ImageImageImage

NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,471

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#101 » by GoSixersBro » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:15 pm

My next re-watch: Game 6 of the 2013 Finals.

1) From the tip, Kawhi was impressively aggressive for a second year player in what could've been a title clinching game. Obviously hindsight is 20-20, but his game gave major clues he was going to be a problem in this league.

2) Props to Pat Riley and Co. for surrounding their 3 stars with the perfect role players. LeBron had an arsenal of shooters: Mario Chalmers, Ray Allen, Mike Miller, Shane Battier. Take note Elton. (I know it's easier to get players who wanted to play with LeBron, Wade, and Bosh compared to Simmons and Embiid. But still something to admire).

3) We may never see a player like Tim Duncan again. He was such a unique big man. Even at 37 years old during this series, he was a defensive force and made LeBron's ability to score in the paint very difficult. On offense he was no longer at a HoF level, but he was still so cerebral at the end of his career that he was always there to terrorize the offensive glass always being at the right place at the right time.

4) Wade was kinda washed at this point. You could tell his body was limiting his ability. Lots of off the dribble, mid-range jumpers/fadeaways that stagnated Miami's halfcourt offense and rhythm.

5) Down 10 after 3, LeBron scores 16 fourth quarter points. LeBron haters tend to forget this when they say he can thank Ray Allen for winning the 2013 title. :roll: Finished the game with a 32 pts, 10 reb, 11 ast triple double.

6) While we are talking about Ray Allen's shot that forced overtime, it has to be one of the top 3, if not THE most clutch shot in NBA Finals history, no? I started watching basketball in 2001, so if any of you old heads want to nominate buckets in the Finals you think were more clutch, feel free to post below.

7) Erik Spoelstra's decision to have LeBron guard Tony Parker all game is also something to talk about. LBJ had to really put in work. Parker's speed and quickness was incredible.

8) Sad T-Mac on the bench makes me a little sad. So, so close to an NBA championship.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#102 » by 76ciology » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:07 pm

Spoiler:
GoSixersBro wrote:So bored out of my mind/missing watching & playing basketball so much that I just rewatched Game 7 vs Toronto as I work from home.

Some thoughts that stuck out while rewatching ...

1) Really forgot how poorly both teams started the game on offense. Sixers 1/10 to start. At one point we were 5/25 and Toronto was 5/26 from the field.

2) Simmons defense for most of the game, but in particular the first half was outstanding. As some of our players started showing poor body language after a slow start, Simmons was buzzing around on defense at 110% and deserves major credit we stayed in the game.

3) Simmons in transition with Redick and Harris made me salivate. With JJ on his side on the break, Toronto was caught guessing and gave Ben more freedom to improvise. We sorely miss that this season. Harris on the run was nice because he seems to be far more comfortable/effective going 1-on-1 with some speed rather than in a slowed down offense where 5 defenders are present.

4) The Raptors' defense was really good containing Joel and deserved major credit, but the narrative Marc Gasol son'd him is a tad exaggerated. Embiid was missing a **** ton of good, wide open looks. I guess you can credit Gasol for making Embiid gravitate away from the paint, but Joel certainly played below his potential on offense scoring-wise (whether that be due to fatigue or injury, your guess is as good as mine).

5) Redick was a liability on defense, but IMO his shooting and presence on offense alone far outweighed how much he hurt us on D. Especially when Kawhi took almost 45% of Toronto's shots for that game which makes Redick's defensive woes less of a problem.

6) The amount of offensive rebounds and second chance points we gave up was the worst part of the loss, not the Kawhi game-winner if you ask me. Embiid was terrible on the defensive glass and got caught watching shots way too many times. I guess when Tobias is our 4 and Toronto is boasting Gasol-Ibaka-Siakam you'd think we'd experiencing some issues, but no. It was Kyle Lowry turning misses into second chance points on numerous occasions. It's a miracle we only lost by a buzzer beater in this game on the road to the eventual champions.

7) It's a shame this organization chose to go in a different direction last Summer. Despite how ugly this game was, there were glimpses that showed the Core 4 of Embiid-Simmons-Butler-Harris could find a way to work IMO. I think people forget how little this core played with each other in the regular season due to roster moves and injuries. I wish we got to see a full season of this Sixers team and honestly think they could've meshed better had this been the starting line-up in October. A lot of mistakes in this game looked like mistakes you see from a new group of players who haven't fully learned each others' tendencies nor developed that chemistry. Talent on paper can only take you so far.

8) **** Kyle Lowry. And Ibaka for that matter.

Same view with how the rebounding killed us. This is probably one of the reason why we added Al. Biid WILL defend Siakam and Giannis, if that happens we will again be outrebounded with Tobi or Ben at PF. If they have a couple center sized guys at the 4&5 positions, then we better have the size to match-up with them.

Second, after watching it the second time around, I thought we made the right move to move on with Jimmy.

In the last 4 minutes of the game, the offense was basically just either Jimmy, Jj and Biid. Ben was reduced at the dunker spot while Tobi was reduced to be a spot up shooter.

Jimmy wasn’t even that good in running the PnR. He just looked good running it because he’s the only guy on our team who can run the PnR. In that game the offense was quite stagnant with the Jimmy-Biid PnR. Jimmy isn’t a threat from the perimeter nor can he get anywhere on the court like a Kemba, Harden or CP3 running it.

JJ was big on our offense but he’s probably on his last 2 years in the league and it would not be wise to bank your the offense of your team at him. Would you want to still rely on a JJ-Biid DHO when we need a bucket? And at his age, he will going to get attacked on the other end.

That said..

The FO has done a good job. Last year’s team was championship or bust. #bringitback will have further long term irreversible consequences. The biggest setback will be not being able to develop both Tobi and Ben.

it’s best for the team that we get a handful of replacements for Jj (shake? Furkan? Burks?) while Ben and Tobias need to improved their games. And all these happened this season. It’s just Biid went thru the motions and Ben didn’t wake up until it’s 2020.

When our team Is healthy, no doubt we can be a contender this season.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,685

Post#103 » by 76thBearCub » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:50 am

We're doing just fine out here in the Midwest. Which makes it kind of annoying when I've heard over and over how this ain't nuthin and it's media hype. Never mind the economy going in the tank. Hope Philly is holding strong.

Sent from my LML212VL using RealGM mobile app
76ciology
RealGM

Post#104 » by 76ciology » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:27 am

I dont think the economy is going to tank because they will just do their stimulus. Trump and other leaders are very near re-election. They will do whatever it takes to make it look like they are saviors
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#105 » by 76ciology » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:43 am

Try to watch the last game of the Spurs-Pistons finals. Man.. the game really changed a lot. They finished the game with both teams scoring below 70. It was just a war of attrition where both teams have a hard time scoring.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#106 » by Sixerscan » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:37 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:My next re-watch: Game 6 of the 2013 Finals.

1) From the tip, Kawhi was impressively aggressive for a second year player in what could've been a title clinching game. Obviously hindsight is 20-20, but his game gave major clues he was going to be a problem in this league.

2) Props to Pat Riley and Co. for surrounding their 3 stars with the perfect role players. LeBron had an arsenal of shooters: Mario Chalmers, Ray Allen, Mike Miller, Shane Battier. Take note Elton. (I know it's easier to get players who wanted to play with LeBron, Wade, and Bosh compared to Simmons and Embiid. But still something to admire).

3) We may never see a player like Tim Duncan again. He was such a unique big man. Even at 37 years old during this series, he was a defensive force and made LeBron's ability to score in the paint very difficult. On offense he was no longer at a HoF level, but he was still so cerebral at the end of his career that he was always there to terrorize the offensive glass always being at the right place at the right time.

4) Wade was kinda washed at this point. You could tell his body was limiting his ability. Lots of off the dribble, mid-range jumpers/fadeaways that stagnated Miami's halfcourt offense and rhythm.

5) Down 10 after 3, LeBron scores 16 fourth quarter points. LeBron haters tend to forget this when they say he can thank Ray Allen for winning the 2013 title. :roll: Finished the game with a 32 pts, 10 reb, 11 ast triple double.

6) While we are talking about Ray Allen's shot that forced overtime, it has to be one of the top 3, if not THE most clutch shot in NBA Finals history, no? I started watching basketball in 2001, so if any of you old heads want to nominate buckets in the Finals you think were more clutch, feel free to post below.

7) Erik Spoelstra's decision to have LeBron guard Tony Parker all game is also something to talk about. LBJ had to really put in work. Parker's speed and quickness was incredible.

8) Sad T-Mac on the bench makes me a little sad. So, so close to an NBA championship.

11/12 and 12/13 Lebron was insane. Just hung out at the high post and tore teams apart. The rest of that Heat team was clearly off their game and that Spurs team was incredible, peak Lebron and MJ were the only two people that could have won that series.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#107 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:09 pm

Apparently AC is being considered as a potential option for a single venue location for all 16 playoff teams.

It'll never happen (better alternative host cities are also in the running), but man that would be entertaining. Embiid better stay the hell away from White House Subs.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,155

Post#108 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:37 pm

I understand the owners need to make their money, but this isn’t going to die down sooner than July. It hasn’t even begun to peak *insert Dennis meme here*
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#109 » by Negrodamus » Wed Apr 1, 2020 12:44 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:I understand the owners need to make their money, but this isn’t going to die down sooner than July. It hasn’t even begun to peak *insert Dennis meme here*

I believe they are weighing the possibility of playing games in an empty gym right now. Take a hit on arena revenue, but bank on a huge surge in tv viewers. It’s possible, but they’d have to hammer out logistics like keeping the teams away from the outside world for the remainder of the season.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#110 » by 76ciology » Wed Apr 1, 2020 6:33 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:I understand the owners need to make their money, but this isn’t going to die down sooner than July. It hasn’t even begun to peak *insert Dennis meme here*

I believe they are weighing the possibility of playing games in an empty gym right now. Take a hit on arena revenue, but bank on a huge surge in tv viewers. It’s possible, but they’d have to hammer out logistics like keeping the teams away from the outside world for the remainder of the season.

Would be interesting if teams would say their player is feeling flu like symptoms to extend their rest in a playoff series in order to kill momentum
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#111 » by VDT » Sat Apr 4, 2020 10:03 pm

Sports are probably going to be one of the last things to return to the pre virus state.

Unless there is either a nationwide decision to continue life as before no matter what or the virus has completely disappeared i have a hard time seeing the NBA continuing with the regular season or the playoffs. Having a coach die from the virus or a player forced to retire due to lung damage would be terrible for the league and they could be sued for millions.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#112 » by 76ciology » Sun Apr 5, 2020 3:47 am

VDT wrote:Sports are probably going to be one of the last things to return to the pre virus state.

Unless there is either a nationwide decision to continue life as before no matter what or the virus has completely disappeared i have a hard time seeing the NBA continuing with the regular season or the playoffs. Having a coach die from the virus or a player forced to retire due to lung damage would be terrible for the league and they could be sued for millions.

Agree
76ciology
RealGM

Post#113 » by 76ciology » Sun Apr 5, 2020 3:55 am

Who are the winners (if there is any) and losers of this situation we’re in?

I really feel like the Lakers and the Bucks are the biggest losers.

We also take a hit with Al’s contract and not being able to max his first year with us, which he is projected to naturally decline going forward. Man, imagine how bad it would have been if we opted to go all in with Butler and JJ, atleast we hedged with Josh Rich and invested more on Tobi and Ben.

Brightside is we get to forget this season ever happened. We were supposed to come out as favorites in the east as per 538, but Embiid went thru the emotion while our guys like JRich and Ben got injured.

Chris Paul and Rose, both on their last 3 years maybe, were having great years.

Vince Carter never got a decent farewell tour.

Brett is a winner here, he should have more time to figure out the team LOL

Whether you agree with me or not, I think Ben takes a hit here. He was on an upward momentum before he went down. But then.. he could be the biggest winner also because he should have more time to heal his back.

Thybulle should improve his creativity and hand and eye coordination by doing tiktok videos. Another big win
76ciology
RealGM

Post#114 » by 76ciology » Sun Apr 5, 2020 7:58 am

Watch this
SexDrugsPnR
Bench Warmer
And1: 724

Post#115 » by SexDrugsPnR » Mon Apr 6, 2020 8:22 am

76ciology wrote:

Watch this

chart analysis is a nerdy way of predicting the future by looking into a crystal ball
76ciology
RealGM

Post#116 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 6, 2020 8:41 am

SexDrugsPnR wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Watch this

chart analysis is a nerdy way of predicting the future by looking into a crystal ball

Chart is a guide. It’s more accurate for long term predictions than short term.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#117 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 6, 2020 8:51 am

76ciology wrote:
SexDrugsPnR wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Watch this

Chart is a guide. It’s more accurate for long term predictions than short term.

Look at this video. It’s uploaded 6 months ago and it already predicted a crash in 2020
SexDrugsPnR
Bench Warmer
And1: 724

Post#118 » by SexDrugsPnR » Mon Apr 6, 2020 12:16 pm

I'd rather trust Paul the Octopus to predict the stock market than any technical analyst.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Octopus

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. If you predict enough stuff, some of it is bound to happen.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#119 » by snoopdogg88 » Mon Apr 6, 2020 3:45 pm

The bucks are gonna get 94 Expo’d. Absolutely brutal for them. They may not recover from this.

The NBA isn’t coming back this season. Just too much at risk and we’re running out of time. It would be too rushed.

This is a blessing for us. Simmons wasn’t gonna be ready for the playoffs anyway and I fear he may have tried to rush back. It would’ve been an embarrassingly early exit for us.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#120 » by Negrodamus » Mon Apr 6, 2020 5:35 pm

snoopdogg88 wrote:The bucks are gonna get 94 Expo’d. Absolutely brutal for them. They may not recover from this.

The NBA isn’t coming back this season. Just too much at risk and we’re running out of time. It would be too rushed.

This is a blessing for us. Simmons wasn’t gonna be ready for the playoffs anyway and I fear he may have tried to rush back. It would’ve been an embarrassingly early exit for us.

It's not exactly great for us either. I mean, unless management figures out how to make the correct moves this offseason to maximize Embiid and Simmons's value, we just burned another year of a potential playoff run with our two stars in the beginning of their prime.

However, this has been an excellent season for the GS Warriors. Technically, their Finals streak hasn't been broken and they get a top 3 pick most likely!

Return to Philadelphia 76ers