Turner was having a really good stretch before this shutdown

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,234

Turner was having a really good stretch before this shutdown 

Post#1 » by boomershadow » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:46 pm

The last 3-4 weeks before the NBA got turned off were really some of the best games I've seen from Turner in his career. He was engaged on defense, doing more dirty work and hustle plays than I've ever seen him do, had some double-double games [the rebounding portion of that has always been something he needed improve on), he seemed to be more involved on the offensive end than at the beginning of the year, was shooting the 3 ball decently, etc.

I'm really hoping we see more of that version of Turner when play resumes and that this break wasnt too bad of a momentum killer for him. I also hope his teammates continue to get him involved on the offensive end instead of leaving him sitting out there by himself beyond the 3 point, which is something I was critical of the team for doing too often earlier in the year.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Re: Turner was having a really good stretch before this shutdown 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:58 pm

Agreed. He was really all over the court defensively, handling both the perimeter and the lane, while also being decisive on the offensive end. I mean, his work getting stuck on Luka one on one was simply tremendous, where he used his length to simply keep Luka in front of him and was able to stay on his feet, and stay lateral to stop him.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#3 » by Topofthekey » Mon Apr 6, 2020 7:25 pm

Unrelated to Myles, but I didn't feel this warranted a thread, so it goes here

So, I remember earlier on in the season (can't remember which games exactly) I saw that the opponent would sometimes quietly go up to Aaron from behind him and tag him on his back, before moving away again

This happened in a half court setting, while Aaron was defending the opponent's ball handler, and I remember seeing it happen a number of times too

What's the purpose of this?

Just to try and confuse Aaron? Or did it have anything to do with NBA rules?

No, they weren't trying to set a pick or anything, because they just quietly tagged him and moved away
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 6, 2020 10:32 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Unrelated to Myles, but I didn't feel this warranted a thread, so it goes here

So, I remember earlier on in the season (can't remember which games exactly) I saw that the opponent would sometimes quietly go up to Aaron from behind him and tag him on his back, before moving away again

This happened in a half court setting, while Aaron was defending the opponent's ball handler, and I remember seeing it happen a number of times too

What's the purpose of this?

Just to try and confuse Aaron? Or did it have anything to do with NBA rules?

No, they weren't trying to set a pick or anything, because they just quietly tagged him and moved away

Probably a motion offense with flashing and faking the pick. Sometimes they'll set the pick on the side they flash from, other times they'll set the pick on the other side, and still more times, they won't set the pick at all but flash to create confusion in the defense. At least, that's my guess. :dontknow:
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#5 » by Topofthekey » Thu Apr 9, 2020 6:50 am

I see, so nothing to do with rules then

I thought it might have been a new rule that I wasn't aware of
Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,206

Post#6 » by Hoop Hunter » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:28 pm

Turner did look great for a long stretch, always brings the shot blocking. I thought his postup play was impressive, we need better sets to get him the ball down low quickly when he has a small on him. We need to pound teams when they put a smaller guy on either of our starting bigs. I'd also love for him to shoot a least 5-6 3's a game, he could be one of the best Center 3pt shooters over the next several years.

I've always been on the side that Turner and Sabonis can not just play together, but play very well together.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

A great example of Myles learning successful movement while on the court with Dom. A year ago, he likely would have flared the free throw line and brought his defender with him, or collapsed the rim.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,234

Post#8 » by boomershadow » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:22 pm

Those couple games that were won/clinched by those Turner 3s were huge. It's good to get a young guy some experience taking big shots. His teammates are more apt to kick the ball out when they've seen and trust he's capable of knocking them down.

Return to Indiana Pacers