Semi-OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread V (Read Post 1 & FAQ)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,902

Re: Semi-OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread V (Read Post 1 & FAQ) 

Post#921 » by Dirk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:28 pm

MotownMadness wrote: I hate to laugh in a crisis.

niQ wrote:Keep
Calm
and
Stay
Inside

What was Justin Trudeau telling the nation today? I only saw this bit,
60/21/10
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#922 » by Richfield » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:29 pm

Shout out to anybody stepping up to help our healthcare workers!!!

I love the "We can sew!" attitude in humanity.

It is highlighted here in the first few minutes of this early 1900's historical documentary..

Ainosterhaspie
Starter
And1: 2,231

Post#923 » by Ainosterhaspie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:34 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:Here's another article about what's happening, and why the Defense Production Act or at the very least more leadership or involvement from fed government is needed IMO:

In interviews with participants in the process, from business executives to government officials, there is still widespread confusion about how much and what exactly each firm is supposed to produce. Corporate executives say they face a bewildering number of requests from dozens of nations around the world, along with governors and mayors around the country, for scarce supplies. The White House has not said who will set the priority list for deliveries. And it is not clear that any of it will arrive in time for the cities and the states that are hit the hardest, including New York.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/us/politics/coronavirus-trump-defense-production-act.html

Coordination is so important and the lack of it its been displayed in full fashion.

There is a delicate balance where if things are too tightly controlled from the top, then flexibility and the ability to quickly innovate is lost. That's in large part why test iij ng turned into a fiasco.

I'm not saying more control wouldn't help, just trying to point out that it does have a downside. Invoking the act doesn't instantaneously produce things that aren't there. Many companies are already retool iij ng to produce what is needed making the act unnecessary at least with respect to those companies.

It's a heavy handed tool that should be used sparingly.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Post#924 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:39 pm

Ainosterhaspie wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:Here's another article about what's happening, and why the Defense Production Act or at the very least more leadership or involvement from fed government is needed IMO:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/us/politics/coronavirus-trump-defense-production-act.html

Coordination is so important and the lack of it its been displayed in full fashion.

There is a delicate balance where if things are too tightly controlled from the top, then flexibility and the ability to quickly innovate is lost. That's in large part why test iij ng turned into a fiasco.

I'm not saying more control wouldn't help, just trying to point out that it does have a downside. Invoking the act doesn't instantaneously produce things that aren't there. Many companies are already retool iij ng to produce what is needed making the act unnecessary at least with respect to those companies.

We are in an emergency situation, its there was a time to use it its now.
aka: prorl
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,199

Post#925 » by Childs » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:40 pm

Dirk wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: I hate to laugh in a crisis.

niQ wrote:Keep
Calm
and
Stay
Inside

What was Justin Trudeau telling the nation today? I only saw this bit,

ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,751

Post#926 » by ROballer » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:53 pm

Haven't had the chance to check up the corona threads as much lately, don't know if it was talked about yet.

But looking up globally, Turkey is gonna erupt.
They had 1 case on March 12(two weeks ago). They have 3629 cases as of today, 1196 in the last 24 hours.
They held soccer games with public(and we all know how they get down there) as soon as two weeks ago, disaster waiting to happen.

Their early curve blows everyone's out of the water, Italy's looking like a little kid compared.
Big population too, things are not looking good.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,946

Post#927 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:55 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
Ainosterhaspie wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:

We are in an emergency situation, its there was a time to use it its now.

Yup, if you're not gonna use it for *checks notes* a global pandemic that has already spread to pretty much every corner and is threatening the world economy, then when the hell would you? Alien invasion? Nuclear holocaust? Especially after you've already dropped the ball with more than two months of advanced warning, and you STILL aren't taking this seriously with ridiculous speculation about packed churches on Easter.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,946

Post#928 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:59 pm

ROballer wrote:Haven't had the chance to check up the corona threads as much lately, don't know if it was talked about yet.

They had 1 case on March 12(two weeks ago). They have 3629 cases as of today, 1196 in the last 24 hours.
They held soccer games with public(and we all know how they get down there) as soon as two weeks ago, disaster waiting to happen.

Their early curve blows everyone's out of the water, Italy's looking like a little kid compared.

As decisive as they acted when presented with reality, I've got a sinking feeling the NBA still wasn't fast enough to shut games down. You're seeing an explosion in LA almost certainly due to Mardis Gras, and I think that was well before March 11, when the OKC-UTA game was postponed. That's one of the frustrating things about this; you know a tsunami is coming, but our data and information is so woefully inadequate to make much more than educated guesses.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,902

Post#929 » by Dirk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:05 pm

Video of Curry interviewing Dr Fauci

MotownMadness wrote:I think the game changer would be if those infected cant get it again. Then you could do like some drs were saying and take the anti-bodies of recovered persons blood to fight the newly infected.

"One of the most popular questions I get from people is, what does it mean to be recovered?" Curry asked. "Can you get it a second time?"

Fauci said specific testing hasn't been done yet to determine whether re-infection is possible but said if COVID-19 acts like other viruses he tracks, it likely won't happen. He said health officials will have to develop testing or guidelines for when it is safe to resume normal life after being infected.

"There's a dichotomy between people who are frightened to death and people who don't even believe it," Fauci said. "It's not convenient to lock yourself in, it's not convenient for you [Curry] to not be playing basketball ... but we're going through a time when we have to pull together as a country to not get intimidated and do the kinds of things that can put an end to it."
60/21/10
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,266

Post#930 » by Nuntius » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:06 pm

ROballer wrote:Haven't had the chance to check up the corona threads as much lately, don't know if it was talked about yet.

I don't believe that they only had 1 case on March 12. I believe that Erdogan tried to do what China did and shut down any information about possible Covid-19 cases early on.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Durant Durant
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,094

Post#931 » by Durant Durant » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:08 pm

I started hanging Christmas lights in my work-from-home area. New fad to counter 'depression'.
No no yes yes
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,217

Post#932 » by bisme37 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:11 pm

Trump team failed to follow NSC’s pandemic playbook

The Trump administration, state officials and even individual hospital workers are now racing against each other to get the necessary masks, gloves and other safety equipment to fight coronavirus — a scramble that hospitals and doctors say has come too late and left them at risk. But according to a previously unrevealed White House playbook, the government should’ve begun a federal-wide effort to procure that personal protective equipment at least two months ago.

“Is there sufficient personal protective equipment for healthcare workers who are providing medical care?” the playbook instructs its readers, as one early decision that officials should address when facing a potential pandemic. “If YES: What are the triggers to signal exhaustion of supplies? Are additional supplies available? If NO: Should the Strategic National Stockpile release PPE to states?”

The strategies are among hundreds of tactics and key policy decisions laid out in a 69-page National Security Council playbook on fighting pandemics, which POLITICO is detailing for the first time. Other recommendations include that the government move swiftly to fully detect potential outbreaks, secure supplemental funding and consider invoking the Defense Production Act — all steps in which the Trump administration lagged behind the timeline laid out in the playbook.

“Each section of this playbook includes specific questions that should be asked and decisions that should be made at multiple levels” within the national security apparatus, the playbook urges, repeatedly advising officials to question the numbers on viral spread, ensure appropriate diagnostic capacity and check on the U.S. stockpile of emergency resources.

The playbook also stresses the significant responsibility facing the White House to contain risks of potential pandemics, a stark contrast with the Trump administration’s delays in deploying an all-of-government response and President Donald Trump's recent signals that he might roll back public health recommendations.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-team-failed-nsc-pandemic-000023392.html
ROballer
General Manager

Post#933 » by ROballer » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:16 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:

As decisive as they acted when presented with reality, I've got a sinking feeling the NBA still wasn't fast enough to shut games down. You're seeing an explosion in LA almost certainly due to Mardis Gras, and I think that was well before March 11, when the OKC-UTA game was postponed. That's one of the frustrating things about this; you know a tsunami is coming, but our data and information is so woefully inadequate to make much more than educated guesses.

Well yeah, everyone's talking about the Atalanta-Valencia Champions League game, held on February 19th in Milan.
The game basically crippled two countries, since there were 2000 spanish fans who flew in to Italy to the game and brought the virus home when they returned. We all know the Northern Italy and Bergamo surge, which happened after the game. But there was also a surge in Spain in the Valencia area which is largely attributed to those fans who came back from Milan, which was already a high risk location at that time.

I saw you posted something about Churches and Easter. I hope it gets canceled because it will be a straight slaughter.

We are christian orthodox here in Romania, we hold the Easter one week after you guys, and it was already canceled. People are not allowed to go to church under any circumstances for more than a week already, some of the priests are streaming the mass online in an empty church and that's about it.

You(american goverment) should check the story of Patient 31 from South Korea, a superspreader who I think most of the guys here heard about(story was posted multiple times). A single female almost crippled all of their valiant efforts, infecting directly or indirectly 1200 people by going to a packed church while carrying the virus.

I'm not a religious guy, I think faith is important to many, but don't risk someone else's life for it.

Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#934 » by Richfield » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:19 pm

Ainosterhaspie wrote:
Richfield wrote:
Ainosterhaspie wrote:There is a delicate balance where if things are too tightly controlled from the top, then flexibility and the ability to quickly innovate is lost. That's in large part why test iij ng turned into a fiasco.

How many people do you want to die in the name of innovation?

The problem is known. Solutions are in front of our faces. But you want to let some folks die first to enhance the opportunity for "innovation"???

This is a crisis. Innovation can be inspired from it regardless.

But you don't create more problems by not using the tools in front of you, in favor of hoping for a different tool that hasn't been "innovated" yet. Come on man. These are lives at stake NOW. There are tools available NOW. YESTERDAY. LAST MONTH.

Well honestly I'm hoping at least 10s of millions die. Isn't that obvious from everything I've said. Clearly any hint of a view different than yours is moronic, ignorant and evil. Any thought of nuance and weighing pros and cons is so intensely irrational, so much so that it defies reason. Perhaps it's time I close my mouth and listen to my sanctimonious betters here who spend 90% of their time with criticisms and repeating themselves incessantly and pushing an agenda.

You are not a victim here. This isn't about you. Toughen up.

Basically asking how long you're willing to wait when you have part of a solution in front of your face.

X amount is needed.

Tool A has a sure capability of approaching or achieving X in a certain amount of time.

Tool B is an unknown that may produce more or less than X in an unknown amount of time.

This is a crisis. Lives at stake.

You can choose A and B.

Or you can choose just B.

You're advocating for just choosing B.

I just don't get your math.
ROballer
General Manager

Post#935 » by ROballer » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:19 pm

Nuntius wrote:

I don't believe that they only had 1 case on March 12. I believe that Erdogan tried to do what China did and shut down any information about possible Covid-19 cases early on.

I have the same feeling but that's the official input. They were still holding packed games less than two weeks ago, while most of the other european countries have suspended their seasons.
They were very late in instoring some kind of quarantine/rules and they will pay for it.

Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,266

Post#936 » by Nuntius » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:22 pm

ROballer wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

I have the same feeling but that's the official input. They were still holding packed games less than two weeks ago, while most of the other european countries have suspended their seasons.
They were very late in instoring some kind of quarantine/rules and they will pay for it.

Leaders usually don't pay for these kind of things but, unfortunately, the people of Turkey will :(
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
ROballer
General Manager

Post#937 » by ROballer » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:29 pm

Nuntius wrote:
ROballer wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Leaders usually don't pay for these kind of things but, unfortunately, the people of Turkey will :(

Yeah, that's what I meant, the people. :cry:

I think only the virus has a chance to touch Erdogan, not anything else. But hey, Fatih Terim has it, it wouldn't even be that surprising.

wayoftheroad
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,808

Post#938 » by wayoftheroad » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:32 pm

Read on Twitter

This is how it should be for the dumb@sses here. I would volunteer too. Gimme the cane and some other ppl, a vehicle and let me go to work on this idiots.

And the guy who said my rights and freedoms can f right off. Ur stupid rights and freedoms is what's gotten us to this point.
Mind_Odyssey
Analyst
And1: 4,957

Post#939 » by Mind_Odyssey » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:46 pm

Read on Twitter
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Post#940 » by MotownMadness » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:47 pm

Mind_Odyssey wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wow, thats a true hero

Return to The General Board