OT: 2018-2020 USA Basketball Men's National Team - 2020 (2021) Tokyo Olympics Updated Schedule, Page 13

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 31,901

Re: OT: 2018-2020 USA Basketball Men's National Team - Updated Schedule, Page 5 

Post#221 » by G R E Y » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:11 am

FIBA WC ROUND 2, GAME 2 - Team USA vs. Brazil:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Game summary
Relying on a staunch defense and some good shooting, the U.S. stifled Brazil (3-2) 89-73 Monday at Shenzhen, China, to remain unbeaten at the FIBA World Cup and punch its ticket to next year’s Olympic Games in Tokyo. Kemba Walker had 16 points and five assists while Myles Turner had 16 points and eight rebounds for the U.S.

Jaylen Brown added 11 points, four rebounds and four assists, while Harrison Barnes had 10 points as the USA snagged one of the two automatic qualifying spots given to the Americas zone, with Argentina grabbing the other by also advancing to the quarters and Brazil losing.

The U.S. has displayed a superb defense in the World Cup. Entering Monday’s game, the Americans had held their four opponents to 36% shooting and were coming off back-to-back games in which they allowed a combined 98 points. Brazil, with a bit more firepower and led by NBA players Anderson Varejao and Leandro Barbosa, shot 43.1 percent (28-of-65) against the U.S.

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/09/mwc-brazil-recap.aspx
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#222 » by G R E Y » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:44 am

Interviews
Read on Twitter

Quotes
Harrison Barnes (Sacramento Kings)
On the game:
I think in the second half, we did some things that helped our defense, kind of locked in mentally, didn’t make as many mistakes, didn’t have as many backdoors and just breakdowns. So, that’s what allowed us to get that offense and then run.

Jaylen Brown (Boston Celtics)
On his improvement over the USA’s five games:
I’m just getting started, just playing, being aggressive, doing what I’ve been doing all my life.

On playing the four position:
At the end of the day, it’s basketball. I feel like I’m not a position player; I’m a basketball player. Four, three, two, whatever, five, I played some five today. Whatever coach needs me to do, make the adjustment.

On being aggressive over the last three games:
I’m going to come out and be aggressive, regardless, and whatever opportunity I get, I just try to take advantage of it. Obviously, with Jayson being out, there is a little more of an opportunity, so maybe it was a little bit more visible, but every time I step on that floor I’m aggressive.

Do you feel like your chemistry with Kemba Walker is building?
Absolutely, absolutely. I think chemistry is built once you hit adversity together and you got to push through it, and we’ve been challenged multiple times on this trip since we started on Aug. 4. Now, it’s what, Sept. 10th, 9th? And so, we’ve seen a lot together. We just got to keep getting better.

Donovan Mitchell (Utah Jazz)
Do things feel like they’re clicking a little bit more, especially offensively, than they were earlier?
I think we’re just slowing ourselves down. Obviously, we have a team that’s new to each other. We didn’t play a great first half, but we responded. We continued to show the true character of the team. We got in there and competed on the offensive end, and that’s what we did.

You had seven assists yourself. What are you seeing now on the floor that you weren’t seeing earlier this tournament?
I think making the simple play. I think a lot of it is understanding the certain time you’re driving and looking for a call you’d get in the NBA that you may not get here. So, being able to make it simple. I think that’s what making it really easy. It’s not easy, but it’s easier.

On playing international basketball and representing the USA:
It’s great. For me, personally obviously it’s the challenge I wanted. To be able to play against different countries in China, I think, is amazing. I think the guys are responding well. I think playing every other day can be taxing. We kind of do this during the season anyway, but I think we’re all responding well, and it’s fun.

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/09/mwc-v-brazil-quotes.aspx
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#223 » by G R E Y » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:08 am

Full game

Post-game press conference
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#224 » by G R E Y » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:14 am

Let's see who stays committed:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#225 » by G R E Y » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Headed by three-time Olympic medalist LeBron James (Los Angeles Lakers), and including nine members of the gold medalist 2016 U.S. Olympic Team, seven gold medalists from the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team and all 12 members of the USA’s 2019 FIBA World Cup Team, 44 athletes were announced by USA Basketball today as finalists for the 2020 U.S. Olympic Men’s Basketball Team. The player selections were approved by the USA Basketball Board of Directors. The official 12-member 2020 U.S. Olympic Men’s Basketball Team roster will be announced later this year.

Featuring 29 players who have played for the USA in Olympic and/or FIBA World Cup competitions and who together have collected 31 Olympic or FIBA Basketball World Cup gold medals and four bronze medals, the 44 finalists for the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team include: Bam Adebayo (Miami Heat); LaMarcus Aldridge (San Antonio Spurs); Harrison Barnes (Sacramento Kings); Bradley Beal (Washington Wizards); Devin Booker (Phoenix Suns); Malcolm Brogdon (Indiana Pacers); Jaylen Brown (Boston Celtics); Jimmy Butler (Miami Heat); Mike Conley (Utah Jazz); Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors); Anthony Davis (Los Angeles Lakers); DeMar DeRozan (San Antonio Spurs); Andre Drummond (Cleveland Cavaliers); Kevin Durant (Brooklyn Nets); Paul George (L.A. Clippers); Draymond Green (Golden State Warriors); James Harden (Houston Rockets); Montrezl Harrell (L.A. Clippers); Joe Harris (Brooklyn Nets); Tobias Harris (Philadelphia 76ers); Gordon Hayward (Boston Celtics); Dwight Howard (Los Angeles Lakers); Brandon Ingram (New Orleans Pelicans); Kyrie Irving (Brooklyn Nets); LeBron James (Los Angeles Lakers); Kyle Kuzma (Los Angeles Lakers); Kawhi Leonard (L.A. Clippers); Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers); Brook Lopez (Milwaukee Bucks); Kevin Love (Cleveland Cavaliers); Kyle Lowry (Toronto Raptors); JaVale McGee (Los Angeles Lakers); Khris Middleton (Milwaukee Bucks); Donovan Mitchell (Utah Jazz); Victor Oladipo (Indiana Pacers); Chris Paul (Oklahoma City Thunder); Mason Plumlee (Denver Nuggets); Marcus Smart (Boston Celtics); Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics); Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors); Myles Turner (Indiana Pacers); Kemba Walker (Boston Celtics); Russell Westbrook (Houston Rockets); and Derrick White (San Antonio Spurs).

The USA National Team coaching staff is led by San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich, and serving as USA assistant coaches are Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr, Atlanta Hawks head coach Lloyd Pierce and Villanova University head coach Jay Wright.

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2020/02/men-olympic-finalists.aspx

Three Spurs invited! :clap:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#226 » by G R E Y » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:07 pm

Ooof, I really hope the Olympics still go on, but it is a more fluid situation that is being monitored closely. I guess the thing to do is to prepare as if the Olympics are going ahead, but with extra precautions. It may affect the decisions of some players, but then again, bottom line is stepping up:

IOC member casts doubt on postponing or moving Tokyo Games
A senior member of the International Olympic Committee said Tuesday that if it proves too dangerous to hold the Olympics in Tokyo this summer because of the coronavirus outbreak, organizers are more likely to cancel it altogether than to postpone or move it.

Dick Pound, a former Canadian swimming champion who has been on the IOC since 1978, making him its longest-serving member, estimated there is a three-month window — perhaps a two-month one — to decide the fate of the Tokyo Olympics, meaning a decision could be put off until late May.

“In and around that time, I’d say folks are going to have to ask: ‘Is this under sufficient control that we can be confident about going to Tokyo or not?’” he said in an exclusive interview with The Associated Press.

As the games draw near, he said, “a lot of things have to start happening. You’ve got to start ramping up your security, your food, the Olympic Village, the hotels. The media folks will be in there building their studios....”

Pound encouraged athletes to keep training. About 11,000 are expected for the Olympics, which open July 24, and 4,400 are bound for the Paralympics, which open Aug. 25.

“As far as we all know, you’re going to be in Tokyo,” Pound said. “All indications are at this stage that it will be business as usual. So keep focused on your sport and be sure that the IOC is not going to send you into a pandemic situation.”

The modern Olympics, which date to 1896, have been canceled only during wartime. The Olympics in 1940 were supposed to be in Tokyo but were called off because of Japan’s war with China and World War II. The Rio Games in Brazil went on as scheduled in 2016 despite the outbreak of the Zika virus.

https://apnews.com/58043910be7bdc6818344bdee2096bc2

The article discusses the issues with logistics of moving or postponing the Olympics as well, so let's hope that there's enough containment to let the Games take place.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#227 » by G R E Y » Wed Mar 4, 2020 7:45 pm

Ok, sounds like the powers that be are planning on with going ahead with the Olympics in Japan.

Full press conference:
Read on Twitter

The skinny:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Of course, it's a fluid situation, but they're expressing public confidence in making sure the Games go on at this point. Preparation is key:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#228 » by G R E Y » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:28 am

As the uncertainty surrounding the spread of the coronavirus hovers over the world, Golden State Warriors coach and Team USA assistant Steve Kerr said Tuesday that the staff must plan as if the Tokyo Olympics will go on as scheduled this summer.

"Pop and I have spoken a couple of times over the last week or so," Kerr said Tuesday during a conference call with reporters. "And everything's just up in the air. There's no sense of whether things are going to be delayed or anything. We're all kind of sitting here wondering what's going to happen, and so is the rest of the world. We're just going to plan as if this is going to happen, and we're going to try and put together a roster, and that's all we can do."

The leader of the IOC's coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics said this week that he remains confident that the event will go ahead as scheduled.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28919023/steve-kerr-team-usa-coaches-planning-tokyo

Preparing for eventualities even as things are up in the air. What they can control to whatever extent now is who they would like to be on the team. If the NBA season resumes sometime before July, then it will conflict with the Olympics if the Games are not rescheduled. If the following NBA season begins in December, and if Olympics are moved until after the current NBA season is done, then at least there would be no conflict. I know it's not that easy. Just speculating.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#229 » by G R E Y » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:17 pm

It's the right thing to do on multiple levels, not the least of which is people's health and protection. It gives all athletes adequate preparation. Trials and qualifications can be done in an appropriate time frame, too.

The Tokyo 2020 Olympics will be postponed after the coronavirus outbreak
The 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games are going to be postponed and set to take place in 2021, with the details to be figured out in the next month, as International Olympic Committee member Dick Pound told USA TODAY Sports Monday.

“On the basis of the information the IOC has, the postponement has been decided,” Pound told USA Today in a phone interview. “The parameters going forward have not been determined, but the Games are not going to start on July 24, that much I know. It will come in stages. We will postpone this and begin to deal with all the ramifications of moving this, which are immense.”

Pound’s comments came soon after IOC President Thomas Bach indicated that postponing the Tokyo Games would be a possibility. The details, as well as an official announcement, are expected to be released soon.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/olympic-games/1042855/2020-tokyo-olympics-will-be-postponed/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#230 » by G R E Y » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:51 pm

Looks like a postponement of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics is now official.

Olympic Games to be postponed for about one year
Japan’s Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe reveals agreement with International Committee President, Thomas Bach
The Tokyo Olympic Games will be postponed for about one year, said Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. The 2021 summer is the latest these Olympics could be held, he noted on Tuesday.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/olympic-games/1043150/olympic-games-to-be-postponed-for-about-one-year/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#231 » by G R E Y » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:54 pm

Update - some more details. Eliminating the potential overlap with a rescheduled NBA season is a huge benefit. I really hope this can somehow be possible to work out so that athletes have both the time to practice and spaced out windows within which to compete.
“I proposed to postpone for about a year and president Thomas Bach responded with 100% agreement,” mentioned Abe, “This will make it possible for athletes to play in the best condition, and will make the event a safe and secure one for spectators.”

The postponement of the Olympic Games directly affects basketball. Apart from the basketball tournament in Tokyo, the Qualifying Tournaments were supposed to take place in late June. Upon the rescheduling of the Olympic Games, new dates will likely be set accordingly.

Another view allows leagues in Europe and the rest of the world to potentially stretch their 2019-20 schedules deep into the summer without colliding with the Olympic Games, provided health concerns are lifted. Many competitions are currently temporarily suspended hoping for action to resume in the near future.

Joint statement from the International Olympic Committee and the Tokyo 2020 organising committee:
In the present circumstances and based on the information provided by the WHO today, the IOC President and the Prime Minister of Japan have concluded that the Games of the XXXII Olympiad in Tokyo must be rescheduled to a date beyond 2020 but not later than summer 2021, to safeguard the health of the athletes, everybody involved in the Olympic Games and the international community.

The leaders agreed that the Olympic Games in Tokyo could stand as a beacon of hope to the world during these troubled times and that the Olympic flame could become the light at the end of the tunnel in which the world finds itself at present. Therefore, it was agreed that the Olympic flame will stay in Japan. It was also agreed that the Games will keep the name Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/olympic-games/1043150/olympic-games-to-be-postponed-for-about-one-year/
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#232 » by G R E Y » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:34 am

Read on Twitter

And also - yes! :clap:
Jerry Colangelo and Gregg Popovich remain committed to Team USA into 2021 after the Tokyo Olympics were officially postponed.

"The commitments everyone made for 2020 are still there; we're all-in and we're committed," Colangelo said. "It's important to deal with the unknowns and this virus. This too shall pass, and we'll be back for everyone's well-being."

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/257674/Jerry-Colangelo-Gregg-Popovich-Remain-Committed-To-Team-USA-Through-2021

The original list of invitees may well be in flux for a variety of reasons - health, availability due to schedules and how deep a given team goes into the playoffs - but there is a big list of players that may also become available that wasn't before. I am happy about the turn of events, even if it means resetting things a bit. There's more time to plan it all out and make it happen.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#233 » by G R E Y » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:10 pm

:clap:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#234 » by G R E Y » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:25 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#235 » by G R E Y » Thu Jun 4, 2020 7:08 pm

:clap:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#236 » by G R E Y » Wed Oct 7, 2020 2:41 pm

Well with that December start date not looking like an option, Silver recently said that if the NBA starts late, it will not likely stop for the Olympics. What. A. Travesty. NBA knows more or less when it will start, knows when Olympics will start, has shown it can be flexible and have the league respond to changes, yet isn't going to bother at least trying to make Olympics accommodations?

This affects a large number of influential stars, both US and international, as well as many coaches and staff. I hope that that NBPA and the NBA Coaches Association push the NBA into working something out.

The Olympics are a tremendous international draw, all the more so with the pandemic stopping so much of everyday life. I think this upcoming one will be a turning point event and to have so many miss participating in it will be a mistake.

I feel bad for Pop who was put in a bit of a lame duck situation for the FIBA WC because of scheduling, and now may be in a lame duck situation for the Olympics. Still, I think at some point the Team USA powers that be will switch from 'WTF thanks for leaving us high and dry after all the effort to create continuity in the program' to 'screw you, we're giving it our all anyway'. But the NBA is certainly not facilitating it at this point, and that's surprising. It's a bad look in and of itself, and even more so with its public stance of listening to and supporting players and wanting to expand its global brand.

I wonder whether there's some quid pro quo going on in terms of reluctance to put the best effort forward. FIBA screwed the NBA with scheduling for the WC, and now the NBA doesn't seem to be very willing to bend its scheduling to accommodate the Olympics.

I am glad that the young Spurs showed so well in the bubble as at least that gives Pop and the team some stability and excitement to look forward to. It allows Pop a realistic chance at beating the winningest coach of all time record. But he and a number of other NBA coaches, assistant coaches, and staff, and of course so many players, are being put into a difficult bind.

Even if the NBA chooses to not take time off for the Olympics, Team USA can put together a good team from teams that will not make the playoffs, but again it will be a brand new team compared to the one that competed at the WC. Even if the Spurs make the playoffs, an assistant coach can take over during the time that Pop is at the Olympics like when Messina took over. But many other international teams really rely on NBA players to be competitive.

The NBA can and should do better: shorten the NBA season by ten games again, schedule the time off for the Olympics between the end of the regular season and start of the playoffs, allow players who want to go and participate to go and participate. Olympics is about the best competing against the best. I hope the NBA tries something to give adequate time and space for the best to be able to go and compete.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#237 » by G R E Y » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:41 pm

Details are rounding into form for Team USA at the Olympics:

Read on Twitter

Men’s Tournament draw results:

Group A
Iran
France
USA
OQT Victoria winner (Canada, China, Czech Republic, Greece, Turkey, Uruguay)

Group B
Australia
OQT Split winner (Brazil, Croatia, Germany, Mexico, Russia, Tunisia)
OQT Belgrade winner (Dominican Republic, Italy, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Senegal, Serbia)
Nigeria

Group C
Argentina
Japan
Spain
OQT Kaunas winner (Angola, Korea, Lithuania, Poland, Slovenia, Venezuela)

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/olympic-games/1164731/france-paired-with-usa-in-olympic-tournament-draw/
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#238 » by G R E Y » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#239 » by G R E Y » Sat May 22, 2021 7:15 pm

So that's Curry added to the roster :D
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#240 » by G R E Y » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:11 am

I so badly want a Steph and Dame back court and Tatum in the front court for Pop at the Olympics.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs