ImageImageImageImageImage

Coronavirus thread: Season suspended

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Skallagrimsson
Ballboy
And1: 1

Re: Coronavirus thread: Season suspended 

Post#21 » by Skallagrimsson » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:48 pm

I haven't seen anything confirming the season has been cancelled. Is there a source for that out there? All I have been able to find is that it has been put on hiatus until they figure out how to move forward dealing with the virus issues. I think it would be pretty costly to the owners to cancel the season, I doubt that they would support that unless there was no other viable path forward.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,829

Post#22 » by SK21209 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:33 pm

Cancelling the rest of the regular season and starting the playoffs on the normal schedule would be the optimal outcome, but it might be wishful thinking to think we can just resume as normal in a month and a half. I'm not sure people have accepted yet that this is going to require a pretty stark change in everyone's lifestyle for a while. I look forward to getting to know all of you guys better as we all self-quarantine and inevitably spend more time online.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 726

Post#23 » by Captain Ballmer » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:46 pm

Hope Gobert&Mitchell would get better and our players doesn't affected by the virus. There is just No reason to rush it. Everyone in the world has bigger problems now.

Take good care of yourselves my fellow clippers fans.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#24 » by esqtvd » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:52 pm

Skallagrimsson wrote:I haven't seen anything confirming the season has been cancelled. Is there a source for that out there? All I have been able to find is that it has been put on hiatus until they figure out how to move forward dealing with the virus issues. I think it would be pretty costly to the owners to cancel the season, I doubt that they would support that unless there was no other viable path forward.

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#25 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:27 pm

Read on Twitter

No March Madness, Frozen Four or College World Series this year. Sucks for the student-athletes who wanted to compete, but safety comes first. Hopefully the NCAA does the right thing and extends their eligibility.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#26 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:40 pm

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#27 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:36 pm

Read on Twitter
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#28 » by esqtvd » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:13 am

omg

Rudy was clowning around rubbing on everybody and touching all the microphones

now he's Typhoid Mary and people are hating on him bigtime

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#29 » by Young Sterling » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:40 pm

mttwlsn16 wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
Read on Twitter
Saw that. Awful thought process imo. Still 5 teams fighting for the 8th spot in the West, and plenty of seeding still to be determined. Can't see many teams being cool w this.

So here's how it could work. Basically every team is a lock for playoffs except for the 8th seed in the West, East is fairly secure for Orlando. The four teams in the race for that 8th spot (Grizzlies, Portland, Kings, and Pelicans) can do a mini 3 game series. Four teams face off one day, then the two winners would play a couple days later. Winner gets 8th spot. You could do this without any fans present as it would only be 3 NBA games while every other team gets a BYE. Playoffs start as planned in April. Problem solved.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#30 » by donemilio21 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:25 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
mttwlsn16 wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
Read on Twitter
Saw that. Awful thought process imo. Still 5 teams fighting for the 8th spot in the West, and plenty of seeding still to be determined. Can't see many teams being cool w this.

This is one of the many reasons why I'd be shocked if the playoffs happen this year. Four teams would miss out on potential playoff revenue because of something they had no control over.

revenue sharing. all teams benefit of playoffs
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,245

Post#31 » by wco81 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:21 am

Yeah millions in lost revenues. That's why Silver won't completely rule out continuing the season in some form or another.

Bill Simmons said this is tough on the Clippers. They miss a title contention window this year.

Assuming we have a normal season for 2020-21. That would be the second year of PG13 and KL.

But after that second season, they could potentially opt out.

No reason to think they would but you can't rule it out either. What would be the plan, they sign super Max deals in summer of 2021?

But then how many role players would the Clippers be able to keep? Harrell? Williams? Any of the midseason acquisitions?

Of course Ballmer could just pay luxury taxes and keep the roster as intact as possible.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#32 » by esqtvd » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:04 am

wco81 wrote:Yeah millions in lost revenues. That's why Silver won't completely rule out continuing the season in some form or another.

Bill Simmons said this is tough on the Clippers. They miss a title contention window this year.

Assuming we have a normal season for 2020-21. That would be the second year of PG13 and KL.

But after that second season, they could potentially opt out.

No reason to think they would but you can't rule it out either. What would be the plan, they sign super Max deals in summer of 2021?

But then how many role players would the Clippers be able to keep? Harrell? Williams? Any of the midseason acquisitions?

Of course Ballmer could just pay luxury taxes and keep the roster as intact as possible.

WCO, I think you just hit on something bigtime.

● The NBA salary cap is based on giving the players about 50% of league revenues.

● With this disaster, the NBA will lose a billion dollars.

● The sal cap is now exploded. All previous projections of ~$110 million per team per year are poof!

● There was much kvetching about the Clippers giving big dollars to Austin and Jamal in the crazy summer of 2016 but the fact was, it was either re-sign your own free agents or sign minimum-salary guys. Nothing in between once you've exploded your cap.

● Unless the NBA--the owners--vote to change the system in place, there will be NO free agent dollars out there for guys like Trezz.

● Basically--again, under existing CBA rules--every contender's roster is frozen in place for the next few years. Re-sign your own FAs or try to replace them with minimum-wage garbage.

Since this is no skin off the owners' backs [or pockets], I think they'll be happy to recast the status quo for another year or two.

● This is a great season at the top, and the have-nots with kids like the Hawks with Trae Young and the Pels with Zion will only get better in the meantime.

● The Dubs will be back with Steph, Klay, Draymond [FA but no suitors] plus a high draft pick, maybe even #1

● Jimmy Butler with some very promising kids down there in MIA are already making noise

●KD and Kyrie [and DJ, lol] start their thing in Crooklyn

Fanwise, the thing is just starting/re-starting

I think the Clippers roster is gonna be about the same this time next year
and I'm good with that
I love these guys

But frankly, I don't want to be the Lakers, lol
Bron another year older at 36 and no roster past AD

look out beloooooooooooooow...
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 993

Post#33 » by clipperlover » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:43 pm

esqtvd wrote:

You don't actually believe that an aging Irving and Durant are going to make the Nets anything other than the East's Houston do you? They will rack up some regular season wins, but get smoked in the playoffs.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#34 » by esqtvd » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:48 pm

clipperlover wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

You don't actually believe that an aging Irving and Durant are going to make the Nets anything other than the East's Houston do you? They will rack up some regular season wins, but get smoked in the playoffs.

Kyrie turned 28 a couple days ago and KD turns 32 in September. They both have rings. Both made our/my top 75 list. I wouldn't call myself a believer, but I wouldn't sleep on those two. They both still have something to prove, that they can do it without LeBron and Steph.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#35 » by esqtvd » Wed Apr 1, 2020 9:22 pm

Ballmer is the best

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM