Random Thoughts Thread Part 4

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#881 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:57 pm

Hearing a rumor that Governor Hogan's going to make a speech today at 11 - announcing more MD closings - but it's just a rumor. Hoping my business (in a 15 floor building) doesn't close since I'm not set up to work at home.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#882 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:36 am

So, that malaria drug is actually a pretty exciting possibility according to my microbiologist friend - since it's already an approved drug. Of course, we'll have to see if it actually works. Gotta find out who manufactures it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#883 » by pancakes3 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:25 pm

it's a generic so anyone can manufacture it, which is great bc that means it's easily scalable.
Bullets -> Wizards
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#884 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:14 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/257642/Spencer-Dinwiddie-Announces-Parternship-With-Crypo-Lender-Cred

I think Spencer Dinwiddie is likely to be the first NBA basketball player to become a multi-billionaire.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#885 » by nate33 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:50 pm

payitforward wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/257642/Spencer-Dinwiddie-Announces-Parternship-With-Crypo-Lender-Cred

I think Spencer Dinwiddie is likely to be the first NBA basketball player to become a multi-billionaire.

Interesting.

Giving the impending bankruptcy of most of the world economies, there may be a strong demand for a currency more reliable than the dollar. On the other hand, the 50% collapse of Bitcoin during the stock market crash would suggest that nobody has much faith in cryptocurrency as an alternative

Gold held up much better.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#886 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:46 pm

I didn't have it in mind, nate, but of course I'm delighted that my post had the effect of bringing you back into action. Any time someone goes silent these days I worry there may be a health problem.

I have friends in this "space;" the mind-set is kind of utopian to be sure, & the tone of my post does reflect that a bit. How do I know what will become of Spencer Dinwiddie venture? For that matter, I don't know anything about mycred.io -- but, since it's come up, I've put out a query. We'll see what I learn.

Blockchain technology itself is enormously powerful & useful. Hard to see it not becoming central to financial & other security long-term. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockchain & https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/blockchain.asp.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#887 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:13 pm

Btw, of course, gold has held up better than cryptocurrencies! It's held up better than stocks. Over time, otoh, stocks have outperformed gold -- by @300% from 1900-2010.

"Impending bankruptcy of most of the world economies" -- hey, anything's possible! But... I have heard that warning many many times. If it does happen, it'd be great to have all one's wealth in gold. Except for the fact that the advantages will all be theoretical.... Oh well, life's uncertain. Might be best to have a lot of land & a high-quality suit of armour.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#888 » by WallToWall » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:47 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/257642/Spencer-Dinwiddie-Announces-Parternship-With-Crypo-Lender-Cred

Interesting.

Giving the impending bankruptcy of most of the world economies, there may be a strong demand for a currency more reliable than the dollar. On the other hand, the 50% collapse of Bitcoin during the stock market crash would suggest that nobody has much faith in cryptocurrency as an alternative

Gold held up much better.

I'm pretty sure it will be TP.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#889 » by nate33 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:38 am

payitforward wrote:I didn't have it in mind, nate, but of course I'm delighted that my post had the effect of bringing you back into action. Any time someone goes silent these days I worry there may be a health problem.

I have friends in this "space;" the mind-set is kind of utopian to be sure, & the tone of my post does reflect that a bit. How do I know what will become of Spencer Dinwiddie venture? For that matter, I don't know anything about mycred.io -- but, since it's come up, I've put out a query. We'll see what I learn.

Blockchain technology itself is enormously powerful & useful. Hard to see it not becoming central to financial & other security long-term. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockchain & https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/blockchain.asp.

Don't get me wrong. I'm fascinated by the blockchain technology and would very much like to see a new currency that could work better than the dollar or any other paper money system. Maybe cryptocurrency works out. If it does, it will probably be a good thing. I was frankly disappointed in seeing Bitcoin crash alongside the rest of the market.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#890 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:37 am

Not as funny today...(Edited)
Bye bye Beal.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#891 » by pancakes3 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:49 am

Bullets -> Wizards
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#892 » by daSwami » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:23 pm

Just found out I lost a high school classmate to covid last night. Falls Church HS, class of '89. Super smart guy - was actually on Jeopardy a couple years back. He wasn't in a "high-risk" category, just VERY unlucky. Be safe everyone.
:banghead:
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#893 » by dobrojim » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:42 pm

this is effing hilarious but stay away if bad language offends you

A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#894 » by Ruzious » Thu Apr 2, 2020 1:51 pm

I've been trying to help a client apply for small business loans available with the recent legislation (though it's not at all related to what I normally do). If you're in that boat, I recommend going to www.sba.gov, and click on the top where it say "Apply for an Economic Injury Disaster Loan CLICK HERE". I believe the loans are interest-free and parts of the loan is forgiven if you show the loan is to pay payroll and rent.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#895 » by pancakes3 » Thu Apr 2, 2020 3:33 pm

yeah, it's essentially "free money"
Bullets -> Wizards
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#896 » by Ruzious » Mon Apr 6, 2020 1:54 pm

So, I help out a local library Friends of the Library, and we generally have 2 used book sales a year and have one scheduled in early May. Obviously, we cancelled that. But our Board President wants to postpone it to early July rather than just cancel it. We're going to have a vote on it in early May. The book sale takes a lot of volunteers to set up and tear down. It's generally held in a tightly packed room with lots of people wondering in and out and congregating - including lots of old people. It's our biggest way of raising money, but we are not at all short on cash. Seems to me this is a crazy risk to take and will likely lead to bad publicity. Problem is, our Board President hates when the Board doesn't take her suggestions, and she's dug her heals in this one. I don't see any reasonable compromise. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions? I assume the Board will say no, but I'm not positive.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#897 » by pancakes3 » Mon Apr 6, 2020 3:20 pm

tell her you've got 5 data points in me, my dad, and my sister, my buddy, and his wife who all regularly go to the MoCo Friends of the Library store even without the special sale, and other sales in the DMV area, and none of us die hards (i just texted) would go to a July sale.

it would at best, lead to bad publicity. worst case scenario, people die. she needs to take her ego out of it.
Bullets -> Wizards
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#898 » by pancakes3 » Mon Apr 6, 2020 4:20 pm

Bullets -> Wizards
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,349

Post#899 » by doclinkin » Mon Apr 6, 2020 5:42 pm

Ruzious wrote:So, I help out a local library Friends of the Library, and we generally have 2 used book sales a year and have one scheduled in early May. Obviously, we cancelled that. But our Board President wants to postpone it to early July rather than just cancel it. We're going to have a vote on it in early May. The book sale takes a lot of volunteers to set up and tear down. It's generally held in a tightly packed room with lots of people wondering in and out and congregating - including lots of old people. It's our biggest way of raising money, but we are not at all short on cash. Seems to me this is a crazy risk to take and will likely lead to bad publicity. Problem is, our Board President hates when the Board doesn't take her suggestions, and she's dug her heals in this one. I don't see any reasonable compromise. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions? I assume the Board will say no, but I'm not positive.

Contact the Library Director with your concerns. Friends are independent operators but if the beneficiary of their assistance says they’re anxious about vulnerable patrons then maybe she will listen. Perhaps the Board President can hear reason from a person in a position of authority, in a way that they won’t hear it from lowly volunteers.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#900 » by willbcocks » Tue Apr 7, 2020 2:06 am

You could sell bulk lots on eBay and raise money for them that way. Then everyone can do from his own house, and people stuck inside will have something to read. We bought about 100 books in bulk lots for our children.

Return to Washington Wizards