CoVid Check in / update..... or 'Where is Paul Panks?'

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,163

CoVid Check in / update..... or 'Where is Paul Panks?' 

Post#1 » by Frank Lee » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:40 pm

Dudes....Dude-ettes....Dude Jrs

Ive known some of you cyberly for quite sometime now. Met a few in flesh. Yall been a source of information and a trove of entertainment. Just feel like we ought to keep abreast of whats going on....with each other. Crazy times. No getting around it. Hard to figure out whats going on... but I'd like to know how things are elsewhere with some of you/whoever if you want to share. Weirdly, I consider a few of you friends, sight unseen. Not much else to talk about is there ?

Frank Lee
Lake Havasu, AZ
50000 people, at least half over 60. 1 hospital, 191 beds. (we could be screwed) Main street has 5 gunshops, 4 barbershops, 3 martial art studios, 2 tatoo parlors, and 1 cupcake store. The golf course I play sports 9 T-Rump flags. Its old and white here. A lot of affluence... retirees, second homes. Snowbirds all have packed up mostly and Canadians have had to scurry home. An estimated 20k visitors any given winter month reside here. General vibe is giddy nervousness, slight anxiety and discussions center more around the political and economic/stock market impacts, with the recent 'get back open for business' sentiment popular... which is expected since I hang around a lot of old Trumpets at the golf course, and we've had no cases. * Nobody wearing masks (of course you cant buy them), very little concern with hand sanitizer. and the social distancing. Kind of a glass bubble effect going on here.

Sort of an isolated town, but currently on round two of the springbreakers. First round estimated 500-1000 students poured into town. Fewer this week. But they are doing their thing, face palming the risks. I cant see how that is a good thing. Most bars, restaurants, businesses still open. Two weekends ago...if you can believe it... a local bar had a defiant Corona party' with over 150 in attendance. Was a run on the stores with, like a lot of places, shortages in some supplies. Preppers/RVers on full bug out as the surrounding desert (BLM land) very occupied...with a large amount you cant see. Ammo is hard to come by.

My pantry is full, bar is stocked, dispensary visited, and I'm reasonably armed. We will be sequestering comfortably. Tending to an 80+ yr old mum + step-pop. Im an old F-er too. Cant see this thing running its course without losing a few of my older buds and may be more...may be me. You can go down fast with this ****, and odds are this board isnt going unscathed.

Still here for now. Rock on and good luck.

* first case reported today. Its on Mofos
What ? Me Worry ?
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,166

Re: CoVid Check in / update..... or 'Where is Paul Panks?' 

Post#2 » by MrMiyagi » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:28 am

Frank Lee wrote:Weirdly, I consider a few of you friends, sight unseen.

Name names, you coward!

:wink:

To piggyback: overall, I'm doing good. Well-stocked on supplies, financially stable for the most part (though furloughed), and healthy. I'm not in the at-risk demographic, but I'm not taking any chances. Getting some time off of work has been nice as I was feeling a little stuck in a rut and looking to make some changes. Although any major changes are likely delayed, having time to reconnect to and re-examine my interests has been nice.

I'm currently reading through Carl Sagan's The Cosmic Connection for the first time (though it's sat on my shelf for far too long) and it's been a perfect antidote to the current craziness. The way he saw the interconnectedness of existence from atom to universe and every step in between, how he's both imaginative and factual, hopeful and pragmatic, understanding and critical - without being belittling; it is simultaneously enviable and yet he makes it all so tenable. I'm not even half-way done, but I already know this is going to be a go-to recommendation for me, and I'm looking forward to reading his other books.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Post#3 » by bigfoot » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:50 am

Heh! I'm alive and kicking in Cottonwood, AZ another retirement haven and home of the Trumpeteers. We have several camo'ed pickup trucks flying enormous American and Trump 2020 flags driving down main street on a regular basis. I must say the wine scene is pretty good in the area with a lot of nearby tasting rooms and wineries. Sadly they're closed up for tasting but still sell bottles. Eventually it will be a major liberalizing influence for the area.

I'm a bit closer to 60 than 50 but the COVID is still a bit daunting. Last year at exactly this time I spent 4 days in a coma/ICU unit on a ventilator and total of 12 days in the hospital. Doctors said I had a 25% chance of taking a dirt nap. Screwed up my last few weeks of fantasy basketball league for sure. My daughters are very concerned and I'm sure they would put me in a plastic bubble if they could.

I've been retired for six years so work/money isn't a big problem. November 2019 I had this real uneasy feeling about the stock market so I moved my portfolio to cash holdings. Never have I ever done that in my life and as I have always ridden out the market ups and downs. Guess I got lucky in that aspect of things.

Worried for the young folks out there furloughed or losing jobs. They need the bailout more than some of us old fogies. Hang tough folks and take care!!
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,427

Post#4 » by SunsRback4Good » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:03 am

Winkelman, AZ here. Everything was fine and dandy than people began dropping like flies and 2 weeks later everybody in my family is dead from the coronavirus and just me standing together with my dog, crunchy. I am not stocked with food or ammo but do have $275 and 3 credit cards. Might survive till New years or might not. My next door neighbor tried attacking me a few nights ago I got the upper hand and headlocked her and ran back home untouched and most importantly safe. I also spotted two cats running after each other was fascinating 17 seconds. Anyways, calling it a night and will tend to survive one more day.
DroughtsOverPHX
Junior
And1: 357

Post#5 » by DroughtsOverPHX » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:58 pm

Chandler, here. I'm a 62 yr old school teacher retiring this year and have had plenty of time to fill out my retirement paperwork. I really had not expected that when I said bye to kids before spring break that I would not see them in my classroom again. Of course there are people who believe school will resume in Arizona but I cannot see any time soon where people will be comfortable with classrooms of 30+ kids, cafeterias with 300+, sports events, graduation ceremonies etc. There would have to be hand sanitizer in every classroom, we'd have to lysol down the desks between classes -- life as we know it won't be the same for awhile. So, in my opinion, plan on your kids being home for at least the remainder of this year. Whomever has stock in Zoom or other online meeting platforms will make bank.

I'm fine though. My wife takes care of elderly so we need to be. We've got plenty, didn't feel compelled to hoard, have bidet's on both toilets, food and medical supplies. As much as I may have griped over the years about teacher pay in AZ, I am very lucky/blessed compared to many who are struggling now. Stay well and be patient. This could be a very useful reboot for our country.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#6 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:52 pm

40 yr old recruiter/headhunter in Chandler. Business is/will take a hit but others have it far worse so I'm not complaining. Have a 18 month and almost 5 yr old so it's a little chaotic in the house and they might drive my wife crazy lol. My oldest is very social and misses going to preschool and her friends. Overall she seems to somewhat understand what's going on but is disappointed her birthday party is cancelled and her grandmothers trip here to visit is postponed. Overall we're trying to make the best of things and getting out in nature on some hikes has been nice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Kyler Murray
Suns Forum Fantasy GOD
And1: 690

Post#7 » by Kyler Murray » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:05 pm

George 28 yo living in Greece, **** got serious really fast here since there was a lock down after just a few cases.

I was actually visiting my sister in London when all the craziness went down.
As a result, the day before my return flight the pos Greek government decided they don't want any Greeks coming from the UK, and when we said that there are many of us who don't have where to live since everybody is leaving homes and jobs to return to Greece their response was "we can't do anything about it". So, now I'm stuck in London for the foreseeable future.

We even tried calling the ministry of foreign affairs in Greece and they suggested us to take a certain flight that's gonna definitely land, special permit for the repatriation of Greeks.
750 pounds later and 3 hours before the flight guess what, Greek government cancelled the flight again. When we asked why they told us to take that flight they denied everything.
A day later they issued a stametent putting all the blame on the airline.

Health wise, all good.

Peace out suns family.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,696

Post#8 » by sunsbum » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:15 pm

Damn, they erased the entire thread. I had multiple people telling me millions of people were going to die. One guy said 35,000,000 worldwide. This whole thing is a half farce.
Flex is now your father.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#9 » by ATTL » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:18 am

Glendale, az
In my 30's
I work in insurance, I already worked from home before all this so my job isn't impacted by this.
My wife is a grade school teacher, she'll be teaching her class online starting next week.

My aunt and uncle in seattle tested positive. My uncle is in ICU, currently intubated. They put him on Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin and ceftrioxone but didn't see improvement. He got worse last night until they flipped him onto his stomach and he seems to be breathing better now.

I have enough food to last a couple months if I need to dip into it. I'm going to the store tomorrow to stock up so I hopefully don't need to dip into the stock soon.

I was looking to move out to Tennessee this summer on 10+ acres. Moving during this seems unlikely.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#10 » by cberry78 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:29 am

Glendale, AZ, wrong side of 40 (barely).

Am in the middle of a career change and was working delivery while I searched for something else, had to quit that when we were told we weren't allowed to wear masks or gloves. Entire family has asthma, including myself, so had to make the choice that health is more important than job. Have enough on reserve to make it until the end of May before things get desperate, hopefully things will clear up by then.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Post#11 » by bigfoot » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:40 pm

sunsbum wrote:Damn, they erased the entire thread. I had multiple people telling me millions of people were going to die. One guy said 35,000,000 worldwide. This whole thing is a half farce.

During the spanish flu in 1918, 30% of the world was infected and 50 million people died out of a world population of 1.8 billion. With 7.8 billion people in the world, the ease of global mobility, and dense population centers, if 70% became infected and 1% die that's 55 million people. Of course overtaxed hospitals would mean a higher death rate like in Spain and Italy which are closer to 10% mortality rate. RIght now the US is pushing a 2% death rate. Unchecked by ignoring social distancing, 35 million wouldn't seem unreasonable. It's called Covid analytics.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#12 » by cberry78 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:24 pm

bigfoot wrote:
sunsbum wrote:Damn, they erased the entire thread. I had multiple people telling me millions of people were going to die. One guy said 35,000,000 worldwide. This whole thing is a half farce.

During the spanish flu in 1918, 30% of the world was infected and 50 million people died out of a world population of 1.8 billion. With 7.8 billion people in the world, the ease of global mobility, and dense population centers, if 70% became infected and 1% die that's 55 million people. Of course overtaxed hospitals would mean a higher death rate like in Spain and Italy which are closer to 10% mortality rate. RIght now the US is pushing a 2% death rate. Unchecked by ignoring social distancing, 35 million wouldn't seem unreasonable. It's called Covid analytics.
I just feel the need to say that that 2% death rate is probably an over inflated number due to the lack of actual tests being administered. I know two separate people (who are unrelated) who have been told, "yeah, you probably have it, just self quarantine and let us know if you get bad."

Unless they test everyone for the antibodies when this is all said and done, we'll never know the true number of infected v. uninfected.

And, no, I'm not trying to downplay this pandemic or the seriousness of the situation (I'm essentially quarantined now for my family's sake), we just have no idea what the real numbers are going to be (probably higher than not), and we have no clue what the long term affects are going to be (ie health wise, socially, economically, etc.)

Sent from my moto e5 play using RealGM mobile app
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,163

Post#13 » by Frank Lee » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:24 am

My wife is a grade school teacher, she'll be teaching her class online starting next week.

Yo Attl... what grade level ? ... I wondered if that was going to be implemented. seems like it was an obvious solution/alternative. I have a few friends with kids who are seniors... and boy are their mommas upset they're missing prom and graduation. The kids? not so much

The count is now 4 in this town. Slight concern and murmurs
What ? Me Worry ?
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#14 » by ATTL » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:47 am

Frank Lee wrote:

Yo Attl... what grade level ? ... I wondered if that was going to be implemented. seems like it was an obvious solution/alternative. I have a few friends with kids who are seniors... and boy are their mommas upset they're missing prom and graduation. The kids? not so much

The count is now 4 in this town. Slight concern and murmurs

5th grade, kids definitely seem to be embracing it. Self study from the kids and they call the teacher if they have questions during office hours.
I would have loved sleeping late and self study as a kid.

I was a latchkey kid anyway so being home alone wouldn't have been weird.

Parents seem to be taking it well so far.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,696

Post#15 » by sunsbum » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:46 am

cberry78 wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

I just feel the need to say that that 2% death rate is probably an over inflated number due to the lack of actual tests being administered. I know two separate people (who are unrelated) who have been told, "yeah, you probably have it, just self quarantine and let us know if you get bad."

Unless they test everyone for the antibodies when this is all said and done, we'll never know the true number of infected v. uninfected.

And, no, I'm not trying to downplay this pandemic or the seriousness of the situation (I'm essentially quarantined now for my family's sake), we just have no idea what the real numbers are going to be (probably higher than not), and we have no clue what the long term affects are going to be (ie health wise, socially, economically, etc.)

They are turning people away left and right here in Oregon because their symptoms "aren't strong enough", but you can bet your last dollar they are chalking down every last person that has died from the virus. How can any number ANYWHERE be accurate if they aren't recording people they have sent home that DID have it and recovered?
Flex is now your father.
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#16 » by hollywood6964 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:43 am

sunsbum wrote:
cberry78 wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

They are turning people away left and right here in Oregon because their symptoms "aren't strong enough", but you can bet your last dollar they are chalking down every last person that has died from the virus. How can any number ANYWHERE be accurate if they aren't recording people they have sent home that DID have it and recovered?

I've been saying this from the start, and of course wasn't a popular opinion. And how about the people who get no symptoms, or very mild, hell even moderate that just rode it out, a lot even before testing was prevalent. And considering the consensus is MOST CASES are categorized into this section, the realistic death rate is probably comparable to the flu once a vaccine is present. Even without, I'd imagine the .1 (flu) is probably more like .2 or .3 (covid-19).
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,413

Post#17 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:05 am

hollywood6964 wrote:
sunsbum wrote:
cberry78 wrote:I just feel the need to say that that 2% death rate is probably an over inflated number due to the lack of actual tests being administered. I know two separate people (who are unrelated) who have been told, "yeah, you probably have it, just self quarantine and let us know if you get bad."

I've been saying this from the start, and of course wasn't a popular opinion. And how about the people who get no symptoms, or very mild, hell even moderate that just rode it out, a lot even before testing was prevalent. And considering the consensus is MOST CASES are categorized into this section, the realistic death rate is probably comparable to the flu once a vaccine is present. Even without, I'd imagine the .1 (flu) is probably more like .2 or .3 (covid-19).

Yes, there are probably a lot who have it since they need to preserve tests for those with bad symptoms. Heck, I think I had it a couple weeks ago since my chest felt like it was going to explode and coughing hurt like hell in the chest and breathing in cold air was painful...coughed up some blood.

So yeah, the death rate is probably like 1% or maybe slightly higher but the worst part about it is all the people who had mild symptoms walk around, pass it on, and it hits the vulnerable. A lot of deaths probably were not recorded as well because they didn't test a lot of dead people and a lot likely died and it was recorded as something else because they had those underlying conditions that couldn't hold up.

The deaths of recorded cases is rising rapidly daily as well and before long it will probably hit 1,000 deaths a day in the U.S.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,809

Post#18 » by Saberestar » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:11 am

Here in Spain we are close to 1,000 deaths a day (838 today, 832 yesterday) and we are a relatively small country (46M). And we are confined already for two weeks.

People around the world really do not know what type of virus they are facing... it is an invisible monster. It can do a serious damage to your lungs. Scientifics are studying that damage in the long run... does not look good.

I think that hospitals will collapse on a lot of countries... and everyone wants to live. It is in our nature...old or young...you want to live. It is gonna be tough.

Who cares about numbers or percentages when is your dad, your friend, your uncle or yourself who is suffering or dying. The worst part is when you put names and faces to these numbers...this is a really bad feeling and new for most of us.

Take care and respect all the rules to try to improve the situation. It is a must to try to avoid the spreading.

I am sorry to write such a negative post...for the most time I stay positive.

I hope it gets better.
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#19 » by hollywood6964 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:24 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:
sunsbum wrote: They are turning people away left and right here in Oregon because their symptoms "aren't strong enough", but you can bet your last dollar they are chalking down every last person that has died from the virus. How can any number ANYWHERE be accurate if they aren't recording people they have sent home that DID have it and recovered?

Yes, there are probably a lot who have it since they need to preserve tests for those with bad symptoms. Heck, I think I had it a couple weeks ago since my chest felt like it was going to explode and coughing hurt like hell in the chest and breathing in cold air was painful...coughed up some blood.

So yeah, the death rate is probably like 1% or maybe slightly higher but the worst part about it is all the people who had mild symptoms walk around, pass it on, and it hits the vulnerable. A lot of deaths probably were not recorded as well because they didn't test a lot of dead people and a lot likely died and it was recorded as something else because they had those underlying conditions that couldn't hold up.

The deaths of recorded cases is rising rapidly daily as well and before long it will probably hit 1,000 deaths a day in the U.S.

Yeah like I said before, I likely had it too. But deaths are being recorded at a more precise level for this than anything else I've seen as far as a flu-like virus goes. They usually only estimate, like with the flu they just figure just about everybody gets it, so they say .1% death rate. They are actually testing everyone who wants it for this, and only reporting confirmed cases to deaths, and then saying it's 30x worse than the flu- because just look at the numbers! Like I've been saying from the start, it's not an equal comparison for the reasons stated.

When this is all over, as I've been saying from the start, the estimated figures I presented that some on here freaked out about, will be more right than wrong, and all this 3-4% when figuring in the estimated cases (like the flu), will be out the window.

I bring up #'s because the u.s. has lost about 25k form the flu since the start of the season, about 2k to cv-19, and we were at 18k for the flu when we were around 100 for cv-19. My point is no matter how someone dies, it's all important, but keeping things in perspective is important as well.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#20 » by Fo-Real » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:25 pm

Buckeye Az, almost mid 40's. I'm in the middle of this ****, both my wife and I work at Hospitals in different capacities. Trying to avoid getting but really doubt I can, just hoping our immune systems are up to snuff and we are the part of the population that it presents as just flu or less. **** sucks, not like either of us can just refuse to go to work ( that would be wrong), but going to work exposes you to this thing. Riding it out man!

Return to Phoenix Suns