OT: Correcting the record

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Re: Season Suspended: Hoiberg leaves Big Ten Tourney early due to illness 

Post#21 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:43 am

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:You know how the Aztec civilization was destroyed? Some dumbass went to work sick!

assuming we're talking history and not joking, 90% of the inhabitants of pre-Columbian America died from European germs.

Half joking half serious! You're correct it was the imported germs of the Spaniards that wiped them out. I ran a title insurance company 20 years ago and I told my employees, "If any of you people come into work sick and I get sick I'll fire you so fast you won't believe it!"

it's personal responsibility. If you're sick stay home.

One thing to remember is this coronavirus is not the black plague of the dark ages of some airborne ebola! The media has hyped this into a panic. The common cold is a coronavirus. This one attacks the cells in your lungs if you are a smoker or lung compromised you should worry.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#22 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:16 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:You know how the Aztec civilization was destroyed? Some dumbass went to work sick!

assuming we're talking history and not joking, 90% of the inhabitants of pre-Columbian America died from European germs.

Half joking half serious! You're correct it was the imported germs of the Spaniards that wiped them out. I ran a title insurance company 20 years ago and I told my employees, "If any of you people come into work sick and I get sick I'll fire you so fast you won't believe it!"

One thing to remember is this coronavirus is not the black plague of the dark ages of some airborne ebola! The media has hyped this into a panic. The common cold is a coronavirus. This one attacks the cells in your lungs if you are a smoker or lung compromised you should worry.

I wouldn’t say the media is responsible for hyping it up in a panic. The lack of any proper governmental response has probably done that. Simple basic steps taken weeks ago by a pandemic team (of which our government fired them years ago) would have made this as minor as the recent Ebola outbreak or H1N1. However, these major social distancing efforts are now necessary to keep our hospitals from getting absolutely overloaded all at once of, yes, the people that are at risk; elderly, immune compromised, and those with pre existing conditions. I saw someone did the math on Chicago. If the Mathematical rates of people who contract the virus need hospitalization (as we’ve seen elsewhere thus far), then we’ve got something like 4x as many people in Chicago alone who need Hospital beds than are available. A certain subset of the media made a frenzy a few years ago about “death panels” that never existed. Without some social distancing and actuallly impressing the need for it on people, we would have essentially de facto death panels because of a lack of proper governmental response.

Me? My son? My wife? We’re fine and likely will be. But my mother is in her 70’s. My neighbor is on oxygen already. The little girl down the street has had cancer in many forms since she was 2. They need our help. They need our vaccines. They need our “distancing”. Or else they die. That’s what this is all about. We’re not going to eliminate this Covid19. We just need to slow it down to a plateau where hospital beds will be available when they’re needed.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#23 » by Tom White » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:40 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
I wouldn’t say the media is responsible for hyping it up in a panic. The lack of any proper governmental response has probably done that. Simple basic steps taken weeks ago by a pandemic team (of which our government fired them years ago) would have made this as minor as the recent Ebola outbreak or H1N1. However, these major social distancing efforts are now necessary to keep our hospitals from getting absolutely overloaded all at once of, yes, the people that are at risk; elderly, immune compromised, and those with pre existing conditions. I saw someone did the math on Chicago. If the Mathematical rates of people who contract the virus need hospitalization (as we’ve seen elsewhere thus far), then we’ve got something like 4x as many people in Chicago alone who need Hospital beds than are available. A certain subset of the media made a frenzy a few years ago about “death panels” that never existed. Without some social distancing and actually impressing the need for it on people, we would have essentially de facto death panels because of a lack of proper governmental response.

Me? My son? My wife? We’re fine and likely will be. But my mother is in her 70’s. My neighbor is on oxygen already. The little girl down the street has had cancer in many forms since she was 2. They need our help. They need our vaccines. They need our “distancing”. Or else they die. That’s what this is all about. We’re not going to eliminate this Covid19. We just need to slow it down to a plateau where hospital beds will be available when they’re needed.

Great response. Simply "up-voting" this is not enough. And let's narrow this down a bit. It wasn't the generic "our government" who ended the pandemic team, it was Trump who decided to get rid of them. Also, the World Health Organization declaring this a world wide pandemic is certainly not "the media hyping this up".
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#24 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:41 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

I wouldn’t say the media is responsible for hyping it up in a panic. The lack of any proper governmental response has probably done that. Simple basic steps taken weeks ago by a pandemic team (of which our government fired them years ago) would have made this as minor as the recent Ebola outbreak or H1N1. However, these major social distancing efforts are now necessary to keep our hospitals from getting absolutely overloaded all at once of, yes, the people that are at risk; elderly, immune compromised, and those with pre existing conditions. I saw someone did the math on Chicago. If the Mathematical rates of people who contract the virus need hospitalization (as we’ve seen elsewhere thus far), then we’ve got something like 4x as many people in Chicago alone who need Hospital beds than are available. A certain subset of the media made a frenzy a few years ago about “death panels” that never existed. Without some social distancing and actuallly impressing the need for it on people, we would have essentially de facto death panels because of a lack of proper governmental response.

Make no mistake this virus came from communist China. If they had not covered up.and refused to admit that it was happening in November of 2019 the could have cut this thing off in the early stages. They allowed this to spread in Wuhan, then they allowed thousands of people to leave Wuhan and travel through out china, then get on planes and travel all over the world spreading it to nearly every corner of the world! They didn't admit there was a new virus until late December. Then they refused help to contain it from not only the U.S.but other world health organizations.

In 2009 H1N1 did kill more than 1000 Americans before the Govt did anything. No media hysterics, no stock markets crashing, no one pointing fingers and casting blame.

What we have now is a clown show that goes by the name national mass media. It's the dumbest held up as brilliant, the most perverse and debauched called the most virtuous! The Idiocracy is in full swing and the media is leading the way with lamp shades on their heads and their pants down around their ankles!
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#25 » by Tom White » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:01 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Make no mistake this virus came from communist China. If they had not covered up.and refused to admit that it was happening in November of 2019 the could have cut this thing off in the early stages. They allowed this to spread in Wuhan, then they allowed thousands of people to leave Wuhan and travel through out china, then get on planes and travel all over the world spreading it to nearly every corner of the world! They didn't admit there was a new virus until late December. Then they refused help to contain it from not only the U.S.but other world health organizations.

In 2009 H1N1 did kill more than 1000 Americans before the Govt did anything. No media hysterics, no stock markets crashing, no one pointing fingers and casting blame.

What we have now is a clown show that goes by the name national mass media. It's the dumbest held up as brilliant, the most perverse and debauched called the most virtuous! The Idiocracy is in full swing and the media is leading the way with lamp shades on their heads and their pants down around their ankles!

You've really drank the full pitcher of kool-aid there.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#26 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:27 am

Tom White wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

You've really drank the full pitcher of kool-aid there.

Dispute one thing I said!
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,277

Re: NBA Season Suspended: Indiana impacts 

Post#27 » by boomershadow » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:17 am

There are a lot of political implications to this whole pandemic, and I certainly have my own opinions on the matter. However, I don't think this is the place for all that. There are lots of other venues on the internet specifically for that subject.

I encourage everyone to be as safe as possible, to take all the precautions you can, and to stay educated and aware of what's going on. That's all I'm really going to say. Best of luck to everyone.

I miss basketball, the Pacers most of all. I truly hope all of this is over sooner rather later so we can get back to cheering on our players.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

OT: Correcting the record 

Post#28 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:16 am

In the now locked thread about the season being suspended there was an item of Fake News disseminated in this post by my friend Scoot McGroot. I feel a need to correct the record.

This may get me in some hot water but here's the quote.

Scoot McGroot wrote:

I wouldn’t say the media is responsible for hyping it up in a panic. The lack of any proper governmental response has probably done that. Simple basic steps taken weeks ago by a pandemic team (of which our government fired them years ago) would have made this as minor as the recent Ebola outbreak or H1N1.

In this Washington Post story Tim Morrison debunks this false accusation that has been spreading. I would like to see my good friend Scoot admit that he was duped by the Fake News of CNN and MSNBC.

By Tim Morrison
March 16, 2020 at 1:37 p.m. EDT

Tim Morrison is a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute and former senior director for counterproliferation and biodefense on the National Security Council.

President Trump gets his share of criticism — some warranted, much not. But recently the president’s critics have chosen curious ground to question his response to the coronavirus outbreak since it began spreading from Wuhan, China, in December.

It has been alleged by multiple officials of the Obama administration, including in The Post, that the president and his then-national security adviser, John Bolton, “dissolved the office” at the White House in charge of pandemic preparedness. Because I led the very directorate assigned that mission, the counterproliferation and biodefense office, for a year and then handed it off to another official who still holds the post, I know the charge is specious.

The reduction of force in the NSC has continued since I departed the White House. But it has left the biodefense staff unaffected — perhaps a recognition of the importance of that mission to the president, who, after all, in 2018 issued a presidential memorandum to finally create real accountability in the federal government’s expansive biodefense system.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/16/no-white-house-didnt-dissolve-its-pandemic-response-office/
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Re: OT: Correcting the record 

Post#29 » by Wizop » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:25 pm

Let's not get into political arguments here. I tend to agree with Scoot although I think while an earlier response would have been helpful the problem still would have been serious. I think everyone except perhaps Fox News (do I need to add and those who believe everything that appears there?) agrees that the President's early statements minimizing the coming problem were not helpful. I wish he'd just get out of the way and let the medical professionals tell the truth. today I read that Kushner is now being blamed for advising to treat the problem as a PR issue rather than a medical one. whether Trump was being dishonest or just engaging in wishful thinking is a topic for another venue.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#30 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:19 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:In the now locked thread about the season being suspended there was an item of Fake News disseminated in this post by my friend Scoot McGroot. I feel a need to correct the record.

This may get me in some hot water but here's the quote.

Scoot McGroot wrote:

I wouldn’t say the media is responsible for hyping it up in a panic. The lack of any proper governmental response has probably done that. Simple basic steps taken weeks ago by a pandemic team (of which our government fired them years ago) would have made this as minor as the recent Ebola outbreak or H1N1.

In this Washington Post story Tim Morrison debunks this false accusation that has been spreading. I would like to see my good friend Scoot admit that he was duped by the Fake News of CNN and MSNBC.

Sigh. As always happens, people rise up to try and defend him, and then Trump himself ends up admitting it a day later, or is documented having admitted it in 2018. Video of him specifically saying he fired them:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/coronavirus-video-trump-pandemic-team-cut-2018-a9405191.html

And how about the people that were actually on the team?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/nsc-pandemic-office-trump-closed/2020/03/13/a70de09c-6491-11ea-acca-80c22bbee96f_story.html
When President Trump took office in 2017, the White House’s National Security Council Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense survived the transition intact. Its mission was the same as when I was asked to lead the office, established after the Ebola epidemic of 2014: to do everything possible within the vast powers and resources of the U.S. government to prepare for the next disease outbreak and prevent it from becoming an epidemic or pandemic.

One year later, I was mystified when the White House dissolved the office, leaving the country less prepared for pandemics like covid-19.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2018/05/10/top-white-house-official-in-charge-of-pandemic-response-exits-abruptly/

The top White House official responsible for leading the U.S. response in the event of a deadly pandemic has left the administration, and the global health security team he oversaw has been disbanded under a reorganization by national security adviser John Bolton.

The abrupt departure of Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer from the National Security Council means no senior administration official is now focused solely on global health security. Ziemer’s departure, along with the breakup of his team, comes at a time when many experts say the country is already underprepared for the increasing risks of a pandemic or bioterrorism attack.

Ziemer’s last day was Tuesday, the same day a new Ebola outbreak was declared in Congo. He is not being replaced.

But listen, go ahead. Live your life. EVERYONE IS MAKING IT UP. In fact, it's so made up that Trump now claims to be the first to know it's a pandemic, and that he knew the entire time (spoiler, he didn't and spoke for months that it was fake). But sure, label some of the news sources that are actually reporting, actually questions, and investigating fake media. I assume you only get your news from "state media", aka Fox News?
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#31 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:08 pm

Facts are a tough task master!
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#32 » by Wizop » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to Indiana Pacers