ImageImageImage

Welcome Jevon Carter! (traded for JJ/Melton/2nd's)

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,797

Re: Welcome Jevon Carter! (traded for JJ/Melton/2nd's) 

Post#61 » by Saberestar » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:26 pm

Excited about having a player like him on the roster again. The last tough defensive minded player that we had was PJ Tucker.

And it's not only intensity and energy, Jevon knows how to defend and he understands help defense, angles...his awareness on defense is superb. All of that next to his decent offense makes him AT LEAST a good backup PG in this league for years to come.

Read on Twitter
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,329

Post#62 » by TASTIC » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:32 pm

^He seems to have the same fire as Raja. Lots to like
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,201

Post#63 » by King4Day » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:23 am

Does anyone see anything in him that makes you think he could become a breakout star / superstar? Or does he only have 'role player' written on him?

What are his weaknesses so far? Strengths?
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,634

Post#64 » by Qwigglez » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:36 am

Heā€™s got that edge, always looking to compete attitude. Relentless fire that could make him the most annoying PG to have to play against. He doesnā€™t have the craftiness or the ballhandling skills of a Curry/Irving/Trae. In todayā€™s NBA I donā€™t think heā€™ll ever be an all-star because he just wonā€™t have the popularity or flashiness like other PGs.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#65 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:45 am

DarkHawk wrote:Does anyone see anything in him that makes you think he could become a breakout star / superstar? Or does he only have 'role player' written on him?

No....role player, but a solid backup and spot starter. It does make you wonder if trading and drafting Ty Jerome was needed, though I really like him and he can play the 2. We have so many lineup options and depth and that's a good thing. Dallas and some teams have real depth at PG.

I like what Rubio has done but his lack of shooting really hurts but he should help Ayton and others get easier shots.

I think if there is one position you want a depth of 4 guys, it's PG, especially if one can move to SG. The more playmakers the better. You can do with 7 wings and 4 bigs, with maybe 1 (maybe 2) bigs who can play PF or C, and then one wing who can play PF in small ball lineups....with maybe 2-3 guys (1 at PG, 1 at wing and 1 as a big) in development for the future and then your 2 way players.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,201

Post#66 » by King4Day » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:29 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:Does anyone see anything in him that makes you think he could become a breakout star / superstar? Or does he only have 'role player' written on him?

No....role player, but a solid backup and spot starter. It does make you wonder if trading and drafting Ty Jerome was needed, though I really like him and he can play the 2. We have so many lineup options and depth and that's a good thing. Dallas and some teams have real depth at PG.

I like what Rubio has done but his lack of shooting really hurts but he should help Ayton and others get easier shots.

I think if there is one position you want a depth of 4 guys, it's PG, especially if one can move to SG. The more playmakers the better. You can do with 7 wings and 4 bigs, with maybe 1 (maybe 2) bigs who can play PF or C, and then one wing who can play PF in small ball lineups....with maybe 2-3 guys (1 at PG, 1 at wing and 1 as a big) in development for the future and then your 2 way players.

Unless we get a bargain on Tyler Johnson's next deal, I feel like Jerome will slot into Johnson's position after this season. Saves us money and will hopefully give us similar traits.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#67 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:37 pm

DarkHawk wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Unless we get a bargain on Tyler Johnson's next deal, I feel like Jerome will slot into Johnson's position after this season. Saves us money and will hopefully give us similar traits.

That's a good idea. Not sure of his size, but that would work....5th guard at both positions, Okobo (who appears to have vastly improved...good at defense and staying in front of man, great at getting to the rim, and appears to have a good 3 pt shot -50% on very limited sample size) 6th at both. Though you have Mikal too, but lots of options. Obviously if Mikal played primarily at 2, he'd be first option there.

I didn't expect us to keep Carter and it's obviously early, but if he's cheap, he'd be a great keep unless Jerome simply outplays him. I think we might draft a PG too with the deep and talented class since I don't think we have a likely future star PG...mostly backup caliber guys and Rubio who is getting older and struggles shooting.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#68 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:17 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:I really like Carter. I think he is better than Melton. And I donā€™t think itā€™s that close.

