ImageImageImageImageImage

Random Thoughts Thread Part 4

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#861 » by willbcocks » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:19 am

I don't post much here, but I feel compelled to share this message with everyone I know. Also, this is real f'ing personal for me. I work for the State Department. My family was evacuated from China. I volunteered to go into Wuhan and evacuate Americans out on flights in early February. I can't believe where America is now--it is beyond where China was where I left, it's where Italy was two weeks ago. I've seen our future, and I don't want to see our future if we don't change now. Anyone, here's my message:

All--we need to practice social distancing. Not the kind that's easy and feels like a joke. The kind we need we would have called extreme or even crazy two weeks ago.

We need to do this to flatten the virus curve (i.e., slow it down). This buys us time to beat the virus or at least care for those who receive it without needing to keep the sick and dying in hospital hallways waiting for beds and respirators to empty out.

What extreme social distancing means for everyone is different. But it shouldn't only be based on your personal risk, but on your means.

We are privileged, so our family, including a 2 and 4 year old, will not be going into the public. I will go out if needed for groceries and that's about it. On the weekends, maybe we'll drive to a park or forest where we're not in contact with anyone and the kids can run around. I am moving to full telework as soon Monday.

Others will not be as lucky. They will need to staff the grocery stores, clean the streets, deliver the mail, work a job they don't feel safe in to keep the electricity on. Those of us who don't need to do this have no excuse, and inaction now means many many more of our vulnerable die later.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#862 » by willbcocks » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:23 am

Also, everyone here who understands what's going on and especially anyone in a position of leadership has an obligation to try to convince everyone you know -- and have them convince everyone they know -- that we need to pull together and sacrifice for the greater good here. Ask others you agree OR disagree with to stop the partisan blame game and focus on solutions.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#863 » by LyricalRico » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:54 am

willbcocks wrote:I don't post much here, but I feel compelled to share this message with everyone I know. Also, this is real f'ing personal for me. I work for the State Department. My family was evacuated from China. I volunteered to go into Wuhan and evacuate Americans out on flights in early February. I can't believe where America is now--it is beyond where China was where I left, it's where Italy was two weeks ago. I've seen our future, and I don't want to see our future if we don't change now. Anyone, here's my message:

All--we need to practice social distancing. Not the kind that's easy and feels like a joke. The kind we need we would have called extreme or even crazy two weeks ago.

We need to do this to flatten the virus curve (i.e., slow it down). This buys us time to beat the virus or at least care for those who receive it without needing to keep the sick and dying in hospital hallways waiting for beds and respirators to empty out.

What extreme social distancing means for everyone is different. But it shouldn't only be based on your personal risk, but on your means.

We are privileged, so our family, including a 2 and 4 year old, will not be going into the public. I will go out if needed for groceries and that's about it. On the weekends, maybe we'll drive to a park or forest where we're not in contact with anyone and the kids can run around. I am moving to full telework as soon Monday.

Others will not be as lucky. They will need to staff the grocery stores, clean the streets, deliver the mail, work a job they don't feel safe in to keep the electricity on. Those of us who don't need to do this have no excuse, and inaction now means many many more of our vulnerable die later.

Welcome back to the board! Glad you and yours are safe, and definitely thanks for the perspective. I actually saw a news report about the tremendous risks to the homeless population from a health crisis like this, a group that many rarely think about. And with all of the impending school closings, what about poor kids whose only meals are the school breakfast/lunch? Wow this could really get ugly, especially if enough people get to the point of desperation because things drag out. All the more reason to follow the precautions so the curve flattens.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#864 » by gambitx777 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:25 am

As a health care worker. Masks will help if you're sick. It will help you not spread it. Only heavy duty N-95 masks that are used in health care, painting, and industry and other industrial grade resporators will help. The main thing is the country isn't going to grind to a hault. Don't panic. Mass gatherings are being canned because we need to slow the curve as to not over whelm the health Care system with 1. Million people sick at once in one city. If you're young and healthy be smart stay home if your arnt feeling well and avoid Lage scale contact and contact with at risk people. If you're at risk or over 60 , imunno suppressed , or have chronic respiratory illness, or are an older smoker. Be extra safe.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#865 » by Ruzious » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:32 pm

