ImageImageImage

So do we Like Brett Brown?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Do you like Brett?

I like him
30
38%
Fire him now
38
48%
Undecided
11
14%
 
Total votes: 79

User avatar
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 9,859
And1: 3,417
Joined: May 03, 2004
   

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#141 » by kingofthecourt67 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:14 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:While I’m not a fan of Brown and want him gone....is Jimmy Butler really the best source? He’s pretty close to the TO of the NBA, he has a history of undermining coaches. We’ll see how long it lasts in Miami, if he ends up turning on Spoelstra we’ll know Jimmy is a true crazy person.

But with that said, Brett has for sure done enough on his own to warrant not returning next year barring a miracle playoff run.


This. Not defending Brett Brown because he should have ran more PnRs and Butler is spot on about how that was handled. But his history preceded him. I’m sure Butler was somewhat difficult to work with.
mjkvol
Junior
Posts: 255
And1: 117
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#142 » by mjkvol » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:44 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:While I’m not a fan of Brown and want him gone....is Jimmy Butler really the best source? He’s pretty close to the TO of the NBA, he has a history of undermining coaches. We’ll see how long it lasts in Miami, if he ends up turning on Spoelstra we’ll know Jimmy is a true crazy person.

But with that said, Brett has for sure done enough on his own to warrant not returning next year barring a miracle playoff run.


Totally agree that if Jimmy acts up in Miami it's pretty clear he can't be seen as anything close to credible. But you know what? I don't think it will happen there, because for one thing in Riley and Spoelstra you have a rock solid foundation in management, and for another I would bet they spelled out to Jimmy what they expected of him and what his role would be before he signed. And Jimmy saw the no-nonsense, professional way they go about their business.

I'd be willing to bet that there was no definitive plan laid out on how to utilize Butler here before that trade was made, and the same is probably true for Harris. The most damning thing he said was the fact that no one knew what the hell was going on half the time, or who was in charge. And to suddenly completely change the game plan the way Brown did before the Toronto series is the height of incompetent coaching.

Yeah, Jimmy might be a pain in the a$$, but too many things he said just seem to add up with regard to Brown and Brand.
Kova
Starter
Posts: 2,139
And1: 401
Joined: Jan 02, 2009
Location: Croatia - country of Drazen Petrovic, Toni Kukoc & Daro Saric
     

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#143 » by Kova » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:51 pm

kingofthecourt67 wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:While I’m not a fan of Brown and want him gone....is Jimmy Butler really the best source? He’s pretty close to the TO of the NBA, he has a history of undermining coaches. We’ll see how long it lasts in Miami, if he ends up turning on Spoelstra we’ll know Jimmy is a true crazy person.

But with that said, Brett has for sure done enough on his own to warrant not returning next year barring a miracle playoff run.


This. Not defending Brett Brown because he should have ran more PnRs and Butler is spot on about how that was handled. But his history preceded him. I’m sure Butler was somewhat difficult to work with.


Well, for starters, JJ Redick, sitting right next to Butler and who is known for having a great relationship with Brett (confirmed it on the video as well), did not counter to any of what Jimmy said. So there's that..
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 7,920
And1: 1,138
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#144 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:00 pm

Up until this year, Brett's been able to hang his hat on being a players coach and his ability to maintain a collectively upbeat and motivated locker room.

With sky-high expectations, his reputation has taken a beating this year (same can be said for Brand). Golden opportunity to retain one of the rare true stars we've seen come through here in the last 20 years and the player lays his logic behind leaving almost entirely on Brett's shoulders.


Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 9,859
And1: 3,417
Joined: May 03, 2004
   

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#145 » by kingofthecourt67 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:13 am

Kova wrote:
kingofthecourt67 wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:While I’m not a fan of Brown and want him gone....is Jimmy Butler really the best source? He’s pretty close to the TO of the NBA, he has a history of undermining coaches. We’ll see how long it lasts in Miami, if he ends up turning on Spoelstra we’ll know Jimmy is a true crazy person.

But with that said, Brett has for sure done enough on his own to warrant not returning next year barring a miracle playoff run.


This. Not defending Brett Brown because he should have ran more PnRs and Butler is spot on about how that was handled. But his history preceded him. I’m sure Butler was somewhat difficult to work with.


Well, for starters, JJ Redick, sitting right next to Butler and who is known for having a great relationship with Brett (confirmed it on the video as well), did not counter to any of what Jimmy said. So there's that..


JJ said "you know I love Brett" and had a great relationship with him
Aussiepiston1
Rookie
Posts: 1,187
And1: 228
Joined: Mar 12, 2009
   

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#146 » by Aussiepiston1 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:25 am

Bye bye Brett don’t let the door hit you on the way out
User avatar
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 9,715
And1: 1,275
Joined: Jan 10, 2009

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#147 » by Foshan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:59 am

Yeah, that 'tape session' with no one talking is pretty damning.
VDT
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,596
And1: 926
Joined: Oct 13, 2018

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#148 » by VDT » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:40 pm

I think the issue has more to do with whoever makes the roster and trade decision than the coach. You basically had 4 players (Harris, Butler, Simmons and Embiid) that want the ball in their hands and it's almost impossible to please everyone. I dont think there was an easy solution for Brown and the blame should fall on those that assembled the roster. I mean, Brown let Butler handle the ball more against the Raptors (as mentioned in the video) and people were complaining about marginalizing Simmons. And i am pretty sure Simmons would not tolerate something like that long term.
mjkvol
Junior
Posts: 255
And1: 117
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#149 » by mjkvol » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:39 pm

VDT wrote:I think the issue has more to do with whoever makes the roster and trade decision than the coach. You basically had 4 players (Harris, Butler, Simmons and Embiid) that want the ball in their hands and it's almost impossible to please everyone. I dont think there was an easy solution for Brown and the blame should fall on those that assembled the roster. I mean, Brown let Butler handle the ball more against the Raptors (as mentioned in the video) and people were complaining about marginalizing Simmons. And i am pretty sure Simmons would not tolerate something like that long term.


Pretty sure that it isn't the fact that he moved Butler more on-ball, but the way there was never any communication from the time Butler arrived, and then bam! he hands Jimmy the ball before the most important series of the season. Whether or not it was unfair to Ben, this is the kind of thing that should have been discussed and implemented long before it was.

It's another example of Brown's reactive coaching style. He has his system, and will only adjust way after it has become clear even to fans watching on TV that adjustments need to be made. Finally moving Horford out of the starting lineup long after it was painfully clear it wasn't working was a classic example.
User avatar
WVU
Rookie
Posts: 1,083
And1: 759
Joined: Feb 05, 2013
       

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#150 » by WVU » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:37 pm

I've always been on the Brett Brown bandwagon but I think I've finally reached the point of wanting to move on. This most recent interview with Jimmy Butler (not the sole reason I've changed takes) was the tipping point. I think Ben and Joel, to reach their full potential together, need a new voice. What scares me is I don't trust FO or ownership to make the right hire. The only hire that would excite me is Jay Wright.. but he isn't leaving Villanova for here.
VDT
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,596
And1: 926
Joined: Oct 13, 2018

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#151 » by VDT » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:02 am

mjkvol wrote:
VDT wrote:I think the issue has more to do with whoever makes the roster and trade decision than the coach. You basically had 4 players (Harris, Butler, Simmons and Embiid) that want the ball in their hands and it's almost impossible to please everyone. I dont think there was an easy solution for Brown and the blame should fall on those that assembled the roster. I mean, Brown let Butler handle the ball more against the Raptors (as mentioned in the video) and people were complaining about marginalizing Simmons. And i am pretty sure Simmons would not tolerate something like that long term.


Pretty sure that it isn't the fact that he moved Butler more on-ball, but the way there was never any communication from the time Butler arrived, and then bam! he hands Jimmy the ball before the most important series of the season. Whether or not it was unfair to Ben, this is the kind of thing that should have been discussed and implemented long before it was.

It's another example of Brown's reactive coaching style. He has his system, and will only adjust way after it has become clear even to fans watching on TV that adjustments need to be made. Finally moving Horford out of the starting lineup long after it was painfully clear it wasn't working was a classic example.


I ma just saying that it was hard to find a solution that would please everyone. Butler is complaining that they didnt adjust the system but Brown was probably afraid that he would alienate Simmons if he gave the ball to Butler. The blame is more on the one that assembled the roster and if Brown had a say in that without having an idea how to make it work then he is also to blame.

I think the organization and the coaching stuff is too self conscious with the questionable fit between Simmnons and Embiid and in their attempt to prevent them from asking out in the future due to some clash between them, they have somewhat paralyzed the team. As Brown says they should respect each other on the court but this has led to people not trying to step on each others toes and is probably a reason for the lack of leadership.
mjkvol
Junior
Posts: 255
And1: 117
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#152 » by mjkvol » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:46 am

VDT wrote:I'm just saying that it was hard to find a solution that would please everyone. Butler is complaining that they didnt adjust the system but Brown was probably afraid that he would alienate Simmons if he gave the ball to Butler. The blame is more on the one that assembled the roster and if Brown had a say in that without having an idea how to make it work then he is also to blame.


I'm not absolving Brand by a long shot. But you'd think that it would be common sense to have thought out the X's and O's and where Butler would fit in the scheme before pulling the trigger on a trade. I have to believe that Brown was consulted and approved of the deal. Same thing with the Harris deal.

It just appears that two deals were made for players without regard for the fit and how they would be used, but just to get two notable talents here. You win in this league with a couple of stars and a lot of players who fit a specific role, and a scheme that maximizes the talent on hand. The Sixers thought that more 'stars' would outweigh the need for a solid scheme and role players to fit that scheme.
sixers4real
Pro Prospect
Posts: 890
And1: 465
Joined: Nov 27, 2015
 

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#153 » by sixers4real » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:23 am

I was supporting Brett Brown since October 1, 2013.
It's been almost 7 years, and I think it's time to move on. We need a shake up, that starts with him.
We need a new coach.
RaptorsLife wrote:Sixers are garbage

Jimmy butler leaving them has bigger impact than Kawhi leaving raptors
Dnt hate
Senior
Posts: 535
And1: 270
Joined: Jun 14, 2016

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#154 » by Dnt hate » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:27 am

mjkvol wrote:
VDT wrote:I think the issue has more to do with whoever makes the roster and trade decision than the coach. You basically had 4 players (Harris, Butler, Simmons and Embiid) that want the ball in their hands and it's almost impossible to please everyone. I dont think there was an easy solution for Brown and the blame should fall on those that assembled the roster. I mean, Brown let Butler handle the ball more against the Raptors (as mentioned in the video) and people were complaining about marginalizing Simmons. And i am pretty sure Simmons would not tolerate something like that long term.


Pretty sure that it isn't the fact that he moved Butler more on-ball, but the way there was never any communication from the time Butler arrived, and then bam! he hands Jimmy the ball before the most important series of the season. Whether or not it was unfair to Ben, this is the kind of thing that should have been discussed and implemented long before it was.

It's another example of Brown's reactive coaching style. He has his system, and will only adjust way after it has become clear even to fans watching on TV that adjustments need to be made. Finally moving Horford out of the starting lineup long after it was painfully clear it wasn't working was a classic example.

It's called adjustments man, and BB and the sixers did an awesome job vs the raptors last year
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,821
And1: 4,172
Joined: May 05, 2012
   

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#155 » by eagereyez » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:25 am

WVU wrote:I've always been on the Brett Brown bandwagon but I think I've finally reached the point of wanting to move on. This most recent interview with Jimmy Butler (not the sole reason I've changed takes) was the tipping point. I think Ben and Joel, to reach their full potential together, need a new voice. What scares me is I don't trust FO or ownership to make the right hire. The only hire that would excite me is Jay Wright.. but he isn't leaving Villanova for here.
Part of the reason I don't want to see them let Brown go is because I'm afraid of who the replacement will be. They replaced Hinkie with Colangelo and Colangelo with Brand. I could see them bringing in Mark Jackson or Jason Kidd.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,564
And1: 13,347
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#156 » by 76ciology » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:48 am

3 things.
1.) we have a very young team
2.) part of a young team’s development is failing in order to learn and it’s painful
3.) biid and ben are not a good fit and they are not as good as we wish them to be

We watch atleast 90% sixers basketball. Try to watch other teams play, and you may appreciate Brett.

And honestly, blaming the coach is just a lazy way to blame the players. Frank Vogel is now the head coach of the league leading Lakers. Tyrone Lue is a championship coach and Brad Stevens is not.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
Wilfried
Veteran
Posts: 2,979
And1: 1,067
Joined: May 24, 2007

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#157 » by Wilfried » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:35 am

The only important question is: does he have the support from the locker room?
If not, you know the coach doesn't have a future anymore with this team.

I'm afraid the fact that he's not able to confront Simmons and dare him to shoot the 3, is his Waterloo.
M2J
Senior
Posts: 502
And1: 215
Joined: Sep 04, 2012

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#158 » by M2J » Yesterday 7:14 am

Wilfried wrote:The only important question is: does he have the support from the locker room?
If not, you know the coach doesn't have a future anymore with this team.

I'm afraid the fact that he's not able to confront Simmons and dare him to shoot the 3, is his Waterloo.


I have to say, that's a slippery slope. As others have said, you don't know what they'll replace him with, an me he really is a smart coach. He isn't afraid to confront Ben about not shooting? How do I know? 1. He's publicly said he's daring Ben to shoot at least once a game. 2. Pumped him up as if he's going to do it coming into this bubble. 3. Benched his ass in favor of Tj McConnell. 4. Moved him to a dunker position in the playoffs and taken the ball from him. 5. Declared that the 2x all star of, is no longer the pg in favor of Shake. Didn't just put Shake in the lineup as a spacer.

You could bring in another coach to publicly fight with Ben, but that won't help him actually shoot, and you'll either need to get another coach or trade Ben. Which is something you can do now before it's a proven fact that he's a headcase and loses value.

I think the worst things you can say about him is that perhaps he doesn't adjust in game super well, but he does make adjustments that are critical over the course of a season or series. People also complain about the drop coverage, but that coverage is complained about on basically every board on real gm. If not that, then you see people like the Bucks fans complaining about not adjusting in games to giving up the 3pt shots, while protecting the middle.

I really could understand replacing Brett just to get a new voice, but I watch a lot of basketball, and a lot of teams and I like his systems and adjustments. I would say that he's probably better for a mature team in terms of his approach with players. But these guys will grow up, and there front office can also play the bad guy sometime too.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 42,564
And1: 13,347
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#159 » by 76ciology » Yesterday 9:46 am

Ben doesnt want to shoot because it will hurt his marketability. I dont know why you guys can’t recognize this.

Bring his FG% lower with a very bad FT% and very bad 3pt % while averaging just as many points as Norman Powell at 16ppg won’t help his value.

It is not a basketball decision.
It is a business decision. :lol:
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 7,920
And1: 1,138
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: So do we Like Brett Brown? 

Post#160 » by ankle420breaker » Yesterday 11:06 am

Anyone catch his "Wired" segment during yesterday's game?

He dramatically praised how well they were playing (as if he was talking to a youth rec team) before calling out the 10 early turnovers. He and someone else were both like "too many turnovers, we're not passing great, but you've the right idea... you're doing great."

Brett's too damn nice. To reach the pinnacle, you've got to have little a-hole in you. This team needs a coach who's able to take some disciplinary action to get his guys locked in every night.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Philadelphia 76ers