Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,896

Re: All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#721 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:13 pm

Wrestlers in the crowd..lol
Keep in mind that the WWE is doing their best to follow what the Government is suggesting and to not have more than 10 people around one another. The company is running one a limited bare crew at this point.

AEW doesn't seem to be taking the health of it's stars into account.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#722 » by Flames24Rulz » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:06 pm

Spens1 wrote:No show suffered more without a crowd than AEW, two massive debuts (and a debut match for another) and not a pindrop could be heard. That was rough and I feel for them to be honest.

Still was a very solid show regardless.

Yeah, that was basically my reaction too. I couldn't help but think of how big of a pop of those debuts would have gotten in front of a live crowd. I actually liked the Brodie reveal in front of nobody though -- kind of aligns with the Dark Order in a creepy, eerie feel. The announcers knocked it out of the park with the Hardy debut, at least, especially Taz.

It was funny to see how well of a show AEW was last night, and then NXT practically ran a two hour documentary. Can't wait to see what replay WWE uses to waste an hour of a two hour show tomorrow night!
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,278

Post#723 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:58 pm

HMFFL wrote:Wrestlers in the crowd..lol
Keep in mind that the WWE is doing their best to follow what the Government is suggesting and to not have more than 10 people around one another. The company is running one a limited bare crew at this point.

There’s still a presentation/broadcast to be delivered on TV, and having the wrestlers in the crowd added to the atmosphere(or added an atmosphere in general) and it out-did Raw/Smackdown from that perspective. Granted, there may have been additional risk by doing that, but there should be risk acknowledged on the WWE’s part as well. Either company ‘doing their best’ would be avoiding wrestling, contact, interviews altogether, a la virtually every other sport/form of entertainment.

There were several matches between raw and Smackdown this week, and several in-person, face to face, body contact segments also. Were there less people? Sure, but not to the point that one can get on their high horse about one company caring about the health of their performers and the other not.

For what it’s worth, that ‘10 people or less’ figure has been changing and inconsistent over the last week or so(though it seems to be the latest one) and even varies from state to state based on what officials were saying. Some reports were saying 25 or less, others 50 or less, some 250 and etc., depending on the jurisdiction(related to the size of the state/how many cases there were reported there). There was at most 20-25 people out there last night at any given time.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#724 » by improper » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:32 pm

HMFFL wrote:Wrestlers in the crowd..lol

WWE is necessarily being more careful because half of their marquee guys are in their sixties and more at risk. :lol:
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#725 » by Spens1 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:01 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:
Spens1 wrote:No show suffered more without a crowd than AEW, two massive debuts (and a debut match for another) and not a pindrop could be heard. That was rough and I feel for them to be honest.

Still was a very solid show regardless.

Yeah, that was basically my reaction too. I couldn't help but think of how big of a pop of those debuts would have gotten in front of a live crowd. I actually liked the Brodie reveal in front of nobody though -- kind of aligns with the Dark Order in a creepy, eerie feel. The announcers knocked it out of the park with the Hardy debut, at least, especially Taz.

It was funny to see how well of a show AEW was last night, and then NXT practically ran a two hour documentary. Can't wait to see what replay WWE uses to waste an hour of a two hour show tomorrow night!

Well NXT got smashed for it (like 582k vs the 923k AEW got for this week). AEW putting on a full show despite their being no fans definately benefited them on the ratings front.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#726 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:02 am

I ended up re-watching a bit of Dynamite because I enjoyed it so much, it was a real pleasant surprise, wasn't expecting much of a show at all... I didn't think we would receive a classic episode for awhile. Just makes me that much more confident in AEW.

Some thoughts that I want to throw in:

- I will never understand why WWE didn't push Cody Rhodes to the moon, he comes from a great wrestling lineage, a great looking guy, was a legit top high school wrestler in Georgia, went to school for acting, was born for wrestling and had every single thing you want to back it up. His promo along with the Elite felt emotional, really felt a way when Omega asked for the pyro/lights.

- MJF/Spears gambling bit gave me some good laughs, Schiavone made it that much better, I'm glad I get to see Tony perform because I never watched WCW growing up. Also a nice touch with the whole Brandi Rhodes' "never said she would never announce again" followed by the shrug. lol

- Chuck Taylor's "you want to kick my friend in the dick while his back his turned?" made me legit LOL, Dynamite's already given me plenty of laughs. Didn't care for the match but at least i'm interested in the Parking Lot Brawl.

- Women's match was meh, but I'm really digging Penelope Ford. Glad they're pushing Shida more. Shout out to Kip for helping put the females over too.

- Jungle Boy had a lot of mishaps, this was another meh match but love that AEW has the wrestlers at ringside so i'm still in it.

- Holy Sh*t... Brodie Lee...... marking out. Really wish there was a crowd but I can't complain

- Sammy Guevera's singing was awesome in a bad way, lol.... and I actually enjoyed this main event match along with Jericho's commentary, "waffle house menu" LMAO

- Holy Sh*t... Matt Hardy...... marking out. Really wish there was a crowd but I can't complain. Going to be honest, have no idea what the drone is about.
Thank you Clutch0z24
Dubious Handles
Sixth Man
And1: 3,860

Post#727 » by Dubious Handles » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:56 am

AirCanadaMouse wrote:I ended up re-watching a bit of Dynamite because I enjoyed it so much, it was a real pleasant surprise, wasn't expecting much of a show at all... I didn't think we would receive a classic episode for awhile. Just makes me that much more confident in AEW.

Some thoughts that I want to throw in:

- I will never understand why WWE didn't push Cody Rhodes to the moon, he comes from a great wrestling lineage, a great looking guy, was a legit top high school wrestler in Georgia, went to school for acting, was born for wrestling and had every single thing you want to back it up. His promo along with the Elite felt emotional, really felt a way when Omega asked for the pyro/lights.

- MJF/Spears gambling bit gave me some good laughs, Schiavone made it that much better, I'm glad I get to see Tony perform because I never watched WCW growing up. Also a nice touch with the whole Brandi Rhodes' "never said she would never announce again" followed by the shrug. lol

- Chuck Taylor's "you want to kick my friend in the dick while his back his turned?" made me legit LOL, Dynamite's already given me plenty of laughs. Didn't care for the match but at least i'm interested in the Parking Lot Brawl.

- Women's match was meh, but I'm really digging Penelope Ford. Glad they're pushing Shida more. Shout out to Kip for helping put the females over too.

- Jungle Boy had a lot of mishaps, this was another meh match but love that AEW has the wrestlers at ringside so i'm still in it.

- Holy Sh*t... Brodie Lee...... marking out. Really wish there was a crowd but I can't complain

- Sammy Guevera's singing was awesome in a bad way, lol.... and I actually enjoyed this main event match along with Jericho's commentary, "waffle house menu" LMAO

- Holy Sh*t... Matt Hardy...... marking out. Really wish there was a crowd but I can't complain. Going to be honest, have no idea what the drone is about.

The drone "Vanguard 1" is one of the house hardy members, basically Matt being a complete weirdo :lol:

Broken Matt is one of the most entertaining figures in wrestling imo, at least when he was in Impact wrestling and had complete control over his character.

Check the video out till 30 seconds in to see the house of hardy. They probably changed with time but I guess Vanguard 1 is still there.

tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#728 » by tugs » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:01 am

So pissed at myself when I searched for the recap and saw Matt in the thumbnail. If I didn't I would've marked out with Vanguard 1
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#729 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:42 pm

So I know a lot of us wish there was a crowd, but I was hearing the Talk is Jericho podcast, and the debut would not have been the same if there was a crowd. Apparently they wouldn’t be allowed to use a drone in certain arenas, Rochester wouldn’t allow it ... so we ended up getting Vanguard 1 because of this.

Jericho mentioned even though they could’ve done it outside , it played off much better in the ring. So it’s still neat that there’s a little silver lining to the new plans they had.

In a way, the pop will be even louder. the first show back with a crowd is going to be bananas.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Thank you Clutch0z24
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,941

Post#730 » by iMoreland » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:10 am

What's Brodie's ceiling in AEW? Is he World Champ material?
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#731 » by WRau1 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:57 am

iMoreland wrote:What's Brodie's ceiling in AEW? Is he World Champ material?

He's old and a former WWE guy so he'll probably get the belt sometime this year. Kidding. I think a lot depends on how this gimmick works out. Dark Order has an odd dynamic where you have a guy like Brodie, who is traditionally the muscle, is the leader. AEW is showing a lot of faith in him, something the WWE never really did despite some great tag battles vs the Usos and that random Intercontinental run. I'm pumped for it though, i'm a big Super Smash Bros (mainly Grayson)/Dark Order fan as well as Brodie fan.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#732 » by improper » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:18 am

WRau1 wrote:He's old and a former WWE guy so he'll probably get the belt sometime this year. Kidding. I think a lot depends on how this gimmick works out. Dark Order has an odd dynamic where you have a guy like Brodie, who is traditionally the muscle, is the leader. AEW is showing a lot of faith in him, something the WWE never really did despite some great tag battles vs the Usos and that random Intercontinental run. I'm pumped for it though, i'm a big Super Smash Bros (mainly Grayson)/Dark Order fan as well as Brodie fan.

The Dark Order have some really fun and unique double team moves. It helps set them apart from a lot of other tag teams.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#733 » by WRau1 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:30 pm

#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#734 » by improper » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:53 pm

I saw Cornette was enraged by that. :lol:
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,748

Post#735 » by Stanford » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:56 pm

improper wrote:

I saw Cornette was enraged by that. :lol:

Of course he was. The man responsible for revealing the magic trick to more marks than anyone else always gets upset when someone acknowledges wrestling isn't real.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,278

Post#736 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:41 am

Who’s the woman in the purple dress in the trailer/room cheering during the Omega/Sammy match?

..asking for a friend.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#737 » by bondom34 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:55 am

Jericho and Hardy doing a promo in 2020 is must see TV.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#738 » by bondom34 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:02 am

This had me dying.
Read on Twitter
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#739 » by tugs » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:12 am

Le Champion inviting Vanguard1 to join IC had me
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#740 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:26 am

- Honestly think the segment went on too long, it had its bright spots like Jericho cutting a promo on a drone, but Matt was pretty repetitive so it felt a bit flat at the same time. They didn't need the full 10 minutes, but it was not bad by any means.

- I also enjoyed Cody on commentary for the most part, he had a few nice quips that made me laugh. His match with Havoc wasn't the best opener though, and it was an awkward sequence from commentary to entrance. I just can't get into Havoc tbh.

- Omega/Sammy was a great match, but I really hope Sammy gets a clean win over a true main eventer sooner or later.

- Now the exalted one is all dressed up in nice suits eating steaks? I don't know....Need to give it time to unfold but it's a bit confusing from a character standpoint. Yes you want to establish him as a heel, but a bit of a strange way to do so.

- Feel like they grouped too many debuts together: Hardy, Archer, and Brodie Lee all need to make a big impact to stand out. I enjoy Jake as the manager, but this feels lost in the shuffle now

- Loved that Darby Allin video, I'm really enjoying them more and more each week. I dig his character a ton but it definitely feeds off the live crowd the most. I like Kip, but it would've probably been best to have used to him to further the Colt Cabana story line rather than take a loss in a throw away match with no backstory.

- I'm all for a Hager vs. Moxley world title match in the future, it progresses the inner circle feud with Moxley, and it makes sense considering how legit Hager is in real life and how AEW has been building him up, helps put over Moxley as a strong champion with a defense. Wasn't even expecting to see him tonight, good call by AEW to have this feud.

All in all thy did their best with what they have and I appreciate it. I miss the crowd, and clearly the quality of the show suffers from it, becomes more apparent with no wrestlers at ringside. First hour felt like a throw away but the second hour was pretty solid with Omega/Sammy and Jericho/Hardy. Average at best, they still need to build feuds rather than have throw away matches.
Thank you Clutch0z24

Return to Pro Wrestling