ImageImageImage

Welcome Shake Milton

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,372

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#181 » by Eyeamok » Mon Mar 9, 2020 3:57 pm

It's been a horrible season of unrealized expectations. The hopes and promise that the team started out with has all but been shattered. Injuries and the road record has been a pox on this team. So can we please have a glimmer of hope. Even if it does get shattered and Shake is a fake it's OK! At least we would have had this one moment in time.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#182 » by Kobblehead » Mon Mar 9, 2020 4:06 pm

Eyeamok wrote:It's been a horrible season of unrealized expectations. The hopes and promise that the team started out with has all but been shattered. Injuries and the road record has been a pox on this team. So can we please have a glimmer of hope. Even if it does get shattered and Shake is a fake it's OK! At least we would have had this one moment in time.

Well, if you want to stop the cycle of feeling bummed out about unrealized expectations, a good place to start would be to not put Shake on a pedestal right now. He hasn't earned that through consistency.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#183 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Mar 9, 2020 4:09 pm

Eyeamok wrote:It's been a horrible season of unrealized expectations. The hopes and promise that the team started out with has all but been shattered. Injuries and the road record has been a pox on this team. So can we please have a glimmer of hope. Even if it does get shattered and Shake is a fake it's OK! At least we would have had this one moment in time.

Hope is a very valuable thing right now with this team, its hard for me to even want to spend 2.5 hours of my life watching what we have out there at this point.

Shake can be a source of hope, even if his limited athleticism will always limit his upside. Can't say I'm all excited anymore to get home to turn on a Sixer game, its more of on my computer while I'm watching something else on tv. If Shake makes you want to watch the game, cool, for me he is no where near enough.

Right now, it just feels like I'm watching a rerun of Seinfeld...sure its a good show but you get tired of seeing the same thing over and over again. Would be nice to have some hope for this team right now, but its hard.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#184 » by Negrodamus » Mon Mar 9, 2020 4:15 pm

Shake's production will likely level off when Embiid returns as the offense demands we get him the ball. Brown also always satiates Tobias's need to force shots up. He can maintain his high level shooting as Embiid pulls in the defense more, but there will be less opportunities (as there should be) to have Shake be the iso man. I'm really excited to see what he does when paired with Embiid and Simmons. He'll have way more open looks.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,345

Post#185 » by 76ciology » Sun May 24, 2020 7:20 am

How good can this guy be?

Just for his shooting? I think he can be elite. But on other aspects, i think he’s just average at best.

Best case? Brogdon with the Pacers.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,056

Post#186 » by sixers hoops » Sun May 24, 2020 8:21 pm

76ciology wrote:How good can this guy be?

Just for his shooting? I think he can be elite. But on other aspects, i think he’s just average at best.

I was thinking Aaron Mckie type with the size, well-rounded floor game, shooting range. Either low end starter or big minute bench piece. However, while I believe I read that Shake was a good defender in college, he didn’t seem too impressive defensively so far, but he is young so maybe more upside on that end of the court. Nevertheless, I see a really valuable piece offensively.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,345

Post#187 » by 76ciology » Mon May 25, 2020 5:19 am

sixers hoops wrote:

I was thinking Aaron Mckie type with the size, well-rounded floor game, shooting range. Either low end starter or big minute bench piece. However, while I believe I read that Shake was a good defender in college, he didn’t seem too impressive defensively so far, but he is young so maybe more upside on that end of the court. Nevertheless, I see a really valuable piece offensively.

How about Fournier or Tim Hardaway Jr?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Post#188 » by Monix » Mon May 25, 2020 3:14 pm

76ciology wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:How about Fournier or Tim Hardaway Jr?

If you use basketballrefence's play index to compare Fournier's 1st 3 seasons to Korkmaz they are remarkably similar.

I'd imagine that Fournier was doing more off the dribble with those weaker DEN and ORL teams but the shooting numbers eerily match up
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#189 » by Sixerscan » Wed May 27, 2020 1:15 am

sixers hoops wrote:

Yeah I like the more modern McKie comp offensively. Shake is going to have to drink a bunch of his namesakes if he wants to be thick enough to match McKie on the other end though. He has decent instincts he's just not strong enough at this point.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#190 » by ankle420breaker » Wed May 27, 2020 2:25 pm

He reminds me of a lighter version of Josh Howard.

I do agree with the McKie comparisons in terms of impact/role/contribution although they play(ed) with different pace & tempo.

Should be interesting to see whether Shake can sustain his confidence and force Richardson to elevate his play. I'm sure we'll eventually see situations where the two of them are competing for minutes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#191 » by youngcrev » Wed May 27, 2020 3:50 pm

I guess McKie was kinda similar, though they are pretty night and day on the defensive end.

John Salmons is the first former Sixer that comes to mind. Can shoot, but has kind of a slow release. Can run some point, but not a true floor general type. Meh athlete, but good length/size and shifty with the ball. I think Shake's a better shooter and Salmons was a better defender.

Looking back at draft comparisons, that's actually who nbadraft.net used.

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#192 » by Negrodamus » Wed May 27, 2020 3:59 pm

youngcrev wrote:I guess McKie was kinda similar, though they are pretty night and day on the defensive end.

John Salmons is the first former Sixer that comes to mind. Can shoot, but has kind of a slow release. Can run some point, but not a true floor general type. Meh athlete, but good length/size and shifty with the ball. I think Shake's a better shooter and Salmons was a better defender.

Pretty good comparison. Although I think John was still a much better defensive player (based on memory) than Shake. Shake probably a better shooter though.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#193 » by youngcrev » Wed May 27, 2020 4:07 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
youngcrev wrote:I guess McKie was kinda similar, though they are pretty night and day on the defensive end.

Pretty good comparison. Although I think John was still a much better defensive player (based on memory) than Shake. Shake probably a better shooter though.

Agreed :wink:

But yeah, that's definitely the biggest difference. Salmons wasn't a stopper, but he was at least above average on that end.

During summer league I wasn't getting worried that his closest former Sixer comparison was Royal Ivey (though again, worse defensively).
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,621

Post#194 » by Mik317 » Wed May 27, 2020 6:16 pm

still hate Salmons for vetoing the Toronto trade...not even sure the pick was going to be anything but still I have held a petty grudge ever since (also vaguely remember him shooting us out of a game but that might be the petty grudge making it up)
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#195 » by Sixerscan » Wed May 27, 2020 6:36 pm

Mik317 wrote:still hate Salmons for vetoing the Toronto trade...not even sure the pick was going to be anything but still I have held a petty grudge ever since (also vaguely remember him shooting us out of a game but that might be the petty grudge making it up)

Yeah he said God told him not to go to Toronto. I think we were gonna some kind of second round pick, nothing special but still annoying.

FWIW I don't remember John playing much defense while he was here. Lot of dribbling, he was one of those guys that didn't fit with Iverson at all. Got a lot better later on in his career though.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#196 » by youngcrev » Wed May 27, 2020 6:45 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Mik317 wrote:still hate Salmons for vetoing the Toronto trade...not even sure the pick was going to be anything but still I have held a petty grudge ever since (also vaguely remember him shooting us out of a game but that might be the petty grudge making it up)

Yeah he said God told him not to go to Toronto. I think we were gonna some kind of second round pick, nothing special but still annoying.

FWIW I don't remember John playing much defense while he was here. Lot of dribbling, he was one of those guys that didn't fit with Iverson at all. Got a lot better later on in his career though.

In hindsight, can't we just be happy he screwed Bryan Collangelo over by backing out?
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#197 » by Kobblehead » Wed May 27, 2020 7:51 pm

McKie and Salmons were too defensively viable for Milton to be compared to.

How about an ectomorph version of Willie Green?
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,682

Post#198 » by phillynative » Thu May 28, 2020 7:49 am

I dont remember salmons being a solid defender..
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#199 » by Kobblehead » Thu May 28, 2020 3:06 pm

phillynative wrote:I dont remember salmons being a solid defender..

Solid defender at his best (less frequent), non-liability at his worst (more frequent).
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,056

Post#200 » by sixers hoops » Fri May 29, 2020 12:57 am

Sixerscan wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

Yeah I like the more modern McKie comp offensively. Shake is going to have to drink a bunch of his namesakes if he wants to be thick enough to match McKie on the other end though. He has decent instincts he's just not strong enough at this point.

Yeah, mckie, snow, and lynch were really tough, strong dudes.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers