ImageImageImage

Deni Avdija Full "UNGUARDABLE" 2019/20 Highlights ● The Next STAR!

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Draft2020
Freshman
And1: 53

Deni Avdija Full "UNGUARDABLE" 2019/20 Highlights ● The Next STAR! 

Post#1 » by Draft2020 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:35 pm

Hey Everyone, I'm a NBA fan from Europe and i want you to know about Deni Avdija - Top 3 Projected Pick In The 2020 NBA.
*i'm also new here (:

so in my opinion Deni NO DOUBT(!!) has a great potential to be an NBA star, he had a wonderful season and don't forget that like Luka he played until now in the Euroleague and not in college.

He has everything that good young prospect needs to have, he is very athletic and runs the floor like crazy. He is also a great floor manager and his passes are amazing. Believe me as someone that watched every game of him, he is the next thing.

I made a video of his best plays from the Euroleague (thes second best league in the world), so you can impressed, enjoy from it (:

By the way, Deni played in Maccabi with a lot of former NBA players like Amare Stoudemire, Omri Casspi, Quincy Acy, Tarik Black, Tyler Dorsey and Nate Wolters.

If you can help me and to share the video with other fans i will appracite it very much guys, thanks.
If you have any questions you can ask everything!
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: Deni Avdija Full "UNGUARDABLE" 2019/20 Highlights ● The Next STAR! 

Post#2 » by Pharaoh » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:27 pm

Dude is projected top 8 in this Draft...

Looking forward to watching this clip.

Seems the top 8 in some kind of order is:

Edwards, Wiseman, Deni, Ball, Toppin, Okoro, Okongwu and Hayes.

Think we can make a case for the Pistons to Draft any of them...

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#3 » by Pharaoh » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:13 pm

Nice clip you put together man.

Some constructive feedback:

Given what I've read and seen in other vids of him I'd prefer to see his passing and vision highlighted. Seems it's hard to find clips that focus on the other stuff but if you do it that'll be what sets you apart.

Dunks, 3s, runners, lay ups are nice some of the time but as with most clips there's so many 3s and dunks it gets a bit old after 3 minutes.

I have the exact same problem watching clips of Okoro and Okongwu or anyone else tbh - seems everyone wants to highlight athleticism & shooting as opposed to IQ.

Look up bballbreakdown on youtube and check some clips, especially the one showing Lebron "flexing" on the Clips and Bucks.

It highlights his brain just as much, if not more so than his shooting or athleticism

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,885

Post#4 » by tmorgan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:20 pm

What's interesting is that he looks very fast end-to-end, but not at all quick side-to-side. His dribble moves aren't getting him past anyone, so maybe he lacks a quick first step.

Good prospect anyway. Strong finisher, looks like a decent shooter (although it's a set shot), and certainly an athlete.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,596

Post#5 » by UcanUwill » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:30 am

Not sold on him, I had a very long post written about all European draft tendencies, mistakes that fans do overhyping when scouting, and my own mental exercise as Euroleague and NBA that I do to determine am I really high on an Euro draft prospect or not, but my browser shut down and that comment got lost.

Just want to point out that Luka Doncic was Euroleague MVP and Euroleague champion, Deni Avdija is 4 points per game scorer on a non contender team, he is more comparable to Mario Hezonja if you really want to compare young NBA draft prospect from Euroleague. Luka Doncic was so far ahead its not even funny.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#6 » by DBC10 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:03 pm

Yeah like the above post I see future Rio Hezonja who I really liked back then but we all know how that turned out.

Not convinced with this mystery euro guy. I'd trade down if he's available and some team comes clamoring for him to pick swap.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#7 » by Pharaoh » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:10 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Not sold on him, I had a very long post written about all European draft tendencies, mistakes that fans do overhyping when scouting, and my own mental exercise as Euroleague and NBA that I do to determine am I really high on an Euro draft prospect or not, but my browser shut down and that comment got lost.

Just want to point out that Luka Doncic was Euroleague MVP and Euroleague champion, Deni Avdija is 4 points per game scorer on a non contender team, he is more comparable to Mario Hezonja if you really want to compare young NBA draft prospect from Euroleague. Luka Doncic was so far ahead its not even funny.
Who's comparing him to Luka?

I saw one draft comp say he's Luka lite but that's like saying Rodney Stuckey was Wade lite and we all saw how that turned out

Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,672

Re: Deni Avdija Full 

Post#8 » by Invictus88 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:19 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Not sold on him, I had a very long post written about all European draft tendencies, mistakes that fans do overhyping when scouting, and my own mental exercise as Euroleague and NBA that I do to determine am I really high on an Euro draft prospect or not, but my browser shut down and that comment got lost.

I saw one draft comp say he's Luka lite but that's like saying Rodney Stuckey was Wade lite and we all saw how that turned out

I don't think there's really Luka hype in this thread but given the title lists him as 'Full "UNGUARDABLE"' and 'The Next Star' there is definitely a degree of overhype going on here.

It's easy to make someone look like a star in a highlight film. I cringed in the first 90 seconds of this one when I realized that it just kept showing the same 3 plays over and over and over in different angles. It's like watching a sports film where they clearly didn't take enough footage so they kept reusing the same plays in different parts of the game (e.g. Hoosiers).
Pharaoh
RealGM

Re: Deni Avdija Full 

Post#9 » by Pharaoh » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:20 am

Invictus88 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:

I don't think there's really Luka hype in this thread but given the title lists him as 'Full "UNGUARDABLE"' and 'The Next Star' there is definitely a degree of overhype going on here.

It's easy to make someone look like a star in a highlight film. I cringed in the first 90 seconds of this one when I realized that it just kept showing the same 3 plays over and over and over in different angles. It's like watching a sports film where they clearly didn't take enough footage so they kept reusing the same plays in different parts of the game (e.g. Hoosiers).
To be fair I did try to give this guy constructive feedback on his clip.

You see it all the time with highlights of draft prospects:

Dunks, 3s, runners and acrobatic lay ups.

Rarely do you see tape of "smart" plays...kind of bothers me.

UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#10 » by UcanUwill » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:42 am

Exactly, naming pretty weak highlight real unguardable, and posting it on several team forums, I think it can mislead people who know nothing about Euroleague. This guy is bench warmer and I almost never fond of idea wasting very high pick on Euro bench warmers. Fans always name lots of things these guys can do, but if they can do all these things, why are they behind irrelevant Euro vets on rotation chart? This is same mistake people made about Dragan Bender and Mario Hezonja.

This is a mistake fans make when scout watching particular player. If you zone in and watch any one player at this level, Euroleague or NBA, any player can look good and do little intangible things well. Thats how you come to conclusion that a player is better than he actually, you stop seeing the big picture. Right now this guy is a project, he is definitely not unguardable because he can dunk in transition.

This is defeinitely weak draft, but if you want to waste tank year on this guy with a top 5 pick, just know that its a major gamble, and you arent gettting NBA caliber player initially thats for sure.
Pistol King
Junior
And1: 456

Post#11 » by Pistol King » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:34 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Exactly, naming pretty weak highlight real unguardable, and posting it on several team forums, I think it can mislead people who know nothing about Euroleague. This guy is bench warmer and I almost never fond of idea wasting very high pick on Euro bench warmers. Fans always name lots of things these guys can do, but if they can do all these things, why are they behind irrelevant Euro vets on rotation chart? This is same mistake people made about Dragan Bender and Mario Hezonja.

This is a mistake fans make when scout watching particular player. If you zone in and watch any one player at this level, Euroleague or NBA, any player can look good and do little intangible things well. Thats how you come to conclusion that a player is better than he actually, you stop seeing the big picture. Right now this guy is a project, he is definitely not unguardable because he can dunk in transition.

This is defeinitely weak draft, but if you want to waste tank year on this guy with a top 5 pick, just know that its a major gamble, and you arent gettting NBA caliber player initially thats for sure.

First of all he's not a bench warmer, not in the Euroleague and not in the Israeli league.
In the Euroleague in his last 7 games when he started to get a bigger role he averaging 20 minutes per game (European are playing 40 minutes, not 48 minutes), which is a playing time of a starter. In the Israeli league he's playing 27 minutes, averaging 12.4 PPG in 38.8% from the 3PT, and 66.4% from 2PT, adding to that a 6.1 RPG and having the second best Plus/Minus on his team. All of that is when he needs to earn his minutes against professional players in one of the best rosters in Europe, while other top prospects doesn't have as nearly as tough competition for getting minutes or getting touches on the ball.

Let's take Lamelo for example, he's playing in the worst team in the NBL, a team who won just 5 games out of 28 and has no any pressure to win, to compete for earning minutes nor to play defense. Yet some guys complaining about Deni's numbers or playing background. This is behind any sense to me.

Second thing, Maccabi this year is definitely a contender. They has a 19-9 winning record, ranked at 4'th (tied with #5) and they beat at home 3 of all 4 top teams, including beating the 1# team. They has enough quality to beat any team in a series this year. They were in a position to end up with a home court advantage coming to the playoff, then the next level is a final 4 tournament. There is no series in the Euroleague finals but only a 2 games, semi-final and a final. Each team can beat the other in 1 game.

Third, he's only 19 years old in his first FULL senior Euroleague season. If you really expect him to be the leader of a top Euroleague team, with all the pressure to win that involved, with all the competition for minutes with top Euroleague players that got paid a lot of money to play a major role there, your expectations are not realistic. Doncic was exceptional in this regard and even Doncic got his huge role and his huge numbers just on his 3'rd senior season. Almost non of the European players who succeed in the NBA got major minutes in a contender Euroleague teams. He also won the MVP of the U-20 Fiba while leading his national team to the gold medal while he's the youngest ever to accomplish it. He also won the MVP of the basketball without borders camp. And after all of that background, he also has his great potential.

Bender was nowhere near Avdija in terms of minutes and stats. Both in the Euroleague and in the Israeli league.
Hezonja came to the NBA 1 year older than Deni expecting to come and didn't achieve what Deni achieved the same age.
But to be honest, I really think it's lazy to value a player by comparing him to other European players. We should value each player in his own depended on his skills, achievements and his potential. I did it just to put things in the right context.

Does it says I'm sure Deni will be a star? I really don't know, it's very hard to predict. But it will be also very arrogant to state he will not be. I think he has the potential, but sure he will have to improve some areas in his game.

But as for now, there are some guys in the upcoming draft with bigger question marks for me. Lamelo who's not play defense and is playing in really weak team, Wiseman who is a physical freak but lacks a lot of game aspects, Cole Anthony, halliburton,Okoro, Okongwu, Toppin, Hayes, literally every top prospect in this draft has a ton of question marks of whether he would translate his game to the next level or not, even Ant man who I consider as my 1# pick. So, comparing to the others, Deni is one of the safest top 5 picks to me.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#12 » by UcanUwill » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:52 pm

Pistol King wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Exactly, naming pretty weak highlight real unguardable, and posting it on several team forums, I think it can mislead people who know nothing about Euroleague. This guy is bench warmer and I almost never fond of idea wasting very high pick on Euro bench warmers. Fans always name lots of things these guys can do, but if they can do all these things, why are they behind irrelevant Euro vets on rotation chart? This is same mistake people made about Dragan Bender and Mario Hezonja.

First of all he's not a bench warmer, not in the Euroleague and not in the Israeli league.
In the Euroleague in his last 7 games when he started to get a bigger role he averaging 20 minutes per game (European are playing 40 minutes, not 48 minutes), which is a playing time of a starter. In the Israeli league he's playing 27 minutes, averaging 12.4 PPG in 38.8% from the 3PT, and 66.4% from 2PT, adding to that a 6.1 RPG and having the second best Plus/Minus on his team. All of that is when he needs to earn his minutes against professional players in one of the best rosters in Europe, while other top prospects doesn't have as nearly as tough competition for getting minutes or getting touches on the ball.

Let's take Lamelo for example, he's playing in the worst team in the NBL, a team who won just 5 games out of 28 and has no any pressure to win, to compete for earning minutes nor to play defense. Yet some guys complaining about Deni's numbers or playing background. This is behind any sense to me.

Second thing, Maccabi this year is definitely a contender. They has a 19-9 winning record, ranked at 4'th (tied with #5) and they beat at home 3 of all 4 top teams, including beating the 1# team. They has enough quality to beat any team in a series this year. They were in a position to end up with a home court advantage coming to the playoff, then the next level is a final 4 tournament. There is no series in the Euroleague finals but only a 2 games, semi-final and a final. Each team can beat the other in 1 game.

Third, he's only 19 years old in his first FULL senior Euroleague season. If you really expect him to be the leader of a top Euroleague team, with all the pressure to win that involved, with all the competition for minutes with top Euroleague players that got paid a lot of money to play a major role there, your expectations are not realistic. Doncic was exceptional in this regard and even Doncic got his huge role and his huge numbers just on his 3'rd senior season. Almost non of the European players who succeed in the NBA got major minutes in a contender Euroleague teams. He also won the MVP of the U-20 Fiba while leading his national team to the gold medal while he's the youngest ever to accomplish it. He also won the MVP of the basketball without borders camp. And after all of that background, he also has his great potential.

Bender was nowhere near Avdija in terms of minutes and stats. Both in the Euroleague and in the Israeli league.
Hezonja came to the NBA 1 year older than Deni expecting to come and didn't achieve what Deni achieved the same age.
But to be honest, I really think it's lazy to value a player by comparing him to other European players. We should value each player in his own depended on his skills, achievements and his potential. I did it just to put things in the right context.

Does it says I'm sure Deni will be a star? I really don't know, it's very hard to predict. But it will be also very arrogant to state he will not be. I think he has the potential, but sure he will have to improve some areas in his game.

But as for now, there are some guys in the upcoming draft with bigger question marks for me. Lamelo who's not play defense and is playing in really weak team, Wiseman who is a physical freak but lacks a lot of game aspects, Cole Anthony, halliburton,Okoro, Okongwu, Toppin, Hayes, literally every top prospect in this draft has a ton of question marks of whether he would translate his game to the next level or not, even Ant man who I consider as my 1# pick. So, comparing to the others, Deni is one of the safest top 5 picks to me.

This is a good comment, fair points, put me in my place. I dont really expect 19 year olds to be stars on Euroleague teams, but I do this exercise with Euro draft prospects. I look at them and think, would I be pumped if this young player would sign with my Euroleague team and be there for his entire career. If the answer is meh, then theres a problem. Most young players in Europe did had limited roles, but you can also see when they are outgrowing the competition, I think Valanciunas, Nurkic, Galinari and Bitadze last year showed that they will outgrow the level of competition, their talent level, even if not polished was above their superior teammates, if that makes sense to you. WIth Sekou last year and Avdija this year, I am seriously not seeing it. I think Avdija is better than Sekou, but I really wasnt a Sekou fan, and Pistons fans could enlight me what they think of him after this one year. I honestly like Zagars better, especially for this era. Zagars has Navarro, Jason Terry, Lou WIll written all over him, thats a valuable player in todays game, Avdija is just ok.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#13 » by El Chivo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:15 pm

Avdija is really really good. Not a franchise player of course, but a really good player. Maybe Gallinari 2.0.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,672

Post#14 » by Invictus88 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:16 pm

Pistol King wrote:Does it says I'm sure Deni will be a star? I really don't know, it's very hard to predict. But it will be also very arrogant to state he will not be. I think he has the potential, but sure he will have to improve some areas in his game.

It think this goes the other way as well though. I don't think there's enough information to really make any sort of declarative statement in either direction.

Definitely agreed that there are basically nothing but question marks in this year's draft. You almost might as well be throwing at a dartboard. Only in this draft there might not be any good numbers to land on.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,885

Post#15 » by tmorgan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:18 am

In this draft, he's a reasonable LATE lottery pick. Gamble, for sure, but strong physical talent at least. Might get Gallo, might get Hez. Definitely won't get Luka... but that's because Luka is a generational talent. Aiming that high is unfair.
TurboTitan
Starter
And1: 1,936

Post#16 » by TurboTitan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:47 pm

with all due respect, I want nothing to do with him, Im really not sold on him and everything about him screams bust, hope he proves me wrong tho, just not for the pistons
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 332

Post#17 » by Drwho17 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:02 pm

They need a guard with potential, preferably a PG, but if Edwards is there they need to take him and move on from Kennard.
SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#18 » by SamFlow » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:19 am

Drwho17 wrote:They need a guard with potential, preferably a PG, but if Edwards is there they need to take him and move on from Kennard.

I think Kennard goes to the suns for their 10 pick. We probably end up with Deni and Hayes. PG and SF. Try to sign Valvleet

Hayes
VanVleet
Deni
Sekou/Griffin
Wood.
BigDaddyJungle
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#19 » by Pharaoh » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:25 pm

If the Draft goes the same way DX has it in their latest Mock I'd happily trade Luke to Phoenix for Hayes.

Yes, DX has Hayes at #10.

They have us taking Okongwu at #5

Then retain Wood, upgrade Bone & Hall:

Wood, Okongwu
Blake, Hall
Sekou, Snell
Brown, Rose
Hayes, Bone

Let the kids play!

Can bring back the likes of Maker, Henson & Knight on 1 year deals to hit the salary floor.

Snell, Rose, Maker, Henson & Knight would all come off the books heading into 2021 free agency.

Core:

Wood
Okongwu
Sekou
Brown
Hayes
2021 Pick - hopefully a scoring wing
Bone
Hall
(Blake)

rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#20 » by rmfc » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:54 pm

Looks like Deni Avdija declared for the 2020 draft. Hope the Pistons get him.

Return to Detroit Pistons