Told ya.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#69 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:18 pm

When you think Carter, think the PJ Tucker of pg's. Not a star but an uber role player who can make a difference even in the most important games.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,611

Post#70 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:33 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

That's a good idea. Not sure of his size, but that would work....5th guard at both positions, Okobo (who appears to have vastly improved...good at defense and staying in front of man, great at getting to the rim, and appears to have a good 3 pt shot -50% on very limited sample size) 6th at both. Though you have Mikal too, but lots of options. Obviously if Mikal played primarily at 2, he'd be first option there.

I didn't expect us to keep Carter and it's obviously early, but if he's cheap, he'd be a great keep unless Jerome simply outplays him. I think we might draft a PG too with the deep and talented class since I don't think we have a likely future star PG...mostly backup caliber guys and Rubio who is getting older and struggles shooting.

He's played 3min this season
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#71 » by Saberestar » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Read on Twitter
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,634

Post#72 » by Qwigglez » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:46 pm

Yeah I figured Monty was adjusting his lineups since it's still early in the season. I think we'll see Carter play in certain games to play tough defense against opposing teams' PG's like Trae Young, or even Jamal Murray. Not too much but perhaps like 8 minutes or so.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#73 » by Saberestar » Mon Mar 9, 2020 3:42 pm

Jevon Carter played 32 minutes in the last win against the Bucks. He is getting more minutes lately because of his much needed defense and good 3p shot.

He has solidified his spot as a full time backup PG. He is playing 16.9 minutes per game after the All Star (9 games).

It's gonna be interesting to know if we will offer him a contract this summer. He is a RFA. I would like to bringing him back.

I would offer him $5M / 2 years contract. Around $2.5M per year looks fair to me.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,910

Post#74 » by Fo-Real » Mon Mar 9, 2020 5:57 pm

I would let him make the phone call to the Uber that takes Okobo to the airport!
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#75 » by nevetsov » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:02 pm

Carter and Jerome are a good complement on paper, and it's starting to translate in games now.

Carter is a defensive ballhawk on opposition PGs, and while Jerome is a bit slower, he's 6'6 with decent defensive IQ so at this stage is more suited to defending SGs anyway.

Jerome plays a more natural play making game, and seems comfortable running an offense. Carter isn't a natural primary playmaker, but can make the extra pass, attack the basket and hit the three.

Okobo doesn't really fit with either - He doesn't bring the playmaking required to play with Carter, or the defense or consistent shooting required to play with Jerome.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#76 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:38 pm

nevetsov wrote:Carter and Jerome are a good complement on paper, and it's starting to translate in games now.

Carter is a defensive ballhawk on opposition PGs, and while Jerome is a bit slower, he's 6'6 with decent defensive IQ so at this stage is more suited to defending SGs anyway.

Jerome plays a more natural play making game, and seems comfortable running an offense. Carter isn't a natural primary playmaker, but can make the extra pass, attack the basket and hit the three.

Okobo doesn't really fit with either - He doesn't bring the playmaking required to play with Carter, or the defense or consistent shooting required to play with Jerome.

That's the problem with Okobo, he doesn't really do anything good. He's a jack of no trades and certainly a master of none. I know what I'm getting from Carter and when he's hitting 3's and giving us something positive offensively, it's a awesome
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#77 » by Saberestar » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:00 pm

Read on Twitter
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,807

Post#78 » by RedIndian » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:48 am

I like Carter. If he were a few inches taller, he'd be an excellent 3&D SG. As it happens, although he's got that dog mentality on defense, he's too short to be a really effective switchable defender. You can pretty much only have him on other PGs. It'd help if his offensive game was better, but apart from an okay-ish shooting stroke, there's not much going for him there. If he can continue working on being more consistent with the 3 point shot, there may be a long term future for him in the league.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#79 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:03 am

Carter is a beast defensively even at 6ft. He's my PJ Tucker at PG, he just does all the right things defensively, occasionally hits a 3 and doesn't take up shots of other more offensively talented players. He's the perfect guy to have in the guard spot.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#80 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:15 am

Maybe more of a backup 2 for Booker/better D, better 3 than a backup PG though, but I guess that's the way they play him, with one of our backup PGs.

Return to Phoenix Suns