Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: I Heart Okongwu 

Post#61 » by Marcus » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:53 pm

NBADraftroom has him mocked 3rd now.

Think a lot of his offensive potential is being overlooked. I'm guessing he's gonna surprise quite a few folks if given the space to do everything he's potentially capable of.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,370

Post#62 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:30 am

USC’s Onyeka Okongwu Is The 2020 NBA Draft’s Biggest Game-Wrecker

Looking at this year’s draft class, USC’s Onyeka Okongwu is the player that stands out amongst the rest of the big men. At 6-foot-9, with a 7-foot-1 wingspan, Okongwu has turned in a historic season for the Trojans thus far. On the year, Okongwu is averaging 16.4 points per game, 8.9 rebounds per game, 3 blocks per game and 1.1 steals per game. There hasn’t been a freshman that reached all those marks since the 1993-94 season. On top of that, Okongwu’s 8.1 defensive box plus/minus and 13.9 overall box plus/minus put him in elite company. The only other freshmen that have played significant minutes (300+) and managed to clear those benchmarks are Anthony Davis, Karl-Anthony Towns, Jaren Jackson Jr., Joel Embiid and Nerlens Noel.

Okongwu is a near-elite shot blocker in general. Nobody in this freshman class that plays at least 20 minutes per game has a higher block rate than his 10.8. It’s his combination of athleticism, length and timing that make him so good around the basket, and those tools should allow him to play the five at the next level, despite the fact that he’s a bit short for a center.

Offensively, Okongwu should be good as a rim runner immediately. According to Synergy Sports, he’s scoring 1.162 points per possession as a pick-and-roll roll man, which puts him in the 75th percentile in the country. That alone will make him good enough to help a team early in his career.

To sum things up, Okongwu checks a lot of the boxes that you’re looking for in a modern center. Given his defensive ability, opposing teams are unlikely to find ways to play him off the floor. Targeting him in the pick and roll simply won’t be effective enough. And offensively, Okongwu does enough to help take pressure off the rest of his teammates.
Forbes
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#63 » by EMG518 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:20 am

I really like him as a prospect, he looks like he will be good.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,370

Post#64 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 6, 2020 1:20 am

Onyeka Okongwu Scouting Report

Estimated 6’9.5″ with a 7’1″ wingspan

Despite his limitations as a passer, Onyeka has shown some flashes in terms of awareness and generosity: turning his head before he’s even secured the ball to survey available options on the weakside, distributing carefully-played lobs in a high-low set, and kicking out with left. Has shown flashes of interior shovel pass ability.

On occasion has shown repertoire of advanced moves: can lace together a spin into an up-and-under scoop with nice fluidity, can access reverse pivots and drop-step feints without problem. Has thrown in a couple euro-steps this year. Gets great speed and balance on the spin while keeping the ball tight, which he periodically brings out multiple times in a sequence.

Onyeka presents an option as a relatively “safe” pick with bankable rotation player equity, and his rim protection is certainly some of the best you’ll find in the draft, but it seems unlikely that he is deserving of a top-10 selection.

The Stepien
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#65 » by EMG518 » Mon Apr 6, 2020 7:14 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Despite his limitations as a passer, Onyeka has shown some flashes in terms of awareness and generosity: turning his head before he’s even secured the ball to survey available options on the weakside, distributing carefully-played lobs in a high-low set, and kicking out with left. Has shown flashes of interior shovel pass ability.

On occasion has shown repertoire of advanced moves: can lace together a spin into an up-and-under scoop with nice fluidity, can access reverse pivots and drop-step feints without problem. Has thrown in a couple euro-steps this year. Gets great speed and balance on the spin while keeping the ball tight, which he periodically brings out multiple times in a sequence.

Onyeka presents an option as a relatively “safe” pick with bankable rotation player equity, and his rim protection is certainly some of the best you’ll find in the draft, but it seems unlikely that he is deserving of a top-10 selection.

The Stepien

I can't fathom how he wouldn't be deserving of a top 10 selection.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#66 » by Marcus » Mon Apr 6, 2020 8:03 pm

EMG518 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

The Stepien

Word, who are the ten?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#67 » by karkinos » Tue Apr 7, 2020 9:37 pm

his block rate is pretty nuts for just 6'9"
numbers alone he's a fantastic prospect for future dpoy
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,118

Post#68 » by God Squad » Thu Apr 9, 2020 8:40 am

I'm on the Okongwu bandwagon. IMO he'll be better than Wiseman regardless if Wisemans hype says otherwise.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#69 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Apr 9, 2020 8:50 am

karkinos wrote:his block rate is pretty nuts for just 6'9"
numbers alone he's a fantastic prospect for future dpoy

The guy is nasty. On the college level, he looks like Ben Wallace or Rodman with his instincts and hustle. I'm not saying he will be a HOFer like Ben and Rodman but Kong seems like he has basketball magents for hands, when he rebounds and blocks shots. His offensive game is above average.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#70 » by MotownMadness » Thu Apr 9, 2020 4:45 pm

Gonna have to pay more attention to him cause he might be a legit candidate for Detroit after trading Drummond.

I usually hear alot of Bam comparisons with him
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#71 » by getrichordie » Thu Apr 9, 2020 9:28 pm

Marcus wrote:
EMG518 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote: The Stepien

Word, who are the ten?

Edwards
Ball
Hayes
Avdija
Haliburton
Anthony
Vassell
Okoro
Toppin
Wiseman

... just depends on how the draft shakes out and who likes who
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#72 » by Ruzious » Thu Apr 9, 2020 10:49 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Marcus wrote:
EMG518 wrote:

Word, who are the ten?

Edwards
Ball
Hayes
Avdija
Haliburton
Anthony
Vassell
Okoro
Toppin
Wiseman

Anything's possible, but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't have a better NBA career than most of those players. His floor might be higher than all of them, and there are no even close to sure thing stars in this draft. That combination should make him a top 5 pick in this draft, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#73 » by getrichordie » Thu Apr 9, 2020 11:21 pm

Ruzious wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Word, who are the ten?

Edwards
Ball
Hayes
Avdija
Haliburton
Anthony
Vassell
Okoro
Toppin
Wiseman

Anything's possible, but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't have a better NBA career than most of those players. His floor might be higher than all of them, and there are no even close to sure thing stars in this draft. That combination should make him a top 5 pick in this draft, imo.

I mean, it’s possible. I personally think Okungwu is being a little over-hyped. He doesn’t have elite tools but he’s a skilled at scoring and bothering shots around the rim. I’m bearish on his defense anywhere outside of the paint and against bigger bigs.

Furthermore, bigs just aren’t at a premium like they used to be. Wings and guards are. The market has become saturated with serviceable bigs.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#74 » by gswhoops » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:12 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
Edwards
Ball
Hayes
Avdija
Haliburton
Anthony
Vassell
Okoro
Toppin
Wiseman

I mean, it’s possible. I personally think Okungwu is being a little over-hyped. He doesn’t have elite tools but he’s a skilled at scoring and bothering shots around the rim. I’m bearish on his defense anywhere outside of the paint and against bigger bigs.

Furthermore, bigs just aren’t at a premium like they used to be. Wings and guards are. The market has become saturated with serviceable bigs.

I think this is especially true this offseason. There's a TON of really solid veteran big men (Harrell, Favors, Gasol, Ibaka, Whiteside, Bertans, Baynes, Plumlee, Howard, Lopez, TT, Taj Gibson, etc.) that some are going to get pushed down into the MLE range. There's also some interesting young guys to take a flier on, like Wood, Noel, Giles, Portis, etc.

If GS fell or traded down, I think they would be much better served going after a big with the MLE and spending our pick on a wing or PG where the talent pool is more abundant in the late lotto.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:42 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
Edwards
Ball
Hayes
Avdija
Haliburton
Anthony
Vassell
Okoro
Toppin
Wiseman

It's not saturated with qualiy defenders up front, and there's one tool that a lot of people ignore - it's the ability to anticipate things on defense. It's a gift, and he's got it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#76 » by getrichordie » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:12 pm

Ruzious wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Anything's possible, but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't have a better NBA career than most of those players. His floor might be higher than all of them, and there are no even close to sure thing stars in this draft. That combination should make him a top 5 pick in this draft, imo.

It's not saturated with qualiy defenders up front, and there's one tool that a lot of people ignore - it's the ability to anticipate things on defense. It's a gift, and he's got it.

He's not going to be as effective doing that in the NBA in my opinion. NBA players are more skilled at avoiding shot blockers whereas a lot of stuff in college goes on in the paint. And he won't be blocking shots when he gets switched out onto an NBA starting point guard and they take him to the rack.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:32 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

He's not going to be as effective doing that in the NBA in my opinion. NBA players are more skilled at avoiding shot blockers whereas a lot of stuff in college goes on in the paint. And he won't be blocking shots when he gets switched out onto an NBA starting point guard and they take him to the rack.

Meh, he's not going to block 4 shots a game, but he's still going to be very effective changing shots. A lot of college shot-blockers don't get many steals - he does. The fact that he gets both steals and blocks is a good indicator that he's probably going to be a very good all-around defender. As the saying goes, we shall see.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,045

Post#78 » by The-Power » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:36 pm

I worry about Okongwu's perimeter game on both ends. He's insanely effective and efficient close to the rim/in the paint, on both ends, but for me he's simply shown too little to confidently assess his ability to play effectively outside these zones. And considering the current NBA, that's a pretty big question mark. Maybe it's not important and he can adjust if needed, but maybe it's a serious flaw that will really hold him back. I don't doubt that he'll be a serviceable, long-time NBA player – but can he be a central franchise piece? I simply don't feel like I have sufficient information to confidently predict NBA future.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#79 » by clyde21 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:50 pm

The-Power wrote:I worry about Okongwu's perimeter game on both ends. He's insanely effective and efficient close to the rim/in the paint, on both ends, but for me he's simply shown too little to confidently assess his ability to play effectively outside these zones. And considering the current NBA, that's a pretty big question mark. Maybe it's not important and he can adjust if needed, but maybe it's a serious flaw that will really hold him back. I don't doubt that he'll be a serviceable, long-time NBA player – but can he be a central franchise piece? I simply don't feel like I have sufficient information to confidently predict NBA future.

those questions are even bigger for Wiseman, why high on him but not Onyeka? i have more confidence in Onyeka's ability to play at the 2nd and 3rd levels than I do Wiseman tbh.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,045

Post#80 » by The-Power » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:14 pm

clyde21 wrote:
The-Power wrote:I worry about Okongwu's perimeter game on both ends. He's insanely effective and efficient close to the rim/in the paint, on both ends, but for me he's simply shown too little to confidently assess his ability to play effectively outside these zones. And considering the current NBA, that's a pretty big question mark. Maybe it's not important and he can adjust if needed, but maybe it's a serious flaw that will really hold him back. I don't doubt that he'll be a serviceable, long-time NBA player – but can he be a central franchise piece? I simply don't feel like I have sufficient information to confidently predict NBA future.

those questions are even bigger for Wiseman, why high on him but not Onyeka? i have more confidence in Onyeka's ability to play at the 2nd and 3rd levels than I do Wiseman tbh.

The answer is fairly simple: size. I actually agree with you that Okongwu seems more likely to be more of a factor outside the paint – but as with Wiseman, I can't be sure. The difference for me is that I have little doubt that Wiseman will be very effective and dominant in the paint at the next level due to his physical profile (he's an obvious 5 with elite length and a good frame), whereas I'm more worried that Okongwu's strengths won't translate seamlessly (he plays like a 5, and effectively so in college, but really has the size of a 4). Which doesn't mean that I doubt he'll be a good player in the paint; I'm just less confident that he'll be a dominant one, and that was what made him so special in college.

edit: And to be clear, I still have Okongwu as the second or third best big in the class and he's in the lottery on my big board. So it's not that I don't like him as a prospect – I just wouldn't touch him in the top 5 even in a draft that is this weak at the top.

Return to NBA Draft