Mid-Level Exception Will Be Considered 'Priority Exception' In 2020 Offseason

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Mid-Level Exception Will Be Considered 'Priority Exception' In 2020 Offseason 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:29 pm

The NBA was already expected to have a bear market this offseason due to the lack of teams with functional cap space, but the anticipated lowering of the cap for 20-21 due to COVID-19 will make the use of exceptions even more invaluable for teams to sign free agents.

"The mid-level exeception is going to be like the priority exception," said Bobby Marks on The Hoop Collective Podcast. "With so few teams with cap space, these numbers might go down a little bit further. Teams that have that $9.8 million exception... you might be able to go get a guy that's looking for $15 million to $16 million. Or you might be able to split that up among two guys getting $10 million each."

The NBA sent out an estimated cap number for 20-21 at the end of January at $115 million, which was down from $116 million.

Via Bobby Marks/ESPN

Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Re: Mid-Level Exception Will Be Considered 'Priority Exception' In 2020 Offseason 

Post#2 » by Cassius » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:13 pm

Hopefully the league gives an estimate for 2021 as well by the opening of this offseason. The Giannis sweepstakes will look a lot different if some teams can no longer create a max slot. It's a shame the Knicks are so terribly run, because they could really put a decent squad together to build around Barrett this summer by signing a new backcourt:

PG - Sign Van Vleet (20M per)
SG - Sign Bogdanovic (20M per)
SF - Barrett
PF - Randle
C - Robinson
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Re: Mid-Level Exception Will Be Considered 'Priority Exception' In 2020 Offseason 

Post#3 » by alienpick » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:21 pm

Cassius wrote:Hopefully the league gives an estimate for 2021 as well by the opening of this offseason. The Giannis sweepstakes will look a lot different if some teams can no longer create a max slot. It's a shame the Knicks are so terribly run, because they could really put a decent squad together to build around Barrett this summer by signing a new backcourt:

SF - Barrette
PF - Randle
C - Robinson

We’re not going to let you get FVV
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#4 » by Sam195 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:22 am

alienpick wrote:
Cassius wrote:Hopefully the league gives an estimate for 2021 as well by the opening of this offseason. The Giannis sweepstakes will look a lot different if some teams can no longer create a max slot. It's a shame the Knicks are so terribly run, because they could really put a decent squad together to build around Barrett this summer by signing a new backcourt:

SF - Barrette
PF - Randle
C - Robinson

If the salary cap drops I see a higher likelihood the Raptors bring the band back together for 2020-21 season. Ibaka, Gasol and Van Vleet will likely be more open to signing larger 1 year contracts similar to Kyle Lowry's extension then go pursue multi-year contracts in free agency with Raptors or another team under a lower salary cap. I don't think FVL or Ibaka want to be locking in deals at a discount for multiple years. I always saw Marc Gasol after his injury prone season resigning in Toronto for a 1 year deal at a reduced salary he is no longer a $25M+ player probably closer to $10M or lower. Masai is likely still hoping Giannis pushes for free agency in 2021 but with the salary cap tanking due to Covid-19 I don't think many will blame him if he just grabs the bag and signs a full 5 year guaranteed Supermax extension with the Bucks that likely will be in the neighborhood of $240M with significant upfront signing bonuses each year (so Giannis can invest his money faster and make higher investment returns off his contract cash).
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#5 » by Sam195 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:32 am

I guess it is safe to assume Gordon Hayward, Demar Derozan and Andre Drummond will all opt into their contracts for 2020-2021 which are each worth $32M, $28M and $25M respectively. Anthony Davis will likely resign with the Lakers on a 2+1 max deal (based on a raise from his his 19-20 salary which will be higher than the max under a lower salary cap) like Kawhi did with the Clippers so he can cash in a supermax contract in 2022 as a 10 season veteran under a higher salary cap.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#6 » by Cassius » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:06 pm

alienpick wrote:

SF - Barrette
PF - Randle
C - Robinson

Check my sig/profile. I'm a Raps fan, just stating facts on the Knicks.

Sam195 wrote:If the salary cap drops I see a higher likelihood the Raptors bring the band back together for 2020-21 season. Ibaka, Gasol and Van Vleet will likely be more open to signing larger 1 year contracts similar to Kyle Lowry's extension then go pursue multi-year contracts in free agency with Raptors or another team under a lower salary cap. I don't think FVL or Ibaka want to be locking in deals at a discount for multiple years. I always saw Marc Gasol after his injury prone season resigning in Toronto for a 1 year deal at a reduced salary he is no longer a $25M+ player probably closer to $10M or lower. Masai is likely still hoping Giannis pushes for free agency in 2021 but with the salary cap tanking due to Covid-19 I don't think many will blame him if he just grabs the bag and signs a full 5 year guaranteed Supermax extension with the Bucks that likely will be in the neighborhood of $240M with significant upfront signing bonuses each year (so Giannis can invest his money faster and make higher investment returns off his contract cash).

Agreed on the Raptors' players, but 2021 is going to be a crowded market so it's a gamble either way. Fred could probably convince himself that he'll have an even better season next year, but a guy like Serge is already 30, so for him to repeat his production and get something Horford-esque from another team, might be a tall order a year from now. I'm hoping that Marc doesn't want to move again and takes a discount for another 50 games lol.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.

Return to Wiretap Discussion