Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Brogdon  

Post#1 » by Wizop » Sat Mar 7, 2020 11:11 pm

Torn quad muscle. Week to week.

Sumner time.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Re: Brogdon 

Post#2 » by SmashMouthRod » Sun Mar 8, 2020 1:16 am

I think the team should bring back Lance Stephenson. Lamb and Brogdon is a lot of talent to lose. It will be good for Holidays development but the backcourt depth is not looking so good going into the playoffs.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Mar 8, 2020 1:53 am

SmashMouthRod wrote:I think the team should bring back Lance Stephenson. Lamb and Brogdon is a lot of talent to lose. It will be good for Holidays development but the backcourt depth is not looking so good going into the playoffs.

A Lance signing is sentimental, not productive.

Also, he would have to fully negotiate a new buyout if his contract in China. The Chinese league isn’t releasing anyone from their contract, and due to the delays based on Covid 19, they still have season to play, so the players aren’t being released on usual time like in years past.

Ultimately, on nights that Oladipo is out, we will likely have to shift Sampson down to the 3, with Justin at the 2. Looks like Goga and Leaf will have some chances for minutes. Either way, it sounds like Brogdon is listed as week to week. We also still have service days for NML to bring up, and the GLeague season will be over sooner rather than later so Bowen will be back up too.

Otherwise, we’d have to waive someone to clear the roster spot and I’d really rather try and dump Leafs salary in the offseason with 2nds than be stuck with it and a little limited in trying to keep Justin Holiday, all because we were a little sentimental.
Lazlo4D
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#4 » by Lazlo4D » Sun Mar 8, 2020 6:43 am

Pacers need to see if Edmund Sumner can be the answer to the this problem.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Mar 8, 2020 6:07 pm

Welp...

Read on Twitter
?s=21
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#6 » by SmashMouthRod » Sun Mar 8, 2020 9:09 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Welp...

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I mentioned earlier this season with all the injuries that I thought he wouldve been good for this team. He couldve been had on a minimum deal; and helped this team more than guys like Leaf; Long; Bowen or Sampson. Now; with the loss of Brogdon and Lamb; He is definitely needed. Like him or not; He can playmake, absorb and give quality high effort minutes off the bench at 1-3. He can approximate Lamb's scoring; and has plenty of playoff experience. His energy is contagious and the fans get more engaged with him on the floor. If this team expects to win a playoff series or two; he can be valuable. The team is still trying to slowly work Oladipo back. It doesnt make sense to one; start running Vic in the ground, and two; go into the playoffs with the guard/wing depth taking that type of hit.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Mar 8, 2020 10:01 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Welp...

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I mentioned earlier this season with all the injuries that I thought he wouldve been good for this team. He couldve been had on a minimum deal; and helped this team more than guys like Leaf; Long; Bowen or Sampson. Now; with the loss of Brogdon and Lamb; He is definitely needed. Like him or not; He can playmake, absorb and give quality high effort minutes off the bench at 1-3. He can approximate Lamb's scoring; and has plenty of playoff experience. His energy is contagious and the fans get more engaged with him on the floor. If this team expects to win a playoff series or two; he can be valuable. The team is still trying to slowly work Oladipo back. It doesnt make sense to one; start running Vic in the ground, and two; go into the playoffs with the guard/wing depth taking that type of hit.

He can rebound and push the pace. I’ll give you that. That’s all he can do though. He sags the defense a ton. Guys don’t fight over screens for him, so he’s troublesome next to McConnell. He’s also not nearly as productive off the shot as Lamb, so he doesn’t really replace that. He’s not able to play the 4, and barely the 3, so he’s not as usable as Jakarr. Also, we couldn’t have chosen Lance over either of Bowen or Naz, since those two are on two ways and Lance isn’t eligible. Instead of Leaf? Maybe. Maybe we just should’ve waived him in the preseason and had Lance as the 6th or 7th wing for rally flag waiving purposes. Alas, we’ve had a ton of injuries and might need someone in case Holiday, McDermott, and Sumner can’t play off the bench. Otherwise, he’s behind all those guys. I will agree, his energy can be fun, when it’s not mind numbing with silly mistakes and fouls. But I trust Sumner to contribute more to winning than Lance.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#8 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Mar 9, 2020 4:06 am

Brogdon was the guy I wanted this past off season, but this was my one fear with him, this 7th different injury that he's missed time from! Is this bad luck or does he have some kind of physical issue? I'm gonna hope for bad luck. Otherwise that contract could become a problem.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Mar 9, 2020 1:16 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:Brogdon was the guy I wanted this past off season, but this was my one fear with him, this 7th different injury that he's missed time from! Is this bad luck or does he have some kind of physical issue? I'm gonna hope for bad luck. Otherwise that contract could become a problem.

It seems a lot of them are chain of movement from the same injury. Essentially, “the back bones connected to the...hip bone!”

Really hope he gets a full offseason off and focuses on yoga with some strength training for next season and starts fresh.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#10 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Mar 9, 2020 1:24 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:Brogdon was the guy I wanted this past off season, but this was my one fear with him, this 7th different injury that he's missed time from! Is this bad luck or does he have some kind of physical issue? I'm gonna hope for bad luck. Otherwise that contract could become a problem.

It seems a lot of them are chain of movement from the same injury. Essentially, “the back bones connected to the...hip bone!”

Really hope he gets a full offseason off and focuses on yoga with some strength training for next season and starts fresh.

Well I know he had the concussion and the hand thing, that's just bad luck. But Yeah he needs to heal up if it's one thing leading to the next. I know I had my own chain of injuries that lead to some major health issues later on in life. I'm in better shape now than I was 15 years ago.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Mar 9, 2020 1:28 pm

Yeah, concussion and hand injury stand on their own, but those aren’t injuries that can be “trained away” with strength training or agility training. As with Brogdon, we’ve just also had our run of bad luck with injuries this year across the board. I mean, Warren has been an Ironman except for a concussion and then a deep wound to his shin that required stitches. Whoda thunk it?
Lazlo4D
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#12 » by Lazlo4D » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:12 pm

Malcolm Brogdon has been so good for the Pacers, better than I could have hoped. You don't like to give a FRP away but there 2020 NBA draft looks horrible. Teams might be selling late 2020 FRP's.

TJ Warren - Wow, has there ever been a better deal. Cash for TJ Warren and and the #32 pick. He's been just great.

Goga Bitadze - Looks like the best choice where we choose. Has a really good chance to develop.

Last summer, the Pacers had almost no extra trade assets and some cap space. Now, they have a nice deep collection of players, most of their future draft assets to play with and few/if any bad contracts.

Wish the team was healthier this year but they just need more time to gel as a team. AND I hope we have the Phoenix Suns on speed dial, I like dealing with them.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:21 pm

Lazlo4D wrote:Malcolm Brogdon has been so good for the Pacers, better than I could have hoped. You don't like to give a FRP away but there 2020 NBA draft looks horrible. Teams might be selling late 2020 FRP's.

TJ Warren - Wow, has there ever been a better deal. Cash for TJ Warren and and the #32 pick. He's been just great.

Goga Bitadze - Looks like the best choice where we choose. Has a really good chance to develop.

Last summer, the Pacers had almost no extra trade assets and some cap space. Now, they have a nice deep collection of players, most of their future draft assets to play with and few/if any bad contracts.

Wish the team was healthier this year but they just need more time to gel as a team. AND I hope we have the Phoenix Suns on speed dial, I like dealing with them.

I'm with you. I could see an argument for Brandon Clarke both where we chose, and just best from Goga on, in a pure fit kind of thing. He really would've filled that 4 spot with an ability to guard the 3/4/5 spots on the perimeter. But I'm more than happy with Goga for now. Will like to see how he develops this summer. More than anything, he needs to watch NBA video, and spend time with Burke on spacing, motion, and NBA awareness.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#14 » by pacers33granger » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:26 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
I'm with you. I could see an argument for Brandon Clarke both where we chose, and just best from Goga on, in a pure fit kind of thing.

Yeah Clarke would have been a pretty good option, but at the time of the draft we had no idea how Domas extension talks would play out. As is, we've been surprisingly shallow up front and there were real concerns about Clarke being able to play center (though I believe he's been a smallball center at times for Memphis).
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:28 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
I'm with you. I could see an argument for Brandon Clarke both where we chose, and just best from Goga on, in a pure fit kind of thing.

Yeah Clarke would have been a pretty good option, but at the time of the draft we had no idea how Domas extension talks would play out. As is, we've been surprisingly shallow up front and there were real concerns about Clarke being able to play center (though I believe he's been a smallball center at times for Memphis).

Yup. And Leaf had just finished the season well for us and looked like he was coming on.

Return to Indiana Pacers