RealGM
And1: 3,898

Re: The offense and what it's supposed to be 

Post#101 » by esqtvd » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:44 am

donemilio21 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:REGGIE JACKSON IN, RODNEY MCGRUDER TO THE BACK OF THE BENCH

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Shamet would average 20ppg if he were to play with Jokic at Center instead of Zubac. I'm glad Doc starting running plays for him inthe last few weeks.

LOL well, Jokic is quite the rare bird and it's not fair to compare anyone to him negatively. But add fellow offensive stiff Harkless to Zubac and it's a wonder we had a functioning offense at all. Pretty much it's been Kawhi in iso and it's hard to say there was a better alternative.

With his injury early on, there was never time to see where Sham fits with either the first OR second unit--and here we go away. Good of Doc to run some stuff to get him going, but Sham will be at best the 3rd option on either unit since KL, PG, Lou and Trezz--and now Morris--are proven 19 ppg NBA scorers.

Sham is going to have to invent his own role in the offense, and to his credit he really got back up to speed lately, blending in with whoever he finds himself on the floor with. If he finds himself on the 2nd unit as the SF, having a genuine PG in Reggie might be a real boon to his rhythm and his game.

Sham remains an x-factor for us, a rotation guy who can really step up and steal you a game. And as he's said himself, if he just remains a credible threat from 3, he's gonna space the floor for everybody else so they can get THEIR 20 ppg.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#102 » by donemilio21 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:42 am

esqtvd wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:REGGIE JACKSON IN, RODNEY MCGRUDER TO THE BACK OF THE BENCH

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Shamet would average 20ppg if he were to play with Jokic at Center instead of Zubac. I'm glad Doc starting running plays for him inthe last few weeks.

LOL well, Jokic is quite the rare bird and it's not fair to compare anyone to him negatively. But add fellow offensive stiff Harkless to Zubac and it's a wonder we had a functioning offense at all. Pretty much it's been Kawhi in iso and it's hard to say there was a better alternative.

I wasn't trying to put down Zubac. Just pointing out that I think Shamet is very talented and could drop that many points night after night in right situation without needing to dribble a whole a lot.
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 533

Post#103 » by Kelphus » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:33 pm

NippySudz wrote:
Clippers2020 wrote:
QRich3 wrote:I love the optimism, but winning a championship is gonna be hard enough with everyone healthy and playing at full potential. If one or more of our most important players in not healthy, chances will be slim to none.

I think sometimes people forget how difficult and epic is to manage to win a championship.

Okay forget a championship - because nobody can predict what would happen in 4 rounds of playoffs - but how about specifically a series versus the Lakers?
If Paul George was unavailable for a 7-game series with the Lakers, what do you think the outcome would be?
Without Paul George we still have enough scoring options to beat the Lakers, and we definitely have the defense, and Kawhi was always going to be the closer....
Who cares about the Lakers? we are trying to win a championship. The road to Larry may not even go through LaL

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Seriously???? Who other than our Clips is going to beat fLakers in a series?
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#104 » by NippySudz » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:36 pm

Kelphus wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
Clippers2020 wrote:Okay forget a championship - because nobody can predict what would happen in 4 rounds of playoffs - but how about specifically a series versus the Lakers?
If Paul George was unavailable for a 7-game series with the Lakers, what do you think the outcome would be?
Without Paul George we still have enough scoring options to beat the Lakers, and we definitely have the defense, and Kawhi was always going to be the closer....
Who cares about the Lakers? we are trying to win a championship. The road to Larry may not even go through LaL

Seriously???? Who other than our Clips is going to beat fLakers in a series?
You really don't think the east has a chance? I do in not underestimating any opponent

Clippers2020
Junior
And1: 177

Post#105 » by Clippers2020 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:51 pm

I remember John Paxson saying something like "We knew if we could just make it to the Finals, Michael would figure out a way to win it".
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#106 » by NippySudz » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:57 pm

Clippers2020 wrote:I remember John Paxson saying something like "We knew if we could just make it to the Finals, Michael would figure out a way to win it".
We don't have Jordan. I'm confident in kawhi but I don't like to underestimate opponents.

