Free Agent Talk

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#841 » by wco81 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:41 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:Posted on another thread...but I think the move i s stealing AD from Lakers in FA.

They'd have to dump Green's salary+ to fit AD in.

What about Wiggins' salary?

Easier said then done. Probably have to give up this year's first and Minnesota's first next year. Maybe more.

I didn't pay too close attention to it but on ESPN they said Lakers' efficiency is last when Lebron isn't in the game. I don't know if that means last among playoff teams or last in the league.

Hard to believe it would be the latter.

Even to be #16 in the league is surprising, because they get a lot of dunks from their centers and AD is shooting 51.1/33.5/84.5 on 8.3 FTAs per game.

AD can get most of the mid-range jumpers over everyone. He can't separate off a crossover dribble like KD but he can jab step and then fade back for those 8-12 footers off both feet, doesn't have to jump off one foot a la KD or Dirk.

But if it's true that the Lakers efficiency drops that much without Lebron (49.8/34.9/69.7 on 5.7 FTA) AD has to wonder how much longer Lebron could sustain his level of play (34.9 minutes) at his age. Athletically he may be able to but all the minutes and touches?

Obviously they're reliant on him to find people good shots, as his gaudy assist numbers (10.6 and 2.7 assists to TO) attest.

Really the bigger concern is injuries, whether he will be as durable now the he's well into his mid 30s.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#842 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:03 pm

wco81 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:Posted on another thread...but I think the move i s stealing AD from Lakers in FA.

They'd have to dump Green's salary+ to fit AD in.

What about Wiggins' salary?

Easier said then done. Probably have to give up this year's first and Minnesota's first next year. Maybe more.

I didn't pay too close attention to it but on ESPN they said Lakers' efficiency is last when Lebron isn't in the game. I don't know if that means last among playoff teams or last in the league.

Hard to believe it would be the latter.

Even to be #16 in the league is surprising, because they get a lot of dunks from their centers and AD is shooting 51.1/33.5/84.5 on 8.3 FTAs per game.

AD can get most of the mid-range jumpers over everyone. He can't separate off a crossover dribble like KD but he can jab step and then fade back for those 8-12 footers off both feet, doesn't have to jump off one foot a la KD or Dirk.

But if it's true that the Lakers efficiency drops that much without Lebron (49.8/34.9/69.7 on 5.7 FTA) AD has to wonder how much longer Lebron could sustain his level of play (34.9 minutes) at his age. Athletically he may be able to but all the minutes and touches?

Obviously they're reliant on him to find people good shots, as his gaudy assist numbers (10.6 and 2.7 assists to TO) attest.

Really the bigger concern is injuries, whether he will be as durable now the he's well into his mid 30s.

1. AD isn't moving.

2. There seems to be an implication that jumping off of one foot is a weakness for KD/Dirk. The benefit of the one foot jump is it's faster to do than a two footed jump, and doesn't rely as much on explosion. It was a significant reason Dirk's game aged as well as it did, and it may be a factor in AD's game not aging as well. That said, AD is CLEARLY not lacking in skill so really this is a very minor point to your post.

3. Yes, LA is going to get old quick and only have the name and the location to get people to come to the team, but it seems AD is all in, and LeBron's long term plan is to own the team anyhow.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#843 » by cdubbz » Fri Apr 3, 2020 6:57 pm

I listed Taj Gibson for our TPE but didn’t even know he’s a free agent.

Warriors should consider him as our big man vet who can play 10-15mpg if needed. He will be 35 at the start of the season.
- Insurance for Looney
- Mentor for Paschall, Smiley
- Veteran with playoff experience and been on winning teams.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#844 » by wco81 » Fri Apr 3, 2020 7:06 pm

He's more of a 4 than a 5.

NOt a big enough body.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#845 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Apr 3, 2020 8:29 pm

If you are looking for a big who can play center there are a bunch of UFAs who are worth 10-15 minutes a game with the Warriors. Gasol, Baynes, Hernangomez, Plumlee, Tristan Thompson, Len, Noel and that's not all of them and that's only UFAs. If you add in RFAs or possible trades the list is long.

Derrick Favors could play some C but he's not a big banger at the C position.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#846 » by cdubbz » Fri Apr 3, 2020 8:39 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:If you are looking for a big who can play center there are a bunch of UFAs who are worth 10-15 minutes a game with the Warriors. Gasol, Baynes, Hernangomez, Plumlee, Tristan Thompson, Len, Noel and that's not all of them and that's only UFAs. If you add in RFAs or possible trades the list is long.

How much money can we offer though?
I like Gasol if he wants to take the minimum for another title run - but I could see him resigning with Toronto.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#847 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Apr 4, 2020 1:12 am

cdubbz wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:If you are looking for a big who can play center there are a bunch of UFAs who are worth 10-15 minutes a game with the Warriors. Gasol, Baynes, Hernangomez, Plumlee, Tristan Thompson, Len, Noel and that's not all of them and that's only UFAs. If you add in RFAs or possible trades the list is long.

How much money can we offer though?
I like Gasol if he wants to take the minimum for another title run - but I could see him resigning with Toronto.

Yeah, not all of them would be available for the same price. They can split the MLE if they want to get a couple ring chasers above the vet minimum deal.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#848 » by cdubbz » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:51 am

How likely is it that free agents looking for a big contract will take a 1yr deal with us in order to reap a bigger contract in 2021? Not sure how much teams will be willing to spend this off season - we might get lucky with someone looking to do so. They can play for us while earning minutes on a championship run and flee next season.

Is Tristan Thompson & Draymond Green cool now? They’re both Klutch Klients. I would take TT for a minimum deal if he wants to chase a ring. But then again TT would just flock to the Lakers if he was looking to do that type of deal.

Other thoughts
- Meyers Leonard? He’s an athletic 7footer who can shoot jumpers. Made $10million last year. If we don’t draft Wiseman he is a nice replacement. Nice guy too who don’t see having a problem fitting in.

- Paul Millsap - 35 yo. Just got paid $30million. He can be our big man vet. Played 24mpg last year. Just afraid we’re duplicating our 6’7 PF positions
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#849 » by Coxy » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:56 am

Not Myers Leonard please.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#850 » by cdubbz » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:10 am

Coxy wrote:Not Myers Leonard please.

Lol he’s a goofball for sure. Can we not turn him into a rim runner and 3 point shooter for 15-20min? Can’t say I’ve seen him a whole lot, but he doesn’t seem to have a big personality. He can fit in at the least and do his role.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#851 » by Warriors Analyst » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:13 am

cdubbz wrote:

Lol he’s a goofball for sure. Can we not turn him into a rim runner and 3 point shooter for 15-20min?

If Leonard is available at the minimum or we end up in a situation where we split the MLE between him and another player, I don’t think it’s the end of the world. I don’t think he starts if we sign him, but lord knows we need a true stretch 5.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#852 » by Coxy » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:13 am

cdubbz wrote:

Lol he’s a goofball for sure. Can we not turn him into a rim runner and 3 point shooter for 15-20min?

He's a big plodding mechanical stiff. He can get hot from deep, but he's not a good defender nor a rim runner either. He looks impressive, like an Ivan Drago type athlete, but he's not a guy to go ater in free agency in my opinion.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#853 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:38 am

I suspect pretty much every UFA will seriously consider a 1 year deal, or a 2 year deal with a player option. If the cap is down 20% my guess is agents will be pushing the players to take that risk.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#854 » by cdubbz » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:45 pm

Coxy wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

He's a big plodding mechanical stiff. He can get hot from deep, but he's not a good defender nor a rim runner either. He looks impressive, like an Ivan Drago type athlete, but he's not a guy to go ater in free agency in my opinion.

my memory of him is just athletic big from Portland who can knock down 3s. He had a few second effort rebounds against us too and showed some toughness which I didn’t forget.

He’s a nice pick n pop big, decent pick n roll guy and I’d have to watch videos of him about his movement- always thought he had mobility. More mobility for a 7footer at least.

He’s not a big rebounder but wonder what his role was. He’s played with LMA and Nurk as the double digit rebounders.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#855 » by Mylie10 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:02 pm

cdubbz wrote:
Coxy wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

my memory of him is just athletic big from Portland who can knock down 3s. He had a few second effort rebounds against us too and showed some toughness which I didn’t forget.

He’s a nice pick n pop big, decent pick n roll guy and I’d have to watch videos of him about his movement- always thought he had mobility. More mobility for a 7footer at least.

He’s not a big rebounder but wonder what his role was. He’s played with LMA and Nurk as the double digit rebounders.

He's almost 10 rebounds per in 36 minutes stats. Mostly just a defensive rebounder.

The dude is a legit 3 point shooter though. 40 percent for his career. The last three years over 42 percent.

He started all 49 games the Heat played this year, but inly played around 20 minutes per. Hea part or the reason they were good this year, no slight on him.

But for us it would have to come down to cost. We could really use a 3 point shooting center, but not if its to costly.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#856 » by cdubbz » Sat May 2, 2020 1:39 am

Let’s say Hassan Whiteside is willing to take the MLE and play a year for the Warriors.

Yes or no?

It’s one of those things where he can sign a bigger deal next summer potentially. He did well the the Blazers in 30mpg. Don’t expect him to ya that much, but Draymond & Whiteside would lock up the paint and rim.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#857 » by Scoots1994 » Sat May 2, 2020 9:52 pm

cdubbz wrote:How likely is it that free agents looking for a big contract will take a 1yr deal with us in order to reap a bigger contract in 2021? Not sure how much teams will be willing to spend this off season - we might get lucky with someone looking to do so. They can play for us while earning minutes on a championship run and flee next season.

Is Tristan Thompson & Draymond Green cool now? They’re both Klutch Klients. I would take TT for a minimum deal if he wants to chase a ring. But then again TT would just flock to the Lakers if he was looking to do that type of deal.

Other thoughts
- Meyers Leonard? He’s an athletic 7footer who can shoot jumpers. Made $10million last year. If we don’t draft Wiseman he is a nice replacement. Nice guy too who don’t see having a problem fitting in.

- Paul Millsap - 35 yo. Just got paid $30million. He can be our big man vet. Played 24mpg last year. Just afraid we’re duplicating our 6’7 PF positions

There are going to be a TON of 1 year or 2 year with player option contracts this offseason as players wait for the cap to go back up. That is assuming the NBPA and NBA can't agree on spreading out the lost revenue over several seasons.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#858 » by Scoots1994 » Sat May 2, 2020 9:56 pm

cdubbz wrote:Let’s say Hassan Whiteside is willing to take the MLE and play a year for the Warriors.

Yes or no?

It’s one of those things where he can sign a bigger deal next summer potentially. He did well the the Blazers in 30mpg. Don’t expect him to ya that much, but Draymond & Whiteside would lock up the paint and rim.

Funny thing is I posted somewhere the Warriors should pluck him up just before the Heat did. I saw him in the D-league and it was clear he had figured it out. He was never great and the Heat wildly overpaid him, but it would have been fun to have him for a few years there.

He's always been a fairly selfish stat hunting player who doesn't play the game smart, but I'd still take him. If he's a problem they can just not play him until he gets it together.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#859 » by cdubbz » Sun May 3, 2020 3:24 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
cdubbz wrote:Let’s say Hassan Whiteside is willing to take the MLE and play a year for the Warriors.

Yes or no?

Funny thing is I posted somewhere the Warriors should pluck him up just before the Heat did. I saw him in the D-league and it was clear he had figured it out. He was never great and the Heat wildly overpaid him, but it would have been fun to have him for a few years there.

He's always been a fairly selfish stat hunting player who doesn't play the game smart, but I'd still take him. If he's a problem they can just not play him until he gets it together.

If we end up drafting a wing it’s an option.

It would be nice to add a defensive anchor next to Green. Whiteside can help erase bad perimeter defense and allow Green & Klay to tighten up out there.

The pitch would have to be winning a championship and a chance at DPOY with our roster. Then get your big check.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#860 » by ChuckDurn » Sun May 3, 2020 4:14 am

cdubbz wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Yes or no?

It would be nice to add a defensive anchor next to Green. Whiteside can help erase bad perimeter defense and allow Green & Klay to tighten up out there.

The pitch would have to be winning a championship and a chance at DPOY with our roster. Then get your big check.

Whiteside is a terrible team defender; he can’t defend the pick-and-roll, and he gets out of position regularly chasing highlight tell blocks. His teams are always better defensively when he’s off the floor.

This isn’t to say that he doesn’t have some value, but if the idea is that he’ll help the defense, that’s misguided.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?

Return to Golden State Warriors