NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#81 » by babyjax13 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:47 pm

Leandro Bolmaro is one of the guys I think I've narrowed in on. Just looks way too skilled not to be good in the NBA, but needs to develop his jumper.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#82 » by Catchall » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:49 am

Devin Vassel from FSU looks like a player that Jazz would be interested in. He reminds me of Allan Houston.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#83 » by babyjax13 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:49 am

Catchall wrote:Devin Vassel from FSU looks like a player that Jazz would be interested in. He reminds me of Allan Houston.

He is being mocked in the lottery, but I agree. There should also be a really good point guard that drops. One of Nico Mannion/Theo Maledon could be nice. Josh Green also looks nice. I actually really like this draft.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#84 » by Catchall » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:54 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Catchall wrote:Devin Vassel from FSU looks like a player that Jazz would be interested in. He reminds me of Allan Houston.

He is being mocked in the lottery, but I agree. There should also be a really good point guard that drops. One of Nico Mannion/Theo Maledon could be nice. Josh Green also looks nice. I actually really like this draft.

Killian Hayes looks viable. He has some shiftiness and change of pace. Good size and speed. Pretty good vision. He's had an off year shooting from distance, but it looks a bit like an aberration. He's a great foul shooter at near 90%. His overall talent level looks comparable to a Goran Dragic, but he's a bit more explosive and athletic, rather than herky jerky.

Nico Mannion does nothing for me. I'll check him out some more, but my first take was that he's barely an NBA player, if that.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#85 » by Catchall » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:59 am

Add Jahim'us Ramsey to the list of viable players in our range. He has starter potential as a mobile shooter who is hitting over 42% from 3pt.

;feature=emb_logo
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#86 » by babyjax13 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:08 am

Catchall wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Killian Hayes looks viable. He has some shiftiness and change of pace. Good size and speed. Pretty good vision. He's had an off year shooting from distance, but it looks a bit like an aberration. He's a great foul shooter at near 90%.

Nico Mannion does nothing for me. I'll check him out some more, but my first take was that he's barely an NBA player, if that.

Hayes is way out of our range, and if we trade into his range, I'd rather grab Obi Toppin, who...I believe, is the best player in the draft (and it really is not close). There are also better point guards in that range (specifically Ball and Halliburton) but I do like Hayes. I assumed Maledon would get drafted over him when the year started, but that doesn't look to be the case. Per Mannion, think TJ McConnell with a bit better passing. He's also the son of former Jazz player Pace Mannion. If we bought an early 2nd he'd be a good get, or if the players we like are out of our range, I wouldn't hate a cost-controlled backup point guard.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#87 » by Catchall » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:55 am

So sign me up for Devin Vassell, Jaden McDaniels or Killian Hayes. If that doesn't work, then Jalen Smith.

Edit: I do have a couple concerns about McDaniels. The first is that it's going to take him 2 - 3 years to be ready for the physicality of the NBA. If you look at Jonathan Isaac, he really struggled his first two years before he was starting to break through in his 3rd season. Brandon Ingram was similar and really started to break through this season, which was his 4th in the league.

My next concern is injuries. There seems to be a real propensity for these tall, long, thin players to have knee problems. It may be related to the amount of torque that is put on the knee, but there's a long and growing list of players with this body type having knee injuries. The list includes: Kerry Kittles, Penny Hardaway, Shaun Livingston, Jamal Crawford, Ricky Rubio, Corey Brewer, Dante Exum, Tony Wroten, Delon Wright, Zach Lavine, Dejounte Murray, etc.

McDaniels is physically similar to Nerlens Noel and Jonathan Isaac, both of whom tore ACLs.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#88 » by babyjax13 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:30 am

I like Tyrell Terry in the 2nd round.

Per the above on McDaniels, my main concern is the lack of skill. He can almost do a lot of really cool things - he can almost shoot, he can almost be a primary ball handler, he can almost be a lock down defender, he can almost beat guys off the dribble - but I don't know if he can put it all together. Brandon Ingram had really similar physical tools, but I think he was further along (and Ingram/OPJ would be my comp).

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#89 » by babyjax13 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:43 am

So intrigued by Bolmaro

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#90 » by Catchall » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:08 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I like Tyrell Terry in the 2nd round.

Per the above on McDaniels, my main concern is the lack of skill. He can almost do a lot of really cool things - he can almost shoot, he can almost be a primary ball handler, he can almost be a lock down defender, he can almost beat guys off the dribble - but I don't know if he can put it all together. Brandon Ingram had really similar physical tools, but I think he was further along (and Ingram/OPJ would be my comp).

I think the skill level is there for McDaniels. I think he's easily a tier or two better than his brother Jalen from last year. He's got a handle, body control, shooting touch, a few different ways to finish, and some vision and passing. He's more fluid and has more ball skills than Isaac. He also shows good instincts and timing rebounding the ball. I think he just needs to add strength and develop physically, and that's going to take a solid year or two. That makes him a bit of a project and might cause him to slide a bit in the draft.

So the question is whether the Jazz are willing to be patient with him, when there are a few guys who could step in and help sooner. Guys like Jalen Smith or Paul Reed might be able to step into the rotation by the end of their rookie season.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#91 » by Catchall » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:11 pm

We don't have a 2nd-rd pick this year. The good news is that we already have five 2nd-round caliber players from last year.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#92 » by sipclip » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:42 am

Nwora is still my top choice but Vassel is right there. After them I'm thinking Jalen Smith and Saddiq Bey
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#93 » by babyjax13 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:50 am

Catchall wrote:

We don't have a 2nd-rd pick this year. The good news is that we already have five 2nd-round caliber players from last year.

Can always be bought.

I am excited to see how the young guys developed. Oni is smaller than I anticipated, I don't know that he is going to pan out. Never had much hope for Foreman. However, Brantley and Tucker are really interesting to me. They both have elite physical tools.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#94 » by Catchall » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:03 am

sipclip wrote:Nwora is still my top choice but Vassel is right there. After them I'm thinking Jalen Smith and Saddiq Bey

I think Vassell can be a flatout star. Think Devin Booker with more athleticism, defense and versatility. I think Nwora is basically a tougher version of Dillon Brooks.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#95 » by Catchall » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:30 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I could see us trying to move for Okoro. He gives me Donovan Mitchell vibes in terms of just having so much more than people think he does + developing really fast.

I think you're right about Okoro. Defensively, he can guard 1 - 4. Offensively, he's like Corey Maggette, and he might even be a bit more explosive.

;t=307s
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#96 » by Catchall » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:55 am

babyjax13 wrote:So intrigued by Bolmaro

I agree. The Jazz really need to add a wing with real ball skills. Then they can play Mitchell at the 1 with a wing who runs the offense (similar to Ingles). Bolmaro has good size, great feel, great vision and plays with some sauce. He's playing at a pretty high level for Barcelona.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#97 » by Catchall » Wed Apr 1, 2020 8:49 pm

sipclip wrote:Nwora is still my top choice but Vassel is right there. After them I'm thinking Jalen Smith and Saddiq Bey

;t=117s
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#98 » by Catchall » Fri Apr 3, 2020 2:16 am

Would anyone here consider trading Rudy for a top-4 pick that nets us Wiseman or Toppin? The idea would be to develop another star on rookie scale.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#99 » by babyjax13 » Fri Apr 3, 2020 10:29 am

Catchall wrote:Would anyone here consider trading Rudy for a top-4 pick that nets us Wiseman or Toppin? The idea would be to develop another star on rookie scale.

I would consider it, yes. Consensus on the trade board by Warriors fans was Wiggins + 2020 GSW 1st + 2021 MIN 1st for Rudy was fair. I'd certainly think about that. Rudy is amazing, but if we end up having a lockerroom problem, I'd rather keep the player that can be with us for the next decade as a central piece.

e.g. here is a plan for a soft rebuild that still keeps some guys (and I will assume we do this with the intent to grab Wiseman, and we believe the GSW pick is high enough to do that)

Rudy for
Wiggins, 2020 GSW 1st (2), 2021 MIN 1st

Bogey for
Trevor Ariza, Mario Hezonja, 2020 POR 1st (14)

(using tankathon mock, which I believe is the best)
2. James Wiseman
14. Jaden McDaniels
24. Leandro Bolmaro

We'd then have two lotto picks in 2021, and possibly another in 2022. I'd have to assume that with that kind of asset pool we could build something really nice.

JColl
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#100 » by sipclip » Fri Apr 3, 2020 2:19 pm

Most draft I would strongly consider that but the top of this draft is so damn weak compared to other drafts. I wish I could have seen more of Wiseman but if I had to lean toward anyone with a top pick I would probably go Ball. His game is built for this current brand of the nba and if he is a legit 6'6" or 6'7" now then he will be impossible to guard.

Return to Utah Jazz