Kawhi would be a three time champ if he did not miss a free throw. He was young and not the guy then. Different animal now but I'm also worried about other teams no one is watching. Keeping an eye on Houston. too. I don't believe Denver is better than Houston despite the record.

esqtvd
RealGM

Post#107 » by esqtvd » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:20 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:Shamet would average 20ppg if he were to play with Jokic at Center instead of Zubac. I'm glad Doc starting running plays for him inthe last few weeks.

I wasn't trying to put down Zubac. Just pointing out that I think Shamet is very talented and could drop that many points night after night in right situation without needing to dribble a whole a lot.

Aside from the Planet Zubac people, what do we reasonably expect Zubac's ceiling to be? I'd be happy with something resembling DeAndre, who wasn't much of an asset to the passing game either. And I wasn't dogging Zubac either, just saying that a Jokic is a rare find and with our other financial commitments, it's unlikely we could ever fit one in under the salary cap anyway.

So I suppose there's a Promised Land out there for Shamet somewhere, but if you look around the league, 90% of the centers are more like Zubac. He's gonna have to tough it out and elbow his way into most any offense.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#108 » by Captain Ballmer » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:58 am

esqtvd wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Aside from the Planet Zubac people, what do we reasonably expect Zubac's ceiling to be? I'd be happy with something resembling DeAndre, who wasn't much of an asset to the passing game either. And I wasn't dogging Zubac either, just saying that a Jokic is a rare find and with our other financial commitments, it's unlikely we could ever fit one in under the salary cap anyway.

So I suppose there's a Promised Land out there for Shamet somewhere, but if you look around the league, 90% of the centers are more like Zubac. He's gonna have to tough it out and elbow his way into most any offense.

I don't know about 90% of the centers but the winning teams are playing less like with Zubac/Harrell types of centers. They use centers who can pass or shoot to stretch the floor for wings/guards.

Philly, Embiid-Horford
Raps, Siakam-Gasol
Bucks, Lopez
Indy, Sabonis-Turner
Miami, Bam-Olynyk
Boston, Theis
Lakers, Davis(They use him at 5 to close near games)
Nuggets, Jokic-Plumlee
Rockets, ??? They dont have C
Mavs, Zingis-Kleber

If you look at the top 6 of the each conference you will see the pattern. Only exceptions are Jazz(Gobert) and OKC(Noel-Adams) but they are where they are because their guards max. PNR threat of their bigs. (CP3-Shai-Dennis vs. Ingles-Conley-Mitchell)

We don't even have the guards consistently feed Centers in PnR, Kawhi-Lou does some but that's not their game. It's Ingles'-Conley's or CP3's bread and butter. Every possession Harrell or Zubac in the game means other 4 guys needs to sacrifice space to include them to the offense. There is a reason Lou-Kawhi and PG(top 3 iso guy) makes a lot of turnovers because lack of space and consistent Double teams in the paint. every single drive. Today Marcus Morris also included to those turnover machine guys during isolation.

If we manage to get a stretch big on the buyout season, it would work wonderfull for our main 4 perimeter iso scorers. I recommend you to watch tonights highlights in the 2nd quarter, Lou drives to the rim, defence(Bjelica) reacts to the paint and leave just 1 steps far from Jamaychal Green. The Result is a bang, Lou dishes for a 3 pointer.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#109 » by esqtvd » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:20 am

DieHardFan wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
donemilio21 wrote: I wasn't trying to put down Zubac. Just pointing out that I think Shamet is very talented and could drop that many points night after night in right situation without needing to dribble a whole a lot.

I don't know about 90% of the centers but the winning teams are playing less like with Zubac/Harrell types of centers. They use centers who can pass or shoot to stretch the floor for wings/guards.

Philly, Embiid-Horford
Raps, Siakam-Gasol
Bucks, Lopez
Indy, Sabonis-Turner
Miami, Bam-Olynyk
Boston, Theis
Lakers, Davis(They use him at 5 to close near games)
Nuggets, Jokic-Plumlee
Rockets, ??? They dont have C
Mavs, Zingis-Kleber

If you look at the top 6 of the each conference you will see the pattern. Only exceptions are Jazz(Gobert) and OKC(Noel-Adams) but they are where they are because their guards max. PNR threat of their bigs. (CP3-Shai-Dennis vs. Ingles-Conley-Mitchell)

We don't even have the guards consistently feed Centers in PnR, Kawhi-Lou does some but that's not their game. It's Ingles'-Conley's or CP3's bread and butter. Every possession Harrell or Zubac in the game means other 4 guys needs to sacrifice space to include them to the offense. There is a reason Lou-Kawhi and PG(top 3 iso guy) makes a lot of turnovers because lack of space and consistent Double teams in the paint. every single drive. Today Marcus Morris also included to those turnover machine guys during isolation.

If we manage to get a stretch big on the buyout season, it would work wonderfull for our main 4 perimeter iso scorers. I recommend you to watch tonights highlights in the 2nd quarter, Lou drives to the rim, defence(Bjelica) reacts to the paint and leave just 1 steps far from Jamaychal Green. The Result is a bang, Lou dishes for a 3 pointer.

I think you're right that Trezz and Zu could kick it back out more to the perimeter for the 3. But Zu doesn't see the ball much and it's understood then when they feed him, he should try to take it to the bank. And because of our injuries, Trezz is out there with the crap second unit and who the hell should he really be kicking it back out to besides Lou?

J-Myke has been shhitt, let's be honest. He got his money and now he shows up every other game or 3. If anybody should be scapegoated around here, it should be him. Huge disappointment.

As for Morris, he at least has an excuse. I think he'll big up for us when the time comes. With PG and Bev out, we don't even have an "in" he's supposed to fit into. He came here to be a role player but nobody knows what that role even is yet!

As for getting a stretch big, I'm all in favor but we gotta get one by March 1 or he's not eligible for the playoffs. A new NBA rule change, iirc, and a good one. Bringing in ringers after that was always bogus.
Clippers2020
Junior
And1: 177

Post#110 » by Clippers2020 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 5:32 am

Paul George has only attempted 13 field goals per game in the last 12 games that he's played.
With a team this deep, that is the way to go.
Chemistry has improved a lot with that compromise (and Paul George's 3pt% has also improved during those 12 games).
On the season overall Paul George is averaging 16.4 field goal attempts per game, and that isn't considered too much, but he's playing for an absurdly deep team.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#111 » by esqtvd » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:27 pm

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2020-03-17/can-clippers-still-be-a-contender-with-momentum-derailed

Since the league’s All-Star break, the Clippers own the NBA’s second-best offensive rating (117.3 points per 100 possessions). The Clippers grabbed the fourth-highest percentage of rebounds and committed the eighth-lowest percentage of turnovers since the mid-February break.

[Also] the fifth-best defensive rating (105.8 points allowed per 100 possessions). No other team ranked in the top five in both categories.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 990

Post#112 » by clipperlover » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:18 pm

esqtvd wrote:https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2020-03-17/can-clippers-still-be-a-contender-with-momentum-derailed

Since the league’s All-Star break, the Clippers own the NBA’s second-best offensive rating (117.3 points per 100 possessions). The Clippers grabbed the fourth-highest percentage of rebounds and committed the eighth-lowest percentage of turnovers since the mid-February break.

[Also] the fifth-best defensive rating (105.8 points allowed per 100 possessions). No other team ranked in the top five in both categories.

This break is going to make the Clippers much stronger. They are going to be in the lab tightening everything up.
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#113 » by Young Sterling » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:44 pm

Would you guys rather have Marcus Morris in the starting/closing lineups, or Landry Shamet? I honestly don't know, but I think we look better with Landry.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers