ImageImage

Mark Cuban says June 1 is the over/under, he's under

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Will the season resume before or after June 1?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:11 pm

Before June
17%
June 1 or after
83%

Total votes: 18

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Mark Cuban says June 1 is the over/under, he's under 

Post#1 » by d-train » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:11 pm

d-train
RealGM

Re: Mark Cuban says June 1 is the over/under, he's under 

Post#2 » by d-train » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:52 pm

What about a drop dead date? Is there a date that the NBA would cancel the season and playoffs if they can't get them started? I already stated my opinion that the NBA will not skip the playoffs under any foreseeable circumstance. I believe the remaining regular season is dead or will be before games are resumed, but the playoffs will be what comes next. To me the debate is when will the playoffs start and how far back will next season be pushed to allow for the playoffs followed by CBA reconciliation and free agency.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,873

Post#3 » by JasonStern » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:58 am

We just became the most infected country in the world, and no vaccine is coming until late 2021. Meanwhile tons of people have no respect for the lives of others and have been blatantly ignoring the "stay at home", "social distance" messages. I'll take the over, unless the league does some irresponsible cash grab like playing in empty arenas - but use hand sanitizer after every play!
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,843

Post#4 » by Norm2953 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:43 am

There are lot of sporting events re-scheduled for September and there is an ESPN article
that is mentioning a 32 game MLB season for September. It would irresponsible to restart
the season on June 1 for imagine the uproar if a star player shortly after the restart tested
positive.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#5 » by PDX MM » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:49 am

If the league is willing to change its calendar it is possible they start back up sometime this year. I can't say I have seen a plan for how to handle the July 1st date that contracts will expire but that seems to be the biggest roadblock other than the pandemic. I guess it really depends on how long the league is willing to wait.
d-train
RealGM

Post#6 » by d-train » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:34 am

PDX MM wrote:If the league is willing to change its calendar it is possible they start back up sometime this year. I can't say I have seen a plan for how to handle the July 1st date that contracts will expire but that seems to be the biggest roadblock other than the pandemic. I guess it really depends on how long the league is willing to wait.

The July 1 date or the expiration of 19/20 season contracts is not a big problem. I don't know offhand whether contract expiration dates are set in the CBA, the Uniform Player Contract, or both. I believe the Uniform Player Contract is an addendum to the CBA. The main point is that it's a collective bargaining issue. It's not a huge deal because it benefits players and owners to sort out the details to salvage playoffs and revenues as much as possible.
d-train
RealGM

Post#7 » by d-train » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:47 am

Norm2953 wrote:There are lot of sporting events re-scheduled for September and there is an ESPN article
that is mentioning a 32 game MLB season for September. It would irresponsible to restart
the season on June 1 for imagine the uproar if a star player shortly after the restart tested
positive.

Facility management will be the NBA's biggest sticking point as I see it. It's going to be a scheduling nightmare for someone to sort out. This and the NBA's TV and streaming rights deals. It's possible the media companies might not want to pay as much for rescheduled events.
d-train
RealGM

Post#8 » by d-train » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:18 pm

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=415&t=1953960

The NBA's first China virus cases have recovered. The significant part of this report is Utah's players and staff were 'certified' as cleared by the Utah Department of Health. Why would Jazz request UDH's clearance unless they are checking off milestones to restart games?
LillardTime
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#9 » by LillardTime » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:43 pm

d-train wrote:https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=415&t=1953960

The NBA's first China virus cases have recovered. The significant part of this report is Utah's players and staff were 'certified' as cleared by the Utah Department of Health. Why would Jazz request UDH's clearance unless they are checking off milestones to restart games?

The USA has had over 31,000 new cases in the last 2 days. This is starting to spread like wildfire and if there’s been 31,000 cases in 2 days imagine how many others have contracted the disease but right now are asymptomatic? How can the season restart when this crisis is just beginning? Just because a team like the Utah Jazz are right now all clear, doesn’t mean a player won’t contract the virus in the next few days.

Living in Australia it has been 50% hilarious 50% downright scary watching the way Trump and the US government has handled this. Our cities are already in a form of lockdown and everyone is expecting that is going to be tightened up further in the coming days until we get to an Italy-like situation where no one is allowed out of the house for any reason other than food, medical supplies or work if you are in an essential industry like healthcare. Until their is a vaccine for this, human life as we knew it is going to be on pause because even if the cases start to decrease, as soon as people start to move about again the virus will just spread.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#10 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:49 pm

I think it's ridiculous to believe the season could start by June 1. All it would take is one player or one official or one coach or one scorekeeper or one announcer to contract the disease, and the season, such as it was, would be on 'postponed' again.

The entire US would have to go on lockdown for a couple of months; and it couldn't be a passive lockdown like we have now. But with GOP controlled states refusing to accept the realities of the science on this, nothing like a lock down will happen. And even with a national lockdown, which the buffoon in the white house wouldn't allow, as soon as the restrictions were eased, somebody, somewhere, would start spreading the disease again. And next winter, and flu season, starts in just 6 months

the NBA should just take the hit and $hitcan this season. Then start worrying about next season. Sports should just take a hiatus until there's either a vaccine or a bulletproof treatment
d-train
RealGM

Post#11 » by d-train » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:53 pm

There is plenty to laugh at. There always is, if you like laughing at the stupid things people do, especially politicians and community leaders.

The engine of growth and life blood of this China virus is our mass transit system. Mass transit is nirvana for the spread of the China virus. It would be interesting to know what facilitates the spread most in a train, bus, or plane. Is it contact transfer or respiratory droplets. Generally, it's respiratory droplets, but mass transit is such a perfect environment for the virus, it's hard to guess. The next best facilitator of transfer is any gathering of people, the more and closer the better.

Our biggest mistakes are by those managing and controlling our mass transit. The time it takes to develop large scale testing and a vaccine is not a mistake, unless it began late. You are an idiot if you think we started that process late. The only way it would have made sense to start earlier is if we had earlier knowledge of what we are dealing with, which we didn't. You can thank China for not getting the earliest possible notice.

I'm starting to believe the general lockdown, even the loose lockdown we have, is a mistake, except for the prohibition on large gatherings. Generally, one way to deal with a virus is to let it spread so people can build immunity. The problem with this virus is it's a killer for a large demographic of people. I think rather than treating all people the same, we should have a strategy that protects the demographic that is threatened by the virus. We should lockdown and separate the vulnerable people from the larger demographic. Secondarily, we could use our limited testing capacity to separate infected people in the life threatened group from other people in the life threatened group. It's not that critical to separate infected people in the non life threatened group from other people in the non life threatened group, however it could be done at a lower priority level.

I know, the sky is falling, everyone watch out. The dumbest and worst politicians and community leaders are the most entrenched ones. I get a kick out of Andrew Cuomo's press conferences. According to him, we need to send all of our resources, including ventilators to New York and we have his assurance that under his control he will make the best use of them. Gavin Newsom isn't as stupid as Cuomo, but he is a worse parasite.
d-train
RealGM

Post#12 » by d-train » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:59 am

I vote we put this guy in charge. This problem would be over real quick.
d-train
RealGM

Post#13 » by d-train » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:06 am

He must be in his car spitting and touching his face because he is looking for lockdown violators to reprimand.
d-train
RealGM

Post#14 » by d-train » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:14 am

Here's another good one:
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,315

Post#15 » by Shem » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:10 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:I think it's ridiculous to believe the season could start by June 1. All it would take is one player or one official or one coach or one scorekeeper or one announcer to contract the disease, and the season, such as it was, would be on 'postponed' again.

The entire US would have to go on lockdown for a couple of months; and it couldn't be a passive lockdown like we have now. But with GOP controlled states refusing to accept the realities of the science on this, nothing like a lock down will happen. And even with a national lockdown, which the buffoon in the white house wouldn't allow, as soon as the restrictions were eased, somebody, somewhere, would start spreading the disease again. And next winter, and flu season, starts in just 6 months

the NBA should just take the hit and $hitcan this season. Then start worrying about next season. Sports should just take a hiatus until there's either a vaccine or a bulletproof treatment

I 100% agree with this. There is just no way you can resume this season in safety. Until there is a vaccine, this could affect the 2021 season as well.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,843

Post#16 » by Norm2953 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:02 pm

Moderators must be asleep for I believe we were all told to keep politics off this board
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,315

Post#17 » by Shem » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:52 am

This is Bill Gates 5 years ago. We should have listened.

April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#18 » by PDXKnight » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:05 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:I think it's ridiculous to believe the season could start by June 1. All it would take is one player or one official or one coach or one scorekeeper or one announcer to contract the disease, and the season, such as it was, would be on 'postponed' again.

Oh give me a break! I won’t rebuttal as politics are not allowed in the forum but if I could I’d speak my mind about this GOP blame game!
d-train
RealGM

Post#19 » by d-train » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:15 pm

Shem wrote:This is Bill Gates 5 years ago. We should have listened.

There were plenty of people listening but nobody doing anything. Trump says he inherited a broken system (Gates confirms this), but that will change. We will see. I think government is incompetent in everything it does, always has been and always will be. It was incompetent before Trump and will be incompetent after Trump.

Good government does as little as possible and promotes individual freedom and responsibility. Actual government, ceases control and power over everything.

When this is over, will government assess its performance and make lasting changes, so that it can improve and do better next time. Normally, government lies, covers up, and pats itself on the back no matter how incompetent it is.

These daily competing press conferences do not benefit us. The press conferences are our incompetent government at work. Instead of doing a real job accomplishing something meaningful, there is a struggle for who will get credit for defeating the virus and who will get blamed for it. The best we can hope for is while the ridiculous games are being played, something good might also happen by coincidence.

The media is worse than the government and has much less credibility. The media is supposed to be a check on government but instead, they are the propaganda arm of the government. This doesn't mean the media are of one mind, neither is the government. The media are not unbiased independent truth tellers. Too much of media are not asking thoughtful questions to promote debate of the issues. With the zero credibility that it rightfully has, the media isn't a media.

There are many thoughtful liberal leaders such as Alan Dershowitz and Jonathan Turley. The media doesn't want to hear their voices because they want to engage in intelligent debate, rather than mindlessly reinforce a political agenda. These liberals have to go on Fox to sell their books.
d-train
RealGM

Post#20 » by d-train » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:27 pm

Shem wrote:...There is just no way you can resume this season in safety. Until there is a vaccine, this could affect the 2021 season as well.

The players can play games safely, this isn't an issue now or ever. The NBA might have to play games without fans. The playoffs will be played, it's a question of when. There's no point in waiting past June 1, unless it's possible to wait long enough to have fans watch [at] the games. I think Cuban is right, the games will be started before June 1.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers