ImageImageImage

NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,070

NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#1 » by Embiid P » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:51 am

This sucks for us basketball fans, but it was obviously the right thing to do.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28887560/nba-suspends-season-further-notice-player-tests-positive-coronavirus
downtownpie
Pro Prospect
And1: 399

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#2 » by downtownpie » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:56 am

Its a win for Sixers. Simmons has more time now to get back.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#3 » by Foshan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:21 am

This makes sense, imo. And agree its a win for us.

I'm currently living in China, a city (not Wuhan) that has been pretty shut down for over a month, which, while extreme, has lead to no cases, and life slowly returning to normal. While I don't recommend this for the US as living conditions (and people's world view / behaviors) are very different. I think it would be foolish to not make some major changes (ie no huge gatherings and very strict measures on retirement communities).
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#4 » by 76ciology » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:42 am

Foshan wrote:This makes sense, imo. And agree its a win for us.

I'm currently living in China, a city (not Wuhan) that has been pretty shut down for over a month, which, while extreme, has lead to no cases, and life slowly returning to normal. While I don't recommend this for the US as living conditions (and people's world view / behaviors) are very different. I think it would be foolish to not make some major changes (ie no huge gatherings and very strict measures on retirement communities).

I was about to ask your situation there.

I respect other opinions. But personally, i find it to be exaggerated. Just get enough sleep, try to stay away from stress and get proper nutrition.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#5 » by rzzzzz » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:08 am

Gobert situation stands out, but the questions by a skeptical congressman to testifying CDC expert today about how serious can the problem be if we're still playing NBA games in front of packed arenas must have been a big part of the calculus. I thought it was going to go to games with empty arenas first, but oh well. Everybody be safe out there.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Post#6 » by TheBallsDeeper » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:33 am

downtownpie wrote:Its a win for Sixers. Simmons has more time now to get back.

Not really a win for Sixers - If they go straight to the playoffs Sixers are out to Celtics in the first round. Brad Stevens will again tear Brett Brown apart.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#7 » by Foshan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:35 am

76ciology wrote:

I respect other opinions. But personally, i find it to be exaggerated. Just get enough sleep, try to stay away from stress and get proper nutrition.

While I very much agree with you (and quite frankly have not lived in fear at all the last month+ of getting the virus), however, there are a lot of people in the world who either can't/won't follow such simple advice. (America isn't stereotyped as a nutritious population by the rest of the world :D)

I mean, there have been multiple news articles of people being told they are suspected or family members suspected (in the US) and then they go attend a dance / concert / social gathering with no regards for others. I'm not sure how to describe such people kindly... not bright?

Of course maybe I've just lived here to long, where the phrase "for your safety" is inserted in front of all government actions :D:D
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,773

Post#8 » by Skates » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:37 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:

Not really a win for Sixers - If they go straight to the playoffs Sixers are out to Celtics in the first round. Brad Stevens will again tear Brett Brown apart.

Celtics are a favorable matchup for the Sixers if Simmons is healthy, Milwaukee has to play Miami in the second round, if we aren’t getting home court this is the next best season ending scenario.

Also Thunder are tied for 9th best record so coin flip to determine if we get their first rounder this summer, Griz in the playoffs so Celtics don’t get a high pick with that first rounder.

Add in possibly more time for Simmons to heal and it wouldn’t be the worst thing if the regular season ended this way.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#9 » by 76ciology » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:30 am

Foshan wrote:
76ciology wrote:

While I very much agree with you (and quite frankly have not lived in fear at all the last month+ of getting the virus), however, there are a lot of people in the world who either can't/won't follow such simple advice. (America isn't stereotyped as a nutritious population by the rest of the world :D)

I mean, there have been multiple news articles of people being told they are suspected or family members suspected (in the US) and then they go attend a dance / concert / social gathering with no regards for others. I'm not sure how to describe such people kindly... not bright?

Of course maybe I've just lived here to long, where the phrase "for your safety" is inserted in front of all government actions :D:D

China is about to go back to normal. I think the world will take a month or two to get back to normal. Right now the rest of the world is just catching up.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,899

Post#10 » by Wilfried » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:50 am

But Embiid will be so out of shape again
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,464

Post#11 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:29 pm

2020 has definitely sucked thus far. Stay strong my faceless fellow Sixer fans.
MambaJuice
Junior
And1: 194

Post#12 » by MambaJuice » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:39 pm

Can't believe it's gotten this serious. But with one of the players testing positive, it's the right thing to do. This is how viruses spread exponentially. Imagine all the daps and high fives Gobert has probably been giving out and then everyone else those people came in contact with. And then everyone those people will come in contact with and so on and so forth.

I can't even think about playoffs. *Insert Jim Mora playoffs voice*
76ciology
RealGM

Post#13 » by 76ciology » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:05 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:2020 has definitely sucked thus far. Stay strong my faceless fellow Sixer fans.

Its been crazy.

You know whats more crazy?

I have a group of friends in high levels of the society. Theyve been saying that its going to get crazy in 2020, that i need to save up and buy assets this year.

Anyway, i dont know about the dow jones but in my country’s stock exchange index the chart has been showing signs of crashing in 2020. After our stocks dropped 6% the other day, which was already the second biggest drop in history. It dropped 10% today.

You guys know im mr tin foil hat.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,420

Post#14 » by Eyeamok » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:29 pm

76ciology wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:2020 has definitely sucked thus far. Stay strong my faceless fellow Sixer fans.

Its been crazy.

I have a group of friends in high levels of the society. Theyve been saying that its going to get crazy in 2020, that i need to save up and buy assets this year.

Anyway, i dont know about the dow jones but in my country’s stock exchange index the chart has been showing signs of crashing in 2020. After our stocks dropped 6% the other day, which was already the second biggest drop in history. It dropped 10% today.

So your Friends advised you to buy into a dropping market?

The Dow: We have gone from a historic 11 year bull run down into bear territory in about 2 weeks thanks to people concerns about the virus.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,714

Post#15 » by phillynative » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:31 pm

Wilfried wrote:

But Embiid will be so out of shape again

Atleast everyone will be at least a little right.

I'm wondering if all basketball activities are canceled such as team practices?
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,714

Post#16 » by phillynative » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:45 pm

76ciology wrote:

Its been crazy.

Illuminati?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#17 » by 76ciology » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:48 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Its been crazy.

So your Friends advised you to buy into a dropping market?

The Dow: We have gone from a historic 11 year bull run down into bear territory in about 2 weeks thanks to people concerns about the virus.

Real estate and other luxury items.

I just bought a benz yesterday since the local dealership gave a large discount for this month due to weak sales since january. Stocks, ive been burned badly 5 years ago so i stay away from that. Its not for an overthinker who likes to find pattern and meaning on everything like me.

Now im looking at real estate.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#18 » by 76ciology » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:49 pm

phillynative wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Its been crazy.

Illuminati?

DJIA just dropped 7% today btw. Fastest 20% drop in 20 days in history.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,746

Post#19 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:52 pm

Read on Twitter

Yikes, my dude.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,812

Post#20 » by Stanford » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:02 pm

Not a big fan of publicly shaming people like Woj just did to Gobert.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers