ImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

What kind of player do you think we need most?

Point Guard
13%
Scoring Guard
62%
Great Shooter
18%
3&D Wing
7%

Total votes: 61

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Re: Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#301 » by Skin » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:22 pm

The Effect wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:
zaymon wrote:and he is 6'6 with a 6'10 winspan and not a liability on defense. If Herro was a lottery pick, why Nesmith is projected to go outside ? Becouse of Herro pull up shooting ? I dont quite get it, i have him in the lottery on my big board.

I'm sure he will start climbing up the draft board soon. He is too efficient right now not to be in the lottery already.

this has to be our guy if available

I liked Nesmith early on and I see the momentum of his stock growing here, but there is one concern that I have of his that leaves room for others to surpass him imo and that is his lack of athleticism. Not that that is the end all be all trait... but it does leave me wondering how much of his game will translate.

Vassell was a guy I wasn't onto at all until he was brought up here a few weeks ago... and I must say, he is like Nesmith but WITH athleticism. If today was the draft, I'd take Vassell over Nesmith... easily. Especially when you consider the whole health factor... I'm damn tired of our rookies being hurt and Vassell seems like a guy who will be ready and fit to play an entire rookie season.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#302 » by Bensational » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:18 pm

Skin wrote:
The Effect wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:
I'm sure he will start climbing up the draft board soon. He is too efficient right now not to be in the lottery already.

this has to be our guy if available

I liked Nesmith early on and I see the momentum of his stock growing here, but there is one concern that I have of his that leaves room for others to surpass him imo and that is his lack of athleticism. Not that that is the end all be all trait... but it does leave me wondering how much of his game will translate.

Vassell was a guy I wasn't onto at all until he was brought up here a few weeks ago... and I must say, he is like Nesmith but WITH athleticism. If today was the draft, I'd take Vassell over Nesmith... easily. Especially when you consider the whole health factor... I'm damn tired of our rookies being hurt and Vassell seems like a guy who will be ready and fit to play an entire rookie season.

Athleticism wise, you shouldn't let that taint your view of Nesmith too much. He has decent/good athleticism, though not elite, but he has skill first and foremost. Tatum and Doncic had questions about their athleticism, but both guys had skill so it didn't matter. I would love to bring in a player for once who's shown they can have the knack and mentality to be a top scorer, rather than someone who has the tools that we hope can put it all together.

That said, I'm still a huge Vassell fan and he's #2 on my board.
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#303 » by Patrick1978 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:28 pm

Bensational wrote:
Skin wrote:
The Effect wrote:this has to be our guy if available

Athleticism wise, you shouldn't let that taint your view of Nesmith too much. He has decent/good athleticism, though not elite, but he has skill first and foremost. Tatum and Doncic had questions about their athleticism, but both guys had skill so it didn't matter. I would love to bring in a player for once who's shown they can have the knack and mentality to be a top scorer, rather than someone who has the tools that we hope can put it all together.

Who is #1 on your board?
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
Skin
RealGM

Post#304 » by Skin » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:45 pm

Patrick1978 wrote:
Bensational wrote:
Skin wrote:I liked Nesmith early on and I see the momentum of his stock growing here, but there is one concern that I have of his that leaves room for others to surpass him imo and that is his lack of athleticism. Not that that is the end all be all trait... but it does leave me wondering how much of his game will translate.

Who is #1 on your board?

Anthony Edwards
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Patrick1978
Veteran

Post#305 » by Patrick1978 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:29 pm

Skin wrote:
Patrick1978 wrote:
Bensational wrote:

Who is #1 on your board?

Anthony Edwards

Ok but out of reach for the Magic
Magic din romania

Fire Frank Vogel
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#306 » by Bensational » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:41 pm

Patrick1978 wrote:
Bensational wrote:
Skin wrote:I liked Nesmith early on and I see the momentum of his stock growing here, but there is one concern that I have of his that leaves room for others to surpass him imo and that is his lack of athleticism. Not that that is the end all be all trait... but it does leave me wondering how much of his game will translate.

Who is #1 on your board?

Nesmith, from our draft position. Haven't really studied the top lottery options.
Patrick1978
Veteran

Post#307 » by Patrick1978 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:24 pm

Bensational wrote:
Patrick1978 wrote:
Bensational wrote:

Who is #1 on your board?

Nesmith, from our draft position. Haven't really studied the top lottery options.

Me too i have not really looked at the top lottery as they are out of reach for Orlando.

I just look at options for the Magic.

Devin Vassell
Saddiq Bey
Aaron Nesmith
Patrick Williams
Jahmi'us Ramsey
Josh Green
Nico Mannion
Kira Lewis
Magic din romania

Fire Frank Vogel
Skin
RealGM

Post#308 » by Skin » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:05 pm

Bensational wrote:
Skin wrote:

Yeah I would say it's like splitting hairs... preference seems to change depending on the day or mood. I bet that's what front offices are like too. Frequent wavering during the process. Watched some clips today and came away impressed with how smooth Nesmith is. So he's back to the top lol.

This isn't like Dipo vs BMac where I was on opposite sides. I would be happy with either Nesmith or Vassell.

Some others in the mix too.
Patrick1978
Veteran

Post#309 » by Patrick1978 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:12 pm

Skin wrote:
Bensational wrote:

Yeah I would say it's like splitting hairs... preference seems to change depending on the day or mood. I bet that's what front offices are like too. Frequent wavering during the process. Watched some clips today and came away impressed with how smooth Nesmith is. So he's back to the top lol.

This isn't like Dipo vs BMac where I was on opposite sides. I would be happy with either Nesmith or Vassell.

Which other players do you have in the mix too?
Magic din romania

Fire Frank Vogel
Skin
RealGM

Post#310 » by Skin » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:35 am

Patrick1978 wrote:
Skin wrote:
Bensational wrote:

Which other players do you have in the mix too?

Well.... it's hard to say who's in our range... some wishful thinking here, but as of right now something like this...

1. Tyrese Haliburton
2. Jaden McDaniels
3a. Aaron Nesmith
3b. Devin Vassell
4. Saddiq Bey
5. RJ Hampton
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#311 » by jezzerinho » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:59 am

One thing is for sure, with the season suspended, this year's draft class is going to be the most analysed, debated and considered bunch of players for a long time. FOs will have a lot of time to plot FA and draft moves, probably too much considering they'll have fewer minutes of game film to look at.
jezzerinho
Starter

Post#312 » by jezzerinho » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:40 pm

Bensational wrote:
Skin wrote:

Looking at the two of them initially, Vassell looks like the guy Magic fans would say in Year 1 "why the hell didn't we take Nesmith?" and then in Year 2 or maybe 3, it could be a case of "aaaah, okaaay". Nesmith to me looks NBA ready out the gate, albeit with a lower overall ceiling. If shooting is all a team is after, Nesmith for me looks the stronger bet. His ability to make space for himself and get off a beautiful smooth shooting action is definitely translatable. Vassell though has terrific footwork, better passing vision, great anticipation on D, more range with his handle, better in transition/ISO, better at the rim, looser and more athletic overall as a player. The footwork alone has me intrigued with his potential.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#313 » by The Effect » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:44 am

jezzerinho wrote:
Bensational wrote:

Looking at the two of them initially, Vassell looks like the guy Magic fans would say in Year 1 "why the hell didn't we take Nesmith?" and then in Year 2 or maybe 3, it could be a case of "aaaah, okaaay". Nesmith to me looks NBA ready out the gate, albeit with a lower overall ceiling. If shooting is all a team is after, Nesmith for me looks the stronger bet. His ability to make space for himself and get off a beautiful smooth shooting action is definitely translatable. Vassell though has terrific footwork, better passing vision, great anticipation on D, more range with his handle, better in transition/ISO, better at the rim, looser and more athletic overall as a player. The footwork alone has me intrigued with his potential.

I dont know whats more funny,
How much people on here overvalue athleticism over skill+production
Or, How much this board overrates florida schools players

Sorry, going for athletes over basketball players is how you ended with guys like bamba and kevin knox instead of an SGA or how you get a Lonnie walker instead of someone like Shamet or kevin huerter

To me, Nesmith looks like a Buddy hield who actually plays defense, and sorry, but if i get a chance to draft that in the middle of the 1st, im taking it. i get buddy hield isnt exactly the highest ceiling, but for drafting at 15-20, thats what you need, especially when you have a team thats as bad as us when it comes to outside shooting.
jezzerinho
Starter

Post#314 » by jezzerinho » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:45 am

I literally listed 8 things I think Vassell is better at but you'd like to make a strawman about skill Vs athleticism so you chose to entirely misrepresent what I wrote.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,943

Post#315 » by p0peye » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:59 am

Vassell looks like solid 3&D wing, Nesmith seems like a good shooter to have, I was higher on him earlier in the season, not that high on him now as he reminds me a bit of Buddy Hield (for better or worse).
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#316 » by Xatticus » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:40 am

The Effect wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:
Bensational wrote:

I dont know whats more funny,
How much people on here overvalue athleticism over skill+production
Or, How much this board overrates florida schools players

Sorry, going for athletes over basketball players is how you ended with guys like bamba and kevin knox instead of an SGA or how you get a Lonnie walker instead of someone like Shamet or kevin huerter

To me, Nesmith looks like a Buddy hield who actually plays defense, and sorry, but if i get a chance to draft that in the middle of the 1st, im taking it. i get buddy hield isnt exactly the highest ceiling, but for drafting at 15-20, thats what you need, especially when you have a team thats as bad as us when it comes to outside shooting.

I haven't really dived into Nesmith yet, but I think it's really reasonable to like Vassell without having a bias for Florida players. Vassell's offensive skill set looks limited to me, but I believe he will be a really good 3-and-D wing. That's a nice player to have. I like his defense a lot more than his offense right now. I don't actually see a whole lot of offensive upside with him and I would trust that 3-point shot a lot more if came along with a better free throw percentage, but there is nothing not to like about his defensive potential. I think he is an inferior prospect to Mikal Bridges, but he is still a pretty good get around the middle of the first round.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
jezzerinho
Starter

Post#317 » by jezzerinho » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:59 pm

When he's pressured, Vassell speeds up his shooting action, it flattens and he misses short a lot. Maybe a symptom of him not being able to create the same space other shooters can ,Nesmith included.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#318 » by MagicFan101 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:07 pm

Conference tournaments and March Madness tend to be where I really begin to dive into the draft scouting — including going back and watching older games of key players people won’t shut about on here. Basically, once football calms down, I switch over.

So I while I can still watch a lot of early games I still feel like this is going to be a semi-blind draft for me.

Luckily, one popular name is Seminole who I have seen plenty of.
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#319 » by nicnac215 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:15 pm

We need to snatch up Jay Scrubb. Kid reminds me of Harden a bit. Uber talented and under rhe radar because he played juco ball. Whoever gets him will have the steal of the draft. I expect Miami or Toronto to get him.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#320 » by Bensational » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:31 pm

This draft will be all over the shop without the tournament to show how players fare on the big stage. It was already a wildcard draft, but now in expecting a lot more surprise players to show up from later picks because teams won't get to see the class in that standard.

Or has the NCAA got plans to run it later this year? I haven't kept up with them.

Return to Orlando Magic