Image ImageImage Image

OT: COVID-19 thread #2

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

OT: COVID-19 thread #2 

Post#1 » by dougthonus » Sat Apr 4, 2020 9:26 pm

Figured I'd name the thread appropriately since my daughter yells at me for saying corona virus instead of COVID 19.

A gentle reminder, keep political commentary towards relationship to the virus or take your political commentary over to the current affairs forum which is the designated place for such things.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #2 

Post#2 » by dougthonus » Sat Apr 4, 2020 9:36 pm

I'm one of many people whom is fortunate enough to keep my job during this pandemic but be switched to full time remote work. One thing I've found odd so far is that I actually don't look forward to the weekends at all simply because there is so little to do. I'd actually prefer to just work 7 days a week at the moment just to keep myself occupied.

If I could find a good weekend gig, I would probably take it.

Today, I spent about 8 hours doing minor home improvement things and spring cleaning type stuff. I filled up 12 garbage bags worth of stuff to get rid of. Replaced toilet seats in our four bathrooms, fixed the towel holder in one of our bath rooms that had broken, fixed a sliding shower door, unclogged a bathtub/shower combo that wasn't draining properly, vacuumed the whole house, and did about four loads of laundry. My wife was also deep cleaning the entire time too.

The funny thing is, this is our weekend with no kids. We only have four days a month with no kids in the house. We typically cherish these days and do all kinds of stuff together. Now we're relegated to cleaning.

I guess it's good to get some stuff done that simply had to be done, but it's weird the odd ways this shelter in place hits you.

I don't mean to be a whiner about it. It's really just an observation. I consider myself amazingly fortunate for how well we have it during the pandemic.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,869

Post#3 » by Wingy » Sat Apr 4, 2020 9:37 pm

transplant wrote:Most likely he caught it at the rehab center.

Thanks to everyone for your kind wishes. I just got off the phone with one of my other sisters who told me that my brother-in-law was able to take a break from the ventilator and speak to his wife on the phone for 8 minutes. That may not sound like a big deal, but it completely changes my mental picture of their reality. Obviously, the situation is still very serious, but not as dire as I had imagined.

Seems like a big deal to me...that’s really positive news. Here’s hoping things continue to head north!
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,413

Post#4 » by ImSlower » Sat Apr 4, 2020 10:08 pm

Good news for you, transplant. Here's to him making a full recovery soon.

On my neck of the woods, I've another NYC friend with a parent in the ICU, and just an hour ago found out one of my coworkers' fathers has suffered full kidney failure due to complications over COVID. Very scary on both ends. Just two weeks ago I was very upset over my coworkers having a party and teasing me for not attending. Now our nice, quiet high school busboy is scared as hell over his father. Times change very rapidly. I think at this point nearly everyone I know is taking this as seriously as it is.

I have maintained for awhile that this is the most significant event of this new century. I dearly hope that once vaccines are properly vetted, and COVID joins influenza as a yearly shot, that the shock to society will lead to real change. At a minimum, I truly hope Americans push for sweeping, massive changes to our healthcare system. I for one still am without health insurance along with, what, 30 million others?

I also hope that parents realize how important our educational system is, and we see more investment in both K-12 and higher learning.

Finally, I hope that our healthcare workers putting their lives and their families' lives at risk receive a national holiday akin to Veterans/Memorial day.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,896
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#5 » by MalagaBulls » Sat Apr 4, 2020 10:44 pm

Over in Spain the stay at home government directive has been taken very seriously by a vast majority of the population. I have been confined for 3 solid weeks at home but just take it in stride. I make one grocery run per week.
On a positive side note we applaud the medical professionals, police, & military at 8 PM each night nationwide.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#6 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Apr 4, 2020 11:05 pm

dougthonus wrote:I'm one of many people whom is fortunate enough to keep my job during this pandemic but be switched to full time remote work. One thing I've found odd so far is that I actually don't look forward to the weekends at all simply because there is so little to do. I'd actually prefer to just work 7 days a week at the moment just to keep myself occupied.

Today, I spent about 8 hours doing minor home improvement things and spring cleaning type stuff. I filled up 12 garbage bags worth of stuff to get rid of. Replaced toilet seats in our four bathrooms, fixed the towel holder in one of our bath rooms that had broken, fixed a sliding shower door, unclogged a bathtub/shower combo that wasn't draining properly, vacuumed the whole house, and did about four loads of laundry. My wife was also deep cleaning the entire time too.

The funny thing is, this is our weekend with no kids. We only have four days a month with no kids in the house. We typically cherish these days and do all kinds of stuff together. Now we're relegated to cleaning.

I guess it's good to get some stuff done that simply had to be done, but it's weird the odd ways this shelter in place hits you.

I don't mean to be a whiner about it. It's really just an observation. I consider myself amazingly fortunate for how well we have it during the pandemic.

Yeah I am fortunate enough too, still employed and we are doing ok work wise. Totally get that the weekends are odd though from transiting to WFH. I am grateful though regardless. This has been a blessing for our family in many ways. My daughter (14) has had a very serious struggle the last two years and she is hospitalized right now. That rollercoaster with her had a huge impact on my son (5). We have so much bonding time right now and after the emotional struggles he has been through for the past couple years it is a great time to get closer and heal. I throughly am enjoying the change of pace as my life was unendingly hectic... this had allowed me to prioritize many things with my family. I would hardly sleep at all and was in constant stress, this has allowed me to rest, catch up on things, get projects done, spend time with my wife etc... while this is a tragedy all around it has been a silver lining for our family.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,494

Post#7 » by dice » Sat Apr 4, 2020 11:07 pm

dougthonus wrote:Figured I'd name the thread appropriately since my daughter yells at me for saying corona virus instead of COVID 19.

out of curiosity...why? COVID is itself short for "corona virus disease"
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#8 » by dougthonus » Sat Apr 4, 2020 11:19 pm

dice wrote:
dougthonus wrote:Figured I'd name the thread appropriately since my daughter yells at me for saying corona virus instead of COVID 19.

It is the 19 that marks it specifically.
@doug_thonus on twitter
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,897

Post#9 » by TheStig » Sat Apr 4, 2020 11:50 pm

dougthonus wrote:I'm one of many people whom is fortunate enough to keep my job during this pandemic but be switched to full time remote work. One thing I've found odd so far is that I actually don't look forward to the weekends at all simply because there is so little to do. I'd actually prefer to just work 7 days a week at the moment just to keep myself occupied.

Wanna come do my house next? :lol:
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,289

Post#10 » by Kurt Heimlich » Sun Apr 5, 2020 12:06 am

dougthonus wrote:
dice wrote:

$5 says Doug works for Corona Beer and is trying to detoxify that word! :lol:
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,494

Post#11 » by dice » Sun Apr 5, 2020 12:09 am

dougthonus wrote:
dice wrote:

why does it need to be marked specifically? everyone knows what you're talking about when you say 'coronavirus' in the year 2020. and will for decades to come. are we somehow offending people who have contracted previous iterations of coronavirus? the only need to specify is if you're talking about PREVIOUS coronaviruses
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
chitowndish
Pro Prospect
And1: 460

Post#12 » by chitowndish » Sun Apr 5, 2020 12:34 am

ImSlower wrote:Finally, I hope that our healthcare workers putting their lives and their families' lives at risk receive a national holiday akin to Veterans/Memorial day.

I liked a lot of your post but I wanted to call this out because I think it would be cool after all of this to do a reverse black Friday type holiday where everyone just stays the hell home and gives our retail staff, grocery staff and hospital staff an easy night with people just taking it easy at home with no drunk driving or craziness, just netflix and chill. We have so many holidays that are about running around and doing crap or consumerism it would be nice if there was a holiday about relaxing with your family and giving the service industry a break. Like a 3 day paid weekend for restaurant, retail and healthcare staff and everyone else in the country just tries not to bother those people for a few days.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,413

Post#13 » by ImSlower » Sun Apr 5, 2020 12:39 am

chitowndish wrote:
ImSlower wrote:Finally, I hope that our healthcare workers putting their lives and their families' lives at risk receive a national holiday akin to Veterans/Memorial day.

I liked a lot of your post but I wanted to call this out because I think it would be cool after all of this to do a reverse black Friday type holiday where everyone just stays the hell home and gives our retail staff, grocery staff and hospital staff an easy night with people just taking it easy at home with no drunk driving or craziness, just netflix and chill. We have so many holidays that are about running around and doing crap or consumerism it would be nice if there was a holiday about relaxing with your family and giving the service industry a break. Like a 3 day paid weekend for restaurant, retail and healthcare staff and everyone else in the country just tries not to bother those people for a few days.

That sounds amazing. Especially the paid weekend off, as a bartender by trade. But, yes, a day where everyone is intended to just stay the **** at home as a tribute to hospital staff and other first responders sounds great.
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#14 » by BigUps » Sun Apr 5, 2020 1:45 am

Wife made a mistake and ordered in store pickup (instead of curbside) at Target for some groceries today so I went and picked them up. Pretty crazy experience. I hadn't been out for 2 weeks so walking into a store with a mask on and seeing so many others with masks and gloves on was just surreal. I felt awful for the workers too, they had no real protection on for the most part.

Crazy stuff. I'll certainly remember that moment for the rest of my life.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,897

Post#15 » by TheStig » Sun Apr 5, 2020 3:10 am

BigUps wrote:Wife made a mistake and ordered in store pickup (instead of curbside) at Target for some groceries today so I went and picked them up. Pretty crazy experience. I hadn't been out for 2 weeks so walking into a store with a mask on and seeing so many others with masks and gloves on was just surreal. I felt awful for the workers too, they had no real protection on for the most part.

Yeah, I feel really bad for the store workers, health care providers and security people who are denied the ability to wear PPE. Even if they bring their own. Some consumers mental comfort is not worth someone's life. Very disturbing that we're treating our most essential so poorly.
Chewie
Lead Assistant
And1: 336

Post#16 » by Chewie » Sun Apr 5, 2020 5:12 am

BigUps wrote:Wife made a mistake and ordered in store pickup (instead of curbside) at Target for some groceries today so I went and picked them up. Pretty crazy experience. I hadn't been out for 2 weeks so walking into a store with a mask on and seeing so many others with masks and gloves on was just surreal. I felt awful for the workers too, they had no real protection on for the most part.

Live in the Tampa area and hit the grocery store for first time in a couple weeks and was expecting to see masks galore but really only saw maybe 2 and this was smack in the middle of a Saturday. They had plexi glass partitions up at the check out to offer protection and I switched up to ApplePay to avoid getting my mitts on the PIN machine. Actually wiping down the groceries with bleach wipes when we get them home. Back at it in a couple weeks...probably the one place I am exposing myself at all right now besides occasional take out.
Turn down for what?
Senor Chang
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,212

Post#17 » by Senor Chang » Sun Apr 5, 2020 5:34 am

I am a registered nurse in a west Chicago suburb and our hospital is now at 25 confirmed cases. 9 of whom are hospital employees. We are using face masks for multiple days with the exception of patients with an active cough. It is ridiculous. We expect our numbers to climb significantly in the near future.

A month ago i decided to order my own personal stash of PPE online but i don't expect any of it to arrive until late April, early May.
wayoftheroad wrote:We’re getting bodied by Moochie Norris lmao
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,810

Post#18 » by Dresden » Sun Apr 5, 2020 5:59 am

Senor Chang wrote:I am a registered nurse in a west Chicago suburb and our hospital is now at 25 confirmed cases. 9 of whom are hospital employees. We are using face masks for multiple days with the exception of patients with an active cough. It is ridiculous. We expect our numbers to climb significantly in the near future.

A month ago i decided to order my own personal stash of PPE online but i don't expect any of it to arrive until late April, early May.

It's just terrible that our health care providers don't have the PPE they need to work safely. You people all deserves medals. What you're doing is just as brave as what a soldier does.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by MalagaBulls » Sun Apr 5, 2020 10:26 am

In Spain things are starting to flatten. Only 674 fatalities after a high of 940 just a week ago. 6010 new infections compared to over 8-9K during the peak. It is trending downwards at last but we are not out of the woods at all yet, but very encouraging.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by MalagaBulls » Sun Apr 5, 2020 10:29 am

Senor Chang wrote:I am a registered nurse in a west Chicago suburb and our hospital is now at 25 confirmed cases. 9 of whom are hospital employees. We are using face masks for multiple days with the exception of patients with an active cough. It is ridiculous. We expect our numbers to climb significantly in the near future.

In Spain we were one of the first global societies to develop a nightly ritual of openly applauding our health professionals at 8PM every evening. The whole country participates and it is quite remarkable. To you Señor Chang,

Return to Chicago Bulls