minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Re: Constructing the Timberwolves rotation 

Post#401 » by minimus » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:14 am

shrink wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wait, I was told that DLo is a ball-dominant PG who cant play off the ball.

P.S. Ryan is the worst coach in the league who is bad at developing players and not giving time to rookies. Fire him!

They have played a total of 45 minutes together.

If people find significance in small samples, I think they’d want to fire Russell, since in 25 minutes Russell and Towns together have a NEGATIVE 20.3 Net Rating. I guess Paynting would say it’s “un-savvy” to put those two together.

I don’t know why anyone follows this guy on Twitter.

DLo played well with another ballhandler in Brooklyn as well. This is well documented. I think gives us flexibility, we could definitely use another high level ballhandler.

But when Russell shared the floor with Napier, Brooklyn outscored opponents by 5.9 points per 100 possessions — good for a net-rating greater than what Russell was able to compile with any of the six players he shared the floor with most.

In 315 minutes.

https://zonecoverage.com/2019/featured/the-minnesota-timberwolves-dangelo-russell-contingency-plan/
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,135

Post#402 » by winforlose » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:28 am

Jedzz wrote:
winforlose wrote:[vine][/vine]
Neeva wrote:Depends what is available at second round pick and what kuzma’s next contract will be.

These are both tough questions. Lakers don’t have much in the way of draft capital the next few years. I could see them wanting to save the cost of Kuzma and valuing two cheap contracts in Spellman and the #33-35 pick. 2021 is a big FA year where money will get tossed at big names. That said, we might get stuck paying him big money or moving on. Also, we could trade him at the trade deadline and try and get a first or a better fit player.

How do the Wolves get a frp for him at the deadline if the Lakers could not? The position he would play here is not exactly featured for game leading scoring and publicity. The way shot has dropped off It's hard to like this idea of him in this system unless they could revive his shot. I've never been fond of taking in players they plan to move soon or the next deadline. Looks like Rosas may have no problem with it though.

The hope would be to start him and have him as a fourth or fifth offensive option (depending on who starts at the 3.) With Beasley, KAT, and Dlo drawing the defenders away Kuzma might get more open looks. I think part of his drop off was due to the changes in the team. Most of the young guys were shipped out and the offensive scheme really focused on a healthy LeBron and AD. Getting Kuzma back into the starting lineup and giving him a low pressure role might be enough to course correct him. Or failing that, might be enough to make another team willing to take a leap on him and send us a role player we may want.
minimus
RealGM

Post#403 » by minimus » Wed Apr 8, 2020 6:08 pm

“Going into this draft, we’re going to be fully-prepared and diligent to make the best decisions there. Going into free agency and the trade season, whenever that is, we have to be prepared,” said Rosas. “There’s no safe stop and go in terms of the business of basketball.

“We have a lot of big decisions to make moving forward.”

https://zonecoverage.com/2020/timberwolves/we-have-to-be-prepared-the-timberwolves-2020-offseason-is-the-next-step/
minimus
RealGM

Post#404 » by minimus » Thu Apr 9, 2020 4:55 pm

If building a winning team was so easy and depended so much on coaches, then I am asking myself why SAS is playing so badly? They have two stars, veterans in LMA and DeRozan, veterans scorers Gay, Bellineli and Mills, two defensive-minded guards White and Murray, a bunch of young prospects Samanic, Walker, Johnson. They have a future HoF coach, player development system, coaching staff.

Saying this I must admit, that there are a few healthy questions about our coaching staff decision. For instance, does anyone believes in KAT as part of drop scheme? Tunneling opponents to a bigman might work if you have someone like Gobert, Embiid, Nurkic, Brook Lopez or Gasol. But it gave us mixed results when we are tunneling perimeter players to KAT. Sure, KAT needs to step up defensively, mainly playing smart, do not react, read offense. But I hope we get versatile PF/SF defenders, two big wings who can hold their ground against opponent big wings. Preferably 6'6"-6'8", 220-240lbs with close to 7' wingspan. Two realistic targets are Aaron Gordon(versatile defender, rim runner, passer) and Moe Harkless(versatile defender, Vanterpool ties). Trade JJ, #16 for Gordon. Draft Avdija(versatile defender, passer), Kira Lewis Jr(shot-creator), resign Martin, McLaughlin. Sign Moe Harkless (10m/3yrs), Alex Len, who can play some solid defense (4m/2yrs).

KAT(30)/Len(13)/Reid(5)
Gordon(30)/Layman(18) + Vanderbilt
Harkless(10)/Avdija(30)/Okogie(8) + Martin
Beasley(30)/Okogie(18) + Nowell
DLo(30)/McLaughlin(18) + Lewis

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2019-11-04/maurice-harkless-become-swiss-army-knife-clippers
minimus
RealGM

Post#405 » by minimus » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:12 pm

One interesting question is Rosas vision about increasing role of having not only quality 6th player in the roster, but also 7th. It also correlates with having not only two stars like in 90s (MJ-Pippen, Stockton-Malone) but three legitimate stars (LeBron-Wade-Bosh, Curry-Klay-KD, LeBron-Irving-Love).

If Rosas thinks that we need three stars, I can see us trading for Booker/Beal/Hield.

If we follow LAL/LAC/HOU path, a roster can see us trading for LeVert/Gordon.
minimus
RealGM

Post#406 » by minimus » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:21 am

It is not rocket science but still interesting:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/g9o39w/7_seconds_or_less_ranking_teams_by_shot_clock/

We need players who can play fast on both ends of the floor. Who can play in open court, initiate/finish fastbreak, hit open 3s above the break etc. That's why we did not play Dieng with KAT. That's why we wont draft and keep Wiseman or Okongwu.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#407 » by Jedzz » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:58 am

minimus wrote:It is not rocket science but still interesting:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/g9o39w/7_seconds_or_less_ranking_teams_by_shot_clock/

We need players who can play fast on both ends of the floor. Who can play in open court, initiate/finish fastbreak, hit open 3s above the break etc. That's why we did not play Dieng with KAT. That's why we wont draft and keep Wiseman or Okongwu.
\

Does playing fast on both ends play to KAT's strengths?
minimus
RealGM

Post#408 » by minimus » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:36 am

Jedzz wrote:

\

The old quote from The Ringer:

His productivity came almost in spite of the way Thibs used him. The majority of his offensive possessions last season (22.5 percent) came in the post. It’s a hard way to make a living. Even though Towns was in the 85th percentile of post scorers in the league and the 70th percentile of pick-and-roll scorers, he averaged more points per possession in the latter (1.162) than the former (1.02). It’s even harder to post up without 3-point shooting around you. Towns spent 87.1 percent of his time last season next to either Taj Gibson or Gorgui Dieng upfront, neither of whom can space the floor.

His numbers in the rare situations when the Wolves went small around him are mind-boggling. His true shooting percentage (68.2 percent) in small lineups would have led the entire league over the course of the season. Towns is essentially impossible to defend one-on-one. There’s no reason to force him to battle with bigger defenders in the trenches when none of them can defend him in space. At 7 feet and 248 pounds with a 7-foot-4 wingspan, Towns is an elite shooter with the ballhandling ability to put the ball on the floor and get all the way to the rim.

Imagine what Towns could do in a spread pick-and-roll offense. He was no. 145 in the NBA in 3-point attempts per game last season, even though only 12 players ahead of him shot a higher percentage from downtown. Towns could easily double his number of 3-point attempts. He should be running around screens off the ball, knocking down 3s in pick-and-pops, and getting open 3s in transition. Minnesota played at the one of the slowest paces in the NBA last season. Towns is too athletic and too skilled to walk up the floor. He should have the ultimate green light to shoot and the freedom to push the pace himself. He has never played in a wide-open system: John Calipari parked him inside in college, while both Flip Saunders and Thibodeau used him in more traditional systems in the NBA.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/9/27/17910312/karl-anthony-towns-tom-thibodeau-wolves
minimus
RealGM

Post#409 » by minimus » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:30 pm

Read on Twitter
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#410 » by Jedzz » Fri May 1, 2020 1:38 am

minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

\

The old quote from The Ringer:

His productivity came almost in spite of the way Thibs used him. The majority of his offensive possessions last season (22.5 percent) came in the post. It’s a hard way to make a living. Even though Towns was in the 85th percentile of post scorers in the league and the 70th percentile of pick-and-roll scorers, he averaged more points per possession in the latter (1.162) than the former (1.02). It’s even harder to post up without 3-point shooting around you. Towns spent 87.1 percent of his time last season next to either Taj Gibson or Gorgui Dieng upfront, neither of whom can space the floor.

His numbers in the rare situations when the Wolves went small around him are mind-boggling. His true shooting percentage (68.2 percent) in small lineups would have led the entire league over the course of the season. Towns is essentially impossible to defend one-on-one. There’s no reason to force him to battle with bigger defenders in the trenches when none of them can defend him in space. At 7 feet and 248 pounds with a 7-foot-4 wingspan, Towns is an elite shooter with the ballhandling ability to put the ball on the floor and get all the way to the rim.

Imagine what Towns could do in a spread pick-and-roll offense. He was no. 145 in the NBA in 3-point attempts per game last season, even though only 12 players ahead of him shot a higher percentage from downtown. Towns could easily double his number of 3-point attempts. He should be running around screens off the ball, knocking down 3s in pick-and-pops, and getting open 3s in transition. Minnesota played at the one of the slowest paces in the NBA last season. Towns is too athletic and too skilled to walk up the floor. He should have the ultimate green light to shoot and the freedom to push the pace himself. He has never played in a wide-open system: John Calipari parked him inside in college, while both Flip Saunders and Thibodeau used him in more traditional systems in the NBA.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/9/27/17910312/karl-anthony-towns-tom-thibodeau-wolves

I remember. So, what if those "rare moments" while in small ball that were so beneficial only worked so well because they were rare. What if what was proposed in that writeup, to "let him push the pace" can only be achieved by KAT for a small portion of time, physically. Then what?

I didn't see KAT shooting more 3s than usual this season. But I haven't seen the numbers either, especially with his shortened season we would have to prorate to check. As far as I know this was to be "his" team this year. Did they choose to let him push the pace? Is that what was happening to start the season when the team started strong? I don't even know if it was true then. If it was, it sure didn't last long. Which is my wonder right now. Is he capable of pushing a pace long enough in any game and stay effective late into the game doing so? Or does he tire out and get sloppy doing so? Not trying to knock the guy in any way. He's a big dude. I'm questioning if that's a good plan to run him both ends all game or to expect to.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,571

Post#411 » by Klomp » Fri May 1, 2020 1:53 am

Jedzz wrote:I didn't see KAT shooting more 3s than usual this season. But I haven't seen the numbers either, especially with his shortened season we would have to prorate to check.

Per-game averages
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#412 » by Jedzz » Fri May 1, 2020 12:47 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:I didn't see KAT shooting more 3s than usual this season. But I haven't seen the numbers either, especially with his shortened season we would have to prorate to check.

Per-game averages

good work +1

So he can get more 3s in this system. At least for 35 games.
minimus
RealGM

Constructing the Timberwolves rotation 

Post#413 » by minimus » Fri May 1, 2020 5:59 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Per-game averages

good work +1

The point is not only to give KAT more 3s, but give him more freedom to control offense, create for others. In other words, we need KAT/DLo combo to be main decision makers. This problem was evident in Thibs era when JB, Teague, AW, even Rose, JC were main decision makers. All of them have below average court vision and passing skills. Now we should not have such problem. If we re-sign Beasley and KAT-Beasley-DLo trio stays healthy it should be enough to create top5 offense. Locking Reid to 1+3 deal was crucial since he looks like an ideal material for backup big in five-out system.

The problem IMO is our ability to defend against different teams/systems. I mean we must be able to defend DEN, UTA, PHI with Jokic, Gobert, Embiid today and LAL, LAC, MIL with LeBron, Kawhi/PG13, Giannis tomorrow.

Partially we should be able to do it by making opponent adjust to us, because I really think that we might build top5 offense around KAT-Beasley-DLo. But we need a pair of quality defenders who can defend and play offense in our system. For instance, I dont see Dieng type of player playing next to KAT, chasing full court a wing or running in fastbreak or launching 3s in transition. However, James Johnson does this.

We should stretch the floor in all directions:
* - towards the rim. Making right cuts, finishing lobs and alleyoops, moving well without the ball.
* - towards the perimeter. Hitting 3s, using corners, making extra passes.
* - using the whole length of the floor in transition. Running hard in fastbreak, taking and making threes above the break, filling lanes.

I still think we have not assembled right roster for such system. But you can see that Rosas tries hard. Even Graham, Bell, Vonleh fit our needs, I wish Graham showed more shooting consistency, Bell showed higher IQ and Vonleh could hit open 3s.

I cant stop thinking that if Culver’s shot was not so broken, he would already made a huge impact as 3&D player. I hope Rosas/MIN can use our assets to make right plays this offseason. It is dark time now, but all FOs in NBA are in the same situation. As for me I have a lot faith in Rosas/Gupta as decision makers.
minimus
RealGM

Post#414 » by minimus » Mon May 4, 2020 5:57 pm

I've have been re-watching Vanderbilt highlights in gleague. Some things that I noticed:

* - he has an exceptional motor, which is so refreshing after years of watching Wiggins. This is his main skills at the moment
* - despite being not particularly big he fights for rebounds, for a position. Rebounding has been a huge issue for this team
* - he has good hands, able to catch inaccurate passes
* - he reads defense and makes simple passes
* - he can hit spotup long range shots with decent shooting form
* - he is a decent, but not an elite athlete. he does not have freakish length like Siakam, or jumping ability like John Collins

I see only one big problem with Vanderbilt as our future backup PF: he can't finish with right hand and does not have advanced dribbling. In my opinion that is a big issue because a PF in our system in order to be effective in offense MUST be able to convert shots at rim.

The ideal PF candidate should have following skills:
* - can convert shots at rim with high efficiency
* - can hit open 3s with league average accuracy
* - is versatile defender
* - is active, willing, physical rebounder
* - is willing passer
* - fits 24-28 yo age window
* - has adequate contract

James Johnson fit these criteria perfectly except age and contract. We have lacked such dynamic from PF position, because Taj Gibson is a good, smart veteran, but old and slow, could not shoot 3s, never passed the ball. Saric had no vertical jump, and short wingspan limited his offense and defense. I liked Treveon Graham fit here, but he could hit anything from 3 point.

One important thing about Vanderbilt is that he missed many games when he was 18-19 yo because of injuries and now with suspended NBA 2019-20. It is safe to say that this kid has not had enough time to develop his skills and body. But I see why Rosas traded for him. We need such type of player to fill PF position, and I can see him playing PF next season if he can finish at rim. We need a solid 3&D player at SF position who can take pressure off PF position in terms of shooting.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,571

Post#415 » by Klomp » Mon May 4, 2020 7:51 pm

I've been looking around the league for acquirable players that fit the James Johnson mold, and I'm not sure any fit the bill as well as Vanderbilt could. It's still a bit of projection with him, but I like the tools I've seen.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
SaintS
Sophomore
And1: 32

Post#416 » by SaintS » Wed May 6, 2020 1:01 pm

minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:Per-game averages

good work +1

The point is not only to give KAT more 3s, but give him more freedom to control offense, create for others. In other words, we need KAT/DLo combo to be main decision makers. This problem was evident in Thibs era when JB, Teague, AW, even Rose, JC were main decision makers. All of them have below average court vision and passing skills. Now we should not have such problem. If we re-sign Beasley and KAT-Beasley-DLo trio stays healthy it should be enough to create top5 offense. Locking Reid to 1+3 deal was crucial since he looks like an ideal material for backup big in five-out system.

The problem IMO is our ability to defend against different teams/systems. I mean we must be able to defend DEN, UTA, PHI with Jokic, Gobert, Embiid today and LAL, LAC, MIL with LeBron, Kawhi/PG13, Giannis tomorrow.

Partially we should be able to do it by making opponent adjust to us, because I really think that we might build top5 offense around KAT-Beasley-DLo. But we need a pair of quality defenders who can defend and play offense in our system. For instance, I dont see Dieng type of player playing next to KAT, chasing full court a wing or running in fastbreak or launching 3s in transition. However, James Johnson does this.

* - towards the rim. Making right cuts, finishing lobs and alleyoops, moving well without the ball.
* - using the whole length of the floor in transition. Running hard in fastbreak, taking and making threes above the break, filling lanes.

I still think we have not assembled right roster for such system. But you can see that Rosas tries hard. Even Graham, Bell, Vonleh fit our needs, I wish Graham showed more shooting consistency, Bell showed higher IQ and Vonleh could hit open 3s.

I cant stop thinking that if Culver’s shot was not so broken, he would already made a huge impact as 3&D player. I hope Rosas/MIN can use our assets to make right plays this offseason. It is dark time now, but all FOs in NBA are in the same situation. As for me I have a lot faith in Rosas/Gupta as decision makers.

The biggest problem is balance between D and O.
I really don't see how a team with Dlo and KAT will be good in defence moreover if we add Beas defence will be a problem against 90% of the teams in the league. I don't see a combination of players who can make the starting 5 with Dlo - Beas - Kat below average in Difference. If we take into account limited resources of Rossas the task become really very tough, i say impossible.

Top 5 O
Why ?
Just because we give all power to Dlo and Kat ? And give plenty shoots to Denver back up ?

I really will be happy if your words become a reality and will be a first man who come and say u was right.
but why MT make such a huge jump and become better team than Bucks, Lakers, Clippers, Raptors, Celtics,Mavericks, Rockets,Jazz, Nuggets, Heat, Thunder, 76ers, Pacers, Nets
and Trail Blazers , Grizzles and Pelicans

I see better comparison with Suns where their ceiling is fighting for a 7-8 seed
minimus
RealGM

Post#417 » by minimus » Wed May 6, 2020 4:03 pm

SaintS wrote:
minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
good work +1

The biggest problem is balance between D and O.
I really don't see how a team with Dlo and KAT will be good in defence moreover if we add Beas defence will be a problem against 90% of the teams in the league. I don't see a combination of players who can make the starting 5 with Dlo - Beas - Kat below average in Difference. If we take into account limited resources of Rossas the task become really very tough, i say impossible.

Top 5 O
Why ?
Just because we give all power to Dlo and Kat ? And give plenty shoots to Denver back up ?

I really will be happy if your words become a reality and will be a first man who come and say u was right.
but why MT make such a huge jump and become better team than Bucks, Lakers, Clippers, Raptors, Celtics,Mavericks, Rockets,Jazz, Nuggets, Heat, Thunder, 76ers, Pacers, Nets
and Trail Blazers , Grizzles and Pelicans

I see better comparison with Suns where their ceiling is fighting for a 7-8 seed

The biggest problem IMO is identity. Once you build team identity you can add specific players who fit your system. That is not an impossible task. See Daniel Theiss, PJ Tucker, Lou Williams, Montrez Harrel examples.

No one says that we will compete for championship from very beginning of next season. However, that last games against MIA, LAC showed big potential of KAT-Beasley-DLo trio.
minimus
RealGM

Post#418 » by minimus » Thu May 7, 2020 7:12 am

Another example that came to my mind when I thought about MIN situation is early GSW.

* - Curry was never considered elite prospect coming in draft and first years in NBA, comboguard with weak defense, undersized for SG, no athleticism to play PG, injury prone etc. tweener
* - Klay Thompson was never considered as two way guard
* - Dray Green was selected 35th overall. tweener

What happened next? Curry was helped by medical staff, improved his balance, core strength etc to avoid injuries, improved decision making and passing skills. GSW signed team-friendly deal with him. Klay became an elite defender, Bogut taught Dray Green nuances of defense.

But more than anything else, they created a unique identity that elevated team offense and allowed role players to fit in. Barnes/Bogut/Green/Iggy/Livingston were limited offensive players but having two elite shooters allowed GSW to build around. It is their identity.

Now lets look at HOU, when they played CP3 who needed an elite screener to create in PnR they played Capella. Now they play Westbrook who is an elite athlete attacking opponent in open camp. They traded Capella, they play Tucker/RoCo at C/PF position, but
they really play RoCo-Tucker-House-Harden-Westbrook lineup because Harden and Westbrook are big guards and they can switch 1 through 5 positions. It is their identity - two elite slashers who are effective in drive and kick game.

In BOS, Kemba is below average defender, Tatum exploded this season both in defense and offense, but coming into NBA was labeled as tweener.

They play Theis-Tatum-Brown-Hayward-Walker lineup, Theiss is by far the most underrated big in NBA, super efficient player for 5 mil per year. Against MIN he had 25pts+16rbs on 63% FG, 50% 3PT. It is their identity - three big wings who can score in many ways.
minimus
RealGM

Post#419 » by minimus » Sun May 10, 2020 7:31 pm

I just watched game vs UTA on November 18, 2019.

I really think we should re-sign Martin to 1+3 deal. There are couple of reasons:

* - he finishes well at rim. He uses floaters, even from mid range. He uses off the board shots. His slashing game (and offensive skills in general) is more developed than Culver/Okogie which is understandable since he is 24 yo.
* - he is willing rebounder
* - he hustles
* - he has quick, consistent shot release
* - he is quick, big wing. At 230lbs, 6'7"with 7'+ wingspan he offers a lot of versality both in defense and offense. Both Culver and Okogie are a bit lighter/weaker, better suited to defend PoA.
* - he is a friend of DLo, they seems to enjoy play together

I think he really fits modern offense/defense that we are trying to build. His primary role should be a second/third scorer from the bench with a solid backcup PG who can run offense. I can see us playing Layman-Martin-Culver wing trio playing as bench unit. Martin and Culver needs to avoid rookie mistakes, unnecessary fouls and TOs, and Culver must fix his shot, but you can why they can play together.

P.S. I really miss KBD, since KBD-Layman-Martin never had a chance to play together with a solid С and PG. KBD could be that smallball backup PF that we need: versatile, smart, with developing 3pt shot.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#420 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 11, 2020 1:47 pm

How about adding this guy to the former Denver Nuggets group.

Jerami Grant is unlikely to pick up his $9 million player option for next season.
This isn't really "news" on Grant, but he should be an interesting free agent if he does opt out. He has really shown improvement on the offensive side, making 39.6% from deep over the last two seasons. That's way up from the 30.1% he shot in his career prior to those two years, and he's shown he's not just a dunker. Grant's off-ball defense should make him coveted in the free-agent market, and the Nuggets' interest will likely have to do with Paul Millsap's decision.

RELATED: Adam Silver
SOURCE: The Athletic
May 10, 2020, 3:04 PM ET

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves