ImageImageImage

2020 Offseason Strategy Thread

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#21 » by arkuo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:19 pm

dirkforpres wrote:Depending on how the rest of the season/postseason goes, I wonder if Cuban starts to reevaluate Rick Carlisle’s future with the team. I’m sure there would be a plethora of good coaching candidates lining up to coach Luka and KP.

As far as acquisitions, I think Dragic is the obvious free agent target. Not sure if the MLE is enough though, but a guy like Harry Giles would be a nice backup target IMO.

Trades- I would look into moving on from Wright and Powell if there is a market for them anywhere. A player like Gordon at PF would be a nice fit and Orlando might be willing to do it if we throw in our picks on draft night.... I’d also make calls on Bamba and Markkanen too. Guys the Mavs liked on draft night that haven’t panned out on their teams.. That’s who I want them to be circling.

Yeah. I'd like the Mavs to revisit that botched Aaron Gordon trade earlier during the deadline. They can restructure it so pieces can fit.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#22 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:54 pm

sign and trade Lee for Dragic
arkuo
General Manager

Post#23 » by arkuo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:39 pm

Dallas has to be opportunistic this summer. Certain situations might arise from conflict and Donnie has to be there the same way Porzingis fell into his lap after that New York brouhaha.

- John Collins stating his intentions for a max contract.
- Sixers about to implode soon with Elton Brand's job on the line.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 340

Post#24 » by Michaellam1987 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:16 pm

arkuo wrote:Dallas has to be opportunistic this summer. Certain situations might arise from conflict and Donnie has to be there the same way Porzingis fell into his lap after that New York brouhaha.

- John Collins stating his intentions for a max contract.
- Sixers about to implode soon with Elton Brand's job on the line.

We do not have enough assets to acquire player like Collins/Simmons/Embiid.......
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:44 pm

After wrestling with this a bit, I'm back to thinking Harkless or Crowder are the ideal targets this offseason. For the $9+ million MLE of course.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#26 » by arkuo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:24 pm

Said this a couple of months ago, I'll say it again. Christian Wood looks like a good pickup for PF/C. The kid looks like Nerlens Noel with a 3. Score a couple of high 20 and a 30 pt game before the NBA called to suspend games. He is earning the minimum now but is also UFA this summer. Would most likely start over Maxi here.

Watch him shut down Embiid and score 32 of his own. And he's only 24 years old. We should give Powell's contract to this guy TBH.

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:32 pm

arkuo wrote:Said this a couple of months ago, I'll say it again. Christian Wood looks like a good pickup for PF/C. The kid looks like Nerlens Noel with a 3. Score a couple of high 20 and a 30 pt game before the NBA called to suspend games. He is earning the minimum now but is also UFA this summer. Would most likely start over Maxi here.

Watch him shut down Embiid and score 32 of his own. And he's only 24 years old. We should give Powell's contract to this guy TBH.

I'd take him for sure, but I also think that the team's biggest need right now is to find a 3D wing. But Wood fits the timeline better than basically anyone else.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 830

Post#28 » by Teffer10 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:23 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
arkuo wrote:Said this a couple of months ago, I'll say it again. Christian Wood looks like a good pickup for PF/C. The kid looks like Nerlens Noel with a 3. Score a couple of high 20 and a 30 pt game before the NBA called to suspend games. He is earning the minimum now but is also UFA this summer. Would most likely start over Maxi here.

I'd take him for sure, but I also think that the team's biggest need right now is to find a 3D wing. But Wood fits the timeline better than basically anyone else.

I think the missing piece to this team is a legit 3D big wing.
A player like Marcus Morris would be a nice fit with this team imo considering KP will most likely be our center going forward.
Luka/THJ/DFS/?/KP
A better version of Maxi would be great.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,896

Post#29 » by HMFFL » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:21 pm

Christian Wood has more upside than Nerlens Noel. Nerlens Noel is only a defender and doesn't have the tools to score like Christian Wood does.

I'd like for us to pursue him as well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:15 am

Teffer10 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

I think the missing piece to this team is a legit 3D big wing.
A player like Marcus Morris would be a nice fit with this team imo considering KP will most likely be our center going forward.
Luka/THJ/DFS/?/KP
A better version of Maxi would be great.

An upgrade over DFS would be nice too. Heck, I'd take an upgrade over THJ as well.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:18 am

HMFFL wrote:

Christian Wood has more upside than Nerlens Noel. Nerlens Noel is only a defender and doesn't have the tools to score like Christian Wood does.

I'd like for us to pursue him as well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

You think the Mavs could play Wood, Kleber, and KP on the court at the same time? If not, then I do think that Wood can still help, it's just that his minutes would be limited in the sense that he'd be a part of the rotation like Powell was when he was healthy. He won't be a guy that will play 30+ every single night. That's kind of why I want Crowder, because I think he would be the type of guy that plays 30+ per night.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:28 pm

Do you all think Willie Cauley-Stein opts into his contract for next season (2020-21)? If he does, then do you think the Mavs will "reward" him for doing so by giving him an extension?

Personally, I don't think he does, but in the event that I am wrong, then I also do not think the Mavs will give him an extension, as it would cut into what they can do during the 2021 offseason.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#33 » by The Sparest » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:11 am

HairyGOATee wrote:Do you all think Willie Cauley-Stein opts into his contract for next season (2020-21)? If he does, then do you think the Mavs will "reward" him for doing so by giving him an extension?

Personally, I don't think he does, but in the event that I am wrong, then I also do not think the Mavs will give him an extension, as it would cut into what they can do during the 2021 offseason.

IIRC they could resign him without giving him guaranteed money beyond next season. Not sure he would go for it, but I guess it would depend on his other offers versus the Mavs offer. Personally, I would opt in if I was him. With the current crisis he could end up with a contract no better than his current one, and on a worse team.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:42 pm

The Sparest wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:Do you all think Willie Cauley-Stein opts into his contract for next season (2020-21)? If he does, then do you think the Mavs will "reward" him for doing so by giving him an extension?

IIRC they could resign him without giving him guaranteed money beyond next season. Not sure he would go for it, but I guess it would depend on his other offers versus the Mavs offer. Personally, I would opt in if I was him. With the current crisis he could end up with a contract no better than his current one, and on a worse team.

That's true, and with him being on a cheap contract, he could also be seen as a buy-out candidate who could then sign with another team to earn some extra cash.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#35 » by Teffer10 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:00 am

Mavs should draft Aaron Nesmith if he is healthy enough because he is the perfect fit for Carlisle’s system and then sign Marcus Morris and re-sign WCS.
Nesmith can flat out shoot with unlimited range and is a great defender. Perfect long-term backcourt mate for Luka and would immediately contribute off the bench.
Morris would be a great short-term 3/4 guy that could hang with some of the bigger 3/4 guys in the west.
Luka/Brunson/Curry
THJ/Curry/Nesmith
DFS/Nesmith/JJ
Morris/Maxi/Powell
KP/WCS/Powell
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 340

Post#36 » by Michaellam1987 » Sat May 2, 2020 9:49 am

Teffer10 wrote:Mavs should draft Aaron Nesmith if he is healthy enough because he is the perfect fit for Carlisle’s system and then sign Marcus Morris and re-sign WCS.
Nesmith can flat out shoot with unlimited range and is a great defender. Perfect long-term backcourt mate for Luka and would immediately contribute off the bench.
Morris would be a great short-term 3/4 guy that could hang with some of the bigger 3/4 guys in the west.
Luka/Brunson/Curry
THJ/Curry/Nesmith
DFS/Nesmith/JJ
Morris/Maxi/Powell
KP/WCS/Powell

Neamith is interesting, but not sure how is his defense as if he will still be available at #18
arkuo
General Manager

Post#37 » by arkuo » Sat May 2, 2020 3:31 pm

2020 - sign Derrick Jones Jr.
2021 - sign Josh Richardson

Run it back. Keep the core. The guys are having fun.

C- Porzingis / Powell
PF- Jones Jr / Kleber
SF- Richardson / Finney Smith
SG- Hardaway Jr / Curry
PG- Doncic / Brunson / Wright
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#38 » by Pointguard01 » Sun May 3, 2020 12:30 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:After wrestling with this a bit, I'm back to thinking Harkless or Crowder are the ideal targets this offseason. For the $9+ million MLE of course.

WHAT! This would be tragic if we signed Harkless. He's a 32% 3-point shooter that cannot create his own shot and doesn't roll to the rim. He's essentially DFS but will cost much more and we already have that role filled in the starting lineup. Off the bench, Kleber fills his role. No need. Crowder is similar in that he's best as a small ball 4 and I don't see the fit unless you think Hardaway can be our #3 guy.

arkuo wrote:2021 - sign Josh Richardson

LOVE this. He could be an ideal #3 guy and had at a price where we could keep also resign Hardaway. Almost an ideal signing in 2021. Would assume this year's 3-pt shooting is a result of Philly's lack of spacing and not what he was in Miami.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#39 » by ejs78 » Sun May 3, 2020 3:26 pm

Tankathon has Mavs taking Nesmith
http://www.tankathon.com/players/aaron-nesmith

Also as far as Wood goes I live in Detroit and while he has improved he still makes alot of mental errors. For me it always hard to gauge how good a player is who is putting up good numbers on a bad team.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#40 » by Teffer10 » Sun May 3, 2020 3:34 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:
LOVE this. He could be an ideal #3 guy and had at a price where we could keep also resign Hardaway. Almost an ideal signing in 2021. Would assume this year's 3-pt shooting is a result of Philly's lack of spacing and not what he was in Miami.

Richardson is the guy I've been clamoring for all year because he seems to be the perfect missing piece and is still young.
Luka/Richardson/THJ/DFS/KP would be pretty awesome and Kleber can always alter with DFS for teams with bigger PFs.

What would it take to get him though?

Would Seth/Jackson/#18/#31 be enough to entice Philly?

Return to Dallas Mavericks