer either. It's possible he's been deemed by the league to be more trouble than he's worth. Given that not a single playoff team is interested in him, I'm not going to hold it against Brett or our front office.

I'm not touting Burke in any way, just comparing him to a guy who is a borderline G-League player. I guess it speaks volumes about the relative disaster this season has become that we're even discussing which back of the bench players we prefer to be playing meaningful minutes.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#124 » by rzzzzz » Sun Mar 8, 2020 12:00 am

TTP wrote: If you're complaining after we won by 17 in a game we were 5.5 point underdogs, you're just a hater.

so you don't agree the better move is to continue to roll and try and put the game away right then and there, rather then give them back the lead in an eyeblink coming out of that ill timed time out? i mean it's great we could win the game all over again, but i'd rather not give them another chance. lowers the odds, don't you think?
TTP
Head Coach

Post#125 » by TTP » Sun Mar 8, 2020 12:45 am

rzzzzz wrote:
TTP wrote: If you're complaining after we won by 17 in a game we were 5.5 point underdogs, you're just a hater.

so you don't agree the better move is to continue to roll and try and put the game away right then and there, rather then give them back the lead in an eyeblink coming out of that ill timed time out? i mean it's great we could win the game all over again, but i'd rather not give them another chance. lowers the odds, don't you think?

I'm not sure what exact decision you're criticizing so you're going to have to clarify. The decision to bring in Pelle? I already said I would have played KOQ over Pelle, but I understand the justification for trying to get Pelle minutes in a game we're leading by a lot when he'd played only 20 total minutes over the past 40 or so days and KOQ had played a bit recently. After 2.5 minutes where the Kings went on a 12-0 run, he saw enough and pulled him and played Scott at the 5 the rest of the game when Horford was out.

He was going to have to make substitutions regardless - players need rest and with all of the injuries, he was going to have to play his deep reserves no matter what.

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#126 » by rzzzzz » Sun Mar 8, 2020 4:22 am

TTP wrote:
I'm not sure what exact decision you're criticizing so you're going to have to clarify.

fair enough. here's how Kyle (another hater) put it that night.

"Being shorthanded forces coaches into lots of lineup combinations they don't necessarily want to run out there. It shouldn't make you abandon a very basic basketball principle of having at least one of your best available players on the floor at all times.

Someone forgot to tell Brett Brown that on Thursday night. The Sixers surged to a 30-18 lead in the first quarter, and out of a timeout Brown called himself, they rolled out a lineup of Raul Neto, Alec Burks, Furkan Korkmaz, Glenn Robinson III, and Norvel Pelle. That is not a group that should be out there fending for themselves at absolutely any time. Two of those guys shouldn't really be seeing the floor at all, particularly as they gear up for the playoffs.

It should surprise no one that the Kings went on a 12-0 run and tied the game, bringing the game back into contested territory. These are the sort of coaching errors there are just no excuses for — it was doomed to fail from the start and produced the results every sensible person expected."
TTP
Head Coach

Post#127 » by TTP » Sun Mar 8, 2020 4:42 am

rzzzzz wrote:
TTP wrote:
I'm not sure what exact decision you're criticizing so you're going to have to clarify.

fair enough. here's how Kyle (another hater) put it that night.

"Being shorthanded forces coaches into lots of lineup combinations they don't necessarily want to run out there. It shouldn't make you abandon a very basic basketball principle of having at least one of your best available players on the floor at all times.

Someone forgot to tell Brett Brown that on Thursday night. The Sixers surged to a 30-18 lead in the first quarter, and out of a timeout Brown called himself, they rolled out a lineup of Raul Neto, Alec Burks, Furkan Korkmaz, Glenn Robinson III, and Norvel Pelle. That is not a group that should be out there fending for themselves at absolutely any time. Two of those guys shouldn't really be seeing the floor at all, particularly as they gear up for the playoffs.

It should surprise no one that the Kings went on a 12-0 run and tied the game, bringing the game back into contested territory. These are the sort of coaching errors there are just no excuses for — it was doomed to fail from the start and produced the results every sensible person expected."

Looks like criticism, not hating.

Regardless, I don't agree with his comment that two of them shouldn't be seeing the floor. We had 11 players active. It seems reasonable to want to run a 10 man rotation.

mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#128 » by mjkvol » Sun Mar 8, 2020 4:59 am

TTP wrote:Looks like criticism, not hating.

Regardless, I don't agree with his comment that two of them shouldn't be seeing the floor. We had 11 players active. It seems reasonable to want to run a 10 man rotation.

Tell me, are you fine with Brown moving forward beyond this season? Do you honestly believe there isn't a coach who could better utilize this talent and get more out of it, maybe a little consistency and figuring out what it might take to play better on the road? You think this guy should be brought back assuming a first or second round exit, or even an ECF loss?
Last pick
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#129 » by Last pick » Sun Mar 8, 2020 10:47 am

Embarassing.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#130 » by youngcrev » Sun Mar 8, 2020 3:37 pm

mjkvol wrote:

Tell me, are you fine with Brown moving forward beyond this season? Do you honestly believe there isn't a coach who could better utilize this talent and get more out of it, maybe a little consistency and figuring out what it might take to play better on the road? You think this guy should be brought back assuming a first or second round exit, or even an ECF loss?

Do you honestly believe there's a coach out there that could get this team, as currently constructed, to the finals?

Brett deserves to be criticized. I definitely think there are coaches that could get more out of this roster. I just think the roster construction is a far bigger issue than the coaching.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#131 » by mjkvol » Sun Mar 8, 2020 3:55 pm

youngcrev wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

Do you honestly believe there's a coach out there that could get this team, as currently constructed, to the finals?

Brett deserves to be criticized. I definitely think there are coaches that could get more out of this roster. I just think the roster construction is a far bigger issue than the coaching.

I wouldn't argue with that, but I don't think the issues are that far apart in importance. I'm not saying definitively that another coach could get this roster to the finals, but I find it impossible to believe that there aren't multiple coaches who couldn't get more out of this roster, who would be proactive in making adjustments and finding rotations that work as opposed to Brown's tendency to react well after the fact. And I have zero doubt that there are many that would be drastically better in-game coaches.

The roster is a huge problem, one that needs to be addressed in the off season for this whole thing not to implode, but it is equally important to bring in a coach who is up to the task of running a championship contender. Brett Brown is clearly not that guy.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#132 » by rzzzzz » Sun Mar 8, 2020 4:56 pm

youngcrev wrote:Do you honestly believe there's a coach out there that could get this team, as currently constructed, to the finals?

if Embiid and Ben are healthy? yes. they are amazingly talented. if we get both of them back, and if the current roster was deployed by someone who schemed with more inside out/pick and roll tendencies, and was more flexible during the game and cagier about adjustments, we could win it all.

admittedly, i'm a little biased after watching the Washington Nationals almost waste two full seasons with a popular, but struggling manager, suddenly flip a switch when that manager returned from the ER after a coronary scare, suddenly making bold and savvy decisions (like using his starters in key relief situations) to outright steal the World Series against a powerhouse team who was taking liberties outside the rule book in a big way. it's one of the greatest things about sports, the under dog playing over it's head in the big game, the Hail Mary. but you gotta try something different, instead of taking a pass until next year when things aren't working.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#133 » by Foshan » Mon Mar 9, 2020 1:46 am

I think there is lots of room for criticism. I can't imagine coaching this team and not having Harris or Horford on the floor at all times. It just wouldn't make sense to me until the last blow out minutes of a 4th if such minutes existed.

Does brett not listen to his assistant coaches? Aren't there other people who are supposed to be there to help see problems specifically on defense (or offense) and help make adjustments?

I'm not tied to Brett going forward, but I don't fire him just to fire him either. Maybe Kenny Atkinson... maybe SVG... but I would be VERY hesitant to just bring in an eddie Jordan type retread which is who I'm afraid we'd end up with.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#134 » by Kobblehead » Mon Mar 9, 2020 3:17 pm

Nice guy, bad-to-mediocre coach.

We absolutely have to move off him. He's not the answer to coaching a contending team.
Kova
Veteran
And1: 710

Post#135 » by Kova » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:20 pm

Wow, this is something.. Really shows the incompetence on a leadership aspect from Brett and the coaching staff.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#136 » by Kobblehead » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:45 pm

Well, a few reputable reporters have already said that it's ECF or fired for Brett so he's most definitely gone.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#137 » by Negrodamus » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:09 pm

Kova wrote:

Wow, this is something.. Really shows the incompetence on a leadership aspect from Brett and the coaching staff.

Yeah, I mean, this being out in public is pretty disqualifying for Brett and Elton. Unless they win the whole thing, I just don't see any reason to bring them back. Even an ECF wouldn't make sense.

They lost Butler, a player we spent assets to acquire in the beginning of the season and was possibly a move made by ownership rather than the GM, due to incompetence and chaos by management and the coach. It's time to consolidate power and move on from the Colangelo/Collaboration regime.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#138 » by Negrodamus » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:39 pm

Read on Twitter

Almost as if on cue, the Sixers release another vague update on Ben Simmons. Not pinning part of the disarray on Brett, but how many times are we getting the "re-evaluated in 3 weeks" diagnosis of our star players before it ends up being a long term injury.

This after he had back tightness and missed the Nets game leading up to a return against the Bucks where he completely messed it up. Might be blowing this out of proportion, but there's precedent in regards our incompetence.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#139 » by mjkvol » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:14 pm

Kova wrote:

All I can say is wow. This is about as harsh an indictment on Brown and Brand as you will ever hear. Just shows me that both of them are in way over their heads trying to run a contending organization. If they don't move on from these guys in the off season you can kiss goodbye any shot that this mess might have a chance to be rectified. I'm not holding my breath.
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#140 » by PhillyFan11 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:10 pm

While I’m not a fan of Brown and want him gone....is Jimmy Butler really the best source? He’s pretty close to the TO of the NBA, he has a history of undermining coaches. We’ll see how long it lasts in Miami, if he ends up turning on Spoelstra we’ll know Jimmy is a true crazy person.

But with that said, Brett has for sure done enough on his own to warrant not returning next year barring a miracle playoff run.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers