GAME DAY, BALA! GAME 63: SPURS VS. MAVS, 10-3-2020, 7PM (CT)

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,642

GAME DAY, BALA! GAME 63: SPURS VS. MAVS, 10-3-2020, 7PM (CT) 

Post#1 » by G R E Y » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:57 pm

Back home for the next six of seven to make the best of it in trying circumstances. We're without two starters now, so it's next man up. The game is the same, and the focus should be as well. Let's give it all we've got - heart, commitment to playing the way that serves the team, and right execution.

WHERE: AT&T Center, San Antonio, TX

WHEN: Tuesday, March 10, 2020, 7pm (CT)

GO SPURS GO!!!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: GAME DAY, BALA! GAME 63: SPURS VS. MAVS, 10-3-2020, 7PM (CT) 

Post#2 » by G R E Y » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:23 pm

It's Military Appreciation Night:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Love how the Spurs honour the military and the way they engage with military families and kids through outreach and support. Respect.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#3 » by G R E Y » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:25 pm

A roster upgrade!
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:01 am

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:41 am

KJ JUST STAYED WITH THEIR LUKA ON D, STRIPPED HIM OF THE BALL THAT LED TO A CRAFTY BELI 3.

I LOVE KJ ALREADY. I LOVE HIM!!!

This is it:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:10 am

Sometimes I wonder whether DD low-key throws plays. His inconsistent GIF level from play to play is inexplicable. Spurs just released his "Spurs Story" and in it he talked about learning to be even keeled. But in fact it's been either too emo or at times too lax or lacking focus with some bursts of locked in play. Can't wait till we don't have to cater to him so much anymore.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:08 am

So a great anti-clutch display for DD back in the game with a great Derrick pass to cutting DD who loses the ball in his feet, and on the next play throws up an airball. Just please get him out of the game, PLEASE, GOD!!!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#8 » by imagump1313 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:31 am

F-ing BS
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#9 » by G R E Y » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:47 am

imagump1313 wrote:F-ing BS

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

On a side note, I think something may be going on with trying to appease DD but balance out wanting to win - we put him back in, but after two bad plays in a row, pretty much kept him away from being the main facilitator and scorer. Maybe he won't notice? LOL
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#10 » by G R E Y » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:50 am

Home sweet home!
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#11 » by Phreak50 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:08 am

This is the White I love to see. Almost perfect starting point guard production for this team.

Obviously consistency is the key but this is so much easier to build and play around than Murray's offensive game.

I love KJ too, just a pity he wasn't an inch or two taller, he'd be a menace.

I'm surprised you're so anti-Derozan Grey, lol! I don't disagree at all, this is how I felt with Aldridge for years.

I wonder if we just sign and trade him to Detroit to keep him happy.

I haven't done the math but would be fine with Kennard and Maker.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#12 » by G R E Y » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:54 am

Love it! There were several good things we did in this game, and it started with a more determined and consistent focus on D overall and throughout the game. There was just a different energy to our team, like we were strengthened by the return of players who provide key roles for us, and it's like something misaligned was put in place and got us going.

On the one hand, it took us a half to adjust to their style of play with LMA back, on the other, with LMA and Beli back we could withstand their play better on D and offer more varied threats on O.

We held our own in the 1st Q despite LMA not shooting well (2-7), and Bryn (1-4) not having it early either, and Derrick only 0-1, but we stayed even with them thanks to DD's 3-6 and Beli's hot hand with 3-3. Both teams hit five 3s in the and we were almost even with them on rebounds (13-10, each team 1 O board). It was a big positive that we had nine assists in the first Q. We put 25 shots (11 from the arc), a solid pace. On the other end, we got 2 blocks and 3 steals to 4 turnovers but it felt like we were finding ways to both disrupt some of their plays with solid movement on D, good rotations and help D, and finding ways to score that supplemented our two main guys.

Despite going only 1-5 from 3 in the 2nd Q, we did enough good things to bring an eleven-point deficit to within five points at the half. I really liked our defensive intensity, and that we kept finding ways to make good plays. Even the ones that didn't go our way like KJ's hustle foul our his block that was a goaltend were still hustle plays and they kept up a certain forward energy in which we kept trying to disrupt their plays and find ways to score.

There were some adjustments to make: Rudy picked up his dribble and we stood watching too long before finally moving and coming to the ball but it resulted in a turnover; Trey drove and instead of taking the more open layup, deferred and tried dishing to DD under the basket for a turnover.

Trey does tend to defer for no particular reason other than catering to seniority, but he's doing far less of that now than in the beginning of the year. Still, he has been stepping up and looking to score, and once again responded with 5-9 (4-7 from 3) and 11 boards. were balanced with good box outs (though we do need to still improve in this area), Derrick's stellar D stripping them on a drive, and possibly the best moment of the game - KJ's stellar dogged defense to keep his feet moving and maintain his balance to strip of their star player - bigger, lots of go-to drive moves, and in the end surprised at the pesky defender - and then pass it ahead quickly to Beli who deftly faked a shot, reset, and hit a 3 was a terrific and much needed boost of transition play. We finished the Q on a 13-7 run which given our issue closing quarters was a nice change. They put up 23 3s to our 16, hitting 11 to our 6, so that was really the only glaring difference between the two teams. Considering that 15-point advantage from the arc for them, it was a solid performance by us to stay within striking distance. Everyone but KJ and Drew scored, with our bench providing 22 points.

We did get down 13 on a 8-0 run to start the 3rd Q, but responded with a 10-0 run of our own courtesy of Derrick and Trey's 3s, Trey tip in, and LMA's J. It was a nice balance to our O that they could not isolate just a player or two. LMA was missing shots in the first half and I thought his arc was really flat. Cue the adjustment, and he had a rounder arc and started hitting his shots.

I love that he fought hard for us tonight. We clearly missed him and his smart D presence - reading a P&R and blocking Luka in the key, being really physical on his post ups and driving with purpose, running the floor for a dunk after Trey hustled to steal it in the 4th Q, sealing his man to finish a deft high-low pass inside. Just a strong performance on both ends. It was really good to have our big anchor back tonight. We don't win this game without him.

Bryn, bless his heart. I've been on him all season, but credit where it's due - he stripped them to gain possession that resulted in a Trey 3, also got a steal that we turned into his 3 and FT for a four-point play. Not his best O game, but he did make some decent plays and didn't faint or wilt when he got switched onto their giant C (our help D actually caused an end of clock miss).

The 3rd was a Q of swings, but we were breaking through to win it and bring the game to within 2. That's why I thought this game felt different when exchanging runs, like we were on an upward trajectory and stayed resilient throughout their scoring streaks. Sure enough we came out blazing in the 4th Q, and it was wonderful to feel the crowd energy, both appreciate of the team's efforts and uplifting the team with its support.

We not only scored well to start, but we kept getting great defensive stops to prevent them from even attempting to score: 9-0 run that came on the back of a strip, a rebound, a steal; KJ's O board that he drove for a putback - relentless, energetic, and it fed the team; LMA's drive for a basket and FT; Trey ran down their turnover and passed it to a smartly running DD who passed to trailing down the middle LMA for a dunk - loved his hyped up reaction. They brought it to within 101-97 on a 7-0 run, but once we got that lead, this time we did not let it go. You could feel that we were locked in and fighting, not on our heels when they tried to make a comeback. This was ours, and it felt good because of some great play.

Derrick was all around wonderful, providing a balance of steadiness and assertiveness 5-11 for 14 points, 7 boards, 9 assists, 2 steals and 4 blocks. What an impact on both ends of the floor. Read the P&Rs on both ends, adjusted his defense from going under to over screens to better contest, made good passes and decisions with the ball of when to drive or shoot. Such a terrific floor general; he stepped right into the position and was a team-high +16.

Pop called KJ coachable and it stood out because it's a big compliment to a young guy coming up from G-League and making an impact just about every time he is on the floor. Pop got on him today, which is a compliment, too. You don't get the heat if you're not expected to give more. Pop also quipped that Beli missed like 6 months from being sick, but that's not why he hadn't been playing hahaha! Tonight though was an amazing resurgence from him. Beli was a huge boost for us, grabbing boards, passing well (he's great at finding the right angles and getting the ball in the right spots to the post), and matching Trey's 4 threes and hitting 6-8 overall. Rudy has had some throwback games of late, and his improved play has really helped us. He's been a good teammate, filling in at the C after growing into a PF from a SF. Going back to his role and handing the bigs assignment back to LMA gave him some pep and he responded with a bench-high 17 points on 7-12. Patty had a perfect scoring night 5-5, 2-2 from 3. Our bench was a stellar 19-28.

During the broadcast they gave some stats about our bench unit this year: 4th in points, 4th in made 3s, 4th in assists, and 2nd in blocks. Those are stellar numbers, and taken as a whole, indicate that a couple of tweaks to the starting unit means we're right back to being consistently competitive.

I do wonder whether that will include DD. Team-high 12 assists, but I've been scrutinizing him a lot more the last ten games or so. From lack of scoring, to holding the ball too much, to just weird lack of focus plays. 2nd Q he got stripped of the rebound and they hit a 3; 3rd Q he got tunnel vision - no one else touched the ball - and he missed a J, and also missed the end of Q shot. Why is it designated that he has to take these? We need to cater to his status and keep him placated to the extent it doesn't hurt the team. He slows the game right down to his pace with the ball in his hands even if we we've been successful in transition and quicker ball movement. In the 4th Q, Derrick passed to him in the key and he lost the ball in his feet and turned it over, and on the next possession he shot an airball. His waning focus at least wasn't rewarded with as many chances. With LMA back, we could safely go to someone other than DD late in the game without it being a 'thing' where he might get offended that someone else is taking the bulk of the shots. He was neither main facilitator nor main scorer, and this worked far better to our advantage and results. He did have his hands up on D, but when it stands out in a few games rather than being something a player always does, it's not a positive. His fit in terms of how we have to keep catering to his game even if it doesn't always serve the team concept is just getting to the point of diminishing returns.

We boxed out at times, but we do tend to lose track of opponents who get rebounds from behind our players, so better awareness on the boards would be good. Our 32 assists was a testament to our team play and varied distribution and scoring - seven Spurs were in double figures. Even though LMA only got 2 boards, having him anchor us in his natural spot set in motion good rotations and switches and it was rebounding-by-committee so that we were not overmatched (42-40 for them, 7-6 on O). We had 11 steals to their 8, and 10 blocks to their 3 - it's great when we're active and responding on D to what any given play requires.

It was a team effort and with a renewed energy and commitment to selfless good-to-great play. Our scoring trended in the right direction, as we outscored them 65-50 in the 2nd half. More importantly, we kept getting stops and points in transition. I'm proud of this win because of how we did it, fighting till the end. Classy of both teams to run out the clock on their final possessions, too. I hope the bar remains high and we keep exceeding it. It's important and fun to be rewarded with solid play on both ends.

NOTEWORTHY ACHIEVEMENTS
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#13 » by G R E Y » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:13 am

Phreak50 wrote:This is the White I love to see. Almost perfect starting point guard production for this team.

Obviously consistency is the key but this is so much easier to build and play around than Murray's offensive game.

I love KJ too, just a pity he wasn't an inch or two taller, he'd be a menace.

I'm surprised you're so anti-Derozan Grey, lol! I don't disagree at all, this is how I felt with Aldridge for years.

I wonder if we just sign and trade him to Detroit to keep him happy.

I haven't done the math but would be fine with Kennard and Maker.

About DD, you know it's been glaring for the last 10 games or so that we have to cater to him even as we ask him to fulfill a certain role, and it's just getting to the point where the trade off is one of diminishing returns for the team. He takes up a lot of energy both in terms of his style of play and emotional focus, and I think we're just on the cusp of being ready to hand over the reins to the younger crop. His waning focus and inconsistent play is wearing thin.

Maybe it's strange to say on a night where he led the team in assists, but still, it's a broader pattern. Maybe he realizes his fit with our emerging style of play is decreasing, but the team has made a lot of changes to cater to his game, too. Maybe I'm just tired of watching him make the same errors you know will come and would rather see younger guys make mistakes, take their licks from Pop, and actually bloody improve as they have been. Like at least LMA has improved on D since he's come to us and is hitting the 3 at a great rate now. Those are positive changes.

Adaptability to the extent it helps the team is good. I guess I'm just tired of us getting bent out of shape in terms of how we play to cater to a guy who stubbornly sticks to his style. Couple that with his general demeanor, and I'm ready for that opt out and S&T.

If it's Detroit, fine. I hope it's not NY because there's some bad blood between the teams so I don't know how willing they would be to work with us. But I'd be surprised if he didn't want to go to a competitive team rather than a rebuild just for money. Heat were said to be interested at the trade deadline; I'd have to look into who we could possibly get back. So we'll see. Fingers crossed.

Agree completely about Derrick and KJ. I think there's a case to be made for Derrick being the better PG for our team right now. Though I have high hopes for DJ, and he has improved this season, he does have a lot of film to go over and room to grow in terms of facilitating and court vision in particular, as well as managing the clock.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs