ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Re: UCF Football 

Post#1081 » by nymets1 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:52 pm

Avery Diggs at the end of the game when he was at the free throw line, What a dummy to make that last free throw. We got very very lucky Jarron Cumberland's half court shot at the end of the game didn't count. It never would have happened if Avery Diggs missed the free throw on purpose. Our players should pick up score and time remaining and their IQ should tell them to realize the score and time left in the game to miss the 2nd free throw on purpose. You shouldn't have to have a coach tell you to miss the free throw on purpose. Your IQ as a basketball player should pick that up on your own. I hate when Diggs is on the court, He brings nothing when he's on the court and last night at the end of the game shows that Diggs has 0 basketball IQ.

If you miss a free throw on purpose, You should be missing to the left or the right of the rim. What happens if you shoot the ball above the rim? It can bounce off the rim probably the front of the rim and it could bounce in. So if you miss to the left or the right of the rim it shouldn't go in. That's part of IQ.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,411

Post#1082 » by UCFJayBird » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:52 pm

nymets1 wrote:Avery Diggs at the end of the game when he was at the free throw line, What a dummy to make that last free throw. We got very very lucky Jarron Cumberland's half court shot at the end of the game didn't count. It never would have happened if Avery Diggs missed the free throw on purpose. Our players should pick up score and time remaining and their IQ should tell them to realize the score and time left in the game to miss the 2nd free throw on purpose. You shouldn't have to have a coach tell you to miss the free throw on purpose. Your IQ as a basketball player should pick that up on your own. I hate when Diggs is on the court, He brings nothing when he's on the court and last night at the end of the game shows that Diggs has 0 basketball IQ.

If you miss a free throw on purpose, You should be missing to the left or the right of the rim. What happens if you shoot the ball above the rim? It can bounce off the rim probably the front of the rim and it could bounce in. So if you miss to the left or the right of the rim it shouldn't go in. That's part of IQ.

I think he intended to miss but accidentally made it. Missing on purpose is harder than people think, because you HAVE to hit the rim. If you airball or just hit the backboard, it's a violation and the other team gets to inbound the ball. So you can't just chuck the ball anywhere. I'd say a good 50% of intentional misses go in, lol.
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#1083 » by nymets1 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:21 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
nymets1 wrote:Avery Diggs at the end of the game when he was at the free throw line, What a dummy to make that last free throw. We got very very lucky Jarron Cumberland's half court shot at the end of the game didn't count. It never would have happened if Avery Diggs missed the free throw on purpose. Our players should pick up score and time remaining and their IQ should tell them to realize the score and time left in the game to miss the 2nd free throw on purpose. You shouldn't have to have a coach tell you to miss the free throw on purpose. Your IQ as a basketball player should pick that up on your own. I hate when Diggs is on the court, He brings nothing when he's on the court and last night at the end of the game shows that Diggs has 0 basketball IQ.

I think he intended to miss but accidentally made it. Missing on purpose is harder than people think, because you HAVE to hit the rim. If you airball or just hit the backboard, it's a violation and the other team gets to inbound the ball. So you can't just chuck the ball anywhere. I'd say a good 50% of intentional misses go in, lol.

I've watched NBA and College Basketball games, I can't recall a player missing a 2nd free throw that didn't hit the rim that resulted in a violation. I was at LA fitness yesterday and Clay told me that if a player is trying to miss the 2nd free throw that it has the hit the rim. So I shoot some free throws to miss the free throw but to hit the rim and it worked every time for me 100% success so I found it easy to miss on purpose. I had a good idea before I shoot a free throw, how I miss it but hit the rim.

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1084 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:27 pm

nymets1 wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:

I've watched NBA and College Basketball games, I can't recall a player missing a 2nd free throw that didn't hit the rim that resulted in a violation. I was at LA fitness yesterday and Clay told me that if a player is trying to miss the 2nd free throw that it has the hit the rim. So I shoot some free throws to miss the free throw but to hit the rim and it worked every time for me 100% success so I found it easy to miss on purpose. I had a good idea before I shoot a free throw, how I miss it but hit the rim.

In real time watching the game I thought he missed on purpose (I saw him talk to the bench and then shoot it rather quickly), but just watched it again and while he did chat with the bench (no clue if he said to miss) and he did shoot quickly, his shot was pretty normal. Maybe he didn't intend to miss (i'm 50/50 on whether he did).

Regarding the rule, I'm pretty sure it has to hit rim. If you just had to hit the backboard, players would just beam the ball as hard as they could off the backboard to bounce way back on intentional misses. However, finding the actual rule and discussion of this part of it is like a needle in a haystack, lol. Closest I could find is below about them talking about it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769097-for-nbas-best-shooters-missing-free-throws-is-tougher-than-it-looks
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#1085 » by nymets1 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:15 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:

I shot at least 10 free throws where the free throws were intended to hit the rim but miss on purpose and I had 100% success rate. I was playing PIG with players the game where you take a shot and if you make it, than the other players have to make that shot to avoid getting the letters to spell PIG and they lose. So some of my shots I did in the game of PIG, I called it out to the other players that the 1st free throw has to be a make and the 2nd free throw has to hit the rim but miss it. So everytime I did that as my shot, None of the players made the 1st free throw and missed the 2nd free throw while hitting the rim.

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1086 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:56 pm

nymets1 wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:

I shot at least 10 free throws where the free throws were intended to hit the rim but miss on purpose and I had 100% success rate. I was playing PIG with players the game where you take a shot and if you make it, than the other players have to make that shot to avoid getting the letters to spell PIG and they lose. So some of my shots I did in the game of PIG, I called it out to the other players that the 1st free throw has to be a make and the 2nd free throw has to hit the rim but miss it. So everytime I did that as my shot, None of the players made the 1st free throw and missed the 2nd free throw while hitting the rim.

So you're good at it, lol. I mean maybe you wouldn't be in a real game with all the factors at play. Maybe Avery Diggs is successful with his intentional miss 9/10 times (if he was intending to miss, which i've conceded he may not have been).

All i'm saying is that i've seen A LOT of players make the FT when they intend to miss, so it wouldn't surprise me if Diggs was trying to miss and still made it, though I concede Dawkins may have told him to make it, which we both agree is not the smart play.
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#1087 » by nymets1 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:09 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
nymets1 wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:

So you're good at it, lol. I mean maybe you wouldn't be in a real game with all the factors at play. Maybe Avery Diggs is successful with his intentional miss 9/10 times (if he was intending to miss, which i've conceded he may not have been).

All i'm saying is that i've seen A LOT of players make the FT when they intend to miss, so it wouldn't surprise me if Diggs was trying to miss and still made it, though I concede Dawkins may have told him to make it, which we both agree is not the smart play.

I believe watching Diggs last free throw, The ball rolled on the rim (softly) and than went in. That told me he was trying to make the free throw and not purposely try to miss while hitting the rim. If your trying to miss a free throw on purpose while hitting the rim, You need to take some time before you shoot the free throw and think how you want to miss the free throw but hit the rim. You want to shoot more of a line drive shot as opposed to an arch free throw. If you shoot a free throw with a good arch and get it on the rim, your highly to make the free throw as opposed to more of a line drive free throw which is likely to bounce off when it hits the rim.

I hate when Diggs is on the court. He's clearly my least favorite player on the team, the least talented and I don't think he brings anything when he's on the court. I think Doumbia is the best big man we have.

nymets1
Head Coach

Post#1088 » by nymets1 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:52 am

Knightro wrote:The game of Tony Johnson's life.

He was averaging 10 minutes a game coming into the game and wasn't even going to play much last night either, but then Dawkins straight up benched Ceasar DeJesus after a disaster opening few minutes.

Next man up mentality. Johnson absolutely answered the bell in a big way.

I was at the UCF vs Tulane game today and OMG we really blew that game. Once again issues with inbounding which is our biggest weakness. If we don't fix this, We have more losses coming in the regular season and we'll be knocked out in 1st game of the conference tournament and there goes any hope to getting the ticket into the NCAA tournament. They should practice inbounding the ball with 5 offensive players and 6 defensive players. If you can inbound the ball vs 6 defenders, You can inbound the ball vs 5 defenders.

I didn't know Dazon was going to be out again and I didn't know Tony was going to start. I cheered for Tony the whole game my favorite player on the team. I yelled "Superstar", "MVP" and other things during the game when he was on the court. Last year's team my favorite players were BJ Taylor, Aubrey Dawkins, Tacko and Chad Brown but I didn't have 1 favorite player in particular. I was dissapointed with the UCF fans that nobody joined me with cheering on Tony until there was less than 2 minutes left in the game.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#1089 » by craig01 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:35 am

Ucf baseball swept #8 auburn last weekend and are now ranked #19.

It was Auburn’s first-ever non-conference sweep at home in their 125-year history.

Women’s Softball also swept #12 Tennessee.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1090 » by UCFJayBird » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:12 pm

craig01 wrote:Ucf baseball swept #8 auburn last weekend and are now ranked #19.

It was Auburn’s first-ever non-conference sweep at home in their 125-year history.

Women’s Softball also swept #12 Tennessee.

They didn't just beat Auburn, they crushed them. I think the total score for the 3 games was 22-6 (if memory serves correctly).

I was excited coming into the season based on comments from the coaches (specifically that pitching was deep and was our strength), but the hitting in the Auburn series surprised me and if the bats are there this team is going to have a REALLY good season.

Might be the breakthrough season we've been waiting on. Having said that, it was one series early in the season. Auburn could just not be as good as people expected, lol. college baseball is so tough to gauge early on.
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#1091 » by nymets1 » Thu Mar 5, 2020 6:43 pm

I was at the UCF basketball game last night vs SMU. I'm unhappy my favorite player only played 8 minutes. I saw him come out of the game in the 2nd half and I got the feeling he wasn't going to come back in. The game came down to the end but I didn't care because my favorite player was on the bench. Our basketball season is about over, What do we have to lose by playing our 2 freshman 20+ minutes in the remaining games?

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1092 » by craig01 » Thu Mar 5, 2020 11:12 pm

Coach JD must play the players he feels gave him the best chance of winning last night.

It worked.

There is still the conference tournament ahead.

I don’t care who plays, just win.

nymets1
Head Coach

Post#1093 » by nymets1 » Fri Mar 6, 2020 2:11 am

craig01 wrote:Coach JD must play the players he feels gave him the best chance of winning last night.

It worked.

There is still the conference tournament ahead.

I don’t care who plays, just win.

I do care, We not playing for anything in the regular season. The conference tournament is the only thing left to play for if we can still alive. The win last night vs SMU does nothing, When SMU trailed so bad in the 1st half and than they catch up from down 20 points in the 2nd half to take the lead, There was nothing good about that win. Tony and Darin the 2 freshman are the future, They should be playing 20+ minutes every game.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1094 » by craig01 » Fri Mar 6, 2020 11:44 am

Disagree on the philosophy difference.

The win is important. It was against a quality team.

Johnson has not played well in games even when getting minutes of late. He had a nice stretch and looks to be a good player in the future. What we don’t know is how well Johnson is doing behind the scenes (practices, classes, relationships, etc).

Green did play about his normal minutes.

Smu was a strong team, and for Coach JD to use older and more experienced players was logical.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1095 » by craig01 » Fri Mar 6, 2020 11:44 am

Disagree on the philosophy difference.

The win is important. It was against a quality team.

Johnson has not played well in games even when getting minutes of late. He had a nice stretch and looks to be a good player in the future. What we don’t know is how well Johnson is doing behind the scenes (practices, classes, relationships, etc).

Green did play about his normal minutes.

Smu was a strong team, and for Coach JD to use older and more experienced players was logical.

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1096 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Mar 6, 2020 3:29 pm

You don't bench better players to develop young players in college. It sends a terrible message to your guys and the recruits. It would be incredibly unfair to the players who have worked really hard all season and who transferred or came here to play. Imagine being a senior and you're playing your last college games and the coach comes up and goes, "You're a better player. But i'm going to play the freshman instead so he can get some development time in. I have to think about future years instead."

If i'm a junior and I see that? i'm gone.

In the pros you can tank and the players have to take it because there are contracts and they get paid a lot of money, and if they're really upset they can ask to be traded and be playing a few days later if it works out.

To be clear, you can spread the minutes around a little more. And if you want Tony to get more minutes I get that. But not putting your best team forward and saying "winning doesn't matter right now" will kill your program.
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#1097 » by nymets1 » Sat Mar 7, 2020 12:44 am

I think its because we are basically a 500 team and when I see Tony emerge at Wichita State, That's been my favorite player in what appears to be a lost season unless we somehow win this conference tournament. I thought Frank Bertz was a junior. I appreciate that Frank Bertz has played his whole career here even though he only played 2 years. Bertz is a solid 3 point shooter, can hustle and play good defense and not everyone on this current team does those 3 things. I don't like that Milon came here in his final year but I kinda give him a pass because he's from Oviedo. Now Dazon Ingram is a different story when he played there 4 years and comes here. Dazon's head and heart is from Alabama and not Florida.

nymets1
Head Coach

Post#1098 » by nymets1 » Mon Mar 9, 2020 12:59 am

Thursday March 12th we are the 8th seed in the conference tournament playing the #9 seed USF. We are the 1st game on Thursday at 12 pm on ESPNU. The winner gets to play Cincinnati in the quarterfinals.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1099 » by craig01 » Mon Mar 9, 2020 10:43 am

Baseball team moves to 15-2 after sweeping Butler.

RPI is around 8th.

UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#1100 » by UCF » Mon Mar 9, 2020 11:26 pm

Baseball team is playing really good!

Return to Orlando Magic