Nets Expected To Use Young Talent To Acquire Third Star

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Nets Expected To Use Young Talent To Acquire Third Star 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:39 pm

The Brooklyn Nets are expected to continue to reshape their roster around Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving.

"I believe they have telegraphed they intend to use some of their young talent to acquire a third star along with Kyrie and Durant," said Brian Windhorst. "Now, we can get enter a healthy debate here about whether Caris LeVert is that third star and they make the decision that he is. But my feel reading the tea leaves, paying attention to what Sean Marks has said and also being aware of some conversations they had at the trade deadline, which was sticking the toe in the water on some things, I think they're going to swing for the fences whenever the season comes. They're going to have to potentially hire a coach that is going to help them do that."

The Nets' two biggest trade chips are believed to be LeVert and Jarrett Allen, though Spencer Dinwiddie could be another player they can trade to acquire a third star. Dinwiddie has been a solid backup for Irving, who has also filled in due to injuries. 

Bradley Beal and Jrue Holiday are two players mentioned by Windhorst as possible targets as they're a pair of players who could become available on the trade market.

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Re: Nets Expected To Use Young Talent To Acquire Third Star 

Post#2 » by Elnegron » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:30 pm

None of them would work with kyrie and it would take draft picks to pry Beal away
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#3 » by Vegeta10176 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:59 pm

Elnegron wrote:None of them would work with kyrie and it would take draft picks to pry Beal away

I am going to assume they will give up a lot of draft picks for Beal..Kyrie Beal Durant not bad.. Only team with a true but 3 then..
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,321

Post#4 » by Scalabrine » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:30 pm

I dont understand why everyone is so sure that Beal will be available this off-season. They just "weathered the storm" of having Wall out for a year and a half and now he's coming back on a fresh massive extension. You think the Wizards are going to trade Beal and start a rebuild while they still have Wall making 40 million a year? I feel like they'd want to get that pair back together and pair them with the young guys that they already have instead of leaving Wall as the lone star on the team.

It would take a pretty nice offer to get Beal from the Wizards. Lavert is probably their best trade asset and he's only a year younger than Beal (26 and 27 going into next season). Is a Lavert/Prince, Philly 2020 First and BK 2022 1st enough of a package to get Beal?
Go Knicks!
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,321

Post#5 » by Scalabrine » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:36 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:
Elnegron wrote:None of them would work with kyrie and it would take draft picks to pry Beal away

I am going to assume they will give up a lot of draft picks for Beal..Kyrie Beal Durant not bad.. Only team with a true but 3 then..

I imagine theyd want to keep Dinwiddie as a Irving insurance so it'd probably be Lavert/Prince/2 FRPs for Beal. Gives the Nets a depth chart of:

Allen/Jordan/Claxton
Durant/Kurucs
Temple/Musa
Beal/Dinwiddie
Irving/Dinwiddie

They have Joe Harris too but keeping him would put them in the luxury tax. Marks is going to have to continue to be creative while building out the rest of this core because they are right up against the cap.
Go Knicks!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,629

Post#6 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:53 pm

Julius Randle? :)
Free Palestine
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#7 » by TheCage4 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:05 pm

Don’t you need two stars before you add a third?
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#8 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:22 pm

You guys can take Draymond Green.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#9 » by Cassius » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:35 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:You guys can take Draymond Green.

Funny. He's actually the kind of player they need. Aaron Gordon, Isaac, Cedi Osman, Mikal Bridges, Anunoby... they need defenders and passers more than another offensive player. If Spencer sticks around, there won't be enough ball for everyone.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#10 » by Barcs » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:42 pm

Because that worked so well last time LOL.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#11 » by hyberx » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:20 pm

Heck no, unless they are trading us KD, lol. Draymond is the heart and soul of the Ws. Sure his production wasn't like before this season, but with Curry and Klay coming back Draymond is the perfect glue guy (like he's always been) to put this team back to contending. No way we are trading him.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,210

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:23 pm

I thought DJ was the 3rd star!
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,210

Post#13 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:34 pm

hyberx wrote:

Heck no, unless they are trading us KD, lol. Draymond is the heart and soul of the Ws. Sure his production wasn't like before this season, but with Curry and Klay coming back Draymond is the perfect glue guy (like he's always been) to put this team back to contending. No way we are trading him.

That "glue guy" cost them a title. Everything he did to disrupt the league with small ball is now being done by better players on other teams. Teams loaded up to deal with him. It took a couple of seasons to for the league to adjust, but it has. If KD hadn't gone to GSW they would have been one-and-done. Draymond is potentially the most overrated player of the last decade.

Bam! :cheesygrin:
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Post#14 » by DCRYsing89 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:09 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:I thought DJ was the 3rd star!

And GT the 4th?
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#15 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:51 pm

Kuzma for LaVert 8-) :D
zappafrank
Junior
And1: 158

Post#16 » by zappafrank » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:37 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:I thought DJ was the 3rd star!

my exact thought too!
Bk68
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#17 » by Bk68 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:29 am

I can't wait to get this team rolling. Gonna be awesome to watch. 2 overly sensitive players, a mystery third star who won't get star money, New York media and no coach. What could go wrong?
Please make it Stan VanGundy at coach. He was so good when he was coaching last century. G st your popcorn ready
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#18 » by East Bay Sports » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:53 am

how bout not
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#19 » by East Bay Sports » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:58 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
hyberx wrote:

That "glue guy" cost them a title. Everything he did to disrupt the league with small ball is now being done by better players on other teams. Teams loaded up to deal with him. It took a couple of seasons to for the league to adjust, but it has. If KD hadn't gone to GSW they would have been one-and-done. Draymond is potentially the most overrated player of the last decade.

Bam! :cheesygrin:

Read on Twitter
?s=20
oceanlife
Junior
And1: 727

Post#20 » by oceanlife » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:56 am

Brooklyns problem won't be their shot creators, it's their non-star core players. They need guys who can grab the extra rebounds to give Kyrie and Durant a few extra looks, who can take on the hardest two or three match ups so that the offensive stars can get energy on D guarding the scrubs. Going with the "big 3" lineups might have been en vogue ten years ago, but it's not the way to win championships now.

But since we are talking about Tsai, I hope he trades for a 40 million dollar a year 3rd star just to waste his money.

Return to Wiretap Discussion