Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#61 » by Foshan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:01 am

76ciology wrote:
Foshan wrote:It is nice to see some common sense in this thread :)

Love the comments on personal responsibility, and looking to show kindness to people around you, seriously, do a grocery run for an old person.

Worst case you voluntarily choose to restrain what you 'could be doing' for a couple weeks, and we look back and say, look nothing happened. That would actually be a best case scenario for us as a nation. I've got some friends in the Europe (Italy)/UK, everyone is pretty legit worried about losing older family members.

Do you guys believe that the Corona Virus started from the US? Fort Detrick? I think there’s a chance it’s true but there are a LOT of pieces in the puzzle for it to be conclusive.

It is definitely floating around social media here, but just like in the US, being on Social Media has no bearing on the amount of truth in a statement. :(

With so many people looking to deflect blame for how their respective countries are handling things, and all the financial damage done by this, I think there will be lots more conspiracy stuff before this is all over.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#62 » by rzzzzz » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:29 pm

i'm a big time conspiracy fan, but the scientists are pretty consistent about this kind of virus being caused by animal to human transmission, and it surely looks like it came out of a marketplace in Wuhan. (i will say, this does look like another strong reason to consider going vegan. them impossible burgers are real good.)
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,536

Post#63 » by 76ciology » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:22 pm

rzzzzz wrote:i'm a big time conspiracy fan, but the scientists are pretty consistent about this kind of virus being caused by animal to human transmission, and it surely looks like it came out of a marketplace in Wuhan. (i will say, this does look like another strong reason to consider going vegan. them impossible burgers are real good.)

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,828

Post#64 » by XtremeDunkz » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:47 pm

rzzzzz wrote:i'm a big time conspiracy fan, but the scientists are pretty consistent about this kind of virus being caused by animal to human transmission, and it surely looks like it came out of a marketplace in Wuhan. (i will say, this does look like another strong reason to consider going vegan. them impossible burgers are real good.)

ill go Vegan when im dead.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#65 » by sixers hoops » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:03 am

Foshan wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
Foshan wrote:It is nice to see some common sense in this thread :)

Love the comments on personal responsibility, and looking to show kindness to people around you, seriously, do a grocery run for an old person.

Worst case you voluntarily choose to restrain what you 'could be doing' for a couple weeks, and we look back and say, look nothing happened. That would actually be a best case scenario for us as a nation. I've got some friends in the Europe (Italy)/UK, everyone is pretty legit worried about losing older family members.

Is China reopening schools? And are they predicting an uptick in active cases as a result?

They have just started in the far west (where there are way less people), it is also an area that (again due to size) was much less hit with cases. I believe they started high school students first, because they have important testing to do (all of Chinese education is built on tests :( )

Anyway, where I am (NE coast), they are talking Mid April best case, Early May worse case for school. Lots of businesses are starting to get back to normal, but a HUGE portion of the population is still in the places that they traveled to for CN New Year. So they will probably give the go ahead for everyone to head back, and then have a waiting period, and then restart. The big thing now is that foreigners (and CN who left the country at the start of this) are all headed back to China now, causing a huge fear of new cases. So people returning home from hometowns or foreign locations is driving the rebound fear. Also, the vast majority of CN kids are taken care of by their grandparents at home (not 100% but a lot), so keeping the kids home, actually keeps the old people home. When school begins, all the old people walk their kids to school and pick them up. So by keeping the kids home, they are also keeping the most 'in-dangered' people group indoors. Not sure if that has anything to do with their decision, but its an observable bonus.

Yeah, early data shows countries are seeing increases in new cases for 3-4 weeks, then through social distancing and testing can get them <100 new cases per day. However, when society lifts restrictions, it will be interesting to see if the second wave is within the limits of what the hospital systems can handle, or will countries be inclined to shutdown society a second time.

China has 1.5 billion people, but only 80 thousand confirmed positive. That leaves a lot of people who haven’t even had the virus. Until a vaccine is readily available, the potential for multiple waves that could overwhelm hospitals and force multiple societal shutdowns seems a real possibility.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#66 » by Foshan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:04 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
Foshan wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
Is China reopening schools? And are they predicting an uptick in active cases as a result?

They have just started in the far west (where there are way less people), it is also an area that (again due to size) was much less hit with cases. I believe they started high school students first, because they have important testing to do (all of Chinese education is built on tests :( )

Anyway, where I am (NE coast), they are talking Mid April best case, Early May worse case for school. Lots of businesses are starting to get back to normal, but a HUGE portion of the population is still in the places that they traveled to for CN New Year. So they will probably give the go ahead for everyone to head back, and then have a waiting period, and then restart. The big thing now is that foreigners (and CN who left the country at the start of this) are all headed back to China now, causing a huge fear of new cases. So people returning home from hometowns or foreign locations is driving the rebound fear. Also, the vast majority of CN kids are taken care of by their grandparents at home (not 100% but a lot), so keeping the kids home, actually keeps the old people home. When school begins, all the old people walk their kids to school and pick them up. So by keeping the kids home, they are also keeping the most 'in-dangered' people group indoors. Not sure if that has anything to do with their decision, but its an observable bonus.

Yeah, early data shows countries are seeing increases in new cases for 3-4 weeks, then through social distancing and testing can get them <100 new cases per day. However, when society lifts restrictions, it will be interesting to see if the second wave is within the limits of what the hospital systems can handle, or will countries be inclined to shutdown society a second time.

China has 1.5 billion people, but only 80 thousand confirmed positive. That leaves a lot of people who haven’t even had the virus. Until a vaccine is readily available, the potential for multiple waves that could overwhelm hospitals and force multiple societal shutdowns seems a real possibility.

I don't think it will be too bad here. They are fiercely hunting down anyone with symptoms, and it is a royal pain getting into the country, incredible follow up. I've been asked by my boss not to even talk about the details because of how sensitive things are here.

The gov action here seemed way overblown here, and as a result, the total number of cases (considering population) in most places outside of the epicenter were not bad at all. Its kind of the opposite of the way the rest of the world has reacted, for better or worse.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,073

Post#67 » by Embiid P » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:30 pm

phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,741

Post#68 » by phillynative » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:38 pm

They are not clarifying if it was players or not
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#69 » by Foshan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:39 am

phillynative wrote:They are not clarifying if it was players or not

I think it would actually be better if it were players, as they are probably much more healthy than the average secretary or janitor (or whoever), in terms of making a full recovery. It also would make for an easier source trace (Detroit game).

On a side note, this is another significant difference with how the virus has been handled in CN, Kor, Japan, is that these places did a quarantine of possible contacts, and tracing movements, two examples of text messages that I got early in the virus time here (these are summations not quotes):

First message: Since the outbreak of the disease, we have classified all the peoples in China in 4 categories:
People A: People who have been diagnosed with positive cases of the virus since the break out (know carriers), and the people they came into contact within 10 days of coming to the hospital.
People B: 5 million people who left W.Han after the virus break out.
People C: People who came into contact with the 5 million travelers.
People D: People who have not been exposed.
We (the gov.) have identified and quarantined all of People A and B. However, we don't know who is C vs who is D. Please stay home quarantined for two weeks, and assure yourself that you are People D.

Another message: A passenger who has now been diagnosed with the virus rode the subway from Stop A to Stop D at 2:35 in car ###. There were 14 people in the car with them. If you are one of those 14 people, please self quarantine, and call the hospital or police if you are feeling ill.

These types of messages came often.

It seems most of the western world has given up on trying to trace the source of peoples infection (or actually enforcing quarantines). No one has quite the survelliance like CN to do the first... but I think it would be great if some of the huge numbers of out of work people were put on tasks of helping people stay accountable for quarintines (especially those that are diagnoised but are healthy enough to go back home).
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#70 » by Simmons25 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:23 am

Better not be Joel. He has the respiratory system of a 78 year old chain smoker.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#71 » by 76ciology » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:14 am

https://patents.google.com/patent/US10130701B2/en

Is this the same corona virus right now?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
SexDrugsPnR
Bench Warmer
And1: 724

Post#72 » by SexDrugsPnR » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:43 am

76ciology wrote:https://patents.google.com/patent/US10130701B2/en

yes. you found on google patents what scientists and doctors around the globe have been researching for months.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#73 » by 76ciology » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:00 pm

SexDrugsPnR wrote:
76ciology wrote:https://patents.google.com/patent/US10130701B2/en

yes. you found on google patents what scientists and doctors around the globe have been researching for months.

Yeah. Just bored.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#74 » by kuclas » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:48 pm

Simmons25 wrote:Better not be Joel. He has the respiratory system of a 78 year old chain smoker.

Embiid was guarded by wood a lot? If so. He probably has it knowing his luck.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Post#75 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:24 am

Hope everyone on here is holding it down. Such weird times....I've fought with many of you on here, but know that I would never wish anyone personal harm. Hope ya'll are doing ok.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#76 » by 76ciology » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:48 am

We’re undefeated since the lockdown. You still want to fire Brett?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#77 » by 76ciology » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:52 am

So what do you guys doing right now in this lockdown?

My routine has been working from home in the morning. Playing games until the sun is about to set. Then I have a 30 mins Sunset jog. Dinner. Play games again. Watch netflix.

I dream about this life before but now i hate it. :lol:
Hope everything goes back to normal soon!
76ciology
RealGM

Post#78 » by 76ciology » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:55 am

What are the books or shows that you are watching during this lockdown?

This year I’ve read Jordan Peterson’s 12 rules of life, Ryan Holiday’s Stillness is the Key and right now I’m trying to finish Robert Greene’s 33 Strategies of War.

For tv series, I like “Unauthorized Living”, a spanish Tv Series named “Vivin Sin Permiso”. Maybe after this I’ll watch “The Kingdom” a Korean Tv series. Lol
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#79 » by Sixerscan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:03 pm

Foshan wrote:
phillynative wrote:They are not clarifying if it was players or not

I think it would actually be better if it were players, as they are probably much more healthy than the average secretary or janitor (or whoever), in terms of making a full recovery. It also would make for an easier source trace (Detroit game).

On a side note, this is another significant difference with how the virus has been handled in CN, Kor, Japan, is that these places did a quarantine of possible contacts, and tracing movements, two examples of text messages that I got early in the virus time here (these are summations not quotes):

First message: Since the outbreak of the disease, we have classified all the peoples in China in 4 categories:
People A: People who have been diagnosed with positive cases of the virus since the break out (know carriers), and the people they came into contact within 10 days of coming to the hospital.
People B: 5 million people who left W.Han after the virus break out.
People C: People who came into contact with the 5 million travelers.
People D: People who have not been exposed.
We (the gov.) have identified and quarantined all of People A and B. However, we don't know who is C vs who is D. Please stay home quarantined for two weeks, and assure yourself that you are People D.

Another message: A passenger who has now been diagnosed with the virus rode the subway from Stop A to Stop D at 2:35 in car ###. There were 14 people in the car with them. If you are one of those 14 people, please self quarantine, and call the hospital or police if you are feeling ill.

These types of messages came often.

It seems most of the western world has given up on trying to trace the source of peoples infection (or actually enforcing quarantines). No one has quite the survelliance like CN to do the first... but I think it would be great if some of the huge numbers of out of work people were put on tasks of helping people stay accountable for quarintines (especially those that are diagnoised but are healthy enough to go back home).

Freedom of movement is such a foundational aspect of Western Democracies that I don't think that the government trying to actively enforce it against people that aren't showing symptoms would be effective or end well. Has to come down to people deciding for themselves it is the best course of action.

Tracking the source and publicly reporting it seems like it might be a more effective strategy though. If in a city like New York or Philly they could report that a person took X, Y, Z train or bus and visited A, B, C stores in the last few weeks it could give people more understanding of how high the risk is.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Post#80 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:49 pm

76ciology wrote:So what do you guys doing right now in this lockdown?

My routine has been working from home in the morning. Playing games until the sun is about to set. Then I have a 30 mins Sunset jog. Dinner. Play games again. Watch netflix.

I dream about this life before but now i hate it. :lol:
Hope everything goes back to normal soon!

I'm self employed and run a small masonry business. I'm building a foundation in the smoky mountains of Tennessee right now. It's kind of nice, nobody is bothering us, no tourists, and nobody has told me to shut it down yet so i'm continuing onward. :lol:

Return to Philadelphia 76ers