MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Who is your pick for the 2019-20 MVP?

Giannis
61%
James
25%
Harden
3%
Leonard
0%
Doncic
4%
Jokic
1%
Tatum
1%
Davis
1%
Butler
1%
Siakam/Westbrook
2%

Total votes: 430

Bandit King
Analyst
And1: 1,144

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1341 » by Bandit King » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:24 pm

COVID-19 MVP and DPOY!
Chicago Bulls Basketball - The Continuity
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,587

Post#1342 » by HotRocks34 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:35 pm

Race looks over unless the season resumes and LeBron makes a large move while Giannis stumbles.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/257654/Media-Straw-Poll-Has-Giannis-Antetokounmpo-As-Overwhelming-Pick-For-MVP

Giannis Antetokounmpo remains the clear favorite to win MVP in a straw poll of 70 media members conducted by ESPN.

Antetokounmpo earned 60 of the 70 possible first place votes.

Before the NBA season was suspended, ESPN began pushing a narrative that James had closed the gap on the MVP race on Antetokounmpo despite the overwhelming case for the reigning MVP. Several media members on ESPN supported James' case by citing specious factors such as the passing of Kobe Bryant, his response to the China controversy and also his age.

There are 100 voters for MVP, I believe. So if Giannis already has 60 in his pocket, it's over (unless there is more regular season to be played).
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid, including a 2nd-round game on the road
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs without Klay
Clippers2020
Junior
And1: 177

Post#1343 » by Clippers2020 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:28 pm

Thank God.
Mike Greenberg lost.
Kubbas
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#1344 » by Kubbas » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:13 am

HotRocks34 wrote:Race looks over unless the season resumes and LeBron makes a large move while Giannis stumbles.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/257654/Media-Straw-Poll-Has-Giannis-Antetokounmpo-As-Overwhelming-Pick-For-MVP

Giannis Antetokounmpo remains the clear favorite to win MVP in a straw poll of 70 media members conducted by ESPN.

Antetokounmpo earned 60 of the 70 possible first place votes.

Before the NBA season was suspended, ESPN began pushing a narrative that James had closed the gap on the MVP race on Antetokounmpo despite the overwhelming case for the reigning MVP. Several media members on ESPN supported James' case by citing specious factors such as the passing of Kobe Bryant, his response to the China controversy and also his age.

There are 100 voters for MVP, I believe. So if Giannis already has 60 in his pocket, it's over (unless there is more regular season to be played).

just to clarify, it was a panel of random writers, not the actuall voters so:

In a survey of 70 media members who cover the league, Antetokounmpo was the clear leader in MVP balloting, earning 60 of the 70 possible first-place votes to open a commanding lead over James, who had an equally commanding lead over the rest of the field.

To make the balloting process realistic, ESPN sought to mimic the league's official voting process as closely as possible. Our MVP voting panel includes a mixture of local beat writers from across the league, as well as national and international reporters, just as the NBA's does at the conclusion of the regular season. And, to conform to the NBA's voting system, every first-place vote is worth 10 points, followed by seven for second place, five for third, three for fourth and one for fifth.
The Lazy Potato
Pro Prospect
And1: 300

Post#1345 » by The Lazy Potato » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:18 am

Most of the voters will vote for Giannis anyway. The only thing we don't know yet is by how much he gonna win it and to be honest i don't even care about this. Giannis will be back to back MVP. Case closed.
Kubbas
Sophomore

Post#1346 » by Kubbas » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:30 pm

The Lazy Potato wrote:Most of the voters will vote for Giannis anyway. The only thing we don't know yet is by how much he gonna win it and to be honest i don't even care about this. Giannis will be back to back MVP. Case closed.

yeah for sure, coming from a Bucks fan what can you expect
The Lazy Potato
Pro Prospect
And1: 300

Post#1347 » by The Lazy Potato » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:43 am

Kubbas wrote:
The Lazy Potato wrote:Most of the voters will vote for Giannis anyway. The only thing we don't know yet is by how much he gonna win it and to be honest i don't even care about this. Giannis will be back to back MVP. Case closed.

Yeah i am a Bucks fan but that doesn't mean i am not right. It's more than obvious what will happen. but feel free to believe what ever you like.
Kubbas
Sophomore

Post#1348 » by Kubbas » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:40 am

The Lazy Potato wrote:
Kubbas wrote:

Yeah i am a Bucks fan but that doesn't mean i am not right. It's more than obvious what will happen. but feel free to believe what ever you like.

as for now youre right, but it is 70 to 30, can be 50 50 if rest of RS is played
people act like Lebron was playing terrific only for last couple weeks, which is not true

and dont forget that most missed games as MVP was Iverson with 11, and Bill Walton, Giannis missed a decent number of games
Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 787

Post#1349 » by Packbuckman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:08 pm

Kubbas wrote:
The Lazy Potato wrote:
Kubbas wrote:yeah for sure, coming from a Bucks fan what can you expect

as for now youre right, but it is 70 to 30, can be 50 50 if rest of RS is played
people act like Lebron was playing terrific only for last couple weeks, which is not true

and dont forget that most missed games as MVP was Iverson with 11, and Bill Walton, Giannis missed a decent number of games

Giannis played in 57 games LeBron 60 before league was shutdown. Games played will have no factor on the vote. At this point it really don’t matter to me I wish the season would continue but it don’t look like it right now.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,083

Post#1350 » by mademan » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:29 pm

Lebron had a sliver of a chance if the Lakers ended up with the best record. As is, should be Giannis's easily
pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#1351 » by pootbrah » Sun Apr 5, 2020 3:20 pm

Westbrook
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,229

Post#1352 » by freethedevil » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:54 pm

Kubbas wrote:

Bias is irrelevant if you can't dispute what is said.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,463

Post#1353 » by KGtabake » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:45 am

Adam Silver is the MVP.
Best commissioner in sports easily.
Watching how UEFA(could have been FIFA as well) treats the whole situation makes me certain of this.
NBA is in good hands.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
AirJordan213
Freshman
And1: 66

Post#1354 » by AirJordan213 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:43 pm

Giannis easily. Harden a distant 2nd.

AD>>James. Davis is doing most of the grunt work and makes a greater impact for the Lakers.
mediocrityrules
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,958

Post#1355 » by mediocrityrules » Fri May 1, 2020 6:43 am

This season already feels like a lifetime ago. Considering there's probably little of the RS left when we resume, Giannis has to be odds-on favourite.
Circling calendars since 2021
Kobe187
Starter
And1: 1,897

Post#1356 » by Kobe187 » Fri May 1, 2020 6:08 pm

AirJordan213 wrote:Giannis easily. Harden a distant 2nd.

AD>>James. Davis is doing most of the grunt work and makes a greater impact for the Lakers.

They both make a solid impact for the Lakers. Davis has been a beast on the interior and has been terrific defensively allowing LeBron to cruise along playing the PG position. Agree that Davis is the MVP for the Lakers.
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#1357 » by lazybatman » Sun May 3, 2020 2:51 am

Kobe187 wrote:

They both make a solid impact for the Lakers. Davis has been a beast on the interior and has been terrific defensively allowing LeBron to cruise along playing the PG position. Agree that Davis is the MVP for the Lakers.
Coming from petty Kobe and MJ fans..

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Kobe187
Starter

Post#1358 » by Kobe187 » Mon May 4, 2020 7:23 pm

lazybatman wrote:
Kobe187 wrote:

Not a knock against LeBron he’s been good, but Davis has been better for the Lakers this season. Wouldn’t you agree?
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#1359 » by lazybatman » Mon May 4, 2020 7:58 pm

Kobe187 wrote:
lazybatman wrote:
Kobe187 wrote:

Not a knock against LeBron he’s been good, but Davis has been better for the Lakers this season. Wouldn’t you agree?

Oh, isn't it? One of them is the universally accepted the 2nd leading candidate for MVP, the other not quite. One of them might have a shot at eclipsing Mike & Kobe's legacies, the other not quite.

What do you think?

It's alright fella.. you aren't the only one. The GOAT himself, couldn't accept Kobe's greatness either, till later in his career, when it became clear he wasn't gonna come close to challenging his legacy. Mike gave the go-ahead for the 'Last Dance' doc after the 2016 Cleveland parade(Skip Bayless admitted this, so don't go all controversy theory on me about it).

Competitiveness on the court and insecurity outside it are very slightly different from each other.

Not saying Lebron's above it, just trying to keep the facts straight.
Kobe187
Starter

Post#1360 » by Kobe187 » Mon May 4, 2020 8:17 pm

lazybatman wrote:
Kobe187 wrote:
lazybatman wrote:Coming from petty Kobe and MJ fans..

Oh, isn't it? One of them is the universally accepted the 2nd leading candidate for MVP, the other not quite. One of them might have a shot at eclipsing Mike & Kobe's legacies, the other not quite.

What do you think?

Lol that’s the root of the problem, there is no way LeBron is deserving of 2nd place with 79 votes when he’s not even the most valuable player on his team. It’s funny how ignorant bron fans are.

Strike 1 for personal attack.

Return to The General Board