ImageImageImage

The "Rosasian Roster" in 2020

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Re: The "Rosasian Roster" in 2020 

Post#61 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:50 am

People continue to point at kat and wiggs, but they aren't the problem. Those 2 are the reasons we dont have the worst record in the league.

Our last 2 no.1s look like they don't belong in this league.
Our vets like teague and cov are making as many mental errors as our gleague guys.
Our coaching staff is also not putting players in a position to succeed.

Teams like okc, noh, gsw are more talented than we are 3-15. We have role players that aren't playing a role and supporting our 2 big tickets.

Kat has his flaws on defense but we aren't trading the most gifted offensive big man in the league.

Wiggs is a borderline all star this year. 24 yr old wings averaging 25~5~3 dont go on trees, but we want to find another one?

We need to support them with better players that fit the system, not trade them.

Our other 12 guys are severely underperforming.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#62 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:02 am

I dont mind the system, but layman, wiggs, and kat not playing alot has hurt us.

This system isnt just about hoisting 3s, its also about cutting into the seams and finishing.

Kat is passing more than hes ever been. When he hits a cutting wiggs, its a thing of beauty. Outside of wiggs and layman, kat cant hit them because they cant create the separation needed. And when they do get the pass, they cant finish. Okogie, cov, and culver are horrible finishers.

Now with kat out, wiggs hasnt been able to cut because there are 2 guys on him with a big waiting in the paint. And the times he does get space, we have no one who can make that pass.

So yeah, as much as a rag on this system, i still think its a good one and would look a whole lot better if kat, wiggs, and layman could share the floor.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,705

Post#63 » by minimus » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:09 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:I dont mind the system, but layman, wiggs, and kat not playing alot has hurt us.

This system isnt just about hoisting 3s, its also about cutting into the seams and finishing.

Kat is passing more than hes ever been. When he hits a cutting wiggs, its a thing of beauty. Outside of wiggs and layman, kat cant hit them because they cant create the separation needed. And when they do get the pass, they cant finish. Okogie, cov, and culver are horrible finishers.

Now with kat out, wiggs hasnt been able to cut because there are 2 guys on him with a big waiting in the paint. And the times he does get space, we have no one who can make that pass.

So yeah, as much as a rag on this system, i still think its a good one and would look a whole lot better if kat, wiggs, and layman could share the floor.

Can't and1 this enough. Last games without KAT Wiggins played against set defense, trying to beat opponent off the dribble. He usually can beat first opponent but defense has enough time to react and adjust. I like what I see from Wiggins, I like what I see from KAT in this system. I am happy to see a big progress from Nowell and Reid. KAT/Reid are both players who fits our system, with them playing 100% time at C/PF position Layman, Wiggins, KBD, Nowell, Culver and Okogie will look much better.

I don't think Rosas is planning a win now trade, but I am sure he is open to make one, if price is fair and fit is there. We are sitting on assets and it is only matter of time how and when we invest them.
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#64 » by wolfen » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:14 pm

Christmas Breakdown - Rosasian Roster

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of the board! Just thought I'd share some thoughts on various wolvesy topics based on observations from the season, and especially in light of the current losing skid.

1. Culver - He's not ready, period. Is there potential there? Of course. It's my opinion that he needs to spend a couple months in the gleague to get his sea legs. His future requires the ball in his hands a good deal, and he's not getting that at all on the varsity squad. Let him run the show in Iowa in January and February so he can work on ALL facets of his game. Right now, he's not an effective player and isn't able to get his confidence going with limited playing time. I'd start watching some IA wolves games if they did send him down too!

2. Nowell - Who knows if it was the time in Iowa for a good chunk of the season, but between he and Culver, right now Nowell looks more "ready" to be a contributor on the squad. With more time, that shot will begin to fall, I really believe that. He's getting to the line and putting pressure on the defense as well. He's shown he can do a good job defending at the NBA level, so that eases the worry a bit putting him out there for long stretches. In my coaching experience, guys like this benefit from playing with STARTERS, not as part of a bench mob. So yes, I propose putting Nowell in the staring lineup for a few weeks to see how things go. IF Teague was put back into the starting lineup and focused on pushing the ball, moving it, and taking the open shot, a lineup of Teague / Nowell / Wigs / XX / KAT would be a good way to go. XX would depend on the opposition, if the opposing front line isn't too hefty, put in Cov. If it is, start Gorgs, he has shown some shooting chops lately, sets good screens on the perimeter, and would allow KAT to play a lot on the perimeter. Also see what Nowell can do with the point Wiggins lineup, without a traditional PG (Teague, Napier). He's simply a more skilled player than Okogie, not just a better shooter, but he's good with the ball in his hands, you know, he can actually DRIBBLE the basketball.

3. Naz Reid - Get him up to the varsity squad, now, especially when KAT is out. But even when KAT comes back, he needs to get some time. Our team cannot shoot the ball from the perimeter, and he could at least offer some stretch potential. He's also a good passer and rebounder as well. We know who Bell and Vonleh are, they just aren't difference makers, and in many cases, add to the problems on the offensive end.

4. Okogie - He's almost unplayable right now, he's a mess on the offensive end, and he's not shutting down anyone on the other side of the ball either. Needs to go back to his role of 10 mpg spark plug super ball of energy.

5. Point guard - I'm not proposing we roll with Jordan McLaughlin. In fact, I still don't think he's a rotational player on a decent team. BUT, sometimes guys like that have stints in games where they play well and make you realize the importance of effective play at their position. Against the Warriors the other night, JM was consistently breaking down defenses with penetration, especially without hesistating and stagnating the ball. He was a human jitter-bug for a good 10 minute stretch of the game. Defenses collapsed because of this quick penetration, spacing improved, guys started moving off of the ball, better quality shots resulted from teammates because the defense had to recover, move, etc. Imagine if we had a PG that consistently put pressure on the defense like that. Collapsing defenses is PARAMOUNT to any good offensive philosophy. Our 3 point percentage would rise as a team as a result, because right now our 3's are either heavily contested, or shot from 26 feet. Teague CAN do this, but when he gets the ball, he holds it for a second or 2 (defense can set), then he tries to get in the paint, then from there we all know what happens, he either passes up an open shot or floater, or keeps dribbling the air out of the ball. Napier just isn't a guy that can be counted on in this area, period. The other cool thing about JM's play the other night was 3 point shooting. It was nice to see a PG out there getting hot for a stretch from the behind the arc. He has a quick release and is willing to shoot it, unlike Teague. We hoped Napier would bring that to us this year but ugh, shooting it at a 24% clip from deep is a killer. Teams have also almost completely nuetralized Cov as well as a result of not having a pg who can break down defenses.

I hear the "don't take the ball out of wiggins' hands" argument a lot when it comes to having a pg running things. To that I say - meh. Wigs can still have the ball in his hands a lot and make plays, even with a PG who excels in breaking down defenses. This team isn't going anywhere until we get TWO effective point guards on the roster, a starter, and a good backup. I'd like to take a stab at nabbing a backup PG DURING the season this year who has a chance to be that type of player - high energy drive and dish guy who can hit some shots as well. Trading a 2nd round pick could nab said player. Here are some possibilities that could be looked into:

Jalen Brunson, Yogi Farrell, Tim Frazier, Ellie Okobo, Ty Jerome, Ish Smith, Jevon Carter, Derrick Walton. Brunson is the guy on that list who I think is REALLY overlooked by the casual fan. He could actually start for our squad right now and easily be the best option as a starter, until a long-term prospect with a higher ceiling is added (likely from the draft). One 2nd rounder probably wouldn't land him, maybe 2 2nds would. Or maybe a deal with the mavs - Covington for Courtney Lee, Brunson, and a 2nd rounder. Lee is a sound player who can shoot the ball. Imagine him getting the shots that Okogie takes. He would come off of the books at the end of the year as well, so you could either re-sign him for a cheap 2 year deal if he played well, or use the cap space gained from trading Covington. Mavs are in a win-now mode, so they may have interest in such a deal. The other pg's I mentioned above could quite possibly be had for one 2nd round pick, as they are on teams that don't allow them to get much of any playing time. Yogi Farrell loves to get into the lane and put pressure on the defense. He could be a nice long-term 2nd string PG, spending a 2nd rounder to solidify that bench PG situation works for me.

Draft & PG
Sadly, it looks like we'll be in the lottery again. But fortunately, there are some PG prospects that could have starter potential. If we're in the late lotto, guys like Manion and Haliburton would be options. The 2 foreign PG prospects - Maledon & Hayes, would also be there, although I don't have an educated opinion yet as to what kind and quality players they would be. Last year I was pimping on Devon Dotson from Kansas. If we don't add a backup PG via a mid-season trade, Dotson could be the PERFECT backup pg on this squad with his relentless speed and paint attacks to collapse the D. Guys in high level conferences who come back to school after testing the draft and show the kind of improvement he has, seem to be solid choices to make it in the league. He's upped his scoring to 19 ppg from 12 last year. As many of you know I'm a huge proponent of trading down in drafts, he'd be a target in that scenario, as he'll likely be there in the early 20's on draft day. Staying put and taking a guy like Maledon, vs. trading down and nabbing TWO players like Dotson and Nwora, that is the question. I could argue either scenario.

Draft Sleeper #1 - Rob Edwards - ASU
Could go undrafted, could go late 2nd round. He has a powerful body and quick release from 3, gets nice elevation. He's a one trick pony who would potentially offer 3 point shooting and attacking closeouts. He's shot 35% from 3 over his career on a pretty high volume and is a senior. 6-5 205 shooting guard who is strong, rebounds his position, and has the quickness to effectively guard bench guys in positions 1-3. 3 and D guy for sure. I love his catch and shoot action. If he goes undrafted I make him a priority free agent signing. Check out a clip on Edwards. Focus on the catch and shoot, it's beautiful. His percentage would be higher if he would cut down on the one on one style 3 point attempts, although he is capable in that area as well. He just screams nba bench scorer to me.

Adding Shooters - Malik Beasley
My nephew is a die-hard Nugs fan and although he's a Beasley fan, he thinks the nugs, with their plethora of depth, probably won't re-sign him this off season. If he does become available, I'd put him on my short list of young shooters (40% from 3 over his career) to go after in free agency. Especially if Covington was moved (more cap space on hand), but even if not, you would think we could sign him to a fair offer and give him some pretty big minutes.

Anyways, that's my ramble for today, cheers!
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#65 » by Klomp » Thu Feb 6, 2020 8:21 pm

1.5 months later, not much has changed other than swapping Wiggins for Russell. But yet the hope seems much stronger, and even I was pretty hopeful about the franchise already.

Klomp wrote:
vagelis wrote:There is no roster right now.
It is Wiggins, Towns and nothing else.

I actually think this is a strong piece of information that Wolves fans should remember right now.

I think some people are panicking because they think this is what we'll be for the next 5-10 years. It's not. Change is coming. I don't believe any player beyond Towns and Wiggins is viewed as a definite core essential piece of this franchise long-term.

In the short-term, that creates a bit of a frustrating situation in front of us right now. It seems like we have no hope because we have no one beyond those two. But the key is that it creates a lot of fluidity in the roster to where change can happen quickly. I don't think the team is afraid to trade Culver. I don't think the team is afraid to trade Covington. If they were viewed as core pieces, we might not be willing to strike when the iron's hot on a potential deal. But right now, I think business is open on anyone not named Towns and Wiggins. Obviously the return value has to be right in any trade, but I don't think they feel so tied to a player to where they would hesitate to make a good deal.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by Klomp » Thu Feb 6, 2020 8:22 pm

wolfen wrote:Adding Shooters - Malik Beasley
My nephew is a die-hard Nugs fan and although he's a Beasley fan, he thinks the nugs, with their plethora of depth, probably won't re-sign him this off season. If he does become available, I'd put him on my short list of young shooters (40% from 3 over his career) to go after in free agency. Especially if Covington was moved (more cap space on hand), but even if not, you would think we could sign him to a fair offer and give him some pretty big minutes.

You win!
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#67 » by Jedzz » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:51 am

Klomp wrote:1.5 months later, not much has changed other than swapping Wiggins for Russell. But yet the hope seems much stronger, and even I was pretty hopeful about the franchise already.

Everything has changed and nothing has changed.

With Wiggins gone and no longer a claimed core piece here, all is different. That's a lionshare of touches the Coach was trying to get other players to give to him. No longer that.

However it's clear this is still Houston North. Except it's getting more real maybe? There is a shooter in our midst. Maybe two!
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#68 » by Dewey » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:00 pm

Wierdly one of our biggest challenges has been hitting "open" shots, not 1-on-1's or mid-range jumpers, but simply open shots ... over and over we have moved the ball and then repeatedly been unable to capitalize on an open three's. I try to avoid any scapegoating, blaming, or calling out players, but clearly Okogie and Culver can saddle much of that underachievement IMO. In defense of them, they are not 3pt shooters by nature but were filling the position - especially with Layman out. Ironically they are still here 8-) . but that's fine with me.

Therefore, one of my team goals these last 30 games is to capitalize on these open shot attempts (as sad as that may sound). We will get a look at how Beasley and Russell can handle this void, and with any luck, this allows Culver and Okogie to fill smaller defensive roles and focus more on cutting and finishing in transition.

With that said, transition requires contested shots and strong rebounding and that's my second goal. Half-court 3pt shooting is one facet, but transition is one we can also improve. KAT, Reid, Hernangomaz, Spellman, Vanderbilt, Johnson, etc. need to shore up the rebounding and help defense whether its a strength of theirs or not .. it simply has to be addressed.

Aside from that, let the players play and re-evaluate post-season for key needs heading into the 2020-2021. Short-term, I look forward to having a true NBA caliber PG and I hope he will take it upon himself to lead. Once we start shoring up the wing play, I foresee a 20 pt/10 assist tyical night for DLo. If he can mature and become just an average defender, it'll be a big win for us.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#69 » by FinnTheHuman » Sat Mar 7, 2020 6:21 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:I want Malik Beasley. Too low minutes means low production means he wonā€™t cost too much, but too good to cost very little. Throwing 13-15 mil at the guy per season for 4 years is what Iā€™d easily do. Heā€™s burried below Murray, Gary Harris, Monta Moriss, Barton in the rotation, but the kid will imo be better than any of them in a couple of years, thatā€™s how high Iā€™m on him. Might give us that 3rd star from the SG position if we take the risk. Wonder if he caught anybody elseā€™s eye here?

Just wanted to quote my post from Dec 23 here for bragging purposes. Waited to see if somebody else was gonna gimme the nod, but too much time has passed without it happening :D

Honestly a little disappointed nobody remembered this post thatā€™s just one page back? I guess all these disasters weā€™ve been through killed all the joy in people of actually reading the posts on the wolves forum. Did happen to me in all honesty.
minimus
RealGM

Post#70 » by minimus » Mon Mar 9, 2020 8:01 am

FinnTheHuman wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:I want Malik Beasley. Too low minutes means low production means he wonā€™t cost too much, but too good to cost very little. Throwing 13-15 mil at the guy per season for 4 years is what Iā€™d easily do. Heā€™s burried below Murray, Gary Harris, Monta Moriss, Barton in the rotation, but the kid will imo be better than any of them in a couple of years, thatā€™s how high Iā€™m on him. Might give us that 3rd star from the SG position if we take the risk. Wonder if he caught anybody elseā€™s eye here?

Just wanted to quote my post from Dec 23 here for bragging purposes. Waited to see if somebody else was gonna gimme the nod, but too much time has passed without it happening :D

Honestly a little disappointed nobody remembered this post thatā€™s just one page back? I guess all these disasters weā€™ve been through killed all the joy in people of actually reading the posts on the wolves forum. Did happen to me in all honesty.

I remember being sceptical about him after his video when he fought with another athlete, but I cant be happier with him in MIN uniform.
minimus
RealGM

Post#71 » by minimus » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:26 am

Is there any chance that James Johnson and MIN will re-work his contract? For instance, he won't pick up his PO and resigns for 30mil/3yr, last year team option? It might help us to resign Malik, Juancho. We draft Killian Hayes, Saddiq Bey. Then we acquire Jae Crowder (32mil/4yrs, last year team option) in S&T for Culver, SRP.

KAT/Reid/Spellman
JJ/Juancho/Bey
Crowder/Layman/Martin
Beasley/Okogie/Nowell
DLo/Hayes/McLaughlin
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by Klomp » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:49 pm

minimus wrote:Is there any chance that James Johnson and MIN will re-work his contract?

I would say there's certainly a chance of a reworked deal, but it depends on if Johnson is willing to do so. Personally I think 3/30 is a tad too rich and longterm for someone already 33, but he may not want to rework it if it's much lower than that.

minimus
RealGM

Post#73 » by minimus » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:52 pm

I have been re-watching some great old NBA games. I've just realised that PHO had special offensvie talents such as Nash, Amare but also had unique defensive specialist such as Marion, Diaw, Bell. Can Rosas find such type of defenders who fit our system?
minimus
RealGM

Post#74 » by minimus » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:33 am

Read on Twitter

Next season:. KAT to Beasley at #1
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Re: The 

Post#75 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:04 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

I also envision the reverse as likely.
minimus
RealGM

Post#76 » by minimus » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:05 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Next season: KAT to Beasley at #1

I also envision the reverse as likely.

KAT to Beasley at #1
DLo to KAT at #2
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#77 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 14, 2020 4:11 pm

D'Angelo Russell said it feels like he's "supposed to be" in Minnesota, and he appreciates how the organization and city have embraced him.
ā€œFor me to come here, this feels more at home to me,ā€ Russell said. ā€œLike I could settle down, raise my family and unpack my bags.ā€ According to his friend and teammate Karl-Anthony Towns, "[Russell's] whole career ... It just never felt like he was wanted, and he could feel it.ā€ He shot just 41.2% in his brief stint with the Wolves, but posted career highs in rebounds (4.6) and steals (1.4), and we've yet to see what he can do alongside KAT.

RELATED: Karl-Anthony Towns
SOURCE: The Athletic
May 14, 2020, 10:00 AM ET
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#78 » by Mattya » Thu May 14, 2020 5:15 pm

Love you too DLo
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#79 » by Mattya » Thu May 14, 2020 5:17 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

The way they use Johnson as a screen assist man too could rack up a lot of assists.
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#80 » by wolfen » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:53 am

With such a massive whole at the PF position, man would it be nice to have Achiuwa on the squad right now. He's filling the EXACT role right out of the gate for the Heat that we so desperately need.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/miami-heat/article248108410.html

It would be nice to find out where PA was on Rosas' board. Was he lower on the board because he wasn't a great shooter in college? Because people thought he would only aspire to be a scoring 3? Because there was and is no debate about his tenacity, physical presence, defense and rebounding. All huge areas of need on the wolves, even when the entire squad is healthy. Could have had him at 17 right? Right. But we went after Rubio, which I get. BUT, we MIGHT have been able to nab PA AND Rubio with a little creativity. How? After our top pick, we had 17 and 33. We traded:
-17 & James Johnson for Rubio, 25, and 28.
-25 & 33 for 23.
-Balmaro @ 23 (just ugh), and McDaniels @ 28 is what we ended up with

PA got picked at 20. So we're sitting here during the draft and it's moments after the trade for Rubio, we're sitting with picks 25, 28, and 33. Targeting the mavs pick @18 could have been a reasonable move. Why? The mavs took Josh Green at 18, Tyrell Terry @31, and Tyler Bey @ 36. To me that says they were looking for defense on the wing (Green, Bey) and possibly a Seth Curry lite replacement in Terry. They weren't in on Achiuwa it appears. If we offered 25 & 28 for 18 do the mavs bite? Maybe. Throw in 33? Very possibly. No, the mavs wouldn't have used ALL of the picks in that scenario, they would have wheeled and dealed to package back up to still get Green, Terry, and Bey, but could have used that draft capital to get even more and/or better players, possibly a Euro stash. Would Green have been there at 23? Maybe, maybe not. I tend to think he would have been, but if the mavs thought he wouldn't last that long, they could have moved up a couple spots with that draft capital to ensure getting him. Maybe a back-up plan was Desmond Bane @23 (who by the way looks like a better player than Green).

The point is, with the massive hole at PF, and the squad lacking in toughness, tenacity, physicality, defense, rebounding, not coming away from the draft with an OBVIOUS option in Precious Achiuwa is looking REALLY bad, and I say shame on Rosas. There were about 5-6 players in the draft who, even though they were 1 and done, had the big-boy strength and size at their position that screamed "early contributor". Off the top of my head - Edwards, Wiseman, P Williams, Okoro, Okongwu, Toppin (not a 1 and done, I know), Green, Achiuwa. Concerned about PA not fitting the Towns time-line? I call BS for the reason mentioned - physically ready. If I could, I'd love to sit down with Rosas and learn of his opinion on Achiuwa, what it was coming up to the draft, why he wasn't a target (even at 17), why certain "player types" don't even appear to be on his radar (see RHJ), etc.

Anyways, sorry for the long rant, just thinking we missed big-time on a player that would be perfect on the squad right about now.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves