ImageImageImageImage

Shams: The season is suspended / Coronavirus Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,362

Re: Shams: The season is suspended / Coronavirus Thread 

Post#841 » by Bensational » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:56 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:A few observations + questions:

-- Retail and restaurants make sense but what other industries are getting hit by unemployment? I'm just not seeing it here.

-- We just passed a $2T stimulus bill in weeks. Meanwhile, we have gone through decades of presidential elections where the topic of student loan forgiveness has been beaten to death and nothing has come of it due to claims of "crippling the economy." But student loans sit at just $1.6T and we aren't talking about a pandemic so there is time to spread out a solution. All options are on the table including volunteer work, income based partial forgiveness and so on.
-->> So why can we get one done in weeks and another takes decades with NOTHING to show? True, the pandemic requires quick action but does the fact that large companies are begging for handouts make a difference as well?

think about the industries that are impacted.

-who is going out to shop or buy a car when there is job insecurity? major business
-travel - airlines, rental cars, hotels
-tourism - amusement parks, museums, tourism trips (scuba, rafting, tours)
-sports leagues - professional and recreational, club level
-cleaning services - businesses, houses, cars

Sorry to sound insensitive but many of those careers should and will be automated soon. Hopefully this shows youngsters the value of graduate school in STEM, Law, Medicine or so on.

I was always told to “be the talent” and they can’t lay you off.

People here might not want to hear this message right now but I’m sure as hell sharing it with my kids, nieces and nephews.

If anything, the coronavirus is showing how useless a lot of middle-class and white collar workers actually are. Even those with those degrees (medicine clearly an exception right there).

With everyone in lockdown the priorities become clear - food, water shelter. As well as the essential jobs to manage those needs - power, telecommunications, waste management, banking, (some) manufacturing, etc.

Those are the basics we need to be healthy, functioning humans. Everyone else that falls into the supply chain for consumer goods (marketing, advertising, distribution, r&d) has been rendered useless with a slowdown on the necessity for those goods. Will humanity fall apart if we don't have a n r&d team developing the next gen iPhone which offers the end user f-all improvement on their actual life in comparison to any iPhone from the past 10 years? No. As long as a population has all those basic needs above met, the stock market and financial sector could completely disappear and we could continue living and existing.

In the end, you might consider yourself "the talent" with a degree like that, but there are services that are critical to humanity which are far less appreciated. You don't need a degree to become a garbage man, but when they stop coming around you quickly realise how much more of a crucial role they play to society than what more than half the world does. Professing that only STEM, law and medicine degrees are of value is part of the toxic undervaluing of the actual critical services. Think about how many LPNs are out there right now helping save lives and they're only on $50K a year. Even if they want to move up the ranks, there are only so many roles available above them.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,663

Post#842 » by basketballRob » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:09 pm

Ducklett wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Ducklett wrote:
Where did you read that? I am not saying you are wrong, but every major publication says that the bill's language is under lock and key and no one knows what is actually in it, it is all speculation and conjecture from what I understand.

Rick Scott even said that they haven't provided him with the text of the bill and he is supposed to be voting on it :o

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/25/coronavirus-stimulus-bill-updates-whats-in-the-2-trillion-relief-plan.html

... or basically any other US news source you prefer.

That isn't the text of the legislation, that is just the bullet points from the one of the parties. I am looking for the full text of the bill.
Most are expecting people to receive between 800-1150 per week for unemployment. The house votes tomorrow, so we'll see the text after that.

That's both parties saying that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,953

Post#843 » by Ducklett » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:55 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

That isn't the text of the legislation, that is just the bullet points from the one of the parties. I am looking for the full text of the bill.
Most are expecting people to receive between 800-1150 per week for unemployment. The house votes tomorrow, so we'll see the text after that.

That's both parties saying that.

I am not questioning what is being reported or what they are saying. I just wanted to read the bill because the devil is always in the details.
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#844 » by nymets1 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:02 am

Last night's numbers as of 7pm from bing.com/covid

USA- 64,675 confirmed cases( 63,372 active cases, 393 have recovered, 910 deaths)
Florida- 1977 confirmed cases
Seminole county has 29 cases and orange county has 77 cases

California- 2617 confirmed cases
Illinois- 1865 confirmed cases
Michigan- 2295 confirmed cases
New Jersey- 4402 confirmed cases
Washington- 2469 confirmed cases

New York- 30,811 confirmed cases

China has 81,218 confirmed cases( 73,650 have recovered but still 4287 active cases)
South Korea has 9137 confirmed cases( 3730 have recovered but still 5281 active cases)
Italy has 74, 386 confirmed cases( 9362 have recovered but still 57,521 active cases)
USA has 64,675 confirmed cases( 393 have recovered but still 63,372 active cases)

Washington's total cases didn't move at all from Monday to Tuesday.
USA has only gained 22 recoveries since Tuesday night from 8:25 pm

Today's numbers as of 8pm

USA- 83,545 confirmed cases( 1864 have recovered but still 80,480 active cases)
Florida- 1977 confirmed cases( Same as last night)

California- 2617(Same as last night)
Illinois- 1865(Same as last night)
Michigan- 2295(Same as last night)
New Jersey- 4402(Same as last night)
Washington- 2469(Same as last night)

New York- 37,258 confirmed cases

China has 81,285 confirmed cases( 74,051 have recovered but still 3947 active cases)
South Korea has 9241 confirmed cases( 4144 have recovered but still 4966 active cases)
Italy has 80,589 confirmed cases ( 10,361 have recovered but still 62,013 active cases)

It's important to note that some of the states that I have been tracking Florida, California, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey and Washington have the same exact number of confirmed cases from 7pm last night. If this stays the same than these states have reached their peak and would be on a downhill drop. New York is the 1 state that had a change in confirmed cases that i been tracking that went from 30,811 confirmed cases last night to right now 37,258.

The USA (recoveries) was at 616 at 7:55 am this morning and right now the USA jumped up to 1864!!! We just increased our recoveries by over 1000 from 7:55 am this morning. I was hoping that the USA would reach 1000 (recoveries) by midnight and it crushed that number by getting up 1864 as of 8pm Thursday. Oh and the USA is #1 in the world with the most confirmed cases.

Florida has 0 recoveries out of their 1977 confirmed cases. Cmon Florida recover.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
Gomagic44
Head Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#845 » by Gomagic44 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:38 am

Update. Slept for 3 hour bouts. Woke up drenched. Dry mouth. 102 fever. It hasn't given up on me yet, soooo nice.

I still don't have the results for flu they said would come Wednesday night, or yesterday.

Cough has turned productive. It's not like green flem but it's not pink foam either. Hopefully I can clear my lungs up a bit today.

Sent from my HD1900 using RealGM mobile app
Ducklett
Head Coach

Post#846 » by Ducklett » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:59 am

Moreover, a study released by Oxford finds that perhaps 50% of those in the UK have the virus and the overwhelming number experience it like the normal flu and have little symptoms. The study suggests that fewer than one in a thousand of those infected with COVID-19 become ill enough to need hospitalization.

https://news.yahoo.com/oxford-study-suggests-millions-people-221100162.html

Absolutely fascinating reads coming out of the science community the last 2-3 days.
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#847 » by spinedoc » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:04 pm

Ducklett wrote:Moreover, a study released by Oxford finds that perhaps 50% of those in the UK have the virus and the overwhelming number experience it like the normal flu and have little symptoms. The study suggests that fewer than one in a thousand of those infected with COVID-19 become ill enough to need hospitalization.

Absolutely fascinating reads coming out of the science community the last 2-3 days.

Antibody testing is just as important practically as testing for the virus itself at this point. We do need to know the population that were theoretically infected but showed no symptoms, or very mild. I know in my heart I was exposed to something late last year that was unrecognizable from anything I've had before. I hope now it was Covid-19, but I have no idea at this point. There will be a frequency of people who never had symptoms at all, I'd like to know what that was/is. On a side note, Boris tested positive and 100 people are dying a day now in the UK. So, we still need to keep our powder dry.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,663

Post#848 » by basketballRob » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:09 pm

Ducklett wrote:Moreover, a study released by Oxford finds that perhaps 50% of those in the UK have the virus and the overwhelming number experience it like the normal flu and have little symptoms. The study suggests that fewer than one in a thousand of those infected with COVID-19 become ill enough to need hospitalization.

Well i don't have to look at numbers to shoot holes in that theory. If 50% have it, then around 50% tested should have it.

spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#849 » by spinedoc » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:13 pm

basketballRob wrote:

Well i don't have to look at numbers to shoot holes in that theory. If 50% have it, then around 50% tested should have it.

It depends where on the curve you are testing, and what you are testing. If the wave has already surged through a population, then testing for the virus may be much lower than the presence of the antibody. But yeah, I'm skeptical as well.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,128

Post#850 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:19 pm

Gomagic44 wrote:Update. Slept for 3 hour bouts. Woke up drenched. Dry mouth. 102 fever. It hasn't given up on me yet, soooo nice.

I still don't have the results for flu they said would come Wednesday night, or yesterday.

Cough has turned productive. It's not like green flem but it's not pink foam either. Hopefully I can clear my lungs up a bit today.

Keep fighting!
aka: prorl
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,588

Post#851 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:22 pm

Makes me wonder if I had already had it. I was on a plane from Houston late January in which 12 asians in masks were in the seats directly in front of me. 3 days later, I develop a cough and felt ill. I take Dayquil extreme to get by. I went to Urgent Care 3 days later in which doctor hardly tested me. They took my temp and put stethiscope to chest for less than 5 seconds and immediately declared "you have a chest infection." She prescribed me anti-biotics which did absolutely nothing as cough lasted 2 weeks. Still had to take Dayquil to breathe and sleep. I felt sick every morning as I woke up til I hit that Dayquil.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,090

Post#852 » by tiderulz » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:49 pm

interesting, but that study is a theoritical model without evidence right now isnt it? (if i read it right). She is just assuming 50% are infected.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,941

Post#853 » by Xatticus » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:15 pm

basketballRob wrote:

Yeah. This looks like wishful garbage to me. It just doesn't jive with what we know. In my state, the positive result rate on tests conducted is well below 10%. And this is in an environment where they are essentially only conducting tests on individuals with a relatively high likelihood of testing positive due to travel or interaction with other confirmed cases. It also doesn't jive with the timeline of the outbreak.

I suspect that they are basing this largely on the growth rate of confirmed cases, but there are huge flaws in this methodology due to the various responses by country, the lack of testing as a whole, and the lack of reliable data to work with.

I can safely say this study is erroneous though, as it is illogical to conclude that this virus has run its course when it is more contagious and more virulent than the flu, yet it has somehow killed fewer people? And why are hospitals only now beginning to get overwhelmed? It's exceedingly obvious what stage we are at with this pandemic, yet you have educated individuals going public with stupid **** because they can't see the forest from the trees.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,941

Post#854 » by Xatticus » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:21 pm

tiderulz wrote:

interesting, but that study is a theoritical model without evidence right now isnt it? (if i read it right). She is just assuming 50% are infected.

Basically... yes. I can't see the model they used, but it is purely theoretical and obviously based on a severely flawed data set. Though I don't think they are making the assumption that 50% of the population has already been infected, but rather that their data says that 50% of the population should have been infected by now.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Ducklett
Head Coach

Post#855 » by Ducklett » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:53 pm

Xatticus wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

Yeah. This looks like wishful garbage to me. It just doesn't jive with what we know. In my state, the positive result rate on tests conducted is well below 10%. And this is in an environment where they are essentially only conducting tests on individuals with a relatively high likelihood of testing positive due to travel or interaction with other confirmed cases. It also doesn't jive with the timeline of the outbreak.

I suspect that they are basing this largely on the growth rate of confirmed cases, but there are huge flaws in this methodology due to the various responses by country, the lack of testing as a whole, and the lack of reliable data to work with.

I can safely say this study is erroneous though, as it is illogical to conclude that this virus has run its course when it is more contagious and more virulent than the flu, yet it has somehow killed fewer people? And why are hospitals only now beginning to get overwhelmed? It's exceedingly obvious what stage we are at with this pandemic, yet you have educated individuals going public with stupid **** because they can't see the forest from the trees.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/27/822407626/mystery-in-wuhan-recovered-coronavirus-patients-test-negative-then-positive

Perhaps it is because our diagnostic tools are failing us? Who knows. I don't have a conclusion on the modeling either way just yet. Oxford's study seems to have enough traction in the community to get three of their largest universities to start testing people to get proof either way for their models.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#856 » by MoMM » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:22 pm

And it's not like STEM is free of pain. I am a developer and I am OK, but my wife is a QA Engineer and her employer cut the hours of ALL employees here in Germany except Financial Department, it's more than 500 people. What the company does? Sell and buy cars, which was totally impacted.

You can see some business related to IT increasing their demands (netflix, whatever), but a good part of them rely in the "real" life, so they will be impacted. And even those that are not impacted at first moment (streaming, for example) if it takes too long, it will be impacted because people will prefer to buy food than watch movies/series, right?
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,771

Post#857 » by RookieStar » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:38 pm

Gomagic44 wrote:Update. Slept for 3 hour bouts. Woke up drenched. Dry mouth. 102 fever. It hasn't given up on me yet, soooo nice.

Hang in there bud!!!
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,015

Post#858 » by Driguez » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:11 pm

I think I may have a mild case of it. Started with stomach discomfort along with a pounding headache two days ago, yesterday started getting low grade fevers, been super tired, a little cough. This morning woke up with my sense of smell and taste out of whack. Went to a clinic to get checked out was tested for the flu and corona, flu came back negative, now on quarantine until the results come back which I was told bc of the amount of people testing could take up to two weeks.
"We all we got"- SVG
Gomagic44
Head Coach

Post#859 » by Gomagic44 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:39 pm

Update: had a 3 hour nap. Woke up. Sat in bathroom breathing steam for like 20 min. Took a shower. Coughed for an hour straight. 102.5 fever.

Can someone input the gif of the lovely little blonde kid singing a curse word over and over and over again?

Gomagic44
Head Coach

Post#860 » by Gomagic44 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:41 pm

Thanks man

Got a joke for you guys:

I'm honestly not sure what's gotton my hopes up more just to end up in the gutter. Whatever I have or the Orlando Magic the past 10 years.

Please clap
RookieStar wrote:

Hang in there bud!!!

Return to Orlando Magic