Read on Twitter

On one hand, only one of Gobert's teammates got it, but a kid most likely got it just from the contact of giving an autograph.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Earth2Ted
Junior
And1: 58

Post#866 » by Earth2Ted » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:42 pm

willbcocks wrote:I don't post much here, but I feel compelled to share this message with everyone I know. Also, this is real f'ing personal for me. I work for the State Department. My family was evacuated from China. I volunteered to go into Wuhan and evacuate Americans out on flights in early February. I can't believe where America is now--it is beyond where China was where I left, it's where Italy was two weeks ago. I've seen our future, and I don't want to see our future if we don't change now. Anyone, here's my message:

Thanks for this Will- it is always good to hear from you. This social distancing stuff is going to be very hard for us ugly Americans. And I’m saying this as somebody that’s very much on the spectrum myself and gets hives even thinking of going to a bar etc, it’s really going to mess up the routine for me and my family.

The irony is that China is turning the corner enough that their basketball league is calling their players under contract ie Jeremy Lin, Ty Lawson, Tyler Hansbrough back to China cause they think they’re good to start their season again.

And the crazy thing is - and correct me if I’m wrong - those guys are looking at a possible quarantine on arrival - because they’ve been HERE!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#867 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:19 pm

I'll get hammered for this, but... since it's only old people with other physical problems that are dying from this... should we think about just having them self-quarantine themselves until the virus runs its course - or until we have a vaccine? And return to business as usual for everyone else?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Post#868 » by BearlyBallin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:34 pm

Ruzious wrote:I'll get hammered for this, but... since it's only old people with other physical problems that are dying from this... should we think about just having them self-quarantine themselves until the virus runs its course - or until we have a vaccine? And return to business as usual for everyone else?

I don’t think it’s just those over 60, if I understand it correctly this can have serious consequences for anyone with diabetes, heart disease & respiratory disease, regardless of age. I also wonder what long term effect are of having Coronavirus even if you don’t die. My wife thinks she read something about those who recovered from it having scarred lungs.

I read last night these next two days are vital to flatting this curve, once the infected population reaches 1% it’s out there and the chances to stop this from growing rapidly is greatly diminished.

By the way using your measuring tool, McDonalds in Maryland close today at 5 pm. Along with all other restaurants in the state.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#869 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:37 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I'll get hammered for this, but... since it's only old people with other physical problems that are dying from this... should we think about just having them self-quarantine themselves until the virus runs its course - or until we have a vaccine? And return to business as usual for everyone else?

I don’t think it’s just those over 60, if I understand it correctly this can have serious consequences for anyone with diabetes, heart disease & respiratory disease, regardless of age. I also wonder what long term effect are of having Coronavirus even if you don’t die. My wife thinks she read something about those who recovered from it having scarred lungs.

I read last night these next two days are vital to flatting this curve, once the infected population reaches 1% it’s out there and the chances to stop this from growing rapidly is greatly diminished.

By the way using your measuring tool, McDonalds in Maryland close today at 5 pm. Along with all other restaurants in the state.

Thanks for not brutalizing me - I knew my question was silly. Wow, no fast food after 5 PM today in MD. No movie theaters. It's real.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#870 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:37 pm

Maybe not hammered as much as you thought, looks like the UK is already going in that direction:

https://www.businessinsider.com/people-over-70-in-uk-to-be-placed-in-quarantine-for-up-to-4-months-2020-3

People aged over 70 in Britain will be asked to stay in strict isolation at home or in care homes for up to 4 months under a radical new plan to prevent them from catching the coronavirus.

Asked to confirm an ITV report of the proposal, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said on Sunday: "That is in the action plan, yes."

"And we will be setting it out with more detail when it is the right time to do so because we absolutely appreciate that it is a very big ask of the elderly and the vulnerable, and it's for their own self-protection."

Hancock said the plan was a "very big ask" for older people, but said it was a measure for their own protection, and confirmed it would be introduced in the "coming weeks."

Wow...
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#871 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:44 pm

LyricalRico wrote:

Maybe not hammered as much as you thought, looks like the UK is already going in that direction:

https://www.businessinsider.com/people-over-70-in-uk-to-be-placed-in-quarantine-for-up-to-4-months-2020-3

People aged over 70 in Britain will be asked to stay in strict isolation at home or in care homes for up to 4 months under a radical new plan to prevent them from catching the coronavirus.

Asked to confirm an ITV report of the proposal, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said on Sunday: "That is in the action plan, yes."

"And we will be setting it out with more detail when it is the right time to do so because we absolutely appreciate that it is a very big ask of the elderly and the vulnerable, and it's for their own self-protection."

Hancock said the plan was a "very big ask" for older people, but said it was a measure for their own protection, and confirmed it would be introduced in the "coming weeks."

Wow...

Well, it's either that or shut down McDonalds.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#872 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:12 pm

Not business as usual but we should have done a certain amount of this from the outset, though it would have taken on a different form. The fallout from these kinds of things tends to fall on those without a political voice in the equation. The thing here is that it's more than just the elderly with pre-existing conditions requiring hospitalization and "elderly" can mean someone in their 50s who is working and productive - there are a rather big bunch of those. They should have been shutting down malls, bingo halls, religious gatherings, bars, restaurants, banning cruise ships and other pleasure travel, etc. I get the idea of children as carriers but that sort of stuff would have driven the point home way more and possibly been quite a bit more productive than closing schools, for example. Children don't vote, though, and parents with younger children aren't a huge voter base at any particularly time, either. Older people do vote so the actions to curb the spread that have a direct impact on them have been much muddier and slower to come out relative the probable impact.
Bucket! Bucket!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#873 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:00 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:

Thankfully, drive-thrus will be available - as well as carryouts in other restaurants.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Post#874 » by BearlyBallin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:54 pm

Ruzious wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:

Thanks for not brutalizing me - I knew my question was silly. Wow, no fast food after 5 PM today in MD. No movie theaters. It's real.

I’m a retired educator & I learned in my first year teaching that often the question unvoiced was the one that needed to be address the most. Usually because a significant number of students were wondering the same thing. And they were equally unwilling to voice the question due to concerns of being ridiculed.

Also thanks for the McDonalds drive thru tip. Good to know ;-) Lol
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#875 » by pancakes3 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:20 pm

friend after finding out that Idris Elba and Tormund from GoT tested positive: How are these celebs getting tested?
me: Step 1 - not be in the U.S.
Bullets -> Wizards
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#876 » by bsilver » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:54 am

The mortality rate rate for the 45-64 group is about .5%, but the statistics aren't all in yet obviously. There are about 80 million in that group in the US. If half got the virus, then 200,000 deaths.
I'm 70 and last week flew to Florida, went to last spring training game, etc. Now hunkered down at home. Amazing the change in attitudes in just 1 week.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#877 » by bsilver » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:00 am

Are Leonsis or any Wizards/Capitals donating money for workers at Capital One Arena? Was very impressed with Zion Williamson.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#878 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:20 am

bsilver wrote:

The mortality rate rate for the 45-64 group is about .5%, but the statistics aren't all in yet obviously. There are about 80 million in that group in the US. If half got the virus, then 200,000 deaths.
I'm 70 and last week flew to Florida, went to last spring training game, etc. Now hunkered down at home. Amazing the change in attitudes in just 1 week.

My parents are in their late 80's. One thing they won't do is change the way they shop. They literally might shop till they drop. They know the risks - nothing I say is going to change their minds. My Mom's already depressed - most of her activities have been shut down - nobody knows for how long.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#879 » by payitforward » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:28 am

Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#880 » by doclinkin » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:16 am

bsilver wrote:Are Leonsis or any Wizards/Capitals donating money for workers at Capital One Arena? Was very impressed with Zion Williamson.

Ted. Yes. The initial statement was that he’d pay their salaries through the month long shut down or whatever the initial announcement was. Not sure if he plans to do it for longer.

Return to Washington Wizards