ImageImage

Mark Cuban says June 1 is the over/under, he's under

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Will the season resume before or after June 1?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:11 pm

Before June
17%
June 1 or after
83%

Total votes: 18

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Mark Cuban says June 1 is the over/under, he's under 

Post#21 » by d-train » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:20 pm

Apparently, we finally have a reliable realtime test to verify the China coronavirus. This is a big development if true.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,315

Post#22 » by Shem » Wed Apr 1, 2020 4:21 am

Oden2 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:I think it's ridiculous to believe the season could start by June 1. All it would take is one player or one official or one coach or one scorekeeper or one announcer to contract the disease, and the season, such as it was, would be on 'postponed' again.

The entire US would have to go on lockdown for a couple of months; and it couldn't be a passive lockdown like we have now. But with GOP controlled states refusing to accept the realities of the science on this, nothing like a lock down will happen. And even with a national lockdown, which the buffoon in the white house wouldn't allow, as soon as the restrictions were eased, somebody, somewhere, would start spreading the disease again. And next winter, and flu season, starts in just 6 months

the NBA should just take the hit and $hitcan this season. Then start worrying about next season. Sports should just take a hiatus until there's either a vaccine or a bulletproof treatment

Oh give me a break! I won’t rebuttal as politics are not allowed in the forum but if I could I’d speak my mind about this GOP blame game!

I'll just leave this here.

Read on Twitter
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
BigtimeNBAfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,960

Post#23 » by BigtimeNBAfan » Wed Apr 1, 2020 9:56 pm

We have seen the last game with fans of the 19-20 season, but I could see the games resuming without fans in June. These players have access to tests and better medical care and more importantly immediate medical care if they test positive. Gobert and Mitchell are both doing fine now. If they stayed on top of this and monitored it closely they could have a fanless tournament in a few months.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#24 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Apr 2, 2020 1:23 am

Norm2953 wrote:Moderators must be asleep for I believe we were all told to keep politics off this board

What else is there to talk about at this point and why would a moderator bother coming to this site but once in a blue moon until this thing is over, which will be a while. I just dont see the season resuming unless they intend to but up to next season or make some serious changes to the playoffs this year.

Stay Home
Stay Safe
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#25 » by PDXKnight » Thu Apr 2, 2020 12:51 pm

Shem wrote:
Oden2 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:I think it's ridiculous to believe the season could start by June 1. All it would take is one player or one official or one coach or one scorekeeper or one announcer to contract the disease, and the season, such as it was, would be on 'postponed' again.

The entire US would have to go on lockdown for a couple of months; and it couldn't be a passive lockdown like we have now. But with GOP controlled states refusing to accept the realities of the science on this, nothing like a lock down will happen. And even with a national lockdown, which the buffoon in the white house wouldn't allow, as soon as the restrictions were eased, somebody, somewhere, would start spreading the disease again. And next winter, and flu season, starts in just 6 months

the NBA should just take the hit and $hitcan this season. Then start worrying about next season. Sports should just take a hiatus until there's either a vaccine or a bulletproof treatment

Oh give me a break! I won’t rebuttal as politics are not allowed in the forum but if I could I’d speak my mind about this GOP blame game!

I'll just leave this here.

Read on Twitter

Yup that’s true but apparently everyone is keen on blaming one side here even which I think is nonsensical
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,163

Post#26 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Thu Apr 2, 2020 10:12 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Moderators must be asleep for I believe we were all told to keep politics off this board

What else is there to talk about at this point and why would a moderator bother coming to this site but once in a blue moon until this thing is over, which will be a while. I just dont see the season resuming unless they intend to but up to next season or make some serious changes to the playoffs this year.

Stay Home
Stay Safe

Politics isn't a problem unless it becomes a problem. Some people cant be adults about it and treat it like its a sports team, mine team versus yours. Which in this context is somewhat ironic I suppose.

Personally I would prefer people not get too deep into politics here. There are plenty of other spaces to go for that on the internet, lets keep this about sports. But I hate playing the censor so I hope everyone just plays nice and keeps my job easy.
d-train
RealGM

Post#27 » by d-train » Sat Apr 4, 2020 11:02 pm

Read on Twitter

That's a lot of testing. I wonder what is the capacity of producing the test kit? Also, I don't know where to find it, but some good data would be to track the results of this testing. It would be better than the hindsight data that is being widely reported. Antibody testing would also be nice to have. How many antibody tests are being given and how many asymptomatic and undiagnosed people have recovered from the China virus?
d-train
RealGM

Post#28 » by d-train » Sun Apr 5, 2020 6:24 am

d-train wrote:https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=415&t=1953960

The NBA's first China virus cases have recovered. The significant part of this report is Utah's players and staff were 'certified' as cleared by the Utah Department of Health. Why would Jazz request UDH's clearance unless they are checking off milestones to restart games?

Then there is this:
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/257787/Adam-Silver-NBA-To-Return-Once-It-Receives-All-Clear-From-Public-Health-Officials

So far, Jazz and Lakers are cleared. That's 2 down and 28 to go.
d-train
RealGM

Post#29 » by d-train » Wed Apr 8, 2020 10:06 pm

Has anyone noticed the forecasting models for predicting China coronavirus doom are being adjusted rapidly to reflect a far more positive outcome? We are at or near the peak of this thing and there isn't going to be 100k deaths, not even close. 100k was the supposed optimistic number, the pessimistic number was 240k. The death rate per day is still going to increase for maybe a week because it's a trailing statistic. The IHME's new death projection is 60.4K with total deaths flatlining by around mid May. Remember, deaths are a trailing number. I believe in a week or 2, that 60.4K will be almost as ridiculous as the previous 100K forecast. The new IHME projected peak need for ventilators is 16.5K. Remember, the idiot NY Governor demanding 80k ventilators. The new IHME projection for ventilators needed in NY is 5k.

So, they are going to keep adjusting their models until everyone of these think-tanks can say they got it right.
d-train
RealGM

Post#30 » by d-train » Thu Apr 9, 2020 7:26 pm

Did anyone listen to Lillard's 34 minute interview by Ernie Johnson? Lillard wants to play the remaining regular season games to have a chance at making the playoffs. I don't believe that's going to happen. The NBA is going to go right to the playoffs when they restart.
d-train
RealGM

Post#31 » by d-train » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:08 am

The NBA and players are discussing how to restart the season.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=415&t=1958034
d-train
RealGM

Post#32 » by d-train » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:40 pm

Re-opening NBA basketball in May-June is looking more probable than not. Teams are working to open practice facilities.
d-train
RealGM

Post#34 » by d-train » Sat May 2, 2020 11:43 pm

I also like the idea of the NBA finishing the 19-20 season in Las Vegas, where they are wanted. Screw the BS of dealing with politics and 30 different locations. Play the games in Vegas and fulfill the national TV contracts. And, mitigate local losses with what can be made in Vegas.
d-train
RealGM

Post#35 » by d-train » Wed May 6, 2020 7:58 am

NBA has notified all 30 teams that they intend to allow practice facilities in non-commie States to reopen on Friday. Is Oregon a commie State? If we are, I want Blazers to take their business to another State. I don't want Blazers to be encumbered by politics.
LillardTime
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#36 » by LillardTime » Wed May 6, 2020 8:43 pm

d-train wrote:Has anyone noticed the forecasting models for predicting China coronavirus doom are being adjusted rapidly to reflect a far more positive outcome? We are at or near the peak of this thing and there isn't going to be 100k deaths, not even close. 100k was the supposed optimistic number, the pessimistic number was 240k. The death rate per day is still going to increase for maybe a week because it's a trailing statistic. The IHME's new death projection is 60.4K with total deaths flatlining by around mid May. Remember, deaths are a trailing number. I believe in a week or 2, that 60.4K will be almost as ridiculous as the previous 100K forecast. The new IHME projected peak need for ventilators is 16.5K. Remember, the idiot NY Governor demanding 80k ventilators. The new IHME projection for ventilators needed in NY is 5k.

So, they are going to keep adjusting their models until everyone of these think-tanks can say they got it right.

Donald is that you?

Death toll is going to fly past 100,000. Chances of season re-starting before June 1 seem to be 0 given I’m sure I read somewhere the NBA wanted to allow for a 25 day mini pre-season (15 days for players to quarantine and then 10 days for teams to have group workouts). Maybe by July 1 would be more realistic. This would make it very hard to complete the remaining regular season games.
d-train
RealGM

Post#37 » by d-train » Wed May 6, 2020 9:15 pm

July 1 sounds great. June 1 was the date Mark Cuban put out there and considering when he did, I would say Mark Cuban made an astute analysis. Right now, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to predict the season will restart by July 1. Cuban could have said August 1 or September 1, and 90% of everyone would have said he was crazy.

I always believed the NBA would go right to the playoffs. The playoffs make twice the profit as regular season games and have historic significance. This said, the NBA hasn't ruled out playing all the games.
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 133

Post#38 » by ebott » Sun May 17, 2020 5:27 am

All I know at this point is that the Blazers didn't make the playoffs. So I don't really care if they do a playoffs only season.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#39 » by PDXKnight » Sun May 17, 2020 5:24 pm

ebott wrote:All I know at this point is that the Blazers didn't make the playoffs. So I don't really care if they do a playoffs only season.

The dreaded 14 seed no less. Hopefully a healthy roster makes a significant difference. I do think it will but if health or winning games becomes a consistent issue we’d be looking at a 2021 or 2022 rebuild.

I suppose 2022 is a good time to call it off anyhow if things don’t go well. Dame is near or in his prime and ideally we can build around him in any miniature rebuild scenario. Perhaps we can swing for the fences?

I pose this question to all: Are there any realistic names we could trade some Combo of non dame players for? KAT? Simmons? LMA? Gobert? Beal? Really when I look at the landscape I can’t see anything realistic that makes us a contender outside of us pulling off a pipe dream trade Or dealing away a mega pick package
d-train
RealGM

Post#40 » by d-train » Mon May 18, 2020 2:43 pm

It's better for Blazers and fans here if the regular season is resumed. Honestly, if I was Adam Silver, I would go right to playoffs.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers