Image ImageImage Image

Coronavirus

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,308

Re: Coronavirus 

Post#1541 » by coldfish » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:30 pm

dumbell78 wrote:Some good news from Sydney, per the actual testing and numbers done (keep that in mind).

186 new cases in NSW, total now is 1405 confirmed in our state.
2nd consecutive day the number of new cases has gone down.

Stay home, it works!

Of the 1405 cases, 877 were acquired overseas. Yes, on behave of all NSW residents thank you for unleashing the cruise liners and number of infected travelers onto us. :banghead: :banghead:

I sincerely hope that your weather is a factor in the low count. Obviously the virus can spread in warm or humid weather as it has but if the transmission rate drops in those weather conditions it becomes more manageable. There is a lattitude line globally where the virus has really taken off. Hopefully its weather related and summer will put some brakes on this thing in the northern hemisphere.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,290

Post#1542 » by dumbell78 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:45 pm

coldfish wrote:
dumbell78 wrote:Some good news from Sydney, per the actual testing and numbers done (keep that in mind).

Stay home, it works!

Of the 1405 cases, 877 were acquired overseas. Yes, on behave of all NSW residents thank you for unleashing the cruise liners and number of infected travelers onto us. :banghead: :banghead:

I sincerely hope that your weather is a factor in the low count. Obviously the virus can spread in warm or humid weather as it has but if the transmission rate drops in those weather conditions it becomes more manageable. There is a lattitude line globally where the virus has really taken off. Hopefully its weather related and summer will put some brakes on this thing in the northern hemisphere.

Yeah I have read the research on the latitude line and the virus, its amazing really. Here our weather has been mild for the most part, when this thing started we had some warmer air but its cooled off here last two weeks or so. Some rain here and there. We are in fall, about to hit winter soon and flu season is right around the corner for us.

SO critical we don't bog down our health care facilities.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,874

Post#1543 » by Dresden » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:25 am

MrSparkle wrote:Few folks said they’ve (possibly) had C-19.. starting to feel I might have it. All mild, but past 2 days I’ve had a sensation of deep chest phlegm and trouble sleeping. Today a dry cough slight chills. No fever. Overall a mildly impaired deep breathing. Hoping it’s not it (season allergies? I’m prone), but if it is it, hoping it stays mild. But i’m hearing a lot how it goes from 0-60.. so fingers crossed.

From what I understand, having phlegm is not part of Corona, nor is having a runny nose or a lot of congestion. But symptoms can vary. Some people get a cough, some don't. Some get a fever but not the cough. They say just treat it like a cold or flu- drink liquids, rest as much as you can, eat nourishing foods. Hopefully testing will be available for more and more as each day goes by.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1544 » by Dresden » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:27 am

"and so foreseeable in every detail that we have a board game": good line there.

Anyone who says no one saw this coming is just plain lying.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#1545 » by MrSparkle » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:40 am

Dresden wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:Few folks said they’ve (possibly) had C-19.. starting to feel I might have it. All mild, but past 2 days I’ve had a sensation of deep chest phlegm and trouble sleeping. Today a dry cough slight chills. No fever. Overall a mildly impaired deep breathing. Hoping it’s not it (season allergies? I’m prone), but if it is it, hoping it stays mild. But i’m hearing a lot how it goes from 0-60.. so fingers crossed.

From what I understand, having phlegm is not part of Corona, nor is having a runny nose or a lot of congestion. But symptoms can vary. Some people get a cough, some don't. Some get a fever but not the cough. They say just treat it like a cold or flu- drink liquids, rest as much as you can, eat nourishing foods. Hopefully testing will be available for more and more as each day goes by.

No runny nose, slight nose congestion but not really, the nose is kind of clear, smell is in tact (which is good, apparently you lose sense of smell with C19?). But I just felt the mucus go straight to the chest, which is something I haven't really felt before. I have after a few days of nose sinuses in past colds/flus, but this out of nowhere started feeling lower.

Well, I'll take it easy, hopefully it is not it. I did have to make a trips to USPS and UPS earlier this week but I sanitized my hands, social distanced and what not, and otherwise haven't been out. Hopefully they're just allergies and paranoia. :oops:
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1546 » by Dresden » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:20 am

MrSparkle wrote:
Dresden wrote:

No runny nose, slight nose congestion but not really, the nose is kind of clear, smell is in tact (which is good, apparently you lose sense of smell with C19?). But I just felt the mucus go straight to the chest, which is something I haven't really felt before. I have after a few days of nose sinuses in past colds/flus, but this out of nowhere started feeling lower.

Well, I'll take it easy, hopefully it is not it. I did have to make a trips to USPS and UPS earlier this week but I sanitized my hands, social distanced and what not, and otherwise haven't been out. Hopefully they're just allergies and paranoia. :oops:

Usually with Corona, it takes some time for virus to make it's way down your trachea into the lungs. From what I know- I'm no doctor.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#1547 » by AKfanatic » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:31 am

Priorities......

Read on Twitter
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,803

Post#1548 » by jc23 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:41 am

dice wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
jc23 wrote:https://www.dailywire.com/news/epidemiologist-behind-highly-cited-coronavirus-model-admits-he-was-wrong-drastically-revises-model/

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

i was going to mention that daily wire is a right wing organization that is known for climate change denial, but refrained because their reporting here looked legit. the power of propaganda...

from wiki:

According to Snopes, "DailyWire.com has a tendency to share stories that are taken out of context or not verified", including reports on protesters digging up Confederate graves, Democratic congresspeople refusing to stand for a fallen Navy SEAL's widow, and Harvard University holding segregated commencement ceremonies.[16] According to FactCheck.org, The Daily Wire incorrectly credited Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson with finding over $500 billion in accounting errors made by the Obama administration. FactCheck.org reported that the errors were discovered and published by HUD's independent inspector general before Carson became secretary.[17]

The Daily Wire has published articles expressing skepticism that climate change is occurring and that humans contribute to climate change. Climate scientists have described the articles as inaccurate and misleading.

sorry, looked legit. One reason i posted it is an MD i follow retweeted the link.
Be curious, Not judgmental
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,308

Post#1549 » by coldfish » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:50 am

MrSparkle wrote:
Dresden wrote:

There was some party in seattle where a lot of guests got the virus. One of the people documented the symptoms for all of the people who tested positive. It was literally all over the map. This thing hits everyone differently. The most common symptom I have seen is fatigue but even then, who in the world can say they are never fatigued?

IMO, the stress of wondering if its about to get bad makes it worse. Just assume its the flu or allergies, sleep and drink lots of liquids. Get a humidifier and sleep in high humidity. If you are a vitamin guy, lots of people talking about C and D.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,542

Post#1550 » by dice » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:06 am

as US infection rate rises to top of international community, trump calls the dubious milestone a "testament to our testing"

highest confirmed counts in US:

23112 NYC
5944 westchester county, NY
3914 nassau county, NY
2735 suffolk county, NY

1904 cook county, IL
1577 king county, WA
1389 wayne county, MI
1230 LA county, CA
1206 bergen county, NJ
1197 rockland county, NY
997 orleans county, LA

looks like close to half of reported nationwide cases are in new york state
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
mtron32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,997

Post#1551 » by mtron32 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:13 am

dice wrote:as US infection rate rises to top of international community, trump calls the dubious milestone a "testament to our testing"

LMAO is that an onion article?
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#1552 » by Chi town » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:28 am

Dresden wrote:"and so foreseeable in every detail that we have a board game": good line there.

Anyone who says no one saw this coming is just plain lying.

Exactly. People see what they want to see.

It’s very clear Trump wanted to write it off to protect the stock market and economy. That turned out to be a very bad move. Now the long term damage will be much more severe.

Protecting the economy is important but you always have to play the long game. I don’t buy for one second his “there will be more suicides due to a bad economy than deaths due to corona.”
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,542

Post#1553 » by dice » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:09 am

Chi town wrote:Protecting the economy is important but you always have to play the long game. I don’t buy for one second his “there will be more suicides due to a bad economy than deaths due to corona.”

yeah, but quality of life concerns are more complicated than body count
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1554 » by Dresden » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:19 am

dice wrote:as US infection rate rises to top of international community, trump calls the dubious milestone a "testament to our testing"

highest confirmed counts in US:

23112 NYC
5944 westchester county, NY
3914 nassau county, NY
2735 suffolk county, NY

1904 cook county, IL
1577 king county, WA
1389 wayne county, MI
1230 LA county, CA
1206 bergen county, NJ
1197 rockland county, NY
997 orleans county, LA

looks like close to half of reported nationwide cases are in new york state

Yeah, NY and surrounding areas are really getting hammered. I hate to say it, but they should really think about quarantining the whole area and not allowing travel in and out except for commercial traffic like deliveries, cargo, etc. There are stories about NYC'ers fleeing to second homes in the Catskills and Long Island and NJ- that's just going to spread it faster. And people in these other communities are pissed, as the city dwellers swoop in and clean out their grocery stores and possibly bring the virus with them. IT's a pretty draconian measure to take, but they did it in Wuhan, and it did help contain the virus there.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#1555 » by kingkirk » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:35 am

coldfish wrote:

Stay home, it works!

We're probably lucky that our country is isolated and doesn't have that many folks around.
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#1556 » by bullsnewdynasty » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:36 am

AKfanatic wrote:You don’t say....
The federal government’s planned $2 trillion economic rescue package includes financial aid for individuals and industries that are struggling to survive the coronavirus pandemic.

It also includes a potential bonanza for America’s richest real estate investors.

Senate Republicans inserted an easy-to-overlook provision on page 203 of the 880-page bill that would permit wealthy investors to use losses generated by real estate to minimize their taxes on profits from things like investments in the stock market. The estimated cost of the change over 10 years is $170 billion.

Under the existing tax code, when real estate investors generate losses from gradually writing down the value of their properties, a process known as depreciation, they can use some of those losses to offset other taxes. The result is that people can enjoy big tax breaks stemming from only-on-paper losses, even if they enjoy big cash profits in the real world.

But the use of those losses was limited by the 2017 tax-cut package. The losses could be used only to shelter the first $500,000 of a married couple’s nonbusiness income, such as capital gains from investments. Any leftover losses got rolled over to future years.
The new stimulus bill lifts that restriction for three years — this year, and two retroactive years — a boon for couples with more than $500,000 in annual capital gains or income from sources other than their business. That group comprises the top 1 percent of taxpayers, according to Internal Revenue Service data

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/business/coronavirus-real-estate-investors-stimulus.html#click=https://t.co/8A7hiWUjpL

Under the TCJA you still got to carry over excess business losses to future years so this is much ado about nothing other than giving real estate investors liquidity who were hit hard.

It’s basically letting them take the loss now instead of in the future.
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Post#1557 » by BigUps » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:12 pm

Well, theres a chance that my family may finally be impacted by the virus. We won't know for 4-8 more days (since testing in Ohio takes that long). My Great Uncle had been in a coma for awhile and finally passed. My Great Aunt went to see him many times at the hospital during the coma and after. As a tight knit family, a few family members did the same and came into town and stayed with other family members. My Great Aunt became very ill the day after her husbands death and is now being quarantined solo, they are hoping she's the only one impacted, but there is fear that others have been exposed. We're all hoping this is nothing more than a broken heart induced flu. Unfortunately, the folks that may have been exposed are all older.

Moral of the story, stay away from people and hospitals unless you have it. Hoping for good news in a few days. Stay safe all.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1558 » by Dresden » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:19 pm

BigUps wrote:Well, theres a chance that my family may finally be impacted by the virus. We won't know for 4-8 more days (since testing in Ohio takes that long). My Great Uncle had been in a coma for awhile and finally passed. My Great Aunt went to see him many times at the hospital during the coma and after. As a tight knit family, a few family members did the same and came into town and stayed with other family members. My Great Aunt became very ill the day after her husbands death and is now being quarantined solo, they are hoping she's the only one impacted, but there is fear that others have been exposed. We're all hoping this is nothing more than a broken heart induced flu. Unfortunately, the folks that may have been exposed are all older.

Moral of the story, stay away from people and hospitals unless you have it. Hoping for good news in a few days. Stay safe all.

Hope everything turns out ok for your family.
chefo
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,386

Post#1559 » by chefo » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:19 pm

I'm with coldfish--the Chinese numbers are pure and utter rubbish:

1.) They changed the methodology several times, at some points excluding patients that showed no symptoms, then including them, then excluding them again... they changed how they counted so many times, the odds are, the final numbers are pure BS.

2.) There was a guy who ran the math the first month the infection was spreading and was almost 99% certain that either: a.) they are goal-seeking the reported number in excel or b.) the reported number is purely a function of how many people they can test in a day. If you remember, at one point the Chinese sent the army and police and told people to stay home because the hospitals were over capacity already. And if they caught you outside with symptoms, they sent you to one of the new makeshift 'hospitals', which were more detention facilities that had bare minimums of actual medical equipment. So, people stayed home, even when sick, and never got to a hospital because if they caught you before you got there, off you were to a place where if you didn't have it already, you'd definitely get it.

3.) The Chinese donated hundreds of thousands of test kits to multiple countries in Europe. Other countries bought much more; so, here's what's the feedback on the Chinese tests is--utter, unusable rubbish. The Czechs said they were getting 80% false negatives. The Spanish, 70%. Both are pissed off because a test with that kind of error rate is more dangerous than not taking a test at all, because you're releasing sick people back into the population. There were stories that Chinese doctors stopped using tests because they were so inaccurate, and instead started doing X-rays, where and when available, because you could see the pneumonia in the lungs clearly, or blood tests. But you can't screen that many people that way.

So, if I had to guess, the Chinese probably had 3-4 times as many infected, at the minimum, as reported. Deaths, who knows. And that was with riot police quarantining entire neighborhoods where there were cases. As in nobody leaves, period. At the peak, they had 700M people under quarantine for weeks.

In the USA, the measures are nowhere near as draconian... yet. The US made the same mistake the Chinese did early on--when they had a large outbreak, they let 5M citizens spread out from Wuhan for the Chinese New Year--this is where the rest of the world got it from. Same with NY--they probably have many more cases than reported, but they let hundreds of thousands of people from the most affected counties flee upstate, to NJ, NC and FL. Since I'm in FL--the reports were there were 90 full flights a day arriving to FL from NY every day for weeks, trying to escape. That's 20K+ people a day. The FL governor asked them to self-quarantine... to which the people interviewed upon arrival responded exactly how you would expect--FuOFF.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1560 » by Dresden » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:43 pm

I read that RI is stopping cars with NY plates at the border, and reminding them they need to self quarantine for 14 days. The ACLU is complaining about this. Probably rightfully so, but there really should be a containment effort to stop people from the NY region from spreading out around the country to escape. It's just going to spread it faster. I don't know legally how you can do that, but it would make sense medically.

Return to Chicago Bulls