ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,351

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#661 » by Hero » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:28 pm

I was at Loblaws. Less crowd than usual obviously but quite a few shelves totally cleared out. Didn't see for sure what it was but it seemed like toilet paper,wipes and maybe flour.

Also the social distancing is a bit iffy. Why don't we have the marks on the ground so people don't stand right behind you?
Double Bubble
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#662 » by Double Bubble » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:58 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
lolwut wrote:
Double Bubble wrote:It will end when natural selection weeds out all the morons of our species, and those with genetics worth saving repopulate. Ironically situations such as this are nature’s way of trimming the fat from humanity’s genetics. If nothing else that will happen economically

I saw a woman in the grocery store yesterday who was shoving her cart around like the apocalypse was upon her, talking to herself in addition to random people in the store, screeching the wheels of her cart and literally just going in circles as if to say hello please commit me to a mental institution

I’m telling u guys not only is society ****ed but people are absolutely ****ed. Just imagine what will happen when a REAL crisis occurs. One that DOES disrupt the supply chain, energy sources, etc. Then watch these monkeys run around like chickens with their heads cut off. The majority of them are doomed if anything of the sort was to happen. U can’t fix stupid unfortunately, gotta breed them out and I hope it happens

Cynical but true. The ironic thing is that human intellect is what created all the guardrails and safety nets for stupid people to not only survive, but thrive. And eventually, it will be an overpopulation of stupid people that brings down the human race once it hits a critical mass.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
You can't help but think that there's a little bit of truth in this movie.

I don’t know what’s true about a disease targeting mostly the elderly having anything to do with genetics, natural selection or being a moron ...because your old. And it’s not the elderly and stupid spreading it ....but they will suffer from it.

If you read the subject of the thread it might make more sense.
Double Bubble
Sixth Man

Post#663 » by Double Bubble » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:14 am

Hero_Panda wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
lolwut wrote:
Cynical but true. The ironic thing is that human intellect is what created all the guardrails and safety nets for stupid people to not only survive, but thrive. And eventually, it will be an overpopulation of stupid people that brings down the human race once it hits a critical mass.

I don’t know what’s true about a disease targeting mostly the elderly having anything to do with genetics, natural selection or being a moron ...because your old. And it’s not the elderly and stupid spreading it ....but they will suffer from it.

The "cynical" post tried to sound deep and intellectual, but really comes off as cringey and nonsensical.
And I typed out "cynical" in quotes because it's a whole lot of gibberish.
In the end, reminded me of this:

The thread is about panic buying and behaviour of the general population in the context of a pandemic. Where is there mention of those who contracted the virus, boomers, etc? Is your post an honest misunderstanding of the subject, or are you just trying to clown someone online and inadvertly doing it to yourself..
seanbig
RealGM
And1: 3,876

Post#664 » by seanbig » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:48 am

Hero wrote:I was at Loblaws. Less crowd than usual obviously but quite a few shelves totally cleared out. Didn't see for sure what it was but it seemed like toilet paper,wipes and maybe flour.

Also the social distancing is a bit iffy. Why don't we have the marks on the ground so people don't stand right behind you?

It’s cuz they want corona to spread more-stupid Loblaws
Official 1,000,000 post crew
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,
aRapsFan4eva,Koz RJC, MAS, Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#665 » by Indeed » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:23 am

CantStopTheRock wrote:
Indeed wrote:
CantStopTheRock wrote:
Is this a joke? We are talking about masking the entire population.

What everyone wears glasses now? NO

Everyone that wears a mask makes sure they have perfectly clean hands? NO

I never said anything about people wearing masks and doing nothing else. You really need to learn to read.

I think you are a joke, claiming prevention has to cover "Everyone" in order to be effective.
The trend between mass mask wearing countries seem to be having better result, while we can monitor another week, but I wouldn't dismiss the importance of using a mask.

https://imgur.com/a/MZ2mcOW#PbDwSy1

Did you read any of the studies that were posted? No of course not. You instead use a single graph depicting current results of this outbreak and fail to recognize all the major contributing factors of WHY.
Testing? Not important
Tracking? Not important
Mandatory Quarantine? Not important
Enforcing of rules/citizens following? Not important
Oh it must just be masks that are causing it. The same masks many were already wearing and did not slow the initial outbreak? The outbreak slowed because of the protocols they put in place, mainly testing and tracking.

Even the pro mask studies that Courtside posted, most proved no negligible benefit and one demonstrated only a 6% improvement if 50% of the population wore them, that is if worn correctly, ignoring any negative factors (touching face) and versus Zero Maks worn. And I never said no one should wear a mask.

So considering the best use case is to mask the sick and HCW you might get what a whole 1-2% benefit and this is assuming everyone wears them correctly and there is ZERO negatives of wearing the masks. You really think that is with millions of masks? Maybe that money is better going into test kits, tracking measure, enforcing isolation, etc.

And for the last time the argument was about whether masking the majority of the population was effective as a whole vs only sick, HCW and special cases. I already said dozens of times, if you are wearing it correctly and are not touching your face more it would help a small amount

No one said those are not important, the problem is lack of evidence instead.

Furthermore, clearly the Chinese people may not wear them correctly, but there is a great impact in controlling. While you mentioned there are other protocols in place, but you failed to understand that not everyone will follow as well. It is rather obvious that if it can work in China, it should work better in a much more educated country.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,139

Post#666 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:37 am

Jcity08 wrote:Who needs toilet paper though.

#bidetgang

The cheaper models are selling out within minutes of being restocked. I read bidet startups are selling $500K-1M daily.

We might see a cultural shift away from toilet paper after this whole thing is over. We're too dependant on it and it's expensive as hell. I know I'll be joining #bidetgang. I didn't even know you could get bidet attachments in North America until I read this thread.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,346

Post#667 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:56 am

Double Bubble wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
lolwut wrote:

Since natural selection isn’t going to weed out any idiots that are panic buying etc. during this process, since are not the ones affected and will be around to repopulate, I don’t get how you figure I don’t understand the subject when your thought here just doesn’t make a lot of sense. But people are **** yeah... but that was easy to see.

Pretend all you like that your post made any damn sense.
Double Bubble
Sixth Man

Post#668 » by Double Bubble » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:43 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
Double Bubble wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Since natural selection isn’t going to weed out any idiots that are panic buying etc. during this process, since are not the ones affected and will be around to repopulate, I don’t get how you figure I don’t understand the subject when your thought here just doesn’t make a lot of sense. But people are **** yeah... but that was easy to see.

what are you talking about
Gang of Four
Bench Warmer
And1: 773

Post#669 » by Gang of Four » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:27 am

Double Bubble wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Double Bubble wrote:

what are you talking about

Because the stupidity of one person affects all of the people around them in this case. People like you who are cannot see the big picture and need it explained to them are the reason why everyone else is at risk of harm in the first place. Our choices have implications well beyond one person, so it has nothing to do with natural selection.

Code: Select all

001011010010110100101110001000000010111000101101001000000010110100101110001000000010110100101101001011100010000000101111001011010010110100101101001000000010111000101110001011010010111000100000001011110010111000101110001011100010111000101101
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#670 » by yellowknifer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:55 am

Masks help. Even if they dont totally protect you from infection (which they can if used properly) they will reduce the viral load you are exposed to and that does matter a lot. If someone coughs on you with a mask you might still get sick but your body will be better able to respond due to decreased load.
SHFT
Head Coach
And1: 4,956

Post#671 » by SHFT » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:17 pm

GordanFreeman wrote:
Double Bubble wrote:It will end when natural selection weeds out all the morons of our species, and those with genetics worth saving repopulate. Ironically situations such as this are nature’s way of trimming the fat from humanity’s genetics. If nothing else that will happen economically

I saw a woman in the grocery store yesterday who was shoving her cart around like the apocalypse was upon her, talking to herself in addition to random people in the store, screeching the wheels of her cart and literally just going in circles as if to say hello please commit me to a mental institution

I’m telling u guys not only is society ****ed but people are absolutely ****ed. Just imagine what will happen when a REAL crisis occurs. One that DOES disrupt the supply chain, energy sources, etc. Then watch these monkeys run around like chickens with their heads cut off. The majority of them are doomed if anything of the sort was to happen. U can’t fix stupid unfortunately, gotta breed them out and I hope it happens

What a heartless post. Do you have any relatives with down syndrome, psychological impairments, etc? Maybe that lady had psychological issue like schizophrenia or paranoia? Are you an advocate of eugenics btw?

could have just stopped at that first bit before the comma lol, its the same message... that I actually agree with. Society, as a whole, is stupid af.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,139

Post#672 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:31 pm

yellowknifer wrote:Masks help. Even if they dont totally protect you from infection (which they can if used properly) they will reduce the viral load you are exposed to and that does matter a lot. If someone coughs on you with a mask you might still get sick but your body will be better able to respond due to decreased load.

Anti-maskers take an all-or-nothing approach to this debate. If masks don't provide 100% protection to 100% of the population, they are useless.
CantStopTheRock
Junior
And1: 157

Post#673 » by CantStopTheRock » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:46 pm

Indeed wrote:
CantStopTheRock wrote:
Indeed wrote:
I think you are a joke, claiming prevention has to cover "Everyone" in order to be effective.
The trend between mass mask wearing countries seem to be having better result, while we can monitor another week, but I wouldn't dismiss the importance of using a mask.

https://imgur.com/a/MZ2mcOW#PbDwSy1

Did you read any of the studies that were posted? No of course not. You instead use a single graph depicting current results of this outbreak and fail to recognize all the major contributing factors of WHY.
Testing? Not important
Tracking? Not important
Mandatory Quarantine? Not important
Enforcing of rules/citizens following? Not important
Oh it must just be masks that are causing it. The same masks many were already wearing and did not slow the initial outbreak? The outbreak slowed because of the protocols they put in place, mainly testing and tracking.

Even the pro mask studies that Courtside posted, most proved no negligible benefit and one demonstrated only a 6% improvement if 50% of the population wore them, that is if worn correctly, ignoring any negative factors (touching face) and versus Zero Maks worn. And I never said no one should wear a mask.

So considering the best use case is to mask the sick and HCW you might get what a whole 1-2% benefit and this is assuming everyone wears them correctly and there is ZERO negatives of wearing the masks. You really think that is with millions of masks? Maybe that money is better going into test kits, tracking measure, enforcing isolation, etc.

And for the last time the argument was about whether masking the majority of the population was effective as a whole vs only sick, HCW and special cases. I already said dozens of times, if you are wearing it correctly and are not touching your face more it would help a small amount

No one said those are not important, the problem is lack of evidence instead.

Furthermore, clearly the Chinese people may not wear them correctly, but there is a great impact in controlling. While you mentioned there are other protocols in place, but you failed to understand that not everyone will follow as well. It is rather obvious that if it can work in China, it should work better in a much more educated country.

I agree there is not a ton of evidence out there. But with all the studies that have been done regarding masking entire groups, most say there is basically no effect, some say it's worse, and some show a small positive effect but compared to no masks being used and everyone wearing them correctly. You would think if it was so clearly an effective measure, these wouldn't be the results that we have so far.

Other protocols have been proven to be effective. I do not think going through millions of extra masks to have the majority of people wearing them is a great use of resources when there is more evidence of it being useless (or even harmful) than effective. Those resources could be put towards something more effective.

If an individual wants to wear them go ahead. It's biggest benefit is if you are unknowingly sick you are not spreading it as much, but as far as protecting yourself it is not very effective especially with no eye protection.
CantStopTheRock
Junior

Post#674 » by CantStopTheRock » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:33 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
yellowknifer wrote:Masks help. Even if they dont totally protect you from infection (which they can if used properly) they will reduce the viral load you are exposed to and that does matter a lot. If someone coughs on you with a mask you might still get sick but your body will be better able to respond due to decreased load.

Anti-maskers take an all-or-nothing approach to this debate. If masks don't provide 100% protection to 100% of the population, they are useless.

Anti-maskers?

No one said they were useless, no one said that no one should wear them. Stop making **** up.

Did you read any of the studies?

Courtside posted a bunch of them and he is pro masking everyone

Most said there is no worthwhile benefit in masking the general public.
Some said it is worse because of incorrect use effectiveness < face touching risk
One said if 50% of people wear masks its only a 6% difference. That was a math model based on 100% correct usage (doesn't happen) and no variable for face touching(does happen)

So how do you equate any of that to anti-maskers thinking "if masks don't provide 100% protection to 100% of the population, they are useless"

The best case study supporting your point leads to a 6% increase FFS with assuming all the positives and ignoring the negatives. Yeah that is close to what you are claiming about “anti maskers”

You think with those numbers that's a great use of resources? Millions and millions of masks for that little of benefit (if any)? This is the point everyone against masking the public is making, yet you keep pushing this stupid narrative

It's like you are a flat earther. Everyone needs to prove to you that without a shadow of doubt masking the entire population is not an effective measure but you just need to THINK it is effective.
vctmac
Rookie
And1: 568

Post#675 » by vctmac » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:44 pm

CantStopTheRock wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Anti-maskers?

No one said they were useless, no one said that no one should wear them. Stop making **** up.

Some said it is worse because of incorrect use effectiveness < face touching risk
One said if 50% of people wear masks its only a 6% difference. That was a math model based on 100% correct usage (doesn't happen) and no variable for face touching(does happen)

So how do you equate any of that to anti-maskers thinking "if masks don't provide 100% protection to 100% of the population, they are useless"

The best case study supporting your point leads to a 6% increase FFS with assuming all the positives and ignoring the negatives. Yeah that is close to what you are claiming about “anti maskers”

You think with those numbers that's a great use of resources? Millions and millions of masks for that little of benefit (if any)? This is the point everyone against masking the public is making, yet you keep pushing this stupid narrative

It's like you are a flat earther. Everyone needs to prove to you that without a shadow of doubt masking the entire population is not an effective measure but you just need to THINK it is effective.

i think we found an Anti-masker
jrask
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,158

Post#676 » by jrask » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:07 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:

I spoke to a hockey buddy...who happens to be an emergency room doctor here in the GTA. he is stunned by how many people believe that masks don’t work. He went on to say that they aren’t 100% effective....but they are particularly effective in “blocking” larger droplets

I really don’t get the anti mask people.

I get that there is a shortage .... and the doctors need them....but that’s a separate point
CantStopTheRock
Junior

Post#677 » by CantStopTheRock » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:16 pm

vctmac wrote:
CantStopTheRock wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Anti-maskers?

i think we found an Anti-masker

I think we found someone who has a hard time reading :p
Hero_Panda
Veteran
And1: 3,990

Post#678 » by Hero_Panda » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:48 pm

"Anti-maskers" :rolleyes:
Let's not play this black-and-white label game.

I can understand CantStopTheRock's point and even though I don't agree with it. I do appreciate the evidence they have provided against my stance that wearing a mask is better than no mask though. Very helpful and information especially during these trying times when slew of misinformation is being spread everywhere.
"My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened."-Montaigne
"at the Fed level, I'm a libertarian; state level, Republican; local level, Democrat; family and friends level, a socialist."-G & V Graham
Hero_Panda
Veteran
And1: 3,990

Post#679 » by Hero_Panda » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:50 pm

"My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened."-Montaigne
"at the Fed level, I'm a libertarian; state level, Republican; local level, Democrat; family and friends level, a socialist."-G & V Graham
CantStopTheRock
Junior

Post#680 » by CantStopTheRock » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:09 pm

jrask wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

I spoke to a hockey buddy...who happens to be an emergency room doctor here in the GTA. he is stunned by how many people believe that masks don’t work. He went on to say that they aren’t 100% effective....but they are particularly effective in “blocking” larger droplets

I really don’t get the anti mask people.

I get that there is a shortage .... and the doctors need them....but that’s a separate point

You realize those medical case studies are performed by Doctors and medical researchers right? At least as qualified or likely more qualified than your friend

You realize no one said they are not effective.

You are arguing a point that no one has made. We are talking about benefit of masking the general population. Based on MEDICAL CASE STUDIES, there is very little if any benefit (and in some cases worse). The argument was if it is worth the resources to do it.

They are very effective at stopping droplets from EXITING a persons mouth, not from getting in. That is what they are meant for. High risk people like HCW that are in close contact with these people wear them mainly to protect patients and each other. No one said it was not effective for sick people, HCW, or people in contact with at risk people.

Healthy people are talking about wearing them to prevent getting the virus and acting like it is significantly decreases there chances. A PRO mask study showed only a 6% effectiveness in reducing spread if 50% of people wear a mask 100% correct (no contamination, no increased face touching, nothing, even though that is not reality).

They do not stop droplets that are suspended in the air from entering through your eyes or getting on your body and IN CLINICAL STUDIES people are more likely to touch there face, which is can be worse than the protection it gives you. They help stop airborne droplets from getting into your mouth if worn correctly

AGAIN - wearing it correctly and with eye protection is of great benefit. Wearing by itself correctly is somewhat beneficial. Wearing it incorrectly which is happening often, is likely doing nothing for you and might be worse

Return to Toronto Raptors