Jalen Green - next elite prospect

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Jalen Green - next elite prospect 

Post#1 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 7, 2020 1:45 am

not at the Zion or LeBron level obviously but Green is the next elite prospect, probably Davis or Towns level prospect IMO, he has it all as a swingman prospect, should be #1 guy heading into next season in a strong class

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Jalen Green - next elite prospect 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Tue Apr 7, 2020 9:10 am

He isn't close to Cade, like at all
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#3 » by GimmeDat » Tue Apr 7, 2020 12:00 pm

He's not Cade, but he is a damn good prospect. Would arguably (probably?) go #1 in this class.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#4 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 7, 2020 5:41 pm

Cade is a better passer that's about it, Jalen's better in every other department
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#5 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Apr 7, 2020 5:48 pm

Ya I agree with the others, as of right now I've got Cade #1. Also with Kuminga still maybe reclassifying (not sure if all this virus stuff puts a hold on that), Kuminga is my easy #1 if he is in this class.

The crazy thing is, I wouldn't be shocked if Green doesn't even make the top 3 in next year's draft. And that is not a shot at Green (I'm very high on him), but I also wouldn't be shocked if next year's top 3 ends up Kuminga, Cade and Mobley.

I do have those 4 guys on my top tier as of right now, then guys like Clarke, Jalen Johnson, Ziaire and a couple others in my next tier.

One thing that I think right now, next year's class discussion for the top picks is going to be very different than this year's. This year it's like pulling teeth to many to come up with guys you'd be happy to take top 3, next year I think it's going to be tough to cut someone out of the top 3. I'm very excited for next year's class.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#6 » by Marcus » Wed Apr 8, 2020 1:31 am

Next year should be crowded near the top
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#7 » by EMG518 » Wed Apr 8, 2020 6:00 am

How good of a shooter is he?
crows2
Senior
And1: 559

Post#8 » by crows2 » Wed Apr 8, 2020 7:00 am

clyde21 wrote:Cade is a better passer that's about it, Jalen's better in every other department

Cade is better at the game of basketball.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,093

Post#9 » by The-Power » Thu Apr 9, 2020 1:33 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Ya I agree with the others, as of right now I've got Cade #1. Also with Kuminga still maybe reclassifying (not sure if all this virus stuff puts a hold on that), Kuminga is my easy #1 if he is in this class.

The crazy thing is, I wouldn't be shocked if Green doesn't even make the top 3 in next year's draft. And that is not a shot at Green (I'm very high on him), but I also wouldn't be shocked if next year's top 3 ends up Kuminga, Cade and Mobley.

I do have those 4 guys on my top tier as of right now, then guys like Clarke, Jalen Johnson, Ziaire and a couple others in my next tier.

I have Cade in a tier of his own at this point. Kuminga would probably join this tier if he reclassifies but I'm not yet ready to rank him ahead of Cade. Only then comes the rest of the crop, where I'd also put Green and probably Mobley. If his defense translates, I'd also put Scottie Barnes in there and B.J. Boston who I currently like better than the guys you listed in your second tier.

But of course it's early, and I've only seen a low double-digit number of full HS games this season – so it's certainly only a rough preliminary impression of most guys. Of the players mentioned, for instance, I've seen more than ten full games – roughly the point when I start feeling more comfortable actually ranking prospects of comparable caliber against each other instead of just being able to identify profiles and develop preferences – only of Cunningham, Barnes and Green I think.

Next year definitely promises to be better at the top, that's for sure. But I'd wager that a couple of the players that we'd now feel comfortable taking in the top 3 are going to struggle enough for us to develop doubts and discomfort. Happened to Cole Anthony this year big time, who I really liked as a top 3 pick at this point last year in any draft and now wouldn't take him there even in a draft that looks really weak at the very top.

crows2 wrote:Cade is better at the game of basketball.

This is a nice way of putting it. Jalen Green has great moments where he looks unstoppable but the level at which Cade reads the game, controls the game and the poise and pace with which he plays the game is just a lot higher and better compared to Green or anybody else in his class, really (although Green has quite a few out-of-control moments during games). This ability is something you cannot just learn or catch up on.

And, of course, Cade does have some obvious other skill-advantages (passing and ball handling ability come to mind) and is, in other aspects, at least not far off (he's a good athlete himself, especially in the open court – not as explosive as Green and a bit less flexible, but stronger; he has excellent measurements for a lead Guard; and he's developed a passable catch-and-shoot 3 although Green has shown more shooting variety off the dribble, with up-and-down success).

If Cade develops a consistent pull-up jumper and improves finishing against length at the rim – both of which are definitely in reach – then he's pretty much the whole package and an absolute top-tier talent.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Marcus » Thu Apr 9, 2020 1:36 am

EMG518 wrote:How good of a shooter is he?

Improved. He's a selection baby. Once he gets that part down his half court effectiveness shoots up. The touch and form are there.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Marcus » Thu Apr 9, 2020 1:51 am

I don't wanna turn this into the 2021 thread but it might head in that direction lol. My issue with Mobley is size. He needs a lot of weight if he turns the corner on that he's in number one convo. Kuminga I haven't seen enough of. Cade I like more than I did this time last year but I'm holding off till his Cowboy season. Still a Clarke fan even though i hate the UK fit. Curious about Jalen Johnson and if he can re-insert his name. Scottie Barnes is BY FAR my favorite of the bunch and FSU has seemed to vacated a lot of space for him to do his thing. Even with the improved handle and shot I still see super role player in the league right now from him, somewhere between Spicy P and full roster Draymond.

Back on topic again: Jalen Green to me has really separated from the pack for me for his position. I thought Clarke was right there with him and Boston and Williams wecre knocking on the door of that convo but JGreen has jumped ahead for me with the improvements he's made. He's clutch, he shows up, the handle is better, the pull up is nice, killer in transition, better off ball than you think, better passer than given credit for, improved shot off the catch and bounce, not the longest kid but athleticism bridges some of that when he decides to lock in defensively. The bounce is known, he wants to be a star, and the marketability is insane. He has best two guard in the league potential I think. Hopefully if he stays stateside he picks a good school. Rumor is Memphis is high on the list with Auburn and even USC has a shot (Green and the Mobleys would be nuts). If he goes overseas I think he has a chance to hit big if he buys in.
Watch More Basketball

clyde21
RealGM

Post#12 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 9, 2020 2:20 am

if I was Green I'd go Auburn (unless he wants to go get paid abroad)...easy decision for me, Pearl is building a strong program there and he knows how to develop swingmen (Okeke, Okoro)...there is a spot wide open for him
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,372

Post#13 » by The Box Office » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:46 am

Jalen Green is super bad @ss. Kid is proper. He will go number 1 or 2 depending on how he does in NCAA.

Cade Cunningham is still my number one right now because he reads and dictates the tone of the game with his passing and ball handling at an advanced level. I'm mentioning Cade because, to me, it's Cade vs. J. Green for the number one spot.

Back to Jalen, he's definitely the most exciting in the 2021 draft class. Absolutely dazzling. A rim rattling creative ball handling shot maker. F*ckin fearless. Just like the NBA GOATS before him, Jalen talks a lot of trash AND backs it up. He turns it up another level during crunch time. Consistently. That stands out. I trust that he's never going to back down and will not disappear when the pressure is on. He wants the ball. He wants to get the bucket to shut up the crowd. He can jump to the NBA right now if he wanted.

Strengths:
- Jalen is athletically explosive. High octane. Can jump out of the building. Springy, bouncy movements. Creative dunker. Best athlete in this class.
- Great body control. He can handle And 1 finishes. I saw this too many times in highlight videos.
- He doesn't play anything like Eddie Jones. Perhaps minor aspects of Eddie Jones in his game, but Jalen Green is a different beast. Poor comparison by NBADraft.net. Eddie Jones was not the number one HS prospect and didn't get ANY hype.
- Good jump shot. Has nice touch. Great range. Still needs to work on his form to have a great jump shot.
- Can catch and shoot well.
- Can score off the dribble.
- Good handles. Very shifty. Can navigate his way through the trees in the paint like Derrick Rose. Not on the level of Kobe "one on one" though, but still good.
- Work ethic.
- Rebounding.
- Low key can dish the rock.
- Has the skills to play point guard when needed since he's so quick and shifty.
- Can score in bunches. Consistently. From anywhere on the court.
- A very confident kid. Opposing trash talk will make Jalen elevate his game.
- Defense was a weakness. Not anymore. Jalen is closing the gap between his offense vs. defense. He accelerated his game on that end and will keep going.
- Coachable.
- Clutch as hell.

Weaknesses:
- Needs to work on the strength of his left hand. When MJ and Kobe can finish with either hand, Jalen Green has to do the same. Now is the time to work on it since we're on lock down.
- No post up game and fade away. Gotta work that into his game. Absolutely a must to conserve energy and boost efficiency as he ages. Again, now is the time to work on it.

When Jalen Green's IQ and experience catches up to his explosive athleticism, oh my lord.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#14 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:50 pm

athletically he's special, and it's not just about how bouncy he is, he's just a completely effortless mover, just glides, elite coordination, body control and change of direction, it's absolutely incredible. add in the ball handling, shot making, and finishing at the rim and you're looking at an ELITE 3-level scorer in the NBA

to me he might be the best SG prospect in idk how long tbh. he's got that old school 2 guard game.
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,372

Post#15 » by The Box Office » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:09 am

Jalen Green, with all of his supreme athletic gifts, skill sets, current IQ for the game, and work ethic (barring any kind of catastrophe), he looks like a MJ/Kobe type. I haven't seen a prospect like him since...Kobe.

Green is in that lineage. He's shown a lot for a 17 year old. Some of his movements mirror a young Jordan. That's crazy. He better not become another "all offense no defense" type SG.

If I was Green, I go study defense videos of Jordan, Pippen, Stockton, Kidd, Kawhi, Gary Payton, and Chris Paul and break down how they got steals and how they position themselves to funnel and trap and limit their opponent's options. Watch them 1000s of times.

With Green's lateral quickness and light feet, defense becomes a Chess match where he should be in an advantageous position.

Green has the ability to split the defense every time. That's a great sign.

Update: His half court game.
Yes, I agree. That part needs work. However, there are plenty of draft picks who don't even get that right away. I've seen some flashes of his half court. Some of the IQ is there. If Jalen was a half court maestro at 17 years old then Jalen Green would be the number one pick and it wouldn't be much of a debate.

We'll see his development in G-league, NBDL, or NCAA.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by Marcus » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:24 pm

The more i think about this G-League move the more I think Jalen is in an absolutely perfect situation to be THE game changer for this process.

His game is visually pleasing to casuals and eventually to legit bball heads i think. I always speak to the kid's marketability and it's legit there. He's staying home. He's arguably the top in his class so a positive showing on this stage is due to set this move into full fledged motion going forward especially if he doesn't take any stock hits (which he shouldn't) come draft day. He'll have an advantage learning curve wise. It just all speaks to game changing to me. Might even do the NCAA some good in the sense the kids that still choose to go to school will obviously WANT to be there. Maybe it takes away some of the negative connotation to OAD or just removes it all together without putting anything in black and white.
Watch More Basketball

nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#17 » by nolang1 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:15 pm

He’s alright for his age. I have a hard time seeing him as a #1 recruit or draft pick because he’s not super big (like Kobe had a better frame despite also being skinny as a high schooler) and doesn’t have that elite shooting or passing ability that would allow him to be a full-time lead ball handler. I could easily see him being a multiple-time All-Star and would take him ahead of anyone in the 2020 class, but that’s more an indictment on the 2020 class.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by Marcus » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:26 pm

nolang1 wrote:

He’s alright for his age. I have a hard time seeing him as a #1 recruit or draft pick because he’s not super big (like Kobe had a better frame despite also being skinny as a high schooler) and doesn’t have that elite shooting or passing ability that would allow him to be a full-time lead ball handler. I could easily see him being a multiple-time All-Star and would take him ahead of anyone in the 2020 class, but that’s more an indictment on the 2020 class.

i agree with the frame issue. Measureables aren't eye popping at all but the shooting, ball-handling, and passing have all taken leaps and i would expect that to continue. I think he'll be more of a traditional 2guard where his lead ball handling usage coming in clutch moments as opposed to something along the lines of a Harden.
Watch More Basketball

getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#19 » by getrichordie » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:29 pm

Marcus wrote:The more i think about this G-League move the more I think Jalen is in an absolutely perfect situation to be THE game changer for this process.

His game is visually pleasing to casuals and eventually to legit bball heads eventually i think. I always speak to the kid's marketability and it's legit there. He's staying home. He's arguably the top in his class so a positive showing on this stage is due to set this move into full fledged motion going forward especially if he doesn't take any stock hits (which he shouldn't) come draft day. He'll have an advantage learning curve wise. It just all speaks to game changing to me. Might even do the NCAA some good in the sense the kids that still choose to go to school will obviously WANT to be there. Maybe it takes away some of the negative connotation to OAD or just removes it all together without putting anything in black and white.

Could put pressure on the NCAA to start paying players... even if just a little bit like 10-20k a year...
[twitter] @thunderdustin
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#20 » by nolang1 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:54 pm

Marcus wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

i agree with the frame issue. Measureables aren't eye popping at all but the shooting, ball-handling, and passing have all taken leaps and i would expect that to continue. I think he'll be more of a traditional 2guard where his lead ball handling usage coming in clutch moments as opposed to something along the lines of a Harden.

Yeah that’s basically the thing for me: if you can be pigeonholed as a traditional 2 guard, how high is your ceiling? Like Brad Beal is a much better three-point shooter than I’d ever expect Green to be, and I don’t think Green would be so much better at defense (like there’s only so much difference a 2-guard can make to his team’s defense) to erase that difference.

Right now the only guys Green’s size or smaller who are top 10-15 in the league are lights-out shooters (and if you extended it back 10-15 years you’d find guys like CP3 or Nash who were all-time great passers even if they weren’t as big of scorers. The one possible exception would be Westbrook, who is a better athlete and a much better passer; I guess Green will be a good test case for how much skill can be developed there.

Another way of looking at it would be: if Green can be a ~35% three-point shooter (who’s not like Harden in terms of being able to create those looks out of nowhere even late in the shot clock) and average ~5 assists per game, both of which to me seem like reasonably optimistic outcomes for him, then how well would he need to finish to be one of the top 10 or so offensive players in the game? I think people underestimate the fact that the top slashers in the league are built like tanks and are able to at least approximate Green’s explosiveness in a much bigger frame.

Return to NBA Draft