Semi-OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV (Must read Post 1)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,070

Semi-OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV (Must read Post 1) 

Post#1 » by Dirk » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:34 pm

These topics have generally had good discussion. But it must be stressed that this is a basketball forum. And 'mods' do not want to be banning users because of a very unique situation and discussion. It can't be that much to ask that those who want to discuss politics, go to the proper section.

This topic will not accept those who insist on bringing the level down by inviting side discussions about the names of the virus, the media, the left or the right and things of that nature.

---Users will be suspended. If you derail the topic and fail to respect the basics, we're still friends, but your account will be given a time off.

---Posts will be moved out. If your post disappeared, it means it was moved out to a restricted area so as to not bring the level of discussion down in the topic.

No questions asked. This will happen more frequently.

Please help the topic by ignoring/reporting posts that bring the level down. And of course, by being reasonable and understand that this is the BASKETBALL GB. It is not the place for you to conduct your political battles.

And please, no talk about "what mods should or shouldn't do". If you're in control and reasonable, you just PM mods if you have to with any questions. Don't clutter the topic with your lamentations please.

This is the spirit of this topic
Spoiler:
DaGawd wrote:I work for the public transportation system here in NYC. I'm a train conductor. A lot of my fellow CO workers including myself are furious at the lack of care for our health and safety exhibited by the governor and mayor. They're not even really addressing the transit workers in most of their press conferences. As of yesterday it was reported already 23 of us have tested positive for COVID19 which is probably a lot lower than what it actually is.. and that number will only grow..rapidly since we deal with the public in our everyday job duties. Yes ridership is way down since the pandemic, but the homeless are still riding these trains non stop as well as regular every day folk. My anxiety is at an all time high reporting to work these days not knowing if I'm coming home with something that could harm my family

Or

ThumbsUpBaby wrote:aa

This. I work at a farmers market. I've already caught a person purchasing rice 3 times in separate orders despite our restrictions. There are customers asking me why I don't have any rice and beans in stock, pretty much expecting me to put them in the bins out of thin air. These are the same hoarders who helped cause panic buying.

or
Ainosterhaspie wrote:Really frustrated at work right now. Just unbelievable failure to mitigate spread. If the virus is here, it's being given an empty multi-lane highway to spread.

I work at a courthouse. To enter the building have to open a door. Chance to spread. Then have to go through scanner usually putting all metal items in a bucket which isn't sanitized so more chance to spread. Then choice of elevator or stairs. Stairs all the way for me and fortunately I only have to go to second floor. But to get out of the stairwell, I have to open another door, so another chance to spread. Finally get to the courtroom and at least there I can open the door with my key without touching the door, though I suppose the key might pick up the virus.

Inside the courtroom numerous people in close proximity. Last week an interpreter with a cough was there. Yesterday a poor court reporter had a witness five feet away directly facing her sniffling and occasionally coughing. Then when the witness was done, she sat five feet away from me.

The hallway outside the courtroom is full of people in close proximity. To get to the bathroom I feel like I'm walking a gauntlet, or if I have it and am fortunate enough to be asymptomatic, I'm walking by several people I could be passing it to.

Back inside the courtroom, the desk where I sit has had three other people sit there as well. More chance for spread.

Some of this is difficult to prevent, but there is absolutely more that could and should be done. I mentioned some to the judge yesterday. The courtroom is big enough for people to spread out, we just have to change some conventions. But it's basically business as usual for now.

I don't think we should shut down. I deal with dependency where children are separated from parents and we can't just sit on that stuff indefinitely, but carrying on without sensible adjustments is not the way to go.

SimonFish wrote:
All of your points are spot on.

I personally live in Hong Kong. One thing I would like to add is that, prior to this week, the number of infection cases is rather steady (less than 10 cases per day). However, since early this week, many students who study abroad in western countries (mostly in the UK) came back, and the number of cases have since then rocketed (we had twenty something cases yesterday, and thirty cases this morning alone).

You know.

Real people. Real users. People we know from around the forum. Folks who probably haven't been engaging in political discussions before all this surreal experience.

This topic is not for redundant political discussions. Topic is for the virus and consequences on our lives.

We should be much much more interested in what our guy from Fresno is experiencing at the courhouse, what sort of diet Clipsfan is in, if Motownmadness's kids are still crapping all over the place, if chrismakayla (sp?) is still giving therapy to groups of 20-30.

We all have jobs, occupations, experiences, live in different parts of the US and have multiple users across the world, from Europe, to Asia and Australia. The wealth of information just off that is enormous.

Anyone who is seeking more heated discussions, go to the proper section, below.

Useful Links about the Virus:

CURRENT AFFAIRS BOARD:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=69
Go there if you are politically motivated. Want to dump tweets and engage in never ending back and forths about the media, the name of the virus, etc.

If you are a fresh new user and/or have no trajectory on the General Board prior to this topic, you should really not be posting here. This topic is not for the politically motivated. And there is no patience for those boring discussions.

Only discussions allowed here are the ones that organically belong to the current state of emergency.

These examples and others should be automatically reported:
Spoiler:
user wrote:Orange man’s (...)

asdsadas wrote: If it's something that you think only Hitler would be vile enough to do, fascist is the word.

yawns wrote:
whatever wrote:
Report this guy and everyone talking like him. I

Do you watch CNN, MSNBC & 'The View' daily?

Forget Kung-Flu, you need to get that TDS Virus checked.

Notes, v2:
Spoiler:
[spoiler]
--- NO discussion whether it was or wasn't called a hoax

--- NO discussion about whether it should or should not be called Chinese virus. You will not be allowed to use "Chinese virus" in this topic though (it derails topics and unless you're an idiot looking to do it on purpose you will refrain from baiting other users.)

See here, CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html
See here, White House https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/03.16.20_coronavirus-guidance_8.5x11_315PM.pdf

--- DON'T feed idiotic posts. I.e, "this is just a fabrication by the media". If you reply to that, mocking it, you are more to blame than the idiot. Just because someone writes something dumb. You don't get a free pass to mock and bait back. Those who have to read some of the resulting exchanges can feel their brain cells dying.

If you use the idiotic posts as an opportunity to enlighten them and the few that still think the same way, then that's welcomed. But generally --- ignore the dumb posts please.

--- DON'T use this topic to vent about internal politics. Don't re-hash the same debates that you have had over the last few years. If it isn't fresh and relevant to the current situation, just don't post.

If you need to vent, find some other avenue.

--- The dumb mano-a-mano battles over futile things have no place in this topic.

This has happened and will happen more often:
--- Suspensions
--- Entire non productive and derailing discussions moved out to sanitize the topic

Notes, v1:
Spoiler:
This thread is aimed at having an elevated discussion.

You can disagree. You can be sceptical. But please, make sure that you bring some substance so that the discussion can be productive. We should all be on the same side here. And particularly, we should appreciate how many users we have from all parts of the US and the world and have quick access to different experiences.

While a joke here and there shouldn't be a problem, please be mindful that topics such as these can quickly spiral out of control. So leave the jokes for other topics. Try to take this topic serious enough and respect everyone else, particularly those who clearly are taking the time to share good information.

- posting useful info and updates is greatly appreciated

- if you post data, please link to the source. Don't post unverified data.

- no talk about internal politics that are off topic, posts must be related to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak

- no cheap attacks on groups of users or people, no baiting, no derailing

- no conspiracy theories

- Users who just make low effort posts and bait others will be suspended

- Users who continuously derail discussion will be suspended

- Users who post fake data will be suspended

- Use the report button

- Do not quote and reply to obvious bad posts, that just derails a topic and brings the level down

Any questions, PM any mod.
60/21/10
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Re: Semi-OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV (Must read Post 1) 

Post#2 » by zimpy27 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:39 pm

The GOAT OP
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,216

Post#3 » by niQ » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:40 pm

Who would've thought that the place I get most of my COVID-19 updates/information was on a basketball forum.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#4 » by zimpy27 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:45 pm

I'm an Australian that lives in Santa Clara County. Mostly I still read the Australian news and I'm starting to get pretty worried about them over there.

Sydney and Melbourne are just hitting winter and flu season right when the peak of the coronavirus is mean to hit. Those cities have a pretty dry climate as well so they won't get any reprieve from high humidity.

From the looks of the news it doesn't appear like anyone really cares there. Anyone from Australia notice that it's quieter on the street and are people distancing properly?
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#5 » by niQ » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:53 pm

Guys, we may have a chance!

The top doctor in the US has called on Kylie Jenner and social-media influencers to help get young people to take the coronavirus pandemic seriously.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-surgeon-general-calls-on-kylie-jenner-influencers-millenials-teens-2020-3

Maybe this will finally get through to those 18-24 range.

They won't listen to the news, or medical professional's warnings... So the US Surgeon General plays his trap card... Kylie Jenner.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,888

Post#6 » by Sofia » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:00 pm

zimpy27 wrote:I'm an Australian that lives in Santa Clara County. Mostly I still read the Australian news and I'm starting to get pretty worried about them over there.

Sydney and Melbourne are just hitting winter and flu season right when the peak of the coronavirus is mean to hit. Those cities have a pretty dry climate as well so they won't get any reprieve from high humidity.

From the looks of the news it doesn't appear like anyone really cares there. Anyone from Australia notice that it's quieter on the street and are people distancing properly?

It is much quieter. ABC News is 24/7 corona channel, ministers and chief medical officers are being interviewed and giving press conferences all day every day.
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#7 » by niQ » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:01 pm

zimpy27 wrote:I'm an Australian that lives in Santa Clara County. Mostly I still read the Australian news and I'm starting to get pretty worried about them over there.

This was probably last week, but I remember seeing a friend's friend's IG story where they had a class cancelled, so instead, they went to a bar... :nonono:

From what I understand, schools haven't shut down completely there.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,365

Post#8 » by Ambrose » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:04 pm

niQ wrote:Guys, we may have a chance!

The top doctor in the US has called on Kylie Jenner and social-media influencers to help get young people to take the coronavirus pandemic seriously.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-surgeon-general-calls-on-kylie-jenner-influencers-millenials-teens-2020-3

They won't listen to the news, or medical professional's warnings... So the US Surgeon General plays his trap card... Kylie Jenner.

I'm not Gen Z but Kylie can get it

It's actually not a bad plan. For better or worse her influence is absolutely ridiculous.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,665

An Important Announcement 

Post#9 » by LordCovington33 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:04 pm

2020 Cancelled

After careful consideration, we have decided it is not in the best interests of everyone involved to proceed with 2020.

While we recognise that a lot of hard work has gone into preparing for 2020, if we’re honest, it has turned into a bit of a s?£%show and we feel it is best to just call it off.

We understand that some of you were looking forward to seeing what cruel and peculiar clusterf#%k 2020 would throw up next. But on balance we believe it is better to no find out.

We will instead provide ticket-holders with a full refund or an exchange, and start afresh with 2021 on Monday.

Our plan is to deliver a more enjoyable year.

See you next year.

Management
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,042

Post#10 » by ItsDanger » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:05 pm

Australians enjoying the beach. The combo of sea salt and ultra violet rays is probably a safer environment than other places. Summer is ending down there.

Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,627

Post#11 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:09 pm

Good write up on why free and widespread testing is the first real step to getting things under control:
https://medium.com/@yishan/free-widespread-testing-is-the-only-way-america-goes-back-to-normal-952ee9201dd
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,462

Re: An Important Announcement 

Post#12 » by Saint Lazarus » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:13 pm

LordCovington33 wrote:2020 Cancelled

After careful consideration, we have decided it is not in the best interests of everyone involved to proceed with 2020.

While we recognise that a lot of hard work has gone into preparing for 2020, if we’re honest, it has turned into a bit of a s?£%show and we feel it is best to just call it off.

We understand that some of you were looking forward to seeing what cruel and peculiar clusterf#%k 2020 would throw up next. But on balance we believe it is better to no find out.

We will instead provide ticket-holders with a full refund or an exchange, and start afresh with 2021 on Monday.

See you next year.

Management

How's the self-quarantine going :wink:
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,042

Post#13 » by ItsDanger » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:13 pm

Not sure if posted already. German doctor speaking about the need to keep this in context. Subtitles for non-Germans. Many deaths of seniors over the years that are not fully diagnosed (respiratory failure, cardiac issue). How many were some virus/flu variant that pushed them over the edge? Anyone who has handled seniors in their own circles can speak to this.

Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant

Re: An Important Announcement 

Post#14 » by LordCovington33 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:15 pm

Saint Lazarus wrote:
LordCovington33 wrote:2020 Cancelled

See you next year.

Management

How's the self-quarantine going :wink:

It won’t start for me until March 26. I am hoping my plane doesn’t get cancelled in the meantime.
Kordic27
Analyst
And1: 3,288

Post#15 » by Kordic27 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:18 pm

Ambrose wrote:
niQ wrote:Guys, we may have a chance!

I'm not Gen Z but Kylie can get it

It's actually not a bad plan. For better or worse her influence is absolutely ridiculous.

This is why I gained a ton of respect for KD and Smart (etc)... they came out, said they had it, showed that anyone could get it, and implored people to take the necessary steps. Real selfless of them and they deserve kudos.
Trusted Ujiri Watcher
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,405

Post#16 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:20 pm

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973

I found this study extremely informative, the summary is very short and to the point (not tons of jargon). Details how long the virus lasts in the air and on different surfaces. Good info for those with compromised immune systems, or people delivering to those at risk.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by LordCovington33 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:21 pm

Sofia wrote:

It is much quieter. ABC News is 24/7 corona channel, ministers and chief medical officers are being interviewed and giving press conferences all day every day.

The government will be introducing further restrictions like indoor venues need to provide 4m square for each patron.
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,966

Post#18 » by Liam_Gallagher » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:25 pm

PROTECT LEBRON.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,592

Post#19 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:32 pm

Read on Twitter

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using RealGM Forums mobile app
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,592

Post#20 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:33 pm

Read on Twitter

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using RealGM Forums mobile app
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.

Return to The General Board