ImageImageImage

2020 Offseason Strategy Thread

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Mar 6, 2020 8:31 am

Thought I'd get something like this started since someone asked me to cut down on the clutter, so I'll try to keep my ideas in here as best as possible.

Hopefully this can get stickied and then when the time comes, it can just be renamed the "2020 Offseason Thread"
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#2 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Mar 8, 2020 3:32 pm

Crowder should be a priority with the $9+ million MLE this summer.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Mar 8, 2020 3:33 pm

Do you all think Barea re-signs with the team this summer?
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Mar 8, 2020 5:21 pm

Let The Following Players Walk This Off-Season:
Courtney Lee (bird rights MIGHT be helpful in a sign and trade situation, but probably not)
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Willie Cauley-Stein (probably going to opt-out)

Might Retire:
JJ Barea (if he wants to stick around though, then I don't have too much of a problem keeping him for the vet min)

Try To Do This:
Trade 2020 1st round pick + GSW 2nd + THJ for Zach Lavine
Sign Crowder for the MLE

That'd be at least 2 open roster spots, and maybe 3 if Barea retires. There are options out there such as Korver, Tyson Chandler, Thabo, Faried, Jeff Green, and a few others, but it might be better to promote Reaves, and I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Broekhoff back. Maybe there are some undrafted players on the Mavs radar as well.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#5 » by Teffer10 » Sun Mar 8, 2020 10:17 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:Let The Following Players Walk This Off-Season:
Courtney Lee (bird rights MIGHT be helpful in a sign and trade situation, but probably not)
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Might Retire:
JJ Barea (if he wants to stick around though, then I don't have too much of a problem keeping him for the vet min)

Try To Do This:
Sign Crowder for the MLE

That'd be at least 2 open roster spots, and maybe 3 if Barea retires. There are options out there such as Korver, Tyson Chandler, Thabo, Faried, Jeff Green, and a few others, but it might be better to promote Reaves, and I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Broekhoff back. Maybe there are some undrafted players on the Mavs radar as well.

I'd like to see the Mavs re-sign WCS and develop Reaves before adding guys like TC, Faried, Green and Thabo.
Reaves looks like he has some nice upside and would probably be out best perimeter defender next season if he could get into the rotation. Also has some great handles and could probably run the offense better than Wright.

I don't see the Mavs trading THJ unless he simply becomes too expensive. Can't imagine them finding a better and more fitting FA and the guy is just entering his prime.

I do think they'll package those picks though for a solid wing player.

I think the Mavs should sign Marcus Morris in the off-season and hopefully package those two picks to move up for Josh Green who would be a better version of Josh Reaves.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Mar 8, 2020 10:39 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Might Retire:

Try To Do This:
Sign Crowder for the MLE

I'd like to see the Mavs re-sign WCS and develop Reaves before adding guys like TC, Faried, Green and Thabo.
Reaves looks like he has some nice upside and would probably be out best perimeter defender next season if he could get into the rotation. Also has some great handles and could probably run the offense better than Wright.

I don't see the Mavs trading THJ unless he simply becomes too expensive. Can't imagine them finding a better and more fitting FA and the guy is just entering his prime.

I think the Mavs should sign Marcus Morris in the off-season and hopefully package those two picks to move up for Josh Green who would be a better version of Josh Reaves.

Yeah, the old vets won't do a whole lot for the Mavs, that's why I think developing a young player like Reaves would be better.

I like your idea of trading up in the draft.

Also, would you rather have Marcus Morris or Jae Crowder?
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#7 » by Teffer10 » Sun Mar 8, 2020 11:15 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Might Retire:

Try To Do This:
Sign Crowder for the MLE

Yeah, the old vets won't do a whole lot for the Mavs, that's why I think developing a young player like Reaves would be better.

I like Morris for our situation because he plays bigger but I’d love to bring Crowder back and move on from Wright.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Mar 9, 2020 12:03 am

Teffer10 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:I'd like to see the Mavs re-sign WCS and develop Reaves before adding guys like TC, Faried, Green and Thabo.

I like Morris for our situation because he plays bigger but I’d love to bring Crowder back and move on from Wright.

I'd be fine with moving Delon. But the Mavs would then have a need for a combo guard. Maybe Dragic, but there's not enough money there for him and either Crowder or Morris.

Who do you like more out of Marcus Morris and Gallinari?
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#9 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Mar 9, 2020 3:09 am

This is an odd off-season. I feel like there's the home run options (a miracle like somehow Brandon Ingram winds up here as a RFA) & then the great additions but would it be enough Bogdan Bogdanovic types, and then just very useful players like Davis Bertans, Aron Baynes etc... You could splurge on a guy like Montrzel Harrell. Or do you wait for 2021 & go all in on home run options like Rudy Gobert?

I would be fine with letting THJ walk. But also okay with bringing him back at somewhere around $8 mil a year (or less if that were somehow possible).

No to the JJ Barea question, but only because Carlisle won't play him. Why pay the guy to ride the bench? Just make him an assistant coach if you're not going to let him play.

Haven't seen enough of WCS or MKG to form an opinion on what to do with them, yet.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Mar 9, 2020 2:40 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:This is an odd off-season. I feel like there's the home run options (a miracle like somehow Brandon Ingram winds up here as a RFA) & then the great additions but would it be enough Bogdan Bogdanovic types, and then just very useful players like Davis Bertans, Aron Baynes etc... You could splurge on a guy like Montrzel Harrell. Or do you wait for 2021 & go all in on home run options like Rudy Gobert?

I would be fine with letting THJ walk. But also okay with bringing him back at somewhere around $8 mil a year (or less if that were somehow possible).

No to the JJ Barea question, but only because Carlisle won't play him. Why pay the guy to ride the bench? Just make him an assistant coach if you're not going to let him play.

Haven't seen enough of WCS or MKG to form an opinion on what to do with them, yet.

THJ will command more than $8 million a year, unfortunately. And you're probably right about Barea. I hope they retire his number though. That'd be really cool to see.

With just the MLE to spend this offseason, I don't know if they can get any of the players you mentioned, aside from Baynes.

Maybe the Mavs can pull off a sign and trade using the players they draft though (and Lee's bird rights). That would enable them to "sign" a new player AND use the MLE.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#11 » by arkuo » Mon Mar 9, 2020 4:12 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
Maybe the Mavs can pull off a sign and trade using the players they draft though (and Lee's bird rights). That would enable them to "sign" a new player AND use the MLE.

This is an interesting angle. A while back the Mavs did a similar move by signing Keith Van Horn from his living room just to include him in a deal. That trade brought back Jason Kidd to Texas.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#12 » by arkuo » Mon Mar 9, 2020 4:27 pm

If we just need someone to play SF, run around screens, catch and shoot well and plays defense, maybe Terrence Ross is a good 3rd or 4th option. Should only cost Delon Wright + 2nd rounder to get him. Orlando needs a point guard and we need a wing.

C- Porzingis / Powell
PF- Kleber / MLE guy / Jackson
SF- Ross / DFS
SG- Hardaway / Curry
PG- Doncic / Brunson

A low cost move. Ross also leads the NBA in points scored off screens. So that's something to take note of.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Mar 9, 2020 6:51 pm

arkuo wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

This is an interesting angle. A while back the Mavs did a similar move by signing Keith Van Horn from his living room just to include him in a deal. That trade brought back Jason Kidd to Texas.

Yeah, it's a rarity, but Lee can still play and you gotta think some teams would be interested in the picks. If the Mavs include cash in the deal to help buy-out Lee, then that makes the deal even more palatable.

Maybe the Thunder would consider it this offseason when Gallinari decides to take his talents elsewhere.

But it's not something I expect to happen. Just an idea that I like throwing out there.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Mar 9, 2020 6:52 pm

arkuo wrote:If we just need someone to play SF, run around screens, catch and shoot well and plays defense, maybe Terrence Ross is a good 3rd or 4th option. Should only cost Delon Wright + 2nd rounder to get him. Orlando needs a point guard and we need a wing.

C- Porzingis / Powell
PF- Kleber / MLE guy / Jackson
SF- Ross / DFS
SG- Hardaway / Curry
PG- Doncic / Brunson

A low cost move. Ross also leads the NBA in points scored off screens. So that's something to take note of.

I'd like Ross, but I think the Magic want to keep the few shooters that they have and just clear up the logjam they have in the frontcourt.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Mar 9, 2020 8:16 pm

Mavs Get:
Danilo Gallinari (signed to a multiyear deal)

Thunder Get:
2020 2nd Round Pick (GSW)
Future 2nd Round Pick
Courtney Lee (signed to a 1 year deal)
$5 million Cash (to buyout Lee)
arkuo
General Manager

Post#16 » by arkuo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:04 pm

Josh Jackson is a nice reclamation project that may come cheap. Lottery pick - turned D-league call up. Has been playing really well the past week or so. Good height, can play D. Shouldn't cost more than the MLE if you ask me. Represented by BJ Armstrong who is a fan of Luka. I say Donnie needs to lobby for him at least. That's a cheap signing.
aguiar95
Rookie
And1: 552

Post#17 » by aguiar95 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:35 pm

To me, our offseason won't be as loud as some might want. Most teams have better assets than us to go for an upgrade. Let this team grow naturally. Having said that, here are our priorities:

#1) Keeping THJ. He's been great this season and fits with our stars. Has played decent defense and is a team player. An extension of 70M/4-years starting on 15M seems fair to me. Spending our assets to improve the SG position doesn't make much sense to me, when there are two other holes on our starting 5 that needs more attention.

#2) MLE guy. This summer, most of the teams will have the over the cap MLE, so we have to be quick to grab at least a decent guy.

#3) Focus on the draft. Scouts should pay atention, because there are some real talent in the spots we're choosing (18-22 and 31-33). If someone that you like and fits this team falls, don't hesitate to trade up. Combinig our two picks should give us the 12th to 15th pick.

#4) Find a trade for Delon Wright. It's not that he has been bad, but with the money we're paying him, he's not producing at the level of the others (Curry/DFS/Kleber)and we already have Brunson as Luka's backup. We could get a better fit like Saric (PHO), Snell (DET), Nance Jr. (CLE). My dream scenario is a sign and trade with Denver for Grant (I would include our picks because of the fit).

Doncic/THJ/DFS/Kleber/KP
Brunson/Curry/Harkless (MLE)/Saric/WCS
1st Draft pick/2nd Draft pick/Jackson/Powell (when healthy gets WCS' place)/Boban
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:40 pm

aguiar95 wrote:To me, our offseason won't be as loud as some might want. Most teams have better assets than us to go for an upgrade. Let this team grow naturally. Having said that, here are our priorities:

#1) Keeping THJ. He's been great this season and fits with our stars. Has played decent defense and is a team player. An extension of 70M/4-years starting on 15M seems fair to me. Spending our assets to improve the SG position doesn't make much sense to me, when there are two other holes on our starting 5 that needs more attention.

#2) MLE guy. This summer, most of the teams will have the over the cap MLE, so we have to be quick to grab at least a decent guy.

#3) Focus on the draft. Scouts should pay atention, because there are some real talent in the spots we're choosing (18-22 and 31-33). If someone that you like and fits this team falls, don't hesitate to trade up. Combinig our two picks should give us the 12th to 15th pick.

#4) Find a trade for Delon Wright. It's not that he has been bad, but with the money we're paying him, he's not producing at the level of the others (Curry/DFS/Kleber)and we already have Brunson as Luka's backup. We could get a better fit like Saric (PHO), Snell (DET), Nance Jr. (CLE). My dream scenario is a sign and trade with Denver for Grant (I would include our picks because of the fit).

Doncic/THJ/DFS/Kleber/KP
Brunson/Curry/Harkless (MLE)/Saric/WCS
1st Draft pick/2nd Draft pick/Jackson/Powell (when healthy gets WCS' place)/Boban

Do you think WCS opts-in to his contract for next season though?
aguiar95
Rookie
And1: 552

Post#19 » by aguiar95 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:44 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
aguiar95 wrote:To me, our offseason won't be as loud as some might want. Most teams have better assets than us to go for an upgrade. Let this team grow naturally. Having said that, here are our priorities:

Do you think WCS opts-in to his contract for next season though?

I sure hope so. For what he signed with GSW, he is not getting the playing time to get a better contract. Maybe that's Mavs playing dumb. Or are they just dumb? He deserves at least 15mpg.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,821

Post#20 » by dirkforpres » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:01 pm

Depending on how the rest of the season/postseason goes, I wonder if Cuban starts to reevaluate Rick Carlisle’s future with the team. I’m sure there would be a plethora of good coaching candidates lining up to coach Luka and KP.

As far as acquisitions, I think Dragic is the obvious free agent target. Not sure if the MLE is enough though, but a guy like Harry Giles would be a nice backup target IMO.

Trades- I would look into moving on from Wright and Powell if there is a market for them anywhere. A player like Gordon at PF would be a nice fit and Orlando might be willing to do it if we throw in our picks on draft night.... I’d also make calls on Bamba and Markkanen too. Guys the Mavs liked on draft night that haven’t panned out on their teams.. That’s who I want them to be circling.
FIRE JASON KIDD

Return to Dallas Mavericks