Coronavirus thread: Season suspended 

Post#1 » by nickhx2 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:24 am

what now
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Re: Coronavirus thread: Season suspended 

Post#2 » by mttwlsn16 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:33 am

Lame. There goes Clippers Hornets for me this year.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,762

Post#3 » by Stannis » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:36 am

Figures... Knicks were winning games and 9 games behind a playoff spot. I had a feeling it was our year and this happens

Sorry for the light humor. Hope all is well, and prayers for the player with the virus.

EDIT: Whoops, thought this was the General Board thread
Free Palestine
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#4 » by Young Sterling » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:46 am

What the eff. This is the Clippers curse for sure, first time ever we're favorites to win it all from the beginning to the end of the season... and then of course the season gets suspended right before playoffs...
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#5 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:48 am

This is the most Clippers thing ever. Of course the year we might finally be title contenders, the season gets cancelled. :banghead:

Oh well. This was the right decision on the NBA's part given the circumstances. The safety of the players, media and fans should always take priority over the league's profits.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#6 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:11 am

Read on Twitter
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach

Post#7 » by mttwlsn16 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:28 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Read on Twitter
Saw that. Awful thought process imo. Still 5 teams fighting for the 8th spot in the West, and plenty of seeding still to be determined. Can't see many teams being cool w this.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#8 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:42 am

mttwlsn16 wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
Read on Twitter
Saw that. Awful thought process imo. Still 5 teams fighting for the 8th spot in the West, and plenty of seeding still to be determined. Can't see many teams being cool w this.

This is one of the many reasons why I'd be shocked if the playoffs happen this year. Four teams would miss out on potential playoff revenue because of something they had no control over.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,260

Post#9 » by nickhx2 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:47 am

they can test out that midseason tourney now lol
mttwlsn16
Head Coach

Post#10 » by mttwlsn16 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:51 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
mttwlsn16 wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is one of the many reasons why I'd be shocked if the playoffs happen this year. Four teams would miss out on potential playoff revenue because of something they had no control over.
Just take a few weeks off and get everything rescheduled. It can't be THAT difficult to find open dates to reschedule whatever games are missed over a 3 or 4 week period.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 973

Post#11 » by clipperlover » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:10 am

Season suspended. Too much money to cancel it at this point. If they suspend for 2 weeks and then pick up in April in front of limited capacity arenas with the games scheduled for those weeks, then I think they can start the playoffs on time. All teams have played about 64-65 games, so cutting 8-10 out over the next two weeks isn't a big deal. They could also make the 1st round 5 games f the playoffs started a little later. Plus, they don't need to extend the 1st round over 3 weekends if they go 7.

The only thing settled today is the Rudy Gobert is the Defensive Player of the Year. He stopped the entire league from scoring for a few weeks.
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,301

Post#12 » by Dynamix » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:14 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
mttwlsn16 wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
Read on Twitter

What about the 15 teams that are pretty much guaranteed to make the playoffs, how would cancelling the entire season be fair to them? They might resume with a shortened regular season, just play some games with a high impact on seedings, could also work as a warm-up of sorts so that players don't go straight to playoffs.

There's enough time over the summer to get something done, but it all depends on how other much more pressing world issues evolve. Hopefully the state of the NBA season won't be at the very bottom of everyone's mind in a few months.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach

Post#13 » by mttwlsn16 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:18 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,190

Post#14 » by Clemenza » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:02 am

Damn shame.. but it had to be done
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 146

Post#15 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:05 am

mttwlsn16 wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah, the Blazers have a legit chance of reclaiming the 8th spot from the Grizzlies.

Anyway, this whole suspension of the season is so sad. Made me feel so miserable... Hope things go back to normal ASAP!!
mttwlsn16
Head Coach

Post#16 » by mttwlsn16 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:58 pm

Shaliq wrote:
mttwlsn16 wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah, the Blazers have a legit chance of reclaiming the 8th spot from the Grizzlies.

Anyway, this whole suspension of the season is so sad. Made me feel so miserable... Hope things go back to normal ASAP!!
Blazers, Pelicans, Spurs and Kings are all within 3.5 to 4 games of the Grizzlies right now.

I'm guessing it'll be at least a month until the season starts back up, probably longer.

I'm sure baseball won't start on time too. The foreseeable sports future is going to suck, and that's basically all I ever watch on TV lol.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#17 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:51 pm

Dynamix wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
mttwlsn16 wrote:Saw that. Awful thought process imo. Still 5 teams fighting for the 8th spot in the West, and plenty of seeding still to be determined. Can't see many teams being cool w this.

What about the 15 teams that are pretty much guaranteed to make the playoffs, how would cancelling the entire season be fair to them? They might resume with a shortened regular season, just play some games with a high impact on seedings, could also work as a warm-up of sorts so that players don't go straight to playoffs.

There's enough time over the summer to get something done, but it all depends on how other much more pressing world issues evolve. Hopefully the state of the NBA season won't be at the very bottom of everyone's mind in a few months.

The logic would be that everyone is equally **** out of luck if the season gets cancelled, but only a small handful of teams get disproportionately screwed over if the season comes back with the current seeding locked in. The latter scenario would come with a perception of unfairness that wouldn't be a good look. The league is definitely caught between a rock and a hard place on that issue, though.

A bigger reason why I'm not necessarily sold on the playoffs happening is because we don't know all the facts yet about how the virus has spread throughout the league. What happens if more players test positive for it? If Gobert's situation turns out to be an outlier, then sure, the season can come back ASAP. But I don't think we can assume that's the case.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#18 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:57 pm

Read on Twitter
mttwlsn16
Head Coach

Post#19 » by mttwlsn16 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:02 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Dynamix wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:This is one of the many reasons why I'd be shocked if the playoffs happen this year. Four teams would miss out on potential playoff revenue because of something they had no control over.

The logic would be that everyone is equally **** out of luck if the season gets cancelled, but only a small handful of teams get disproportionately screwed over if the season comes back with the current seeding locked in. The latter scenario would come with a perception of unfairness that wouldn't be a good look. The league is definitely caught between a rock and a hard place on that issue, though.

A bigger reason why I'm not necessarily sold on the playoffs happening is because we don't know all the facts yet about how the virus has spread throughout the league. What happens if more players test positive for it? If Gobert's situation turns out to be an outlier, then sure, the season can come back ASAP. But I don't think we can assume that's the case.
Everyone isn't equally SOL though. Lakers will have ended up wasting a year of 35 yr old LeBron. Clippers aren't going to be cool with wasting their first ever legit shot at a ring. Bucks haven't won in 50 years. Raptors going for b2b. Celtics are really good.
I'm sure those teams wouldn't much much much rather just wait it out and resume in 2 months if need be, rather than just canceling everything altogether.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach

Post#20 » by mttwlsn16 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:03 pm

Rudy Gobert should be shot for being a douche.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers