2016 Chino Hills HS team with 3 future lottery picks

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,894

Re: 2016 Chino Hills HS team with 3 future lottery picks 

Post#21 » by lakerz12 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:30 pm

The-Power wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:Well yeah it's three players who all have Lavar's seed, so what do you expect?

That's not even true.

If it's not true then explain why... :crazy:
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#22 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:56 pm

The-Power wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:Well yeah it's three players who all have Lavar's seed, so what do you expect?

That's not even true.

Maybe he knows something we don't... 8-) :lol:
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#23 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:56 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
The-Power wrote:

That's not even true.

We are talking about the 3 potential lottery picks, not 3 brothers.
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,894

Post#24 » by lakerz12 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:59 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
The-Power wrote:That's not even true.

We are talking about the 3 potential lottery picks, not 3 brothers.

The OP talks about the team as a whole. The last sentence is "Not bad for a team described as 3 brothers, their cousin, and a good friend."

And obviously I was joking and referring to the team as a whole and to the 3 brothers being on it. Seems pretty clear.

I guess poor wording by me. What I meant was --- "well it's a team that has 3 players that come from Lavar".
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,043

Post#25 » by The-Power » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:23 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
The-Power wrote:

That's not even true.

The OP explicitly notes in the headline that they had three future lottery picks and obviously on two of the three are from the Ball family. The third one isn't, and he's pretty significant – both as a prospect right now and for what Chino Hills did in HS.
Hoopstar23
Veteran
And1: 1,862

Post#26 » by Hoopstar23 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:23 pm

that 2016 Chino Hills team is one of the best high school teams of all time
NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#27 » by NPZ » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:53 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:Has there been a movie/documentary made about the 2016 Chino Hills team?

I went to Chino High, not Chino Hills. Chino is a grungy prison town, commonly referenced in prison/gang movies/songs and such. "I'm on my way ta Chee-NO, rollin on the Gray Goose." Chino Hills is for the soft richies like the Balls. They use Hills to differentiate between their nice school and 2016 boys' bball team from the former dairy town that used to smell like cowsht 24/7 back in the late 80s.
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
Scuall
Sixth Man
And1: 2,761

Post#28 » by Scuall » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:20 am

NPZ wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:Has there been a movie/documentary made about the 2016 Chino Hills team?

from the former dairy town that used to smell like cowsht 24/7 back in the late 80s.

I remember I had a project there in the mid-90s and the smell was so strong I had to duck into a little coffee shop to take a break. I asked the worker how could she stand the smell and she just replied, "You just get used to it." It wasn't only the cows, but some industrial stuff going on as well.
NPZ
Analyst

Post#29 » by NPZ » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:00 pm

Scuall wrote:
NPZ wrote:

from the former dairy town that used to smell like cowsht 24/7 back in the late 80s.

I remember I had a project there in the mid-90s and the smell was so strong I had to duck into a little coffee shop to take a break. I asked the worker how could she stand the smell and she just replied, "You just get used to it." It wasn't only the cows, but some industrial stuff going on as well.

Circa 87ish when there was still a lot of dairy activity, the general air could smell like freshly laid manure. Let's say you were in a parking lot and there was a patch of newly sodded ground about 10 feet away from you. It would smell a touch more faint than if you were standing right next to it, but you would still get those telltale wafts every so often. That's what it was like even away from the dairy. The smell wasn't localized just by the dairy areas, it was general air. I've driven past Gilroy, CA (garlic capital of the world) and I think that would be even worse than manure. It was so pungent while whisking past it on the freeway with rolled up windows that I couldn't imagine how long it would take for your nose to get used to how potent the garlic smell was. And I love garlic. You could be eating full-on garlic spaghetti and it wouldn't smell as potent as it did just driving by it. That was 20 yrs ago and it still makes an impression. It was Novemberish I'm gonna say. I don't know when harvest time for garlic is, but maybe that was its time of the year.

Scuall
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by Scuall » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:44 pm

NPZ wrote:
Scuall wrote:
NPZ wrote:

Circa 87ish when there was still a lot of dairy activity, the general air could smell like freshly laid manure. Let's say you were in a parking lot and there was a patch of newly sodded ground about 10 feet away from you. It would smell a touch more faint than if you were standing right next to it, but you would still get those telltale wafts every so often. That's what it was like even away from the dairy. The smell wasn't localized just by the dairy areas, it was general air. I've driven past Gilroy, CA (garlic capital of the world) and I think that would be even worse than manure. It was so pungent while whisking past it on the freeway with rolled up windows that I couldn't imagine how long it would take for your nose to get used to how potent the garlic smell was. And I love garlic. You could be eating full-on garlic spaghetti and it wouldn't smell as potent as it did just driving by it. That was 20 yrs ago and it still makes an impression. It was Novemberish I'm gonna say. I don't know when harvest time for garlic is, but maybe that was its time of the year.

Getting a little off topic (OK a lot off topic) but I will one up you. IMO one of the most beautiful places in the world has the worst stench (this may have leveled off a bit as one of the factories closed). American Samoa, particular in Pago Pago (pronounced Pago Pago). Here's a pic:

The end of that harbor leads to the canning factory where most of the world's tuna gets canned. If you've ever had a tuna fish sandwich, odds are it was from American Samoa. Take a can of tuna, open it and let it rot in the sun for about a week, then hold it up to your nose and take a long whiff. Yeah that's Pago Pago, and you can smell it at least a mile out from the city.
TJ_Ford_11
Rookie
And1: 907

Post#31 » by TJ_Ford_11 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:30 am

Scuall wrote:
NPZ wrote:
Scuall wrote:

Getting a little off topic (OK a lot off topic) but I will one up you. IMO one of the most beautiful places in the world has the worst stench (this may have leveled off a bit as one of the factories closed). American Samoa, particular in Pago Pago (pronounced Pago Pago). Here's a pic:

The end of that harbor leads to the canning factory where most of the world's tuna gets canned. If you've ever had a tuna fish sandwich, odds are it was from American Samoa. Take a can of tuna, open it and let it rot in the sun for about a week, then hold it up to your nose and take a long whiff. Yeah that's Pago Pago, and you can smell it at least a mile out from the city.

Lol on the pronunciation.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,221

Post#32 » by monopoman » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:26 am

I will laugh if Lamelo goes in the top 3-4 picks of the draft, his brother was overrated as **** going into the draft and I'm sure he will be also.

It seemed like every Laker fan kept trying to convince us that Lonzo was going to be a superstar and we all know how that went.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#33 » by Lalouie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:12 am

Scuall wrote:Despite your feelings about the egotistical dad, erratic jump shooting Lonzo, thieves guild member LiAngelo, and matador defender Lamelo, the national champion 2016 Chino Hills team is about to have their 2nd and 3rd lottery picks in the 2020 draft. Lamelo is top-2 and Onyeka Okongwu (declared today) will be gone by picks 8-9. That would be impressive for a private school that recruits nationally, or even for a top-ranked university. Just unbelievable when you consider Chino Hills is a public school.

Here's one of the highlight games of the season against Mater Dei, a Div I filled team that many considered would be Chino Hills first loss of the season. Game was over in the 3rd minute.

I gotta admit LiAngelo was a baller. He was never going to the NBA, but he could definitely light it up. Not bad for a team described as 3 brothers, their cousin, and a good friend.

so why do you call him a lottery. you could have said two lottery picks from chino hills and it would have been impressive enough. :) :) :)
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#34 » by Pennebaker » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:05 am

Maybe it's just all a mistake and so actually in retrospect it's not that impressive.
Picasso
Rookie
And1: 896

Post#35 » by Picasso » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:11 am

Show about a shoe sales man glorifying his past. Married with children or modern family. ;)
I had to jump off the boat to walk on water.
Golden Knight
Analyst
And1: 4,965

Post#37 » by Golden Knight » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:52 am

Lalouie wrote:
Scuall wrote:Despite your feelings about the egotistical dad, erratic jump shooting Lonzo, thieves guild member LiAngelo, and matador defender Lamelo, the national champion 2016 Chino Hills team is about to have their 2nd and 3rd lottery picks in the 2020 draft. Lamelo is top-2 and Onyeka Okongwu (declared today) will be gone by picks 8-9. That would be impressive for a private school that recruits nationally, or even for a top-ranked university. Just unbelievable when you consider Chino Hills is a public school.

Here's one of the highlight games of the season against Mater Dei, a Div I filled team that many considered would be Chino Hills first loss of the season. Game was over in the 3rd minute.

I gotta admit LiAngelo was a baller. He was never going to the NBA, but he could definitely light it up. Not bad for a team described as 3 brothers, their cousin, and a good friend.

so why do you call him a lottery. you could have said two lottery picks from chino hills and it would have been impressive enough. :) :) :)

The 3rd lottery pick is Onyeka Okongwu not LiAngelo. He stated that in the 2nd sentence...
Scuall
Sixth Man

Post#38 » by Scuall » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:23 pm

TJ_Ford_11 wrote:
Scuall wrote:
NPZ wrote:

Lol on the pronunciation.

LOL oops. It's pronounced Pongo-Pongo.
Scuall
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by Scuall » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:24 pm

Lalouie wrote:

Onyeka Okongwu the starting center (a freshman at the time) will also be a lottery pick.
NPZ
Analyst

Post#40 » by NPZ » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:59 am

Scuall wrote:

Yeah, fishy odor conjures up bad fears in most men's minds. One amazing odor place I forgot to give props to was Tijuana, downtown. People who've never been to downtown LA think we got everyone beat on smog. I don't think so. We may have most of ours above nose level at least. Whenever you go to TJ, you know for certain that they don't know what a smog check is. If they do, they just don't bother enforcing them. It's got LA beaten on ground level exhaust smells imo and it's not even close. Their streets are as pungent as it would be in gridlock on a US freeway with some semis in front of you. I'm sure there's worse places as far as smog goes, but I've had a Western hemisphere kinda lyfe.

Return to The General Board