Read on Twitter
?s=21
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: The Return of Lance....again? 

Post#2 » by pacers33granger » Sun Mar 8, 2020 6:21 pm

As big a fan as I am of Lance and as someone who has actively been in favor of signing him every chance we get, I'm not sure here. I get that Brogdon is probably toast for the season, but does this do much for us other than get some fans excited a bit? We don't really have the roster space for next year and I'd prefer to get guys who will be here some run like Sumner. Or maybe we get a 2nd year if we're thinking we can't or don't want to afford a new deal for Justin Holiday.

That said, I'll still be excited and think he can bring some things to the team. I'm just iffy on direction.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,053

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Mar 8, 2020 6:26 pm

Watch for Alize to be the cut. He was left in Ft Wayne even when we were super short handed.

If Lance is signed, I would hope we’d get a 2nd year, non guaranteed out of it. Only vet minimum is available. He still has to negotiate a buyout/clearance from both China and Fiba. A few things up in the air.

But yeah, I think I’d rather see us actually try Leaf/Alize a bit and have Sampson and Holiday play the 2/3 spots a bit more.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#4 » by pacers33granger » Sun Mar 8, 2020 6:35 pm

Yeah I tend to agree, though I wouldn't be too pleased about it. There's something there with Alize and we've put a lot into his development, so would be disappointing to not even give him a real shot at any point. Maybe he's never more than an end of the bench energy guy and it's not like we'd be cutting a likely future starter, but still the kid has been dominating the G League.

I suppose maybe the front office believes that Sampson gives us what we'd hope from Alize in the future and he was a minimum scrap heap guy.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,057

Post#5 » by Wizop » Sun Mar 8, 2020 7:11 pm

I also didn't understand Alize not being brought to Chicago when we only dressed 11. But I don't think we need Lance as much as a 4. I suppose this means Alize is seen as a 3.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#6 » by SmashMouthRod » Sun Mar 8, 2020 9:18 pm

Im hoping for him to come back. In the playoffs his experience could be valuable. He can approximate some of Lamb and Brogdon's skills. Hopefully A. Holiday continues play with confidence while Vic continues to work himself back into game shape. I like the makeup of shooting (McDermott; J. Holiday) that will be around him off the bench.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Mar 8, 2020 10:20 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:Im hoping for him to come back. In the playoffs his experience could be valuable. He can approximate some of Lamb and Brogdon's skills. Hopefully A. Holiday continues play with confidence while Vic continues to work himself back into game shape. I like the makeup of shooting (McDermott; J. Holiday) that will be around him off the bench.

I think the player that most closely approximates Lance on court now is actually McConnell. Lance has neither the calm and collected dribble drive ability, nor the shot making ability, nor the defensive ability of Brogdon. He has neither the scoring nor spot up ability of a Lamb. Yes, he is a career near 20% assist percentage guy, but he’s also a career 16% turnover guy with a 20% usage rate.

But he is fun sometimes.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#8 » by Tom White » Sun Mar 8, 2020 10:37 pm

I wonder if Lance would need to pass some sort of Corona virus test, or quarantine period, since he has spent so much time in China?
asero
Rookie
And1: 633

Post#9 » by asero » Sun Mar 8, 2020 11:08 pm

He has been in the states for 7 weeks now.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,278

Post#10 » by boomershadow » Sun Mar 8, 2020 11:46 pm

I will never say no to Lance Stephenson. Even if he isn't firmly in the rotation, I think it is a good depth signing with all the Pacer injuries.

I do wish Leaf would get some playing time, though.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#11 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Mar 9, 2020 3:55 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Watch for Alize to be the cut. He was left in Ft Wayne even when we were super short handed.

If Lance is signed, I would hope we’d get a 2nd year, non guaranteed out of it. Only vet minimum is available. He still has to negotiate a buyout/clearance from both China and Fiba. A few things up in the air.

But yeah, I think I’d rather see us actually try Leaf/Alize a bit and have Sampson and Holiday play the 2/3 spots a bit more.

It's a shame that we didn't dump Leaf, since we have no roster spot and Leaf is signed for next season, I can't see us cutting him now. So since I expect no one to try and snatch up Alize at this point maybe we can cut him he stays in Ft Wayne and we give him a new 2 way deal this summer. Then we can try to find a taker for Leaf for a top 55 protected 2nd and give them $4 million to pay him to get a roster spot and dump that salary.

I loved Lance when he was here but that last time he left to go to LA when he could have waited and came back left a bad taste in my mouth. That was the 2nd time he'd left when he should have stayed. If Brogdon is gonna be shut down for the season I'd be ok with Lance on a minimum deal with an non-guaranteed 2nd year, but that means he's getting cut this summer.
asero
Rookie
And1: 633

Post#12 » by asero » Mon Mar 9, 2020 4:16 am

^^ they did not exercise the Team Option on him for the cheap $4M, what is his assurance that the Pacers will still have cap space in Day 3 of Free Agency?
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#13 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Mar 9, 2020 4:24 am

asero wrote:^^ they did not exercise the Team Option on him for the cheap $4M, what is his assurance that the Pacers will still have cap space in Day 3 of Free Agency?

I know but they told him they'd bring him back, what did he get out of LA? Nothing but another failure with a team not named the Pacers. Lance lost $27 million by not taking the 5yr $45 million deal he was offered when he left to go to Charlotto. He had 2 years at $9 million then got cut. Do the math on that, how much did he make those last 3 years?

Our mistake off season of 2018 was taking a chance on Tyreke Evans, but you can't blame a team for trying to upgrade.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#14 » by Vorda » Mon Mar 9, 2020 8:40 am

He can be here as a back up… especially with Malcolms issues… but I would give Aaron more minutes… he is powerfull player...
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,278

Post#15 » by boomershadow » Mon Mar 9, 2020 11:32 am

Pacers fans:

Nate:
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#16 » by Tom White » Mon Mar 9, 2020 11:42 am

asero wrote:He has been in the states for 7 weeks now.

Thanks. I had no idea of the time frame, so that's why I asked.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Mar 9, 2020 1:02 pm

asero wrote:^^ they did not exercise the Team Option on him for the cheap $4M, what is his assurance that the Pacers will still have cap space in Day 3 of Free Agency?

The Pacers has kept his money clear throughout and communicated with him. According to Lance and Pritchard, it was a bit of a blindside to the Pacers in that Lance decided to leave for less money to play for the Lakers and Indiana had to pivot afterwards and signed Kyle O’Quinn.

Make no mistake, Lance has left the Pacers twice now for less money. The decline of his team option was predetermined with him and we was going to sign with the Room Exception that was later used on Kyle O’Quinn and would’ve been a raise for Lance. He left for less money in LA.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Mar 9, 2020 1:14 pm

Tom White wrote:
asero wrote:He has been in the states for 7 weeks now.

Thanks. I had no idea of the time frame, so that's why I asked.

Yeah, as soon as the CBL was suspended for Covid19, he returned to his home in Indy and was seen court side at a Pacers game. However, he’s still under contract with the CBL and because of the league suspending, not cancelling, the season, their season isn’t over yet as it normally would be and he would be cleared to return. Apparently, the CBL is holding firm on the contracts and expecting the players to return for their playoffs and not granting clearance. Chasson Randle just became the first player to leave the CBL for the nba after being denied clearance multiple times already, but he ended up having to repay every dime and more to the CBL to get clearance to join the nba. Lance is going to have to independently buyout his deal in China, and we can’t assist him in that other than offering him a vet minimum contract for the rest of the season.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#19 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Mar 9, 2020 1:21 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

The Pacers has kept his money clear throughout and communicated with him. According to Lance and Pritchard, it was a bit of a blindside to the Pacers in that Lance decided to leave for less money to play for the Lakers and Indiana had to pivot afterwards and signed Kyle O’Quinn.

Make no mistake, Lance has left the Pacers twice now for less money. The decline of his team option was predetermined with him and we was going to sign with the Room Exception that was later used on Kyle O’Quinn and would’ve been a raise for Lance. He left for less money in LA.

Something tells me Lance is not that good at math.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Mar 9, 2020 1:26 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Something tells me Lance is not that good at math.

I think he’s just an irrationally confident guy who’s willing to bet on himself. He was probably honored that Lebron reached out personally and then thought he’d pull the classic Tristan/JR type move where Lebron gets his guys overpaid to stick around and he’s make more after looking great with a legend. Same as when Jordan reached out to him to sign with Charlotte and he pictured himself as a centerpiece, even if it meant less money on his first deal; he probably pictured the future deals rolling in once he got his chance.

Return to Indiana Pacers