ImageImageImage

Welcome Tobias Harris

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Re: Welcome Tobias Harris 

Post#541 » by SparksFly87 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:28 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I'd be perfectly satisfied at 4 years, $100m.
Kobblehead wrote:I'd be perfectly satisfied at 4 years, $100m.

Bro this is not 10 years ago . The salaries are higher now. I think Tobias is slightly over paid but compared to resigning Butler and what CJ McCollum got I can live with it.

Tobias ideally is a highly efficient scorer / shooter who doesn’t need the ball to be effective with great size and durability. Also isn’t a hothead and is younger than both. He will give you prime production throughout his whole contract ending at 32 years old. I personally am cool with his deal .
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#542 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:47 pm

$25m per year is my modern times valuation of Tobias Harris. I think what he got is a really really really bad contract.

Tobias is a really good player playing at peak form right now so I'm not bent out of shape or nothing. Just stating my thoughts.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,509

Post#543 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:47 am

Read on Twitter

Exactly what ive been saying about Tobias and the nature of him being a closer for the team
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kova
Veteran
And1: 710

Post#544 » by Kova » Tue Feb 4, 2020 11:34 am

Nobody calling out this guy. And he's been the biggest disappointment and underachiever. Got his max, was supposed to be unleashed with departure of Butler and turn into our 2nd option.

In reality if you look at the numbers - he is exact player that Harrison Barnes is.

https://www.nba.com/players/harrison/barnes/203084
https://www.nba.com/players/tobias/harris/202699

Don't let the ppg average full you. Harris is taking 16 shots per game, and Barnes 11.

Harris contract - 180m/5
Barnes contract - 85m/4

What a mistake.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#545 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Feb 4, 2020 1:10 pm

I was saying this last year after we acquired him. He gets you a few buckets, but hardly ever truly impacts the outcome of games.

But hey.... he's a super nice guy.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#546 » by VDT » Tue Feb 4, 2020 1:14 pm

It's not his fault he is overpaid. If he was getting 20 mil per year no one would be calling him out.
Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,385

Post#547 » by Hussien Fatal » Tue Feb 4, 2020 2:09 pm

VDT wrote:It's not his fault he is overpaid. If he was getting 20 mil per year no one would be calling him out.

I disagree we would be calling him out just like we call out mike Scott and the other players that play like garbage every night.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#548 » by Kobblehead » Tue Feb 4, 2020 2:16 pm

Yeah, why call out Tobias? Call out Elton.

Tobias is a career 15+ ppg player sustaining his peak form over an extended period. He's doing his job excellently. It's not his fault we overpaid him.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#549 » by 76ciology » Fri Mar 6, 2020 6:29 pm

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixerguy
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#550 » by sixerguy » Fri Mar 6, 2020 7:53 pm

it's more a matter of fit. Kris Middleton signed the same deal yet non one would deny Kris would of been a better fit on the Sixers than Tobias.

What should have happened was the Tobias money (or Horford's) should have been used to sign (besides signing Middleton) Brogdon (4 at $85 mil), B Bogdanovic (4 at $73 mil) JJ Redick (2 at 26 mil), P Beverly (3 at $41 mil), G Hill (3 at $29 mil).

Tobias is still pretty good, not sure which team he'd be the perfect fit though.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#551 » by mithrandir17 » Sat Mar 7, 2020 1:08 am

sixerguy wrote:it's more a matter of fit. Kris Middleton signed the same deal yet non one would deny Kris would of been a better fit on the Sixers than Tobias.

What should have happened was the Tobias money (or Horford's) should have been used to sign (besides signing Middleton) Brogdon (4 at $85 mil), B Bogdanovic (4 at $73 mil) JJ Redick (2 at 26 mil), P Beverly (3 at $41 mil), G Hill (3 at $29 mil).

Tobias is still pretty good, not sure which team he'd be the perfect fit though.

That's not how our capspace was used. Sure we could have went over the cap with JJ with his Bird rights but every other player you mentioned can't be signed using Harris' money because we signed him using his Bird rights. We could have signed Brogdon to the deal you mentioned and kept JJ but after that we only have 7M left in capspace. So no, you can't just add Tobias and Horford's contracts and substitute players around it.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#552 » by Foshan » Sat Mar 7, 2020 2:56 am

Hopefully this gets Tobi rolling and he's able to carry over this mentality into the playoffs with Ben and Embiid back in the line up.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#553 » by 76ciology » Sat Mar 7, 2020 3:58 am

Tobias and Shake’s game will be easier when Ben and Biid return. Hopefully. Haha
76ciology
RealGM

Post#554 » by 76ciology » Sat Mar 7, 2020 4:02 am

sixerguy wrote:it's more a matter of fit. Kris Middleton signed the same deal yet non one would deny Kris would of been a better fit on the Sixers than Tobias.

It doesnt work that way.

Knicks have a bazillion amount of money and they ended up with Gibson and Portis.

If you can just get FAs by having the most money then everyone will just be freeing up their cap.

Regarding Brogdon, nobody saw this coming from him. And if you watch him play, he needs to have the ball in his hands at all time which makes him not a good fit with Biid and Ben and will just revert him back to the way he was with the Bucks.

Bogdanovic is average

JJ, GHill and Pbev are old or yuck.
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 410

Post#555 » by Zumramania » Sat Mar 7, 2020 12:36 pm

Bogdanovic is probably only a bit above average, but next to Simmons and Embiid he would have been a great fit IMO due to all the shots that he would get and his clutchness. At least in the regular season I think we would have won many more road games with him.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,193

Post#556 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Mar 7, 2020 2:02 pm

I don’t think the problem with Tobias is talent or skill, etc. It’s that he needs the ball in his hands to play at his best, which is difficult on a team with Embiid and Simmons. I’m surprised that, for whatever reason, he’s not great at catch-and-shoot 3’s.

He’s been playing awesome lately, but I won’t be shocked if his play *apparently* regresses when Embiid and Simmons return.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#557 » by LloydFree » Sat Mar 7, 2020 2:21 pm

Zumramania wrote:Bogdanovic is probably only a bit above average, but next to Simmons and Embiid he would have been a great fit IMO due to all the shots that he would get and his clutchness. At least in the regular season I think we would have won many more road games with him.

Somebody is going to pay Bogdonovic 15-20m per year to do the same things Korkmaz and Shake Milton will do. Bogdonovic is supremely over-rated.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,870

Post#558 » by mjkvol » Sat Mar 7, 2020 5:15 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:I don’t think the problem with Tobias is talent or skill, etc. It’s that he needs the ball in his hands to play at his best, which is difficult on a team with Embiid and Simmons. I’m surprised that, for whatever reason, he’s not great at catch-and-shoot 3’s.

He’s been playing awesome lately, but I won’t be shocked if his play *apparently* regresses when Embiid and Simmons return.

Bingo. People are taking comments here as a knock on Harris as a player, and that's not it. He's an excellent player, a borderline all-star caliber player, who just doesn't fit this group when it is at full strength.

If, when Jo and Ben return, he starts hitting catch and shoot 3's with some regularity, then it's a different story. That's just never been his game, and trying to reinvent a player you just gave a max contact to doesn't seem like such a great idea.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 609

Post#559 » by brannigan73 » Sun Mar 8, 2020 4:57 am

This guy is a loser (I dont mean as a person as a basketball player) I cant take it anymore. There were rumors that Butler said he didnt want to be on the Sixers if Harris was. And he hasnt been playing that great lately. He had one great game versus the Kings Go take a look at his advanced plus minus type stats for the season. He is barely in the positive with RPM. His PIPM is comparable to a guy like Bojan Bogdanovich and worse then Gallinari. Those guys make roughly half of what Tobi does. He isnt worth anywhere near 35 million its a giant problem. You cant kluge around paying a guy almost 2x what he is worth. It takes funds away from other areas on the roster that need to be shored up. He is not close to good enough to be the third best player on a championship team. I dont understand how some people still dont get it. That contract is a huge problem. HUGE. If he was as good as some of you are still claiming we wouldnt lose to G league Warriors. He would be enough to win the game for us. There is a reason why a 27 year old guy has been on four teams already in his career. His contract is one of the worst philly sports contracts handed out in the last 20 years.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,870

Post#560 » by mjkvol » Sun Mar 8, 2020 5:05 am

brannigan73 wrote:This guy is a loser (I dont mean as a person as a basketball player) I cant take it anymore. There were rumors that Butler said he didnt want to be on the Sixers if Harris was. And he hasnt been playing that great lately. He had one great game versus the Kings Go take a look at his advanced plus minus type stats for the season. He is barely in the positive with RPM. His PIPM is comparable to a guy like Bojan Bogdanovich and worse then Gallinari. Those guys make roughly half of what Tobi does. He isnt worth anywhere near 35 million its a giant problem. You cant kluge around paying a guy almost 2x what he is worth. It takes funds away from other areas on the roster that need to be shored up. He is not close to good enough to be the third best player on a championship team. I dont understand how people still dont get it. That contract is a huge problem. HUGE. If he was as good as some of you are still claiming we wouldnt lose to G league Warriors. He would be enough to win the game for us.

He's not a loser, but he's nothing close to a max player and he doesn't fit with our two best players. The contract is an abomination, but I'm afraid that he's here to stay. He's a good guy, great in the community, and he was Brand's big fish. I think they will try to move Horford, but for some reason I think Harris is here to stay.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin

Return to Philadelphia 76ers