Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,891

Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#1 » by Shock Defeat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:44 pm

I feel like in this social media age, any player that did this would get absolutely murdered and may never live this down. Especially any high profile player.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#2 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:46 pm

Probably not but it isn't surprising he did. He has very mixed results when the stakes are highest.
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,891

Re: Will we ever see a player airball 4 times in an elimination game like Kobe ever again? 

Post#3 » by theforumblue » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:47 pm

he was. he simply didn't let it drag him down mentally like nick anderson. granted, nick messed up on a much bigger stage.
screw these absolute garbage refs
Stan
Sixth Man
And1: 2,450

Post#4 » by Stan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:48 pm

It seems too random and specific a criteria to ever be duplicated. Sort of like this

NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#5 » by NPZ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:50 pm

Yes and the victim will be James Harden. It will happen when the NBA resumes in July. He's gonna airball 4 treys AND miss 4 critical FTs like Nick Anderson.
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,290

Post#6 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:01 pm

Eh, I mean he was what? 18-19 at the time ? He went on to become one of the clutchest players of all time after that. From the players perspective, even in today’s game, if their mind is resilient enough they can overcome something like that also.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#7 » by Dupp » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:41 pm

:lol:

No one has a more fabricated clutch image than Kobe
NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#8 » by NPZ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:47 pm

Dupp wrote::lol:

Who is clutch today in your mind? And besides Mike or Bird (take them as givens), who was clutch to you in the 80s/90s? Gimme a few names for each, not gonna argue w/ your picks. Just wanna get a sense of what you consider legit clutch image vs Kobe's. I know Kobe missed a lot of clutch shots, but he made a lot. People don't consider the misses when they judge that stuff, by and large. And it could be a tough rep to get even if you actually are clutch. EG Vince. He had plenty of clutch shots, but he's not on most peoples' top 5 list for whatever reason.
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,192

Post#9 » by lambchop » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:52 pm

Not surprised at Anderson at all. A 67% shooter is from the FT line is not reliable at all. Plus he was too hyped for that game and mentally screwed himself.

As for Kobe, no that won't happen again. He was forcing the issue, not many players force the issue, unless they are truly capable. Kobe simply wasn't ready at the time.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
Stan
Sixth Man
And1: 2,450

Post#10 » by Stan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:01 pm

NPZ wrote:

Who is clutch today in your mind? And besides Mike or Bird (take them as givens), who was clutch to you in the 80s/90s? Gimme a few names for each, not gonna argue w/ your picks. Just wanna get a sense of what you consider legit clutch image vs Kobe's. I know Kobe missed a lot of clutch shots, but he made a lot. People don't consider the misses when they judge that stuff, by and large. And it could be a tough rep to get even if you actually are clutch. EG Vince. He had plenty of clutch shots, but he's not on most peoples' top 5 list for whatever reason.

My biggest issue with Kobe's clutch rep is, he consistently underperformed in both the Finals and elimination games. Sure, you can find outliers and exceptions to the rule, but he has to have some of the worst career Finals and elimination game averages for an ATG player
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,896

Post#11 » by lakerz12 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:07 pm

There used to be a website called NBA Miner that had a formula and a ranking of every NBA player based on:

"Clutch Time: During the 4th quarter or overtime, with less than five minutes remaining, and neither team ahead by more than five points"

Kobe was ranked in different seasons: 10th, 2nd, 16th, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 2nd, 2nd

He was consistently top 5 in the entire NBA . . .year after year

If you watched most of his games, like I did, it wasn't uncommon to see him win games with his scoring and defense in the 4th quarter. It's not all about the last second shot, although he had a lot of those go in as well.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,954

Post#12 » by Optms » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:37 pm

No because 18 years olds can't play in the NBA.
InTheNBADraft
Sophomore
And1: 67

Post#13 » by InTheNBADraft » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:42 pm

Jeez, people thought that was like the beginning of irrecoverable yips. Which, tbh, for someone as inexperienced as he was, it could've been, but that just wasn't in Kobe's character and it didn't phase him.
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,001

Post#14 » by Trey24 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:47 pm

lakerz12 wrote:

There used to be a website called NBA Miner that had a formula and a ranking of every NBA player based on:

"Clutch Time: During the 4th quarter or overtime, with less than five minutes remaining, and neither team ahead by more than five points"

Kobe was ranked in different seasons: 10th, 2nd, 16th, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 2nd, 2nd

He was consistently top 5 in the entire NBA . . .year after year

If you watched most of his games, like I did, it wasn't uncommon to see him win games with his scoring and defense in the 4th quarter. It's not all about the last second shot, although he had a lot of those go in as well.

These can't be real numbers because realgm says Kobe wasn't a top 15 player all time and Kobe was never clutch EVER.
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#15 » by EAS Law » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:49 pm

Yo discuss whatever you wish I suppose but out of decency, can we let the ink dry on the man’s death certificate before we continue to try to tear down his legacy? Like it hasn’t even been a month or two and I’m almost sure this is the fifth of sixth thread aimed at diminishing Kobe Bryant in the astoundingly short period of time since he was tragically killed.
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,130

Post#16 » by levon » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:52 pm

I mean one way you can live it down is by becoming a worldwide icon, legend, and indisputably top 15 NBA player of all time.
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,284

Post#17 » by Bornstellar » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:55 pm

NPZ wrote:Yes and the victim will be James Harden. It will happen when the NBA resumes in July. He's gonna airball 4 treys AND miss 4 critical FTs like Nick Anderson.

I can see this happening
Bornstellar
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Bornstellar » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:56 pm

EAS Law wrote:Yo discuss whatever you wish I suppose but out of decency, can we let the ink dry on the man’s death certificate before we continue to try to tear down his legacy? Like it hasn’t even been a month or two and I’m almost sure this is the fifth of sixth thread aimed at diminishing Kobe Bryant in the astoundingly short period of time since he was tragically killed.

And? Kobes death was a tragedy but its been two months already. People should able to discuss normal basketball discourse without this whining.
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#19 » by EAS Law » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:02 am

Bornstellar wrote:
EAS Law wrote:Yo discuss whatever you wish I suppose but out of decency, can we let the ink dry on the man’s death certificate before we continue to try to tear down his legacy? Like it hasn’t even been a month or two and I’m almost sure this is the fifth of sixth thread aimed at diminishing Kobe Bryant in the astoundingly short period of time since he was tragically killed.

And? Kobes death was a tragedy but its been two months already. People should able to discuss normal basketball discourse without this whining.

Only this isn’t a normal discussion and the intent is clear. But damn, so edgy and dark. Very cool. Very impressed.
Bornstellar
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Bornstellar » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:06 am

EAS Law wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:

Only this isn’t a normal discussion and the intent is clear. But damn, so edgy and dark. Very cool. Very impressed.

Not about being edgy but hey I'm impressed by your use of retired reddit comebacks.

Point is yeah he died it was sad but that has nothing to do with the thread. People should be able to talk about Kobe like they did before now. Especially since theres a pandemic going on. Sorry dude but your role model isn't the most important story right now

Return to The General Board