ImageImageImage

Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion.

Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#81 » by Stillwater » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:07 am

4 potential top 10 picks in the USC vs Arizona game that just tipped... This where Altman should be not picking his coronavirus mask overseas.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#82 » by Stillwater » Fri Mar 6, 2020 3:29 am

Pre tournament
Top prospect big board for CLE imo:
Overall:
Wiseman/Okongwu toss up for 1 or 2 spot
3/4 Vassell / Toppin
5/6 Edwards / Stewart
7 /8 Okoro/ Green
9/10 Ramsey/Nolly
11-20 with potential to move into their top 10 in no order
Achiuwa
Agbaji
Saddiq Bey
D.Avdija
Ball
JSmith
Mcdaniels
Lewis
Nesmith
Hayes
Days
Sleepers at 10
Weems
Butler
Quickly
Less likely targets in top 10
Hampton,Anthony,,Haliburton,Mannion, Watford , Maledon,Dosumnu,Carey, Stanley etc.

Wildcards if pick up a early second Patrick Williams,Oturo,Nnaji,Reed,Hughes,Fitts, Scrubb, Petreusev,Tyler Bey,Pritchard,Forest, Gillespie and Tyshon Alexander.
Mind_Odyssey
Analyst
And1: 4,957

Post#83 » by Mind_Odyssey » Sun Mar 8, 2020 3:20 am

This draft class is awful.

We are better off just drafting a big and hoping he becomes something. I’d be cool with Isaac Okworo.

Toppin will get hyped, but he is Derrick Williams to me.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#84 » by Stillwater » Sun Mar 8, 2020 2:32 pm

Toppin might seem overhyped playing for Dayton so yeah his stock will suffer but he's been pretty dominant where he should stay high on boards.
Okoro is interesting but really a pretty terrible shooter and doesn't fit at all unless they love his upside.
Okongwu might be redundant with Nance here but right now he's gotta be in their top 3.
I don't see Edwards being as high on most boards come draft day compared to top 3 projections but because he is a solid 2 way player and there are no clear top tier options he could go 1 still.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#85 » by Stillwater » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:12 am

So with college tournament and everything left of the competition scouting over ... I think it's reasonable to start seeing some early pre draft workout clips showing up. Most of the top tier prospects have a fair body of work and so it's not that big a deal , but some of the ones that had meh production could be hurt by not being able to showcase on a bigger stage.
I still like Wiseman quite a bit in top 5 despite the small sample. I mean the sample was near elite.
But I also think some like Edwards despite his NBA ready game didn't shoot a high % and really looked more like a top 10 lock as opposed to a top 3 lock.
I like what I saw from Ramsey but he's a bit of a in between position prospect so it makes less sense for fit without more answers about Garland.
I'd be fine with either though and Edwards is a decent value option at 5 if Okongwu and Stewart are unavailable when they pick.
Some sleepers for me are Sadiq Bey although I'm not sold he has much upside just a high floor, Okoro if he can prove to be a better shooter by the draft, Nolly if question about his bb iq come back positive, also think Jalen Smith or Toppin could be really solid pick ups despite neither having elite upside.
Right now my favorite 2 way prospect for fit is D.Vassell With Scottie Lewis , Ochai Agbaji and probably some other sleeper as a option 7-10
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,913

Post#86 » by tundraknight » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:39 pm

I guess it’s still too early to get any confirmation but I’ve been wondering if the Cavaliers officially locked up the #2 spot on nbatankathon, or if the NBA will eventually finish the last 17 games of the regular season, even if it’s several months from now.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#87 » by JonFromVA » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:53 pm

tundraknight wrote:I guess it’s still too early to get any confirmation but I’ve been wondering if the Cavaliers officially locked up the #2 spot on nbatankathon, or if the NBA will eventually finish the last 17 games of the regular season, even if it’s several months from now.

Who knows ... they could cancel the entire season and just assign even odds to the entire league to "spice things up".
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#88 » by Revenged25 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:24 pm

tundraknight wrote:I guess it’s still too early to get any confirmation but I’ve been wondering if the Cavaliers officially locked up the #2 spot on nbatankathon, or if the NBA will eventually finish the last 17 games of the regular season, even if it’s several months from now.

If they cancel the regular season and just use current standings for Playoffs, then yes. But I heard that a discussion that went on is that they might play 7-8 games still prior to the playoffs to get the players back in shape if they decide to start back up.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#89 » by Stillwater » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:05 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

Who knows ... they could cancel the entire season and just assign even odds to the entire league to "spice things up".

wouldn't surprise me if they play no more games considered regular season and then had even odds for all non playoff teams which would amount to 22 teams in the lottery ....assuming they only play a highly shortened playoffs with top 8 teams which does equal 4 from each conference. In a early elimination round based on record for seeding so start with 4 games with 4 teams emerging victorious and then game seeding by random drawing for a best of 3 series to determine the finals match up which will then be a tradition best of 7.
Reality is they will try to make sweeping changes to the league schedule, the entire season is getting pushed way back, and the draft may happen before the season ends.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#90 » by Stillwater » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:37 am

Fedor reporting Cavs interested in Avdija and Okongwu , but I am guessing he is just hard up for material right now , I mean despite that obviously being a true statement at some point that they have had interest in times prior to Altman going over seas and prior to being spotted at a USC game , there is no such proof they have any interest after said scouting trips.
I would guess they are still interested just not to the extent Fedor portrays them to be.
I think Avdija is an interesting option late lottery no doubt depending on who is left available, and I would take Okongwu top 5 probably if it's true he can shoot it a lot better than he showed in college primarily camping out near the basket.
I would not think Avdija is a top 6 option and definitely not in top 3 where they will hopefully be picking.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#91 » by Revenged25 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:08 am

Stillwater wrote:Fedor reporting Cavs interested in Avdija and Okongwu , but I am guessing he is just hard up for material right now , I mean despite that obviously being a true statement at some point that they have had interest in times prior to Altman going over seas and prior to being spotted at a USC game , there is no such proof they have any interest after said scouting trips.
I would guess they are still interested just not to the extent Fedor portrays them to be.
I think Avdija is an interesting option late lottery no doubt depending on who is left available, and I would take Okongwu top 5 probably if it's true he can shoot it a lot better than he showed in college primarily camping out near the basket.
I would not think Avdija is a top 6 option and definitely not in top 3 where they will hopefully be picking.

I put Deni in the gaggle of prospects after Edwards, Ball, and Wiseman in this draft. After those 3 it's anyone's guess who will be what. If the Cavs can't get Wiseman in the top 3 I'd trade back with a team wanting Ball/Edwards and draft Deni personally. I think his floor is a better Cedi with a ceiling much much higher.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#92 » by Stillwater » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:19 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Fedor reporting Cavs interested in Avdija and Okongwu , but I am guessing he is just hard up for material right now , I mean despite that obviously being a true statement at some point that they have had interest in times prior to Altman going over seas and prior to being spotted at a USC game , there is no such proof they have any interest after said scouting trips.

I put Deni in the gaggle of prospects after Edwards, Ball, and Wiseman in this draft. After those 3 it's anyone's guess who will be what. If the Cavs can't get Wiseman in the top 3 I'd trade back with a team wanting Ball/Edwards and draft Deni personally. I think his floor is a better Cedi with a ceiling much much higher.

Could be the case due to his " good at a lot of things not great at anything" tag because that does usually equate to less risk. I want them to shoot for the potential 1st option sleeper like a Siakim or Kawhi if they are left with the option of that vs higher floor lower ceiling options.
Someone like Avdija can fit in anywhere though so the only question is does his lack of athleticism drive down his stock or do they ignore it like they did with DG.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#93 » by Revenged25 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Could be the case due to his " good at a lot of things not great at anything" tag because that does usually equate to less risk. I want them to shoot for the potential 1st option sleeper like a Siakim or Kawhi if they are left with the option of that vs higher floor lower ceiling options.
Someone like Avdija can fit in anywhere though so the only question is does his lack of athleticism drive down his stock or do they ignore it like they did with DG.

I think you're really overplaying the "lack of athleticism" card. I mean he's not LeBron, Giannis etc but he's got at least average Athleticism for the position.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#94 » by Stillwater » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:15 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I think you're really overplaying the "lack of athleticism" card. I mean he's not LeBron, Giannis etc but he's got at least average Athleticism for the position.

Maybe but I think he will continue to struggle to score in the paint to the point he is relagated to being a jump shooter which he isn't that good at either.
I just don't see the draw as an NBA prospect or why anyone thinks someone who is basically labelled a tall sg because they lack a dribble drive and lack the moves to counter lack of explosiveness and length while also not having the speed to defend 3s and lack the strength to defend 4s etc.
I'd take Cedi over Avdija if they were both available in this draft for example and right now I don't see Avdija ever becoming an NBA starter unless he becomes either an elite passer or a knock down shooter neither of which are close to being projections
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#95 » by gflem » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:25 pm

I would definitely take Wiseman if he is available when the Cavs are up, if not I am a fan of Toppin. I saw the Derrick Williams comp earlier, but he is taller than Williams, and more importantly he isn't as stiff. Williams mostly overpowered his competition in college, but didn't have the lateral quickness or moves to shake his defender. Toppin looks to be able to go around or through his defender, as well as being a better 3pt shooter coming out of college. He could possibly be the heir apparent to KLove if/when Love is moved, and imo would be able to guard the stretch 4's in the league which Love has trouble with.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#96 » by JonFromVA » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:15 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

But is Deni even a better prospect than Cedi who we drafted in the second round?

At least Cedi demonstrated he could knock down 3's and free throws at a decent clip ...
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#97 » by Revenged25 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:17 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Could be the case due to his " good at a lot of things not great at anything" tag because that does usually equate to less risk. I want them to shoot for the potential 1st option sleeper like a Siakim or Kawhi if they are left with the option of that vs higher floor lower ceiling options.

But is Deni even a better prospect than Cedi who we drafted in the second round?

At least Cedi demonstrated he could knock down 3's and free throws at a decent clip ...

yes, he's a much better prospect that's not even debatable.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#98 » by JonFromVA » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

yes, he's a much better prospect that's not even debatable.

Do go on ...
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#99 » by Stillwater » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:51 pm

Even If they dont draft the next Mario Hezonja or Dragan Bender instead of the next Korkmaz or Ntilikina... Avdija is not anywhere close to being the next Luka or Manu so they better not be at all interested in winning anytime soon if he is picked in the top 5.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#100 » by Stillwater » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:19 am

here is an example lottery mock if the draft were this week:https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/659012/
Vassell is a solid fit into the back court next to Garland or Sexton and has the versatility to play with KPJ with both being interchangeable as well.
If they miss out on the top few options I think it's a reasonable selection.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers