The CP3 Thread 18-19 Part 1

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Re: The CP3 Thread 18-19 Part 1 

Post#401 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Mar 9, 2020 12:58 am

NinjaSheppard wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Like I've said for years.

The guy is better than Westbrook. He's proving it this year. Shouldn't even be a discussion anymore.
I miss him A LOT in Clipper Land and wish there was some way he was still leading this team.

It really annoys me that Doc the GM basically torpedoed Paul's chances of winning a title and then got bailed out by an elite front office giving him a team that is going to get him another ring.

God...I can't believe Doc Rivers was the GM for THAT long. And people still think the reason why the Clippers didn't win anything was cause of the late game fumble against OKC in 2014. Sports narratives are just so hard to shake off for the average person.
Lost92Bricks
Starter
And1: 2,428

Post#402 » by Lost92Bricks » Mon Mar 9, 2020 1:00 am

I'm just gonna say it. The Rockets are pathetic for now letting OKC pass them in the standings this late in the season. I don't care how temporary it is. Completely inexcusable.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#403 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Mar 9, 2020 1:11 am

NinjaSheppard wrote:

The guy is better than Westbrook. He's proving it this year. Shouldn't even be a discussion anymore.
I miss him A LOT in Clipper Land and wish there was some way he was still leading this team.

It really annoys me that Doc the GM basically torpedoed Paul's chances of winning a title and then got bailed out by an elite front office giving him a team that is going to get him another ring.

Yep.

I have no problem with Griffin being shipped out but I've always said that CP3 will play well into his mid 30s and always wanted him to end his career here. It's beyond frustrating that Doc's failures forced CP to look elsewhere and that Doc gets to come out on the other end smelling like roses.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
wutevahung
Pro Prospect
And1: 665

Post#404 » by wutevahung » Mon Mar 9, 2020 6:57 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
NinjaSheppard wrote:

Yep.

I have no problem with Griffin being shipped out but I've always said that CP3 will play well into his mid 30s and always wanted him to end his career here. It's beyond frustrating that Doc's failures forced CP to look elsewhere and that Doc gets to come out on the other end smelling like roses.

I do remember that Doc was a terrible GM, but since I don't follow Clippers exclusively, can you do a run down of the bad moves that he made? it's hard to google things like these since a lot of it is the opportunity costs, rather than their actual moves.
NinjaSheppard
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#405 » by NinjaSheppard » Mon Mar 9, 2020 7:56 pm

wutevahung wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
NinjaSheppard wrote:

Yep.

I do remember that Doc was a terrible GM, but since I don't follow Clippers exclusively, can you do a run down of the bad moves that he made? it's hard to google things like these since a lot of it is the opportunity costs, rather than their actual moves.

I mean you can start at something as simple as not understanding that signing a guy with the MLE results in the team being hardcapped and then having to include a first rounder with Jared Dudley to dump his contract.

In 2014-15 he had the worst bench in the NBA and no backup point guard. Instead of addressing the issue he decided that he would rather save his son's career and he traded for him and gave him a rotation position after the Celtics were going to send him to the D League.

His roster construction also became a played well vs the Celtics meme. Byron Mullens may be the worst player in the league but he hit a bunch of threes vs my Celtics once so he is going to be my backup big.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#406 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Mar 9, 2020 8:54 pm

Doc Rivers also loved Jamal Crawford to death, even though Crawford shot them out of a bunch of games in the playoffs. Jamal Crawford winning 2 6th man of the year awards while on the Clippers just shows how ignorant the media is when it comes to rating bench players.

In fact it says a lot that Doc Rivers' Clippers is the only team that Jamal Crawford didn't get bounced of quickly.
Lost92Bricks
Starter

Post#407 » by Lost92Bricks » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:50 pm

Read on Twitter

Elite point guard for 13 straight years. Never been done before. Underrated longevity.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,509

Post#408 » by GSP » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:05 am

Lost92Bricks wrote:
Read on Twitter

Elite point guard for 13 straight years. Never been done before. Underrated longevity.

Stockton?
Lost92Bricks
Starter

Post#409 » by Lost92Bricks » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:40 am

GSP wrote:Stockton?

In what years specifically was he an elite point guard.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,509

Post#410 » by GSP » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:45 am

Lost92Bricks wrote:
GSP wrote:Stockton?

In what years specifically was he an elite point guard.

The years he was making All Nba?

Seems like a big reach to call Cp3 an elite point guard last year if Stockton wasnt for the vast majority of those selections at least

Cp3 had a down year last season
Lost92Bricks
Starter

Post#411 » by Lost92Bricks » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:08 am

GSP wrote:The years he was making All Nba?

Seems like a big reach to call Cp3 an elite point guard last year if Stockton wasnt for the vast majority of those selections at least

Cp3 had a down year last season

Stockton was basically All-NBA level from '88 to '97.

Paul is All-NBA-level from '08-'20 and possibly more. You can exclude last year if you want.

Stockton after '97 played limited minutes, I don't think he could've done what CP3 did with OKC this year.
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,328

Post#412 » by ShotCreator » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:22 am

Derozan getting the third team nod in 2017 still makes my insides rot.

But really you also have Isaiah Thomas and John Wall making it over him too. :-? :-?

Realized or not that’s like putting Ingram or Siakam over KD. :lol:

In general the 2020 season was some good redeeming of his reputation on several levels.

But the 2017 Chris Paul was a tier or so above current and got just no love whatsoever. That particular season with the skill and motor he had which has waned more than raw athleticism, was just filthy. Truly the most complete PG ever that year.
Swinging for the fences.
Lost92Bricks
Starter

Post#413 » by Lost92Bricks » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:33 am

ShotCreator wrote:Derozan getting the third team nod in 2017 still makes my insides rot.

But really you also have Isaiah Thomas and John Wall making it over him too. :-? :-?

Realized or not that’s like putting Ingram or Siakam over KD. :lol:

In general the 2020 season was some good redeeming of his reputation on several levels.

But the 2017 Chris Paul was a tier or so above current and got just no love whatsoever. That particular season with the skill and motor he had which has waned more than raw athleticism, was just filthy. Truly the most complete PG ever that year.

I feel like he was at his most complete in 2012-2014 because of his on-ball defense, his ability to get to the basket and his ability to play heavy minutes. I don't necessarily think those are his best years but most well-rounded.

I rewatch the 2014 playoffs all the time and he's literally guarding Curry/Thompson/Westbrook/Durant every possession.
Lost92Bricks
Starter

Post#414 » by Lost92Bricks » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:40 am

I also rewatched his 2008 series against the Spurs and that is easily one of the best series ever for a point guard even with him losing.

Return to Player Comparisons