Semi-OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread V (Read Post 1 & FAQ)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,096

Re: Semi-OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread V (Read Post 1 & FAQ) 

Post#901 » by Dirk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:09 pm

LKN wrote:
Dirk wrote:
LKN wrote:
I'd be interested to see their positive test rate.... wondering if it's been fairly consistent or if it's gone down at all

the black line is the % of infected detected by the tests made on that day (grey bar) (red bar = number of positives)

% of recent days
today 16.8

They're still grasping at straws to find positives.

That's a pretty high positive rate still right? I've heard some health experts mention some rough thresholds that mean you are "testing enough" and IIRC it was lower than that (although the fact that i's going down is a good sign).

Here, you can see it graphically.

Lime = that is the average % positive cases (total positives/total tests)
Dark green: that is the dialy % positive cases (daily positives/daily tests)
60/21/10
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,377

Post#902 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:12 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Just pathetic.

America is a meat grinder and I doubt much will change.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using RealGM mobile app
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,749

Post#903 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:14 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Richfield wrote:Must see from Cuomo..

from 2 days ago, missed this..

Goes off a little bit, haven't seen him like that before..

FEMA says we're sending 400 ventilators

Really!?..What am I going with 400 ventilators?..

When I need 30,000!!

YOU PICK THE 26,000 PEOPLE THAT ARE GOING TO DIE

because you only sent 400 ventilators!

I think he means 29,600

I was watching that live and saw that too, obviously we all know what he meant. But the more important number I was really curious about was the '1-2%' of the population that he said we were all doing this for. I think perhaps he is trying not to panic the population, but I would have to think the percentage of our population that is vulnerable to serious or fatal COVID-19 symptoms is significantly higher than 1-2%.

I am thinking, how many people are 70+, are suffering from some for of asthma, are recovering cancer patients, are diabetic or significantly obese, or have other immune system complications. Even just the elderly portion is far higher than 1-2%.

You can argue for a different age cutoff as being vulnerable, maybe 75 or 80, or maybe younger than 70. If I was 60 or 65+ I would definitely consider myself vulnerable, unless I was some super-athlete marathon runner type.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,749

Post#904 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:25 pm

Here's another article about what's happening, and why the Defense Production Act or at the very least more leadership or involvement from fed government is needed IMO:

In interviews with participants in the process, from business executives to government officials, there is still widespread confusion about how much and what exactly each firm is supposed to produce. Corporate executives say they face a bewildering number of requests from dozens of nations around the world, along with governors and mayors around the country, for scarce supplies. The White House has not said who will set the priority list for deliveries. And it is not clear that any of it will arrive in time for the cities and the states that are hit the hardest, including New York.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/us/politics/coronavirus-trump-defense-production-act.html
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,483

Post#905 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:26 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Richfield wrote:Must see from Cuomo..

from 2 days ago, missed this..

Goes off a little bit, haven't seen him like that before..

I think he means 29,600

I was watching that live and saw that too, obviously we all know what he meant. But the more important number I was really curious about was the '1-2%' of the population that he said we were all doing this for. I think perhaps he is trying not to panic the population, but I would have to think the percentage of our population that is vulnerable to serious or fatal COVID-19 symptoms is significantly higher than 1-2%.

I am thinking, how many people are 70+, are suffering from some for of asthma, are recovering cancer patients, are diabetic or significantly obese, or have other immune system complications. Even just the elderly portion is far higher than 1-2%.

You can argue for a different age cutoff as being vulnerable, maybe 75 or 80, or maybe younger than 70. If I was 60 or 65+ I would definitely consider myself vulnerable, unless I was some super-athlete marathon runner type.

It always depends on how you look at it. If you are going to use %s of the population it would impact in a serious way, you'd have to know what % would be infected. So it would be easier to start with a projection of 100% infection rate.

So then you could say, maybe 2.5% have serious issues, and anywhere from 1-2% of those die, depending on hospital capacity.

Right now it worldometer says 5% of confirmed patients are in serious or critical condition, but of course only people with severe symptoms are being tested, so that # would have to be high.

I think it's just hard to speak in general terms. We all know around the age of 70 and higher, death rates start to go way up, and to a lesser extent in the 60s, and even lesser in the 50s. But then you have others with underlying conditions and maybe others withut underlying conditions.

I do wonder if the virus just kind of randomly hits people in different ways. Like if someone has slightly elevated blood pressure due to stress and then they start to get more anxiety, then they catch the virus, and the stress and anxiety skyrockets and it just compounds even though they didn't really have what people would really call hypertension in the first place. Now I don't know if blood pressure can increase THAT much due to stress and anxiety, but I imagine there are many unique cases that are hard to explain because there were not any known underlying conditions.
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#907 » by Richfield » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:38 pm

Somebody posted that NY was sent 4,000 vents. That squares up what Cuomo was probably intending to say in that clip. (He said 26,000 in it). Thank you to the poster for the correction, I replied but don't see it now. Also there was nothing convenient about any of those numbers, which is the point. Thanks again for getting the numbers corrected.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Post#908 » by zimpy27 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:39 pm

The virus is bringing out some flaws in society. To put it mildly.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,096

Post#909 » by Dirk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:43 pm

zimpy27 wrote:

I want to see them doing that in India
Read on Twitter
60/21/10
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#910 » by LKN » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:43 pm

Michigan, New Jersey, and Louisiana deaths are getting pretty scary - given how much less they've tested than NY
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#911 » by Richfield » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:45 pm

So there will probably be a day years from now when they know more about the virus, when they summarize numbers and come up with an "infection rate".

How will that ultimately be determined? For those who don't show symptoms and then recover before they're ever tested. And let's pretend there's no way to test for whether you've ever had it (antibodies or whatever). How do these folks get factored into the overall infection rate?

Are they counted as not infected or not counted at all? Both are inaccurate, just wondering how the pros manage that quandary.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#912 » by MotownMadness » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:50 pm

Richfield wrote:So there will probably be a day years from now when they know more about the virus, when they summarize numbers and come up with an "infection rate".

How will that ultimately be determined? For those who don't show symptoms and then recover before they're ever tested. And let's pretend there's no way to test for whether you've ever had it (antibodies or whatever). How do these folks get factored into the overall infection rate?

Are they counted as not infected or not counted at all? Both are inaccurate, just wondering how the pros manage that quandary.

Theres so many infected that arent included in these. Like i said a couple days ago with my friend who was showing all the bad symptoms of 104 temp, extreme aches and fatigue.

The hospital here basically told him they wouldnt take him or test him without shortness of breath and too just stay home quarantined.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#913 » by MotownMadness » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:53 pm

Dirk wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Read on Twitter

I hate to laugh in a crisis but wow. They are just going around handing out ass whoopins to idiots.
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#914 » by NY 567 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:02 pm

I know this probably isn't a popular thing to say at this point in time, but I'm pretty worried about how much of our civil liberties we've just given away. Being safe is important, but so is being free. I don't like the idea of the government having and exercising all of this power. While I don't deny the existence of this disease whatsoever, it feels like fear is being used as a tool to increase the power and scope of government.
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#915 » by Richfield » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:11 pm

NY 567 wrote:I know this probably isn't a popular thing to say at this point in time, but I'm pretty worried about how much of our civil liberties we've just given away. Being safe is important, but so is being free. I don't like the idea of the government having and exercising all of this power. While I don't deny the existence of this disease whatsoever, it feels like fear is being used as a tool to increase the power and scope of government.

Can you be more specific?

There is a lot of BS in the bill.

Which part are you posting about?
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#916 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:19 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:Here's another article about what's happening, and why the Defense Production Act or at the very least more leadership or involvement from fed government is needed IMO:

In interviews with participants in the process, from business executives to government officials, there is still widespread confusion about how much and what exactly each firm is supposed to produce. Corporate executives say they face a bewildering number of requests from dozens of nations around the world, along with governors and mayors around the country, for scarce supplies. The White House has not said who will set the priority list for deliveries. And it is not clear that any of it will arrive in time for the cities and the states that are hit the hardest, including New York.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/us/politics/coronavirus-trump-defense-production-act.html

Coordination is so important and the lack of it its been displayed in full fashion.
aka: prorl
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,377

Post#917 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:22 pm

Medical workers in NY supposedly now have enough PPE for the foreseeable future. LFG if true.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using RealGM mobile app
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#918 » by MotownMadness » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:24 pm

I think the game changer would be if those infected cant get it again. Then you could do like some drs were saying and take the anti-bodies of recovered persons blood to fight the newly infected.
Ainosterhaspie
Starter
And1: 2,231

Post#919 » by Ainosterhaspie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:25 pm

I represent parents who have had their children removed by the department of social services, sometimes not because anything bad has happened, but because there is a concern that something bad may eventually happen if they don't make changes (most often substance use is the concern). It is frighteningly easy to remove a child.

The court here has just ordered the end of in person supervised and unsupervised visits until the end of April. No hearing; it's just ordered.

There are real, damaging consequences to the limitations that have been put in place. I'm not saying we shouldn't take significant measures to control the spread, but there is very real suffering being inflicted on people and we need to look at how to effectively move away from heavy handed blanket restrictions.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,289

Post#920 » by MrGoat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:28 pm

Dirk wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Read on Twitter

For the woman here I think a Singaporean style caning is more in order, she wouldn't be able to sit for weeks.

Return to The